Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have this consortium even got any money? 15:22 - Feb 28 with 4782 viewsMrTown

Was excited with initial news, but the more I read, I worry about the supposed takeover?

Do they have any capital themselves?

I find it hard to see how a fund backed club who operate at a hefty loss per year will end well.

Someone counter with a bit of positivity please.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:24 - Feb 28 with 3264 viewsBluedanW

I wouldn't want to be a firefighter or police officer from whichever states pension fund that is apparently being invested in us. I hope they do better with the funds than Marcus Evans has done
Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:26 - Feb 28 with 3231 viewsjayessess

It doesn't seem like they do, no.

The positive part is that they have to succeed to make any money, there's no other way they can realise any value from the club otherwise.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:28 - Feb 28 with 3201 viewsMrTown

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:26 - Feb 28 by jayessess

The positive part is that they have to succeed to make any money, there's no other way they can realise any value from the club otherwise.

Wonderful, so the club really will be in trouble in 5 years.

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:28 - Feb 28 with 3191 viewsMrTown

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:24 - Feb 28 by BluedanW

I wouldn't want to be a firefighter or police officer from whichever states pension fund that is apparently being invested in us. I hope they do better with the funds than Marcus Evans has done

This won’t end well I fear.

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:31 - Feb 28 with 3143 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Think I read they pumped 400 million into a club, may be wrong, Can anyone back this up?
Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:31 - Feb 28 with 3137 viewsjayessess

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:28 - Feb 28 by MrTown

Wonderful, so the club really will be in trouble in 5 years.

The reality for any football club in the 21st Century is that you are at the whims of different shades of capitalist, I don't think this takeover changes much in that regard.

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:33 - Feb 28 with 3126 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:24 - Feb 28 by BluedanW

They'll be using a tiny fraction of the pension fund. For example, the services pension fund for Arizona is around $440 BILLION!

It's normal to invest most of a pension fund in relatively safe investments and a bit on riskier ones which may have potentially higher rewards to balance out that risk.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:34 - Feb 28 with 3095 viewsIllinoisblue

They have plenty of other people’s money.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:37 - Feb 28 with 3022 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Do you have any money? All you seem to have is numbers on paper and bank statements.

They have access to funds that they are able to use. It is a risky investment on which they want a good return but which comes at a known risk that they might get little other than their initial investment back. I think they do not anticipate any real potential for the club to be of lower value than it currently is which is why they are looking at us and not someone like Lincoln.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:40 - Feb 28 with 2985 viewsChurchman

Anything that loosens the dead fingers of Evans off the club is fine by me. The club is dying anyway. As it stands, we are likely to be in League Two within a couple of years. Evidence? The last 13 years where 2 years of MM apart, we have shrunk year on year.

If ITFC is taken over and it all goes wrong, we will be in no worse position. For me it’s pretty much a no lose gamble.
Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:41 - Feb 28 with 2979 viewsBlueBorn86

We don’t have any money now. Marcus has always said he would only sell if it’s in the best interests of the club, so hopefully this is the case. The fact he (according to reports) maintains 5% stake in the club leads me to believe he is thinks the new owners could get us into the big time and the he can recoup some of his last money.

All a gamble though isn’t it?
Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:44 - Feb 28 with 2931 viewsMrTown

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:31 - Feb 28 by abracaDOBRA_

Think I read they pumped 400 million into a club, may be wrong, Can anyone back this up?

Yeah that’s incorrect. That applied for a $400m redevelopment of an area, which included a football stadium - along with other components: retail, office spaces, residential.

They have 20-25% backed by the state, and the last interview I saw from Johnson he had an additional $100m in verbal support.

Seemingly quite good at spending other people’s money.

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:44 - Feb 28 with 2953 viewsitfcjoe

There was an interesting comment underneath the article on The Atheltic by one of the author's of the piece Matt Slater

Question
What's the plan here? Is American money in football smart money or dumb money? Is it significant cost control so Ipswich can make money (I'll believe it when I see it). Is there some delusion here about all you need is a great manager and you'll get to the PL and you can flip it for 10x what you paid (to who) Or is it £17.5m for a bit of fun?

Whenever an American buys a PL club I always think that they're hoping to create a closed shop up top so they can make some money, this I don't really get.

Reply by Matt Slater
Good questions, Alex, and ones I've been asking (and answering, hopefully) in pieces and pods for about a year. I suspect we're still at the start of what will be a wave of US investment in European football over the next couple of years. Why? Well, interest rates are zero or close to zero, so there's a lot of money looking for a return. The value of US sports franchises has been rising for decades and they're now very, very expensive. The last MLS franchise went for $350m and it wasn't even in a big market. European football clubs, on the other hand, are much cheaper and Covid is making them cheaper. These investors also believe that pro sport is a fundamentally solid investment, as clubs don't tend to fold and we all still like going to games or watching on TV. And finally, they think that European TV rights are under valued. They look at the price US broadcasters have to pay for the NFL, MLB etc and think, 'wow, there's a lot more upside over there'. So that's why they're coming. FWIW, I'm told that Brett and his group are very smart guys. They all say that, of course, but I have met some club owners who definitely aren't really smart.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:46 - Feb 28 with 2893 viewsMrTown

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:37 - Feb 28 by Nthsuffolkblue

Do you have any money? All you seem to have is numbers on paper and bank statements.

They have access to funds that they are able to use. It is a risky investment on which they want a good return but which comes at a known risk that they might get little other than their initial investment back. I think they do not anticipate any real potential for the club to be of lower value than it currently is which is why they are looking at us and not someone like Lincoln.

No I suppose it is all paper.

But a time will come we will have to return the paper we borrow, plus interest.

We operate a big loss currently - £700,000 per month.

Can’t see how it’s sustainable or successful.

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:47 - Feb 28 with 2875 viewsMrTown

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:40 - Feb 28 by Churchman

Anything that loosens the dead fingers of Evans off the club is fine by me. The club is dying anyway. As it stands, we are likely to be in League Two within a couple of years. Evidence? The last 13 years where 2 years of MM apart, we have shrunk year on year.

If ITFC is taken over and it all goes wrong, we will be in no worse position. For me it’s pretty much a no lose gamble.

If it all goes wrong we will be in a significantly worse position than we are now.

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:48 - Feb 28 with 2870 viewsjas0999

They will invest at the levels required to get us promoted and challenge in the championship.
Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:52 - Feb 28 with 2797 viewsRegencyBlue

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:47 - Feb 28 by MrTown

If it all goes wrong we will be in a significantly worse position than we are now.

If Evans stays we will end up in a significantly worse position than we are now!
Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:55 - Feb 28 with 2755 viewsMrTown

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:44 - Feb 28 by itfcjoe

There was an interesting comment underneath the article on The Atheltic by one of the author's of the piece Matt Slater

Question
What's the plan here? Is American money in football smart money or dumb money? Is it significant cost control so Ipswich can make money (I'll believe it when I see it). Is there some delusion here about all you need is a great manager and you'll get to the PL and you can flip it for 10x what you paid (to who) Or is it £17.5m for a bit of fun?

Whenever an American buys a PL club I always think that they're hoping to create a closed shop up top so they can make some money, this I don't really get.

Reply by Matt Slater
Good questions, Alex, and ones I've been asking (and answering, hopefully) in pieces and pods for about a year. I suspect we're still at the start of what will be a wave of US investment in European football over the next couple of years. Why? Well, interest rates are zero or close to zero, so there's a lot of money looking for a return. The value of US sports franchises has been rising for decades and they're now very, very expensive. The last MLS franchise went for $350m and it wasn't even in a big market. European football clubs, on the other hand, are much cheaper and Covid is making them cheaper. These investors also believe that pro sport is a fundamentally solid investment, as clubs don't tend to fold and we all still like going to games or watching on TV. And finally, they think that European TV rights are under valued. They look at the price US broadcasters have to pay for the NFL, MLB etc and think, 'wow, there's a lot more upside over there'. So that's why they're coming. FWIW, I'm told that Brett and his group are very smart guys. They all say that, of course, but I have met some club owners who definitely aren't really smart.

I’m not sure that answer given by Matt Slater bares any resemblance to Ipswich Town in League 1 - especially when he is talking about MLS franchise values and TV rights over there.

There is of course a difference between been smart and rich, and this is a rich mans game.

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:56 - Feb 28 with 2715 viewsFreddies_Ears

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:26 - Feb 28 by jayessess

Their interest in Town is being able to get a return out of selling younger players out of the Academy for profit - that is their model elsewhere, and it is the only compelling reason to invest in ITFC v other clubs.
Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:57 - Feb 28 with 2710 viewsWD19

On one level, the only thing that has mattered over the last decade or so is that Town are at a sufficiently high level to make the cut when Premier League 2 comes along and the door slams shut.

Town have the history and the geography, but they really do need to be in the Top 2 divisions when it happens. Investment (no salary cap) and a proper manager now can hopefully get us back there just in the nick of time.
Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:57 - Feb 28 with 2695 viewsMrTown

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:48 - Feb 28 by jas0999

They will invest at the levels required to get us promoted and challenge in the championship.

Let’s hope it’s as simple as that and doesn’t go Pete Tong.

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:59 - Feb 28 with 2670 viewsMrTown

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:56 - Feb 28 by Freddies_Ears

Their interest in Town is being able to get a return out of selling younger players out of the Academy for profit - that is their model elsewhere, and it is the only compelling reason to invest in ITFC v other clubs.

Are we realistically going to sell players worth £7m per year from the academy?

That’s only to break even.

Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:01 - Feb 28 with 2647 viewsjayessess

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:56 - Feb 28 by Freddies_Ears

That we're cheap for a club with a Category 2 academy might be one reason why they're interested, but realistically selling on our academy players is not going to generate them a very consistent profit.

Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:01 - Feb 28 with 2638 viewsScuzzer

At last somebody else have noticed this. If we can align this with the comment made by Evan's, about providing future investment, it leads me to think that contact has already been made in some ways and Marcus is just as worried about this issue.

Established 1968

Have this consortium even got any money? on 16:02 - Feb 28 with 2614 viewsDavidMcGoldrought

Have this consortium even got any money? on 15:46 - Feb 28 by MrTown

No I suppose it is all paper.

But a time will come we will have to return the paper we borrow, plus interest.

We operate a big loss currently - £700,000 per month.

Can’t see how it’s sustainable or successful.

The way that improves is through player sales. Look at what Ashton has done at Bristol City, since he has been there they have sold:

A. Webster - 20mil
L. Kelly - 13mil
J. Brownhill - 9mil
B. Reid - 10mil
A. Flint - 8mil
J. Bryan - 6mil

They have a “buy low, sell high” philosophy; along with developing young players. Ashton, would be bound to bring this with him to Ipswich.

If Ipswich get to a situation where you can start selling a player or two for 10 million a season we will start to become more sustainable.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024