Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marcus Evans and Ipswich Town – a stale and unhappy union 08:38 - Mar 2 with 2112 viewsitfcjoe

Long read on The Athletic

https://theathletic.co.uk/2414223/2021/03/02/marcus-evans-and-ipswich-town-a-sta

If you get the app you have a couple of free articles a month, in anyone wants a one month pass just drop me a DM as have some

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Marcus Evans and Ipswich Town — a stale and unhappy union on 08:39 - Mar 2 with 2054 viewsKieran_Knows

Was reading that just now, a good piece.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Marcus Evans and Ipswich Town — a stale and unhappy union on 08:47 - Mar 2 with 1975 viewsdavblue

interesting that Jamie Carragher was asked the question about becoming manager, not heard that one before.

likewise DM me if you want a month's pass have some spare.
Marcus Evans and Ipswich Town — a stale and unhappy union on 08:48 - Mar 2 with 1952 viewsHerbivore

Marcus Evans and Ipswich Town — a stale and unhappy union on 08:47 - Mar 2 by davblue

interesting that Jamie Carragher was asked the question about becoming manager, not heard that one before.

Jamie Carragher? Christ on a bike.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Marcus Evans and Ipswich Town — a stale and unhappy union on 08:49 - Mar 2 with 1954 viewsKieran_Knows

Marcus Evans and Ipswich Town — a stale and unhappy union on 08:48 - Mar 2 by Herbivore

Jamie Carragher? Christ on a bike.

Gerrard - was already going Rangers.
Carragher - was keeping his head down after spit gate.
Sherwood - had a meeting with Evans.

All recommended, in 2018, by Jewell again!
[Post edited 2 Mar 2021 8:50]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Marcus Evans and Ipswich Town — a stale and unhappy union on 08:50 - Mar 2 with 1931 viewsChurchman

Marcus Evans and Ipswich Town — a stale and unhappy union on 08:47 - Mar 2 by davblue

Jeez, that’s one press conference I’d never listen too. No thanks, I’d rathe Mike Bassett was appointed
Marcus Evans and Ipswich Town — a stale and unhappy union on 09:16 - Mar 2 with 1709 viewsGlasgowBlue

I’ll read that later.

IMO Evans biggest mistake was not either sacking or backing Keane at the end of 2009/10.

Evans put in decent money to improve the squad under Jim the year before and contributed that funding for Keane. Then we went on that winless run that saw us bottom at Christmas and despite having a decent second half of the season that saw us finish well away from the relegation places, that season seemed to have sucked any enthusiasm Evans may have had for funding any future promotion challenge.

He wouldn’t fund any of Keane’s summer targets, and although we got off to a great start it only took a few key injuries and another Keane meltdown to see us fighting against relegation again.

Jewell got things going again but was given no money to work with. The money from the sale of Wickham was spent in servicing the debt.

And that’s how it’s been since then. An owner with zero ambition, but to his credit he’s made up the financial losses. So for the best part of ten years we’ve had an owner keeping us afloat but unwilling to put in the investment we need to progress.

Mick, of course, was his perfect manager. A bloke who had a good eye for a bargain and who could keep us reasonably competitive in the championship. No fears about relegation and no demands for massive funds for a promotion campaign.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2021 9:23]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Marcus Evans and Ipswich Town — a stale and unhappy union on 09:21 - Mar 2 with 1635 viewshype313

Marcus Evans and Ipswich Town — a stale and unhappy union on 09:16 - Mar 2 by GlasgowBlue

I’ll read that later.

IMO Evans biggest mistake was not either sacking or backing Keane at the end of 2009/10.

Evans put in decent money to improve the squad under Jim the year before and contributed that funding for Keane. Then we went on that winless run that saw us bottom at Christmas and despite having a decent second half of the season that saw us finish well away from the relegation places, that season seemed to have sucked any enthusiasm Evans may have had for funding any future promotion challenge.

He wouldn’t fund any of Keane’s summer targets, and although we got off to a great start it only took a few key injuries and another Keane meltdown to see us fighting against relegation again.

Jewell got things going again but was given no money to work with. The money from the sale of Wickham was spent in servicing the debt.

And that’s how it’s been since then. An owner with zero ambition, but to his credit he’s made up the financial losses. So for the best part of ten years we’ve had an owner keeping us afloat but unwilling to put in the investment we need to progress.

Mick, of course, was his perfect manager. A bloke who had a good eye for a bargain and who could keep us reasonably competitive in the championship. No fears about relegation and no demands for massive funds for a promotion campaign.

When you read that article it becomes clear that someone like Evans should never had really got involved in football, he never had the affinity for it, either us or football as a whole, and whilst he's an intelligent guy, I fail to see how he never looked in detail at how successful clubs were being run.

His biggest failing was trying to run the club on a shoestring, bereft of senior management, not having the ability to delegate.

Well, that's my take on it, of course you can look at sliding doors moments such as investment at particular times, but in 14 years you can't pin his total failings down to not spending at certain points over the years.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Marcus Evans and Ipswich Town — a stale and unhappy union on 09:30 - Mar 2 with 1575 viewsPhilTWTD

Marcus Evans and Ipswich Town — a stale and unhappy union on 09:16 - Mar 2 by GlasgowBlue

I’ll read that later.

Worth pointing out that no money ever went towards servicing the debt. Reducing the annual loss perhaps but there has never been any servicing of the debt.
Login to get fewer ads

Marcus Evans and Ipswich Town — a stale and unhappy union on 09:34 - Mar 2 with 1506 viewstractorboy1978

Marcus Evans and Ipswich Town — a stale and unhappy union on 09:21 - Mar 2 by hype313

When you read that article it becomes clear that someone like Evans should never had really got involved in football, he never had the affinity for it, either us or football as a whole, and whilst he's an intelligent guy, I fail to see how he never looked in detail at how successful clubs were being run.

His biggest failing was trying to run the club on a shoestring, bereft of senior management, not having the ability to delegate.

Well, that's my take on it, of course you can look at sliding doors moments such as investment at particular times, but in 14 years you can't pin his total failings down to not spending at certain points over the years.

The absolute key failing is not having the right structure in place from day 1 and not any point accepting he needed to correct that. He was used to operating in an industry where he is very experienced and likely very well connected himself. In football he was totally wet behind the ears and a complete nobody. And he employed people in that senior, intermediary role that were equal nobodies in Clegg, Milne and O'Neill - with them arguably actually decreasing in competence and the structure becoming thinner with every appointment.

You can see why he wanted to appoint high profile/experienced managers - they compensated for the total lack of football nous and kudos in the industry higher up the chain. And Hurst really was a car crash waiting to happen with the lack of structure around him.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2021 9:35]
Marcus Evans and Ipswich Town — a stale and unhappy union on 09:38 - Mar 2 with 1448 viewsWeWereZombies

Marcus Evans and Ipswich Town — a stale and unhappy union on 09:21 - Mar 2 by hype313

I think this goes to demonstrate how astute Sheepshanks and Burley were at times. Bringing in Marcus Stewart stands out but the Hermann Hreiðarsson transfer made a big difference to that first season back in the Premiership too. Then there was Sereni...OK, let's just admit that they made mistakes too. But they did have successes and you cannot really say that about the Marcus Evans stewardship.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Marcus Evans and Ipswich Town — a stale and unhappy union on 09:52 - Mar 2 with 1316 viewsSitfcB

A good article. Couple of interesting bits from Jewell and Hurst.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Marcus Evans and Ipswich Town — a stale and unhappy union on 10:11 - Mar 2 with 1192 viewsHipsterectomy

Let's get Paul Jewell back as coach with BFJ as DoF - go all in on the Liverpool link.

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Marcus Evans and Ipswich Town — a stale and unhappy union on 10:30 - Mar 2 with 1066 viewsSwansea_Blue

Marcus Evans and Ipswich Town — a stale and unhappy union on 08:49 - Mar 2 by Kieran_Knows

Gerrard - was already going Rangers.
Carragher - was keeping his head down after spit gate.
Sherwood - had a meeting with Evans.

All recommended, in 2018, by Jewell again!
[Post edited 2 Mar 2021 8:50]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024