Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
For those of you linking the hoped for departure of Lambert with the new..... 22:52 - Feb 28 with 3441 viewsunstableblue

... consortium

And perhaps therefore looking at the consortia with somewhat rose tinted glasses

Well Lambert HAS gone

And I’m not sure Bristol City fans give Ashton quite the glowing recommendation that we all know the new CEO desperately needs (gulp):

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/211190-ipswich-town-takeover-mark-ashton

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Bristol fans views view of Ashton ain’t pretty people on 22:55 - Feb 28 with 3220 viewsunstableblue

Perhaps I’d take Marcus staying as long as he funds and gives over manager selection and club control to a dynamic team..... is this consortium really passing the sniff test?
[Post edited 28 Feb 2021 22:57]

ashton comes across well in this interview on 23:03 - Feb 28 with 3129 viewsunstableblue

And certainly no Ian Milne

But Holden did not last despite a win ratio that puts all Marcus appointments to shame

But surely getting Nigel Pearson is a coup for Ashton

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/ashton-welcomes-holden-into-new-role/
[Post edited 28 Feb 2021 23:42]

For those of you linking the hoped for departure of Lambert with the new..... on 23:06 - Feb 28 with 3070 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

For those of you linking the hoped for departure of Lambert with the new..... on 23:11 - Feb 28 with 3003 viewsunstableblue

For those of you linking the hoped for departure of Lambert with the new..... on 23:06 - Feb 28 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

I think you’re right Bryan... if Marcus had done what Norwich or Brentford had done, not made the manager selections himself, ceded control to a dynamic and qualified team

As you say what will be will be... BUT the Bristol City fans view of his track record of football and club operations is absolutely damming

SUMMARY OF BRISTOL FANS ON ASHTON on 00:18 - Mar 1 with 2853 viewsunstableblue

Errrrrrrr

It’s really really not good - just read tens and tens of posts on the Bristol City forum

If you were to summarise it... a smooth operator, talks a good approach, but has made a complete hash of Player sales and recruitment, and manager (oh the irony) selection... and has weakened club

Interestingly and worryingly the City fans feel he’s ‘on the naughty step’ and has not been visible in and around the appointment of Nigel Pearson

Hope this is not as concerning as it looks

––––––+––––––––-
Steve (owner) - you said on radio Bristol on Monday that Mark Ashton “get’s a lot of stick from the fans…but it’s unjustified…..it’s easy to do that, everybody’s looking for a scapegoat…..he deserves a lot of praise for what he’s done”.

Well - this is what he’s done and this is why many people are focussing in on him and his performance…

In 5 seasons - fees for players he has signed and sold (i.e not academy or already at club):

68 players signed for the approx cost of £60m
Player sales in that time £37m
Balance = £-23m.
This doesn’t even include signing on or loan fees.
In that time the wage bill has gone up by 78% to nearly £30m a year.
BCFC's income may be up 56% yet costs have leaped 110% (approx £50m in 5 years - not including wages) suggesting a large chunk of that £50m has gone to agents to broker those nearly 70 deals.

So, anywhere up to £-73m spent on transfers and, wait for it...£108m on wages, in 5 years by Mark Ashton for:

17th, 11th, 8th, 12th and currently 13th place.

So you have to ask: Is our current squad worth £70m or is our current squad good enough for promotion? I think we know the answer. You can cite covid, but i'll cite Ollie Watkins or Matty Cash. Deals are still being done for the right players.

MA and his recruitment is expensive and failing, propped up by players before his time or the academy and he is heaping debt on SL and the club. It's a very slippery slope.

So for goodness sake, keep MA for his meetings with the FA if you must - but once and for all - employ a REAL experienced team in recruitment and the football side - given how important that pillar of our strategy is for us and any chance we have for success in the future.

ashton comes across well in this interview on 00:23 - Mar 1 with 2801 viewsrgp1

ashton comes across well in this interview on 23:03 - Feb 28 by unstableblue

And certainly no Ian Milne

But Holden did not last despite a win ratio that puts all Marcus appointments to shame

But surely getting Nigel Pearson is a coup for Ashton

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/ashton-welcomes-holden-into-new-role/
[Post edited 28 Feb 2021 23:42]

If getting Pearson is a coup why is he only signed on till the end of the season. And BTW I think it is a coup I just don't get why only short term.
ashton comes across well in this interview on 00:34 - Mar 1 with 2748 viewsunstableblue

ashton comes across well in this interview on 00:23 - Mar 1 by rgp1

If getting Pearson is a coup why is he only signed on till the end of the season. And BTW I think it is a coup I just don't get why only short term.

See my other post... Pearson appointment is not being seen by Bristol fans as driven by Ashton but more the owner

Ashton does seeem to be taking the brunt of Bristol City not kicking on

ashton comes across well in this interview on 01:25 - Mar 1 with 2664 viewspointofblue

ashton comes across well in this interview on 00:34 - Mar 1 by unstableblue

See my other post... Pearson appointment is not being seen by Bristol fans as driven by Ashton but more the owner

Ashton does seeem to be taking the brunt of Bristol City not kicking on

Interestingly, reading that thread, Bristol City fans seem to think Ashton would be fine in a CEO role for them, as long as he was working alongside a Director of Football. So if he comes in as a CEO it may not be the worst thing for us.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

For those of you linking the hoped for departure of Lambert with the new..... on 01:33 - Mar 1 with 2649 viewsjeera

For those of you linking the hoped for departure of Lambert with the new..... on 23:11 - Feb 28 by unstableblue

I think you’re right Bryan... if Marcus had done what Norwich or Brentford had done, not made the manager selections himself, ceded control to a dynamic and qualified team

As you say what will be will be... BUT the Bristol City fans view of his track record of football and club operations is absolutely damming

"All Marcus needed to do was bring someone like [insert competent name here] in himself years ago. "

"A team". No!!! ? What, like a board of some sort, a collective of people who understand the game?

So, as every other fan/poster has been saying since ever then.

You're treating this statement like it's fecking news to anyone.

Marcus needed to bring in someone who knows what they're doing?

Oh my god, you're onto something there!

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

ashton comes across well in this interview on 08:41 - Mar 1 with 2194 viewsunstableblue

ashton comes across well in this interview on 01:25 - Mar 1 by pointofblue

Interestingly, reading that thread, Bristol City fans seem to think Ashton would be fine in a CEO role for them, as long as he was working alongside a Director of Football. So if he comes in as a CEO it may not be the worst thing for us.

That’s a pretty positive spin on the pages and pages of negativity, and you’re focussing on a few posts.

But hey let’s see. Just important we go into this with eyes wide open and risks understood.

As I said he’d be a step up from Milne.... but certainly transfer and squad dealings is not an Ashton strength... nor manager selection

For those of you linking the hoped for departure of Lambert with the new..... on 09:01 - Mar 1 with 2120 viewsunstableblue

For those of you linking the hoped for departure of Lambert with the new..... on 01:33 - Mar 1 by jeera

"All Marcus needed to do was bring someone like [insert competent name here] in himself years ago. "

"A team". No!!! ? What, like a board of some sort, a collective of people who understand the game?

So, as every other fan/poster has been saying since ever then.

You're treating this statement like it's fecking news to anyone.

Marcus needed to bring in someone who knows what they're doing?

Oh my god, you're onto something there!

Yes because I've not been one of the most vocal proponents of a clear off-field mgmt structure and strategy on this board since Simon Clegg was appointed.

Well I supposed its better than being told to shut up about Brentford, or objectives, or technical/footballing directors.

SUMMARY OF BRISTOL FANS ON ASHTON on 09:04 - Mar 1 with 2091 viewsitfcjoe

SUMMARY OF BRISTOL FANS ON ASHTON on 00:18 - Mar 1 by unstableblue

Errrrrrrr

It’s really really not good - just read tens and tens of posts on the Bristol City forum

If you were to summarise it... a smooth operator, talks a good approach, but has made a complete hash of Player sales and recruitment, and manager (oh the irony) selection... and has weakened club

Interestingly and worryingly the City fans feel he’s ‘on the naughty step’ and has not been visible in and around the appointment of Nigel Pearson

Hope this is not as concerning as it looks

––––––+––––––––-
Steve (owner) - you said on radio Bristol on Monday that Mark Ashton “get’s a lot of stick from the fans…but it’s unjustified…..it’s easy to do that, everybody’s looking for a scapegoat…..he deserves a lot of praise for what he’s done”.

Well - this is what he’s done and this is why many people are focussing in on him and his performance…

In 5 seasons - fees for players he has signed and sold (i.e not academy or already at club):

68 players signed for the approx cost of £60m
Player sales in that time £37m
Balance = £-23m.
This doesn’t even include signing on or loan fees.
In that time the wage bill has gone up by 78% to nearly £30m a year.
BCFC's income may be up 56% yet costs have leaped 110% (approx £50m in 5 years - not including wages) suggesting a large chunk of that £50m has gone to agents to broker those nearly 70 deals.

So, anywhere up to £-73m spent on transfers and, wait for it...£108m on wages, in 5 years by Mark Ashton for:

17th, 11th, 8th, 12th and currently 13th place.

So you have to ask: Is our current squad worth £70m or is our current squad good enough for promotion? I think we know the answer. You can cite covid, but i'll cite Ollie Watkins or Matty Cash. Deals are still being done for the right players.

MA and his recruitment is expensive and failing, propped up by players before his time or the academy and he is heaping debt on SL and the club. It's a very slippery slope.

So for goodness sake, keep MA for his meetings with the FA if you must - but once and for all - employ a REAL experienced team in recruitment and the football side - given how important that pillar of our strategy is for us and any chance we have for success in the future.

Are those stats right, because they sold Webster for £25m and Kelly for £12m which is £37m......have they really not sold any other player for a fee in the last 5 years......?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

SUMMARY OF BRISTOL FANS ON ASHTON on 09:09 - Mar 1 with 2049 viewsLankHenners

SUMMARY OF BRISTOL FANS ON ASHTON on 09:04 - Mar 1 by itfcjoe

Are those stats right, because they sold Webster for £25m and Kelly for £12m which is £37m......have they really not sold any other player for a fee in the last 5 years......?

Bobby Decordova-Reid, Aiden Flint and Joe Bryan all went in the same window about 3 years ago didn’t they? Must have been for about £20 million or so between them.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Didn't they sell Brownhill for.... on 09:15 - Mar 1 with 2010 viewsBloots

....about £10m last season?

I'm gonna check....

Bobby C-R - £11m
Kodjia - £13m
Aiden Flint - £8m
Joe Bryan - £7m
Tomlin - £3m
Ayling - £1m
Smodics - £1m
Eisa - £1m
Pack - £1m

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Didn't they sell Brownhill for.... on 09:16 - Mar 1 with 1995 viewsitfcjoe

Didn't they sell Brownhill for.... on 09:15 - Mar 1 by Bloots

....about £10m last season?

I'm gonna check....

Bobby C-R - £11m
Kodjia - £13m
Aiden Flint - £8m
Joe Bryan - £7m
Tomlin - £3m
Ayling - £1m
Smodics - £1m
Eisa - £1m
Pack - £1m

Ha, he's obviously pretty good at selling players looking at the fees

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Here we go on 09:50 - Mar 1 with 1875 viewsunstableblue

There is quite a lot of debate in the thread on the validity of the fugues, and it’s only one fans calculation. Also Ashton getting credit for some youth dealings.

But you’ve have to be pretty STUPID to call into question that 95% of Bristol City fans feel his football dealings have been detrimental to the club and they’d happily drive him to Suffolk.

Get on to their message boards and read for yourself people:

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/211190-ipswich-town-takeover-mark-ashton

Didn't they sell Brownhill for.... on 09:54 - Mar 1 with 1844 viewsunstableblue

Didn't they sell Brownhill for.... on 09:16 - Mar 1 by itfcjoe

Ha, he's obviously pretty good at selling players looking at the fees

That was one example; and quite a few fans stated he has achieved good player valuations.

All I’m pointing out is that 13pages of extremely negative feedback on Ashton is something we should take note of.

It’s like someone posting that TWTD shows that Town fans don’t rate Lambert.... but maybe they’ve got it wrong?!

full thread here on 10:04 - Mar 1 with 1796 viewsunstableblue

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/211024-sl-you-wondered-why-people-are-qu

quite a few challenges on the detail, but not the overall message

don't shoot the messenger

full thread here on 10:19 - Mar 1 with 1722 viewsrickw

full thread here on 10:04 - Mar 1 by unstableblue

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/211024-sl-you-wondered-why-people-are-qu

Something interesting on there:
" Webster was a recommendation from Cole Skuse at Ipswich."

If you believe it why is Skuse touting our players out to other clubs?

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

For those of you linking the hoped for departure of Lambert with the new..... on 10:19 - Mar 1 with 1711 viewsIpswichKnight

I’d rather have the CEO of a championship side who are upwardly mobile over a position that does not exist currently. I can’t imagine O’Leary and the US investors will take kindly to him throwing money up the wall for little return and will quickly bin him if he is failing.
full thread here on 10:29 - Mar 1 with 1659 viewsunstableblue

full thread here on 10:19 - Mar 1 by rickw

Something interesting on there:
" Webster was a recommendation from Cole Skuse at Ipswich."

If you believe it why is Skuse touting our players out to other clubs?

Yes saw that.... am sure it was more Skuse was sounded out more than Skuse was actively pushing the player though!!

Shows perhaps that Skuse is still respected down there.

For those of you linking the hoped for departure of Lambert with the new..... on 10:31 - Mar 1 with 1641 viewsunstableblue

For those of you linking the hoped for departure of Lambert with the new..... on 10:19 - Mar 1 by IpswichKnight

I’d rather have the CEO of a championship side who are upwardly mobile over a position that does not exist currently. I can’t imagine O’Leary and the US investors will take kindly to him throwing money up the wall for little return and will quickly bin him if he is failing.

Agree

Look compared to Clegg and Milne for me Ashton clearly does know the industry, and he been in place with ground and training ground improvements and other developments

Also you learn from your mistakes, he also advises the FA

So he would seem a massive step up from what we've had

But with a big caveat that City fans are just not impressed by his dealing with regard to the clubs on-flied and squad status.... so perhaps if manager leads and Ashton organises/contractuals/etc that can work

full thread here on 10:33 - Mar 1 with 1630 viewspointofblue

full thread here on 10:04 - Mar 1 by unstableblue

And what a messenger - I think we’ve got the point now.

I think the issue is we’re not going to get a choice if Ashton comes in - it’ll just happen. I agree it’s important to go in with our eyes wide open and be aware that he arrives with some history. Perhaps he’ll work better with the Americans, maybe our setup will suit him better? Or he could be an utter and complete disaster. At this stage, who really knows?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

full thread here on 10:35 - Mar 1 with 1618 viewsrickw

full thread here on 10:33 - Mar 1 by pointofblue

And what a messenger - I think we’ve got the point now.

I think the issue is we’re not going to get a choice if Ashton comes in - it’ll just happen. I agree it’s important to go in with our eyes wide open and be aware that he arrives with some history. Perhaps he’ll work better with the Americans, maybe our setup will suit him better? Or he could be an utter and complete disaster. At this stage, who really knows?

They seem to be blaming him solely for their transfer dealings, why is this all down to a CEO?
You'd have thought that should be on a Director of Football, Manager and Chief Scout before the CEO

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

For those of you linking the hoped for departure of Lambert with the new..... on 10:35 - Mar 1 with 1608 viewsFreddy

Bristol City fans want rid of Ashton
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024