Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? 12:36 - Feb 27 with 1726 viewsPendejo

Have just watched ITV4 showing the Liverpool v Arsenal title decided 1989, not for the first time in the last year, that climax just edges Massive Citeh v KewPRas the best finale because it's at Anfield, Liverpool could have won the league and Arsenal had to win by 2 goals.

Then thought of other games non Ipswich games I'd watch highlights of repeatedly:-
FA Cup Final 87 Coventry 3 Spurs 2
FA Cup Final 79 Arsenal 3 Manure 2
European Cup Final 94 Barcelona 0 Milan 4
FA Cup SF 91 Arsenal 1 Spurs 3
And pretty much anything showing the magic of George Best of Gazza

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 12:41 - Feb 27 with 1701 viewsLord_Lucan

Yeah, that game does it for me because it was still when football was real.

Watched it in The Racecourse and it remains my most vivid non Ipswich, not country match ever.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 12:48 - Feb 27 with 1678 viewsNthsuffolkblue

As you say, that game was the closest finish in the top flight ever. There is no doubt that if it had been the Premier League, Sky would rank it higher.

Michael Thomas with the goal that won the title. Even then, Liverpool scoring one would have handed them the title instead.

Aguero for Citeh was right at the death and Man U had already finished thinking/hoping they had won it but the top two against each other finishing by the finest of margins was better.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 12:55 - Feb 27 with 1661 viewsLord_Lucan

It was really amazing actually

RIP Rocky Rocastle!

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 13:19 - Feb 27 with 1619 viewsSteve_M

Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 12:55 - Feb 27 by Lord_Lucan

It was really amazing actually

RIP Rocky Rocastle!

It now seems very weird to see keepers picking up back passes.

Amazing finish, all so soon after Hillsborough too.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 13:26 - Feb 27 with 1600 viewsbluesym

The Man City game vs Qpr,Auerrrrooooooooo to win the title. I have Man City supporters in the family,was a special moment.

Wimbledon 1 Liverpool 0 fa Cup 88

Chesterfield,then managed by John Duncan vs Middlesbrough in the FA Cup in the 90s.

Poll: Is Micheal Mcintyre actually funny?

Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 13:31 - Feb 27 with 1580 viewsjayessess

the finale of the 1999 Champions League final always get me.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 13:34 - Feb 27 with 1574 viewsThe_Major

The two FAC Semi Finals of 1990. Palace 4-3 Liverpool and Oldham 3-3 Man Utd. First year they'd been shown live, and the BBC couldn't believe their luck.

Also the 98 play off final Charlton v Sunderland 4-4. Nutter match.
Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 13:34 - Feb 27 with 1574 viewsjaykay

11 years old watching in my nannas front room. never forget it. 10 goals in a European final.
i give you

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Login to get fewer ads

Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 13:39 - Feb 27 with 1557 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Scum getting hit for 6 at Fulham when staying up was in their hands.
Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 13:45 - Feb 27 with 1545 viewsThe_Major

Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 13:39 - Feb 27 by DropCliffsNotBombs

I have never known a more spectacular implosion. I mean, yes, we were in the same position when we went down in 2002, and yes, we got thumped 5-0, but that was at Anfield!
Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 13:48 - Feb 27 with 1533 viewsMach_foreignBlue

1982 World Cup

Brazil 2-3 Italy

So epic game of football. Brazil looked unstoppable during that WC and then late Paolo Rossi made his own show.
Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 13:50 - Feb 27 with 1531 viewsjudespiveyg

Spurs vs City Champions League QF 2nd leg 2019 was pretty special.
Barcelona vs United Champions League final 2011 was footballing perfection from Barca.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 13:51 - Feb 27 with 1529 viewsChurchman

Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 13:39 - Feb 27 by DropCliffsNotBombs

I enjoyed every morsel of that game.
Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 14:00 - Feb 27 with 1511 viewsWeWereZombies

I don't have an particular love for Argentina as a footballing nation but this game from the 2006 World Cup made me glad to be alive, and Serbia were not shabby either despite getting hammered 6-0.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 14:30 - Feb 27 with 1475 viewsBluearmy71

I can honestly say that there isn't any game I would watch tirelessly that is non Ipswich!

A possible exception would be if England won the World Cup in my lifetime!

The F.A Cup matches the OP mentions were all superb games tbf!
Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 14:41 - Feb 27 with 1458 viewsTrumptonBlue

The 1979 Arsenal v Man Utd Cup Final mentioned in the OP was an absolute stinker until the last five minutes.
Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 14:46 - Feb 27 with 1438 viewsbluelagos

Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 12:48 - Feb 27 by Nthsuffolkblue

As you say, that game was the closest finish in the top flight ever. There is no doubt that if it had been the Premier League, Sky would rank it higher.

Michael Thomas with the goal that won the title. Even then, Liverpool scoring one would have handed them the title instead.

Aguero for Citeh was right at the death and Man U had already finished thinking/hoping they had won it but the top two against each other finishing by the finest of margins was better.

The thing I loved most about the Aguero goal was the clip of the Man U fans at Sunderland, waiting confirmation of the draw (to give Utd the title) and one guy listening to his radio says "They've scored" to all those around him. A beautiful moment.

At that same moment a Man U supporting mate (mad Tommy) put his fist through the ceiling in the pub in Lagos, making it all the sweeter.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 14:49 - Feb 27 with 1432 viewsbluelagos

For me, it would be Brazil v France and France v Germany from the 80s World Cups. Platini was the DDBs but managed not to win a World Cup somehow.

Sometimes the beautiful game is far from fair...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 10:51 - Feb 28 with 1350 viewsWeWereZombies

Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 14:49 - Feb 27 by bluelagos

For me, it would be Brazil v France and France v Germany from the 80s World Cups. Platini was the DDBs but managed not to win a World Cup somehow.

Sometimes the beautiful game is far from fair...

See also the 1978 World Cup final between Argentina and the Netherlands:

'The start of the final was mired in controversy, as the Dutch accused the Argentines of using stalling tactics to delay the match, causing tension to build in front of a hostile Buenos Aires crowd. The host team eventually came out five minutes late after the audience was whipped into a frenzy. The Argentines also questioned the legality of a plaster cast on René van de Kerkhof's wrist, despite him having worn it in earlier games without objections, causing the Dutch to threaten to walk off the pitch; the Italian referee, Sergio Gonella, upheld the complaints and forced Van de Kerkhof to apply extra bandage. In retaliation, the Netherlands team refused to attend the post-match ceremonies.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_FIFA_World_Cup_Final

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 11:38 - Feb 28 with 1323 viewsLord_Lucan

Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 10:51 - Feb 28 by WeWereZombies

See also the 1978 World Cup final between Argentina and the Netherlands:

'The start of the final was mired in controversy, as the Dutch accused the Argentines of using stalling tactics to delay the match, causing tension to build in front of a hostile Buenos Aires crowd. The host team eventually came out five minutes late after the audience was whipped into a frenzy. The Argentines also questioned the legality of a plaster cast on René van de Kerkhof's wrist, despite him having worn it in earlier games without objections, causing the Dutch to threaten to walk off the pitch; the Italian referee, Sergio Gonella, upheld the complaints and forced Van de Kerkhof to apply extra bandage. In retaliation, the Netherlands team refused to attend the post-match ceremonies.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_FIFA_World_Cup_Final

That Argie side were brilliant but that game was massively fixed - in fact the whole tournament was.

Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 13:07 - Feb 28 with 1274 viewsBluedanW

Liverpool v arsenal was great as my Dad was a gooner.

Coventry v spurs 87 another as my uncle who was a great guy was at Wembley supporting the sky blues.

Best England game has to be 5-1 in Munich. Wow

1986 world Cup Belgium v Russia 4-3 what a game

As for town, play off final, thrashing Norwich 5 nil and one of the best away games I've ever been at Barnsley 3-3 from 3 down
Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 13:43 - Feb 28 with 1250 viewsTrequartista

Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 11:38 - Feb 28 by Lord_Lucan

That Argie side were brilliant but that game was massively fixed - in fact the whole tournament was.

Apart from the first two Scottish games, where they were genuinely hopeless, so no intervention was needed.

I had wondered for years why they had the black stripes on the goalposts. I read a few months ago that they were, in effect, black armbands, painted on by the ground staff and presented to those in power as a new style, but secretly a show of solidarity for the disappeared.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 14:01 - Feb 28 with 1212 viewssolemio

Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 13:34 - Feb 27 by jaykay

11 years old watching in my nannas front room. never forget it. 10 goals in a European final.
i give you

My wife's uncle was due to be linesman for this great match, but the ref was taken ill a couple of days before the game and in those circumstances they change the whole team of officials.

He was sad about this ever after - unsurprisingly.
Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 15:52 - Feb 28 with 1163 viewspatrickswell

Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 13:45 - Feb 27 by The_Major

I have never known a more spectacular implosion. I mean, yes, we were in the same position when we went down in 2002, and yes, we got thumped 5-0, but that was at Anfield!

Point of order but it wasn’t in our hands on the last day in 2002. We needed to win and for Sunderland to lose to already relegated Derby. That match finished a 1-1 draw, so even if we had won, we would have gone down.
Non Ipswich games you never tire of watching? on 16:00 - Feb 28 with 1152 viewsEnigma_Blue

For me it would be the Liverpoo v Everton FA cup final in 1989. It was the first FA cup final that I watched from start to finish, was a great game and gave the Liverpool supporters a little bit of happiness after the horror of Hilsborough.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024