Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I do worry about the future of Portman Road 15:08 - Feb 27 with 12227 viewsGavTWTD

If this takeover happens, I think there's a real possibility of them wanting to own their own ground. I have little to base this on, apart from it costs a lot of money to keep the ground maintained. If they are looking at adding value then a new ground is one way of doing it. Happy to be corrected as Portman Road is important to me as a fan.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:10 - Feb 27 with 5764 viewsjeera

Don't know what to say to this other than it's something that always potentially hangs over the club's head I suppose.

Agree that anything other than PR would feel wrong.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:14 - Feb 27 with 5707 viewsnodge_blue

I would have thought the opposite. Why would they want to spend multi millions on a new ground when they need to get the team promoted?

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:14 - Feb 27 with 5655 viewschrismakin

You thinking about a 15000 seater in copdock

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:16 - Feb 27 with 5646 viewsScuzzer

Ground share with Col U

Established 1968

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:17 - Feb 27 with 5643 viewsstringy

I would have shared your concern more in a pre-Covid world; the model for these edge-of-town sports complexes was surely based on bundling with shopping malls and hotels. Arguably malls/in person shopping of all kinds has been dealt such a blow by online commerce, massively accelerated during the pandemic, that I think this kind of ground development would be pretty risky for now.
I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:19 - Feb 27 with 5609 viewsTrequartista

Snoasis Stadium - good access from the Northern Bypass.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:19 - Feb 27 with 5610 viewshomer_123

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:14 - Feb 27 by nodge_blue

I would have thought the opposite. Why would they want to spend multi millions on a new ground when they need to get the team promoted?

Adds significant value to the club.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:20 - Feb 27 with 5590 viewsGuthrum

Getting rid of the PR site wouldn't give them much. It's not like they can sell the land for development.

Would have thought the cost of buying land and building a new stadium would more than offset any savings on maintenance in anything but the longest term.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:21 - Feb 27 with 5524 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

A new stadium would cost an absolute fortune, not sure how it would be viable at all.

Also, we have a long leasehold at a reasonable ground rent, it's not a problem.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:21 - Feb 27 with 5565 viewsGuthrum

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:19 - Feb 27 by homer_123

But costs a lot of money to set up.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:21 - Feb 27 with 5488 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:19 - Feb 27 by homer_123

I'm not sure it does in terms of profit or return on investment.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:23 - Feb 27 with 5489 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Basing it on Brentford’s new stadium you’re talking £80-100m for a new place. Depends on their level of investment I guess but that feels like an awful lot, especially when we don’t own the Portman Road land to sell on and offset the cost.
I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:26 - Feb 27 with 5427 viewstownblue

If we moved from walking distance of the train station, I'd probably stop going.
I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:29 - Feb 27 with 5365 viewsThe_Major

Move into Foxhall and dodge the bikes.
I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:42 - Feb 27 with 5221 viewsGodBlue

I'm sure they'll consider it, especially if they can't come to an agreement to buy the land under PR.

That said, my first thought went to them redeveloping areas around the ground, if they can get their hands on that too. Listening to BJ talk about Rhode Island and the new development for Phoenix in AZ, he's a fan of his clubs being a 365 day a year thing, not just a match day thing. There's an argument that the best place for that to happen is in the middle of town, so who knows.

Poll: After 778 days, what’s improved since Paul Lambert arrived?

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:51 - Feb 27 with 5047 viewsjayessess

Can't see that how the finances would work for building a new stadium somewhere else. Where's the profit on it?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:52 - Feb 27 with 5007 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:29 - Feb 27 by The_Major

Move into Foxhall and dodge the bikes.

Pitch would be about as good as now.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:52 - Feb 27 with 5005 viewsKesgrave_Exile

I think irrespective of the takeover the stadium need is something that needs serious redevelopment as it's been neglected for too long. I suspect any stadium development may will be part of a wider regeneration around the stadium including residential, leisure and retail surrounding it. Don't get me wrong it's a stadium of charatcter, memories and history unfortunately redevelopment will be needed to increase the club's revenue streams.
I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:53 - Feb 27 with 4993 viewsbudgiebasher

I think that a new stadium development must be one of their possible plans. Johnson owns a real estate investment company. Phoenix Rising which he owns has recently detailed plans to develop a new stadium and he is involved in launching a new Championship team in Rhode Island at cost of $300 million is being invested including stadium.

Poll: Who should be the next manager of ITFC

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:54 - Feb 27 with 4938 viewschrismakin

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:53 - Feb 27 by budgiebasher

I think that a new stadium development must be one of their possible plans. Johnson owns a real estate investment company. Phoenix Rising which he owns has recently detailed plans to develop a new stadium and he is involved in launching a new Championship team in Rhode Island at cost of $300 million is being invested including stadium.

He likes 365 day usage sports stadiums.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:54 - Feb 27 with 4950 viewsfooters

Dare to dream, Gav. It's the year 2030, we're in Europe again playing the top sides at the new Ipswich City Soccerball Arena.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:55 - Feb 27 with 4894 viewschrismakin

Gavs mrs allows him to have between 3pm and 4.55pm.

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:57 - Feb 27 with 4881 viewsGavTWTD

Why's that?

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:57 - Feb 27 with 4867 viewsjayessess

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:53 - Feb 27 by budgiebasher

But I don't see where the money is in developing a new stadium for a sports team that doesn't fill their existing one?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:57 - Feb 27 with 1811 viewsSwansea_Blue

I do worry about the future of Portman Road on 15:21 - Feb 27 by Marshalls_Mullet

I'm not sure it does in terms of profit or return on investment.

Add a new ground and get us in the Prem and we'd be worth £120m+ probably in this day and age. Swansea were valued at £100m 4 years ago or so and their ground is only 20,000 capacity with barely any retail. Mind you, it'd cost £30-50m to build a half decent one.

I think Gav's right to be worried.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024