Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook 01:16 - Mar 1 with 5233 viewspointofblue

His favourite formation is 4-2-3-1 (joy) and he gets snippy with the media.

“There can be no disputing that Paul Cook is a good manager. After all, he won Portsmouth the League Two title by sticking to his principles and winning games in the right manner. However, it should be remembered that he delivered this league title when Pompey were favourites to win the division on goal difference from Plymouth and including an inexplicable collapse by Doncaster who lost all four of their final matches when they required just one.

Cook will have your team playing attractive, possession football and his preferred 4-2-3-1 formation means that the back four are well protected whilst the attacking midfield trio are free to attack and create chances for the lone striker. He is also an excellent motivator as rarely did Pompey lose more than a single consecutive game under his management and any bad performance was usually followed by a good one.

His record in the transfer market was mixed. He has the eye for a quality player as proved in his first season with the Blues as he virtually rebuilt a poor squad and moulded it into a good one with signings like Christian Burgess, Enda Stevens and Gareth Evans proving to be shrewd. However, his second season saw him sign many players who either couldn’t get into the team or had their stays abruptly ended by either having their contracts terminated or being shipped out on loan. Milan Lalkovic must be secretly delighted that Cook has gone.

The negatives of Cook’s management is that whilst Plan A can work extremely well, he doesn’t have a Plan B. His stubborn attitude meant he would rarely stray from his 4-2-3-1 formation and when he did, the results and performances were worse! He also struggles to work out how to break down teams that will “park the bus” and play for a draw on home turf. Thus, you should prepare yourselves for grating post-match interview soundbytes such as “All credit to Shrewsbury, they’re an excellent team and had a gameplan which stopped us scoring. We go again next week.”

Whilst he may be good enough to get a squad of Wigan’s quality back up to the Championship, there is a feeling amongst people that he isn’t tactically smart enough or indeed professional enough to succeed at a higher level.

Cook also seems to struggle under pressure as he felt the heat with 16,000 expectant Pompey fans constantly scrutinising him as he occasionally lashed out at the media whilst having indirect digs at them. The crowds at the DW Stadium may be half the size of what he was used to at Fratton Park, but the expectation will be exactly he same and he may well feel the heat if the Latics fans aren’t happy with performances next season.

In a nutshell, it should speak volumes that the reaction of Pompey fans is anger at the manner he left rather than any kind of sorrow that the event even took place. He’s a good manager but there are arguably even better bosses that Portsmouth can attract to replace him with Kenny Jackett rumoured to take his place.”

https://threeamigoswigan.com/2017/06/01/a-portsmouth-fans-view-of-paul-cook/

His away record in the Championship was horrific too though Wigan finished safe in mid table, point wise.

He probably is the best manager available but then I thought that of Hurst too. I want to say he can’t be worse than Lambert and certainly his recent record decrees he won’t be (if he does come) but some concerning reading there.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 06:26 - Mar 1 with 4169 viewsPositivelyPortman

Hmmmmm. Sounds like another ‘Paul’.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 06:59 - Mar 1 with 3946 viewsgazzer1999

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 06:26 - Mar 1 by PositivelyPortman

And should not be allowed anywhere near ITFC. Looks like we will end up with another Lambert, why do we keep repeating the same mistakes?.Another appointment that will end in tears.....AGAIN.
EVANS GET IT RIGHT THIS TIME, you have staff already at the club that should get the job.
Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 07:02 - Mar 1 with 3901 viewsmikeybloo88

I've said all along I'd prefer Danny Cowley...oh well, Cook has one big plus, he isn't Lambert so gets my support until there is consistent evidence to suggest he shouldn't
Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 07:09 - Mar 1 with 3812 viewsgazzer1999

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 07:02 - Mar 1 by mikeybloo88

I've said all along I'd prefer Danny Cowley...oh well, Cook has one big plus, he isn't Lambert so gets my support until there is consistent evidence to suggest he shouldn't

Penny pinching again, only got to change the last name on the office door and one initial on the tracksuit.
Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 07:45 - Mar 1 with 3419 viewsSimonds92

Definitely a good insight but would be good to get Wigan fans view. He did very well with them imo and he may have changed/ adapted during that time. The Portsmouth fans who wanted Kenny Jacket soon turned and didnt like his style of football either.
Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:06 - Mar 1 with 3215 viewstheipswichfile

Your review matches the one I got from a Pompey mate as well.

I'm not convinced he's the right man, think we could end up with a combination between the final days of Mick and the majority of Lambert's time. People seem to have just latched onto him because he's a name.

His record is reasonable, I won't argue with that but I'm not convinced he's the answer to all our problems. That being said, I'm not convinced anyone is. I'd rather us go left-field and appoint someone young and hungry but there's no guarantee whatever you do.

It's a difficult one, Cook will have my support if he comes in but I won't be surprised if it doesn't work out.
Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:12 - Mar 1 with 3135 viewsGlasgowBlue

So the pro is that he brings back Kayden Jackson. The con is that he plays him wide right.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:12 - Mar 1 with 3138 viewsWD19

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 07:09 - Mar 1 by gazzer1999

Penny pinching again, only got to change the last name on the office door and one initial on the tracksuit.

A penny pinching jibe from the bloke who just told Evans to hire nobody and use staff already at the club!!!
Login to get fewer ads

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:12 - Mar 1 with 3129 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 06:26 - Mar 1 by PositivelyPortman

Paul McCarthy at that!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:15 - Mar 1 with 3078 viewsHerbivore

Pompey fans have a few negative things to say about a manager who left them somewhat controversially? I, for one, am shocked. He's done well basically everywhere he's been, he is the opposite of Lambert in that respect and represents a significant upgrade. Would he be my first choice? Not sure, but he's clearly a very strong candidate and unlike someone like Hurst he's managed successfully in the league above and at clubs much closer to us in terms of stature than the likes of Shrewsbury and Grimsby.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:23 - Mar 1 with 2978 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:06 - Mar 1 by theipswichfile

Your review matches the one I got from a Pompey mate as well.

I'm not convinced he's the right man, think we could end up with a combination between the final days of Mick and the majority of Lambert's time. People seem to have just latched onto him because he's a name.

His record is reasonable, I won't argue with that but I'm not convinced he's the answer to all our problems. That being said, I'm not convinced anyone is. I'd rather us go left-field and appoint someone young and hungry but there's no guarantee whatever you do.

It's a difficult one, Cook will have my support if he comes in but I won't be surprised if it doesn't work out.

“Reasonable” is a tad harsh for someone who has had 3 promotions in the last 7 seasons?
Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:28 - Mar 1 with 2918 viewsBseaBlue

I would take winning the league on goal difference as opposed to scrapping for the play offs with 17 games left!!
Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:30 - Mar 1 with 2879 viewspointofblue

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:15 - Mar 1 by Herbivore

Pompey fans have a few negative things to say about a manager who left them somewhat controversially? I, for one, am shocked. He's done well basically everywhere he's been, he is the opposite of Lambert in that respect and represents a significant upgrade. Would he be my first choice? Not sure, but he's clearly a very strong candidate and unlike someone like Hurst he's managed successfully in the league above and at clubs much closer to us in terms of stature than the likes of Shrewsbury and Grimsby.

I recall Portsmouth fans having doubts about him whilst he was there - it was said to be one of the reasons why he decided to jump ship to Wigan.

And yet I think he has to be our first choice, doesn’t he? I don’t think now is the time to be overly experimental with our manager choice and he has a far better recent track record than our other recent appointments, perhaps excluding Mick.

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:38 - Mar 1 with 2805 viewstheipswichfile

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:23 - Mar 1 by Matt_Netherlands

“Reasonable” is a tad harsh for someone who has had 3 promotions in the last 7 seasons?

Not sure it is particularly harsh, he has done reasonably well with teams that are expected to do reasonably well. Not taking anything away from him, but I'm not going to trumpet those as the most amazing successes in football either. He's done reasonably well, and if he does that here then we will go up.

I don't know who else you go for, some of the suggestions have been beyond crazy, so it probably will be him. I'm just not convinced he is the messiah that some think he is, but we'll probably see for ourselves and I hope I'm wrong!
Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:44 - Mar 1 with 2751 viewsHerbivore

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:38 - Mar 1 by theipswichfile

Not sure it is particularly harsh, he has done reasonably well with teams that are expected to do reasonably well. Not taking anything away from him, but I'm not going to trumpet those as the most amazing successes in football either. He's done reasonably well, and if he does that here then we will go up.

I don't know who else you go for, some of the suggestions have been beyond crazy, so it probably will be him. I'm just not convinced he is the messiah that some think he is, but we'll probably see for ourselves and I hope I'm wrong!

Who thinks he's the messiah? Most are happy as he's clearly a very strong candidate for a League 1 side given his record and given he's turned down offers from the level above. I don't see any realistic stronger candidate out there to be honest. That doesn't mean he's the messiah but it does mean he's a choice we should be pretty positive about.

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:46 - Mar 1 with 2710 viewsWallingford_Boy

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:44 - Mar 1 by Herbivore

Who thinks he's the messiah? Most are happy as he's clearly a very strong candidate for a League 1 side given his record and given he's turned down offers from the level above. I don't see any realistic stronger candidate out there to be honest. That doesn't mean he's the messiah but it does mean he's a choice we should be pretty positive about.

You don’t think it’s realistic to get Cowley?!

Best out there by a country mile.

RIP Sir Bobby

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:47 - Mar 1 with 2712 viewsMrTown

He’s a quality manager, won titles in the lower leagues at his clubs.

Most Wigan fans wouldn’t have a bad word against him.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:49 - Mar 1 with 2686 viewspointofblue

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:47 - Mar 1 by MrTown

Except for his away record in the Championship, agree. Quite frankly I think we’ll take promotion, 18th, 13th at this point.

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:51 - Mar 1 with 2655 viewsHerbivore

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:46 - Mar 1 by Wallingford_Boy

You don’t think it’s realistic to get Cowley?!

Best out there by a country mile.

By a country mile? Not a chance. Danny Cowley is less proven than Cook, he's achieved success at a number of clubs. Cowley did great things at Lincoln and did alright at Huddersfield but to say he's a better candidate than Cook by a country mile is fantasy stuff to be honest.

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:51 - Mar 1 with 2640 viewsHerbivore

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:47 - Mar 1 by MrTown

Shame we don't have a vacancy, what with there being no way that Lambert is going any time soon........

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:54 - Mar 1 with 2612 viewstheipswichfile

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:44 - Mar 1 by Herbivore

The people that have been calling for him, specifically him, for months. I get he is probably the strongest candidate in terms of name and what he has achieved, but I myself would probably be more inclined to go for the Cowleys.

I don't think you will see a noticeable difference in the way the team is set up with Cook compared to Lambert, which has been a major complaint for months. You might not see that with the Cowleys either so where does that leave us?

Well, basically that whoever comes in has got a harder job to do than has been made out. I won't complain if Paul Cook comes, I just don't think he's the answer and if it was my money, he wouldn't be the one I'd spend it on.
Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:58 - Mar 1 with 2566 viewsDubtractor

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:15 - Mar 1 by Herbivore

Also, worth noting that this was obviously written at the point he left them to join Wigan.

Since then he got Wigan promoted as champions and comfortably kept them up twice (before the points deduction).

Just to add, when he won this league with WIgan, they got 98 points and scored 89 goals. HMS Piss The League indeed!
[Post edited 1 Mar 2021 9:07]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:59 - Mar 1 with 2550 viewsHerbivore

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:54 - Mar 1 by theipswichfile

The people that have been calling for him, specifically him, for months. I get he is probably the strongest candidate in terms of name and what he has achieved, but I myself would probably be more inclined to go for the Cowleys.

I don't think you will see a noticeable difference in the way the team is set up with Cook compared to Lambert, which has been a major complaint for months. You might not see that with the Cowleys either so where does that leave us?

Well, basically that whoever comes in has got a harder job to do than has been made out. I won't complain if Paul Cook comes, I just don't think he's the answer and if it was my money, he wouldn't be the one I'd spend it on.

So you acknowledge he is probably the strongest candidate and yet say that anyone who has been calling for him to be manager - perfectly reasonable when he's the strongest candidate - thinks he's the messiah? Sorry mate, I'm not having that. That's just you being silly. Nobody has claimed he's going to take us to the Prem within 3 years or that he's the next Guardiola. He's just clearly a very strong candidate and I can perfectly understand why he's many people's preferred choice.

I'm pretty sure we'll see quite a difference in how Cook sets us up, given that he appears to actually set his teams up well and seems to both coach and motviate them. Lambert couldn't even do the basics.

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 09:05 - Mar 1 with 2502 viewstheipswichfile

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 08:59 - Mar 1 by Herbivore

So you acknowledge he is probably the strongest candidate and yet say that anyone who has been calling for him to be manager - perfectly reasonable when he's the strongest candidate - thinks he's the messiah? Sorry mate, I'm not having that. That's just you being silly. Nobody has claimed he's going to take us to the Prem within 3 years or that he's the next Guardiola. He's just clearly a very strong candidate and I can perfectly understand why he's many people's preferred choice.

I'm pretty sure we'll see quite a difference in how Cook sets us up, given that he appears to actually set his teams up well and seems to both coach and motviate them. Lambert couldn't even do the basics.

I'm not criticising anyone who has him as their preferred choice, what I am criticising is the notion that he is the perfect man for the job. His name has been doing the rounds for months, as if he is the magic man that will solve all our problems. Like I said, not my first choice but I have no problem with him coming in. Maybe in your haste to jump down others' throats you could actually take the time to read what has been said.

You're not worth talking to, it seems like your whole initiative is to create aggression where there is none - I'm just making a point that SOME not ALL have made out he is God's gift to management. He has the best record of the available candidates, and will probably be hired, but that does not make him my first choice.

Can't wait to see you jump down someone else's throat on the next thread where you feel like being a dick. I'm out.
Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 09:34 - Mar 1 with 2342 viewsHerbivore

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook on 09:05 - Mar 1 by theipswichfile

I'm not criticising anyone who has him as their preferred choice, what I am criticising is the notion that he is the perfect man for the job. His name has been doing the rounds for months, as if he is the magic man that will solve all our problems. Like I said, not my first choice but I have no problem with him coming in. Maybe in your haste to jump down others' throats you could actually take the time to read what has been said.

You're not worth talking to, it seems like your whole initiative is to create aggression where there is none - I'm just making a point that SOME not ALL have made out he is God's gift to management. He has the best record of the available candidates, and will probably be hired, but that does not make him my first choice.

Can't wait to see you jump down someone else's throat on the next thread where you feel like being a dick. I'm out.

Dry your knickers, flower. Calling someone a dick for reasonably challenging your assertion that people are calling Paul Cook the messiah isn't a great look.

I see you've moved from messiah to "God's gift", which again is something I've not seen anyone claim. You yourself acknowledge that he's a very strong candidate on paper, possibly the strongest, yet feel the need to make hyperbolic claims about those who think he's the best candidate. It's very weird and actually rather divisive. And for you to then get pissy with me for pointing it out and accusing me of creating aggression whilst calling me a dick is a bit rich to be fair.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024