Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Beatles or The Kinks? 21:19 - Feb 28 with 1426 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Obviously both fantastic bands who shaped music to be what it is now. I love both bands a lot.

But I cannot listen to both bands and not feel that The Kinks are a little bit better. Perhaps the Beatles released more good songs, but the Kinks better songs were better than the Beatles better songs. Or at least that is how I see it.

Would be interesting to hear other peoples opinions on this.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

The Beatles or The Kinks? on 21:57 - Feb 28 with 1365 viewsfactual_blue

I would say Ray Davies wrote a number of songs with truly great lyrics, songs telling a story in three minutes. 'Lola', 'Waterloo Sunset', and 'Sunny Afternoon' immediately spring to mind.

The Beatles 'started it all', were better musicians and were truly and remarkably innovative within the techno logical constraints of the sixties - ably assisted by George Martin.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

The Beatles or The Kinks? on 22:04 - Feb 28 with 1350 viewsWickwar_Blue

The sheer breadth of The Beatles material makes them the greatest. A band that began with She Loves You, Love Me Do etc and evolved to create tracks like Tomorrow Never Knows and Helter Skelter.

At their peak Lennon and McCartney were peerless. And then they let George Harrison in on the act too. Remarkable.
The Beatles or The Kinks? on 22:14 - Feb 28 with 1334 viewsPJH

I love them both.

The Beatles were probably better musically than The Kinks but lyrically I put Sir Raymond Douglas Davies as the better song writer.

Truly great groups from an era of great groups.

I bought You Really Got Me in 1964 but not sure which my first Beatles single was but probably it was She Loves You.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2021 22:26]
The Beatles or The Kinks? on 22:22 - Feb 28 with 1315 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

The Beatles or The Kinks? on 22:14 - Feb 28 by PJH

I love them both.

The Beatles were probably better musically than The Kinks but lyrically I put Sir Raymond Douglas Davies as the better song writer.

Truly great groups from an era of great groups.

I bought You Really Got Me in 1964 but not sure which my first Beatles single was but probably it was She Loves You.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2021 22:26]

Great stuff.

Ray Davies is one hell of a story teller.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

The Beatles or The Kinks? on 22:27 - Feb 28 with 1304 viewsLevelTheLand

I don't know enough about The Kinks, but I've never really got The Beatles. That's not to say they didn't have some good songs, but they're not a band I listen to regularly.

So, basically, I've nothing to add to this debate.
The Beatles or The Kinks? on 22:27 - Feb 28 with 1300 viewsthebooks

Kinks for me. The music's beautiful and the lyrics poetic; it never ages and there's tons of stuff to discover (been listening to Demolition recently and it's great!)

Never really got into the Beatles.
The Beatles or The Kinks? on 22:32 - Feb 28 with 1290 viewsjaykay

The Beatles or The Kinks? on 21:57 - Feb 28 by factual_blue

I would say Ray Davies wrote a number of songs with truly great lyrics, songs telling a story in three minutes. 'Lola', 'Waterloo Sunset', and 'Sunny Afternoon' immediately spring to mind.

The Beatles 'started it all', were better musicians and were truly and remarkably innovative within the techno logical constraints of the sixties - ably assisted by George Martin.

the best story in lyrics ray davies ever wrote is this

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

The Beatles or The Kinks? on 22:59 - Feb 28 with 1268 viewsEireannach_gorm

My favourite.

Login to get fewer ads

The Beatles or The Kinks? on 23:14 - Feb 28 with 1258 viewsjeera

You say you want a revolution, well you know.

We all want to change the world.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The Beatles or The Kinks? on 23:19 - Feb 28 with 1251 viewsnorfsufblue

The Beatles or The Kinks? on 22:32 - Feb 28 by jaykay

the best story in lyrics ray davies ever wrote is this

Absolutely, gets better the futher I get away from my youth tbh!r
The Beatles or The Kinks? on 23:44 - Feb 28 with 1226 viewsEnigma_Blue

Neither. The Rolling Stones were better than both of them.
The Beatles or The Kinks? on 23:46 - Feb 28 with 1221 viewsSpruceMoose

The Beatles or The Kinks? on 23:44 - Feb 28 by Enigma_Blue

Neither. The Rolling Stones were better than both of them.

Oof. Really? Nothing but a derivative pub band for this Moose.

As for this debate, I'm siding with The Kinks.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

The Beatles or The Kinks? on 23:46 - Feb 28 with 1217 viewsBLUEBEAT

The Kinks

100%

Poll: W or W

The Beatles or The Kinks? on 04:20 - Mar 1 with 1171 viewsbluewhite

The Beatles or The Kinks? on 22:04 - Feb 28 by Wickwar_Blue

The sheer breadth of The Beatles material makes them the greatest. A band that began with She Loves You, Love Me Do etc and evolved to create tracks like Tomorrow Never Knows and Helter Skelter.

At their peak Lennon and McCartney were peerless. And then they let George Harrison in on the act too. Remarkable.

Talking about the "sheer breadth of material", The Kinks created one of the best - and as usual, most intelligent - disco dance singles ever: "(Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman".
The Beatles or The Kinks? on 07:33 - Mar 1 with 1108 viewsGlasgowBlue

I love the Kinks but it’s the Beatles for me.

More talent in the band. The two greatest songwriters, with a third writer who could weigh in with stuff like Taxman, While Amy Guitar Gently Weeps, Here Comes the Sun and Somethung.

The Beatles were also trendsetters who influenced everybody from the Jam to the Chemical Brothers.

Ray Davies had a remarkable knack of writing beautifully crafted songs about everyday life, but I would say Kinks songs were soap operas whereas the a Beatles songs were big screen blockbusters.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The Beatles or The Kinks? on 07:44 - Mar 1 with 1091 viewsPJH

The Beatles or The Kinks? on 07:33 - Mar 1 by GlasgowBlue

I love the Kinks but it’s the Beatles for me.

More talent in the band. The two greatest songwriters, with a third writer who could weigh in with stuff like Taxman, While Amy Guitar Gently Weeps, Here Comes the Sun and Somethung.

The Beatles were also trendsetters who influenced everybody from the Jam to the Chemical Brothers.

Ray Davies had a remarkable knack of writing beautifully crafted songs about everyday life, but I would say Kinks songs were soap operas whereas the a Beatles songs were big screen blockbusters.

I agree with most of your post but THIS is quite big screen.
The Beatles or The Kinks? on 12:49 - Mar 1 with 1029 viewsSharkey

The Beatles or The Kinks? on 22:22 - Feb 28 by TRUE_BLUE123

Great stuff.

Ray Davies is one hell of a story teller.

But for story telling, it's impossible to beat 'She's Leaving Home'.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024