Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
London to trial UBI 15:44 - Mar 2 with 1280 viewsSwansea_Blue

For those that have been following developments on this, do you think this is the start of something we could see nationally or just a token gesture by the mayor that will disappear as soon as he does?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

London to trial UBI on 15:53 - Mar 2 with 1195 viewsStokieBlue

That's very interesting.

Have you seen any links with more information? For instance are the 10000 going to be existing benefits claimants (which makes sense to me) or just a random 10000 given UBI would be for everyone?

The time of UBI is approaching, it will be a few more years, perhaps even another decade but it will happen assuming it can be funded to a level which is actually enough to live off.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

London to trial UBI on 15:56 - Mar 2 with 1169 viewsJ2BLUE

Where does the funding come from? Seems to be a few local councils considering trials of this.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

London to trial UBI on 15:57 - Mar 2 with 1168 viewsfooters

My only worry with a UBI rollout like this is that the people in the most need of it likely won't be able to access it as they don't have a bank account, ID and so on. It may vey well be a tiny percentage of the population but it's those people we should consider first before committing so much to anyone who doesn't need it.

But I agree with Stokie that it will eventually happen in some form. Doubt the Tories would ever embrace the idea though, so we may have to wait for a Labour govt to see a proper UK-wide trial.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

London to trial UBI on 15:58 - Mar 2 with 1145 viewsJ2BLUE

London to trial UBI on 15:57 - Mar 2 by footers

My only worry with a UBI rollout like this is that the people in the most need of it likely won't be able to access it as they don't have a bank account, ID and so on. It may vey well be a tiny percentage of the population but it's those people we should consider first before committing so much to anyone who doesn't need it.

But I agree with Stokie that it will eventually happen in some form. Doubt the Tories would ever embrace the idea though, so we may have to wait for a Labour govt to see a proper UK-wide trial.

People are getting excited that an independent think tank suggested giving every adult £150 to spend in the retail sector. They forget the party in power.

Truly impaired.

London to trial UBI on 16:00 - Mar 2 with 1131 viewsfooters

London to trial UBI on 15:58 - Mar 2 by J2BLUE

People are getting excited that an independent think tank suggested giving every adult £150 to spend in the retail sector. They forget the party in power.

What would you spend £150 on, J2? I'd buy a feck tonne of Frazzles and cheap gin.

London to trial UBI on 16:01 - Mar 2 with 1118 viewsSwansea_Blue

London to trial UBI on 15:53 - Mar 2 by StokieBlue

That's very interesting.

Have you seen any links with more information? For instance are the 10000 going to be existing benefits claimants (which makes sense to me) or just a random 10000 given UBI would be for everyone?

The time of UBI is approaching, it will be a few more years, perhaps even another decade but it will happen assuming it can be funded to a level which is actually enough to live off.

SB

I've not seen anything else. It's looks like it's been blocked before a couple of times before going through today - https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/assembly/sin-berry/basic-income-trial-f

These people seem to be the ones bringing the motion and presenting present evidence on how it might work - https://www.ubilabnetwork.org/.

If you look at their list of councils who have already backed their motion calling for a trial, it's surprisingly long (I'd not heard about this until today) - https://www.ubilabnetwork.org/council-motions. Norwich are there.

London to trial UBI on 16:02 - Mar 2 with 1110 viewsStokieBlue

London to trial UBI on 16:00 - Mar 2 by footers

What would you spend £150 on, J2? I'd buy a feck tonne of Frazzles and cheap gin.

Ostrich eggs surely?

You could get 7 for that and still have money for some cheap gin.

SB

London to trial UBI on 16:04 - Mar 2 with 1104 viewsfooters

London to trial UBI on 16:02 - Mar 2 by StokieBlue

Ostrich eggs surely?

You could get 7 for that and still have money for some cheap gin.

SB

Not an egg man, sadly. Little feckers, so a big one would terrify me.

Login to get fewer ads

London to trial UBI on 16:12 - Mar 2 with 1062 viewsStokieBlue

London to trial UBI on 16:04 - Mar 2 by footers

Not an egg man, sadly. Little feckers, so a big one would terrify me.

I was more thinking what J2 could spend his money on.

SB

London to trial UBI on 16:13 - Mar 2 with 1047 viewsSwansea_Blue

London to trial UBI on 15:56 - Mar 2 by J2BLUE

Where does the funding come from? Seems to be a few local councils considering trials of this.

Yeah, it's the councils. But you're right that central government won't like. I'm not sure what they could do about it though (apart from making life difficult by restricting any central funding). ThNo 10 prioritise their own councils anyway, so non-troy councils have probably got little to lose.

London to trial UBI on 16:43 - Mar 2 with 974 viewsJ2BLUE

London to trial UBI on 16:00 - Mar 2 by footers

I refuse to even dream about such wealth.

Truly impaired.

London to trial UBI on 16:49 - Mar 2 with 954 viewsDarth_Koont

I haven’t been following developments on this. But if that’s Shaun Bailey, the Conservative mayor candidate voting for it then you’d think it’s becoming a fairly neutral and cross-party issue.

(Mutters something about Labour being outflanked again. And probably going to vote against it because their focus group just doesn’t get it.)

But all in all, it’s a positive step and debate wherever it’s coming from.

Pronouns: He/Him

London to trial UBI on 16:50 - Mar 2 with 951 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Surely "exploring the possibility of a pilot" is a little different to "going to trial".

I would be amazed if it happened under any Conservative Government. However, if it was to, this would probably be about the most likely. It has been very left wing in terms of spending for a Conservative Government, albeit right wing in how those contracts are outsourced profligately.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

London to trial UBI on 21:26 - Mar 2 with 804 viewsSwansea_Blue

London to trial UBI on 16:49 - Mar 2 by Darth_Koont

I haven’t been following developments on this. But if that’s Shaun Bailey, the Conservative mayor candidate voting for it then you’d think it’s becoming a fairly neutral and cross-party issue.

(Mutters something about Labour being outflanked again. And probably going to vote against it because their focus group just doesn’t get it.)

But all in all, it’s a positive step and debate wherever it’s coming from.

I'm assuming he's against it, given the red cross. That and the fact he's today been trotting out the right wing stereotype that poor people are all druggies. Some may, but it's a vile viewpoint to apply to all in order to try and scupper the scheme.

London to trial UBI on 21:28 - Mar 2 with 786 viewsJ2BLUE

London to trial UBI on 21:26 - Mar 2 by Swansea_Blue

I'm assuming he's against it, given the red cross. That and the fact he's today been trotting out the right wing stereotype that poor people are all druggies. Some may, but it's a vile viewpoint to apply to all in order to try and scupper the scheme.

Like most of his party, he's a complete ****

Truly impaired.

London to trial UBI on 21:30 - Mar 2 with 768 viewstractordownsouth

London to trial UBI on 21:28 - Mar 2 by J2BLUE

I know London is a bit of a lost cause for the Tories post-Brexit, but they could at least get within 10 points of Khan had they decided to put up a serious candidate. Bailey's an awful man though, I look forward to his 15-20 point defeat in May.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

London to trial UBI on 21:32 - Mar 2 with 752 viewsDarth_Koont

London to trial UBI on 21:26 - Mar 2 by Swansea_Blue

Good point. I just saw the raised hand.

Yes, didn’t strike me as Bailey’s cup of tea. Awful regressive figure.

Pronouns: He/Him

London to trial UBI on 21:33 - Mar 2 with 723 viewsSwansea_Blue

London to trial UBI on 21:28 - Mar 2 by J2BLUE

I don't normally worry about London news so I don't know a lot about him, but he doesn't come across well in this. Not at all.

London to trial UBI on 21:50 - Mar 2 with 623 viewsThe_Last_Baron

London to trial UBI on 15:57 - Mar 2 by footers

You'll be waiting a long time.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

London to trial UBI on 21:53 - Mar 2 with 594 viewsfooters

London to trial UBI on 21:50 - Mar 2 by The_Last_Baron

Aren't you upset about boris selling you out to the EU now? Or are you happier spaffing over replica football shirts.

London to trial UBI on 21:55 - Mar 2 with 580 viewsNthsuffolkblue

London to trial UBI on 21:50 - Mar 2 by The_Last_Baron

Sadly, yes.

Too many are very happy with the corruption, incompetence and inequality of the party of power.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024