Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Contactless payments limit raised to £100 10:31 - Mar 3 with 2351 viewsGlasgowBlue

Makes sense in a more hygiene aware age.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 10:38 - Mar 3 with 1956 viewsDrissaDiallo

It makes sense with covid but it's another step closer to a cash-less society which is not a good thing.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 10:38]
Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 10:40 - Mar 3 with 1934 viewsStokieBlue

You've always been able to spend a lot more contactless from your phone though (Google Pay for instance will seemingly do anything - at least a few hundred quid).

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 10:41 - Mar 3 with 1928 viewsStokieBlue

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 10:38 - Mar 3 by DrissaDiallo

It makes sense with covid but it's another step closer to a cash-less society which is not a good thing.

What are your specific objections to a cash-less society?

SB

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 10:41 - Mar 3 with 1927 viewsMattinLondon

We won’t see a totally cashless society for some time - for various reasons some people simply prefer using cash.

But I do think raising the limit on contactless is a very good thing.
Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 10:46 - Mar 3 with 1901 viewshomer_123

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 10:41 - Mar 3 by StokieBlue

SB

Gets difficult to cover you tracks doesn't it! ;)

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 10:46 - Mar 3 with 1900 viewsWD19

Fraudtastic.
Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 11:01 - Mar 3 with 1852 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

In what way is raising this limit a step closer to a cashless society? I don't see the connection.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 11:07 - Mar 3 with 1824 viewsDrissaDiallo

SB

Fruit machines! Wont be the same hitting a jackpot and getting a receipt saying you've got £10 credit in your paypal account.

I think cash just gives you a bit more independence. Cards can get rejected, stop working, bank accounts can get temporary suspensions. Not to sound too 'tin foil hat' but if the bank wants to stop you spending your money, they could. With cash, nobody can stop you spending it, unless shops stop accepting cash of course.

It would affect the homeless. I think charities would be hit as well. Young kids still use cash a lot as well until they're old enough to get a bank account with a card.

It's also many small things that would be affected like car boot sales, village fetes etc.
Login to get fewer ads

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 11:09 - Mar 3 with 1806 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 11:07 - Mar 3 by DrissaDiallo

Fruit machines! Wont be the same hitting a jackpot and getting a receipt saying you've got £10 credit in your paypal account.

I think cash just gives you a bit more independence. Cards can get rejected, stop working, bank accounts can get temporary suspensions. Not to sound too 'tin foil hat' but if the bank wants to stop you spending your money, they could. With cash, nobody can stop you spending it, unless shops stop accepting cash of course.

It would affect the homeless. I think charities would be hit as well. Young kids still use cash a lot as well until they're old enough to get a bank account with a card.

It's also many small things that would be affected like car boot sales, village fetes etc.

And all these reasons are why we won't have a cashless society...

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 11:10 - Mar 3 with 1800 viewshomer_123

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 11:07 - Mar 3 by DrissaDiallo

Actually the Charity situation could benefit - this whole 'roundup' thing that businesses do now is a good thing.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 11:11 - Mar 3 with 1795 viewsKeno

are you saying this cos of the Book of Revelations and the coming of the end of days?

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 11:12 - Mar 3 with 1791 viewsitfcjoe

SB

The ability to have every single penny spent tracked

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 11:12 - Mar 3 with 1788 viewsDrissaDiallo

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 11:09 - Mar 3 by The_Flashing_Smile

And all these reasons are why we won't have a cashless society...

I hope you're right.
Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 11:14 - Mar 3 with 1779 viewsfooters

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 11:12 - Mar 3 by itfcjoe

Spoken like a true tradesman...

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 11:18 - Mar 3 with 1757 viewsStokieBlue

What's wrong with having all expenditure tracked? It would certainly help prevent tax evasion.

I can understand why people have an issue with it around privacy but there are benefits as well such as not requiring the global printing or minting of currency for instance.

It's not going to happen anyway of course.

SB

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 11:28 - Mar 3 with 1715 viewsTractorWood

Would cut down hugely on tax evasion.

I think it's inevitable. I honestly can't remember the last time I used cash.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 11:29]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 11:30 - Mar 3 with 1704 viewsitfcjoe

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 11:18 - Mar 3 by StokieBlue

What's wrong with having all expenditure tracked? It would certainly help prevent tax evasion.

I can understand why people have an issue with it around privacy but there are benefits as well such as not requiring the global printing or minting of currency for instance.

It's not going to happen anyway of course.

SB

I wonder how big a problem tax evasion with regards to cash, sure it pales into insignificance compared to the tax avoidance which is legal....but that's another debate.

(EDIT - I'd rather tax be evaded by cash which generally goes back into local community than through avoidance scheme that sees it go offshore)

Just as an example for me, most of my money is in joint account with Mrs itfcjoe - I'd rather withdraw £60 cash to have a few beers than for it to say I spent £8.20 here, £12 at this pub, £28 on food, etc.

At some point people will push back on how little privacy there is and how overarching the state is - every little point could be argued as a good thing in isolation and you end up in a bad place.

Have you read The Circle by Dave Eggers? Very interesting
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 11:31]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 11:30 - Mar 3 with 1703 viewsfooters

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 11:28 - Mar 3 by TractorWood

Would cut down hugely on tax evasion.

I think it's inevitable. I honestly can't remember the last time I used cash.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 11:29]

Unfortunately, most corporate tax evasion is actively encouraged by this and previous governments. It's awful and we're now even more toothless to stop it outside of the EU.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 11:33 - Mar 3 with 1657 viewsTractorWood

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 11:30 - Mar 3 by footers

Unfortunately, most corporate tax evasion is actively encouraged by this and previous governments. It's awful and we're now even more toothless to stop it outside of the EU.

You are confusing evasion and avoiding tax.

The latter is legal but does need lots of loopholes closing like transfer pricing to low tax states. The former is patently illegal.

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 11:34 - Mar 3 with 1651 viewsGuthrum

SB

Everything's fine until the system goes down.

For example, my bank had a major software issue a couple of years ago, leaving me unable to use my card. Fortunately, I had a few quid in cash to buy the groceries I needed.

Not just technical failure, either. Wannacry and SolarWinds have shown the vulnerability of systems to attack - combined with the unwillingness of companies to invest sufficiently in protection and alert systems ("Why should we spend that much money on something which may never happen?").

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 11:37 - Mar 3 with 1634 viewsStokieBlue

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 11:33 - Mar 3 by TractorWood

You are confusing evasion and avoiding tax.

The latter is legal but does need lots of loopholes closing like transfer pricing to low tax states. The former is patently illegal.

Hopefully progress will be made on this but I am not hopeful given we are now outside the EU and the Tories could easily push this as a reason to be domiciled in the UK.

SB
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 11:38]

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 11:37 - Mar 3 with 1632 viewsMattinLondon

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 11:14 - Mar 3 by footers

Spoken like a true tradesman...

To be fair, the tradesmen I’ve used recently all have accepted bank transfers or had a card machine. And the local plumber for last week only wanted electronic payment.
Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 11:42 - Mar 3 with 1602 viewsTractorWood

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 11:34 - Mar 3 by Guthrum

Everything's fine until the system goes down.

For example, my bank had a major software issue a couple of years ago, leaving me unable to use my card. Fortunately, I had a few quid in cash to buy the groceries I needed.

Not just technical failure, either. Wannacry and SolarWinds have shown the vulnerability of systems to attack - combined with the unwillingness of companies to invest sufficiently in protection and alert systems ("Why should we spend that much money on something which may never happen?").

Is the answer not have a back up bank or credit card if this is a specific sensitivity?

Having one card is definitely sub optimal.

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 11:43 - Mar 3 with 1593 viewsWD19

The ability for China to prevent every single penny being spent by crashing our systems......
Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 11:50 - Mar 3 with 1560 viewsGuthrum

Contactless payments limit raised to £100 on 11:42 - Mar 3 by TractorWood

Is the answer not have a back up bank or credit card if this is a specific sensitivity?

Having one card is definitely sub optimal.

If you have an interesting credit history, it may not be all that easy. With the after-effects of losing my business and getting into financial trouble following 2009, I have found it impossible to get a credit card, for example. Just a quite basic bank account.

Plus, in a concerted attack, a number of providers might be affected simultaneously.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024