Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development 12:22 - Mar 3 with 4084 viewsBlueForYou

Been reading about the takeover this morning & found this site which details the plans for the Pawtucket site by Fortuitous Partners. Looks very positive & impressive. Is this the future & are we in at the right time with the right people?

http://thetidewaterlanding.com/
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 12:32]
Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 12:28 - Mar 3 with 3247 viewssaffers12

went to Pawtucket on my Eastern USA road trip for day

Lovely beautiful place
Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 12:29 - Mar 3 with 3233 viewstrncbluearmy

Ipswich council would crawl over hot coals for that.
It maybe one of the attractions, there is loads of development potential around the ground
Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 12:42 - Mar 3 with 3131 viewsSixtoP

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 12:29 - Mar 3 by trncbluearmy

Ipswich council would crawl over hot coals for that.
It maybe one of the attractions, there is loads of development potential around the ground

Always felt there is opportunity to do some work around what is currently the fanzone, something of this level would be brilliant.

Great way to get fans to the ground earlier and also maybe stay after and watch a sky game. Get a local brewery involved also adnams/greene king
Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 12:43 - Mar 3 with 3109 viewsStokieBlue

Watched a minor league baseball game in Pawtucket about 30 years ago.

The massive brawl when the pitcher hit the batsman was excellent viewing for a youngster.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 12:47 - Mar 3 with 3082 viewspennblue

Any development that gets done, they need a rounded plan. You saw what happened to Ipswich waterfront and the wine bottle. Those marketing sketches are great, but in order to create something truly sustainable will require the maths to be done properly

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 13:02 - Mar 3 with 2997 viewsGunnsAirkick

I do wonder if part of the reason for purchasing us is the land around the stadium. The practice pitch could have something built on it (which I'd be a bit sad about, but if it means the stadium stays where it is so be it). There is a ton of parking around the ground which I assume could be negotiated with the Council for other use if most of the parking is retained? I just hope they don't want to move the stadium, but we seem to be a lot bigger than other clubs they have invested in so I assume they don't have plans to do that.
Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 13:30 - Mar 3 with 2854 viewssoupytwist

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 13:02 - Mar 3 by GunnsAirkick

I do wonder if part of the reason for purchasing us is the land around the stadium. The practice pitch could have something built on it (which I'd be a bit sad about, but if it means the stadium stays where it is so be it). There is a ton of parking around the ground which I assume could be negotiated with the Council for other use if most of the parking is retained? I just hope they don't want to move the stadium, but we seem to be a lot bigger than other clubs they have invested in so I assume they don't have plans to do that.

As we don't own the land the stadium is built on, they wouldn't have that asset to sell in order to part fund a new stadium, which would make it rather expensive.

Presumably the practice pitch is part of the stadium plot and the council as landowners would need to be consulted in addition to the usual planning permission etc.
Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 13:37 - Mar 3 with 2784 viewsSomethingBlue

Think that's had a few issues early on with the pandemic, but very impressive if they do pull it off.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Login to get fewer ads

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 13:54 - Mar 3 with 2670 viewsjeera

Practically identical to what we already have.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 13:58 - Mar 3 with 2652 viewsElderGrizzly

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 13:30 - Mar 3 by soupytwist

As we don't own the land the stadium is built on, they wouldn't have that asset to sell in order to part fund a new stadium, which would make it rather expensive.

Presumably the practice pitch is part of the stadium plot and the council as landowners would need to be consulted in addition to the usual planning permission etc.

I do wonder if they will try again and do a deal with the Council.

Portman Road carpark is ripe for building on, as is the practice pitch and assume the bus depot too. Worth a lot more as residential than current use.
Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 14:15 - Mar 3 with 2579 viewsRegencyBlue

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 13:58 - Mar 3 by ElderGrizzly

Portman Road carpark is ripe for building on, as is the practice pitch and assume the bus depot too. Worth a lot more as residential than current use.

My understanding is that there is already planning permission for a multi storey car park and/or a hotel on the Portman Road car park so it is intended to build there.

I wonder if a cash strapped Council might want to do a deal as that side of town could certainly do with some improvement.
Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 14:16 - Mar 3 with 2548 viewschrismakin

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 14:15 - Mar 3 by RegencyBlue

My understanding is that there is already planning permission for a multi storey car park and/or a hotel on the Portman Road car park so it is intended to build there.

I wonder if a cash strapped Council might want to do a deal as that side of town could certainly do with some improvement.

It's those pesky houses behind the ground that causes issues

What I dont get is surely those houses were built after the football club was built? Or am I wrong. If I'm right shouldn't they just be told your choice to move next to a football club
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 14:22]

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 14:17 - Mar 3 with 2557 viewsElderGrizzly

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 14:15 - Mar 3 by RegencyBlue

Money tends to win, especially post-pandemic. Could be fortuitous timing...
Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 14:32 - Mar 3 with 2474 viewsdirtyboy

I wonder whether they might abandon Portman Road.

I know it would be unpopular amongst current supporters who have that longstanding history and affinity with the club, but the future is not us, it's attracting a new supporter who's coming not because their parents tell them to (let's be honest lol!) or because we're fashionable to support.

They need to think to the the generation z and alphas, the ones who come for the experience of a day out at a nice ground, with fancy bars around it and nice pretty things to sit on, bells and whistles and things looking like an ipad or dyson.

Sad fact is, we've stood still for years, we love the ground for the memories, but that's fast fading and if there's no immediate success, that memory won't get passed on so easily.

It has to be 'more than football'.
Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 14:34 - Mar 3 with 2453 viewsElderGrizzly

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 14:32 - Mar 3 by dirtyboy

I know it would be unpopular amongst current supporters who have that longstanding history and affinity with the club, but the future is not us, it's attracting a new supporter who's coming not because their parents tell them to (let's be honest lol!) or because we're fashionable to support.

They need to think to the the generation z and alphas, the ones who come for the experience of a day out at a nice ground, with fancy bars around it and nice pretty things to sit on, bells and whistles and things looking like an ipad or dyson.

Sad fact is, we've stood still for years, we love the ground for the memories, but that's fast fading and if there's no immediate success, that memory won't get passed on so easily.

You only have to look at Everton, who have huge history with their ground but the only way they can progress is by moving ground.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/all-about/new-everton-stadium
Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 14:35 - Mar 3 with 2448 viewsSpruceMoose

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 14:32 - Mar 3 by dirtyboy

If we moved I'm incredibly fearful of ending up with some soulless Madejski stadium type situation.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 14:37 - Mar 3 with 2427 viewsmonty_radio

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 14:16 - Mar 3 by chrismakin

It's those pesky houses behind the ground that causes issues

What I dont get is surely those houses were built after the football club was built? Or am I wrong. If I'm right shouldn't they just be told your choice to move next to a football club
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 14:22]

The ground had no real structure to it in its early days, did it? And no matter who gets there first issues such as right of light and air apply to all.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 17:39]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 14:42 - Mar 3 with 2396 viewsBLUEBEAT

SAVE DIGBY THE OCTOPUS

Poll: W or W

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 14:54 - Mar 3 with 2363 viewsdirtyboy

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 14:35 - Mar 3 by SpruceMoose

If we moved I'm incredibly fearful of ending up with some soulless Madejski stadium type situation.

You're not being objective.

The Madjeski is souless to you and I.

Let me explain.

I still love the fact that things fall off in my car, that the windows require manual effort to open and that in the summer, I'm praying for a dull day for any distance to travel as I have no air con.

That's character right? That's me and my motor and our 'history' of journeys and adventures of the years.

Put a teenager in my car and it's simply "we need a new car Dad, this one is shoite and looks rubbish".

I still use my 20 year old MTB, because it works and I know all about it and the good times we've had, yet my son won't be seen dead on it.

The point being, the next generation don't care about the past (well, not much) they want shiny, they want new and exciting.

And sadly, the club will exist long beyond us and therefore we are not really part of the long term plan in moving forward, we just need to do our bit and bore the next generation with " I remember when this was all fields ".

We've had our time.

DB aged 40, going on 105.
Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 14:58 - Mar 3 with 2348 viewsSpruceMoose

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 14:54 - Mar 3 by dirtyboy

Let me explain.

I still love the fact that things fall off in my car, that the windows require manual effort to open and that in the summer, I'm praying for a dull day for any distance to travel as I have no air con.

That's character right? That's me and my motor and our 'history' of journeys and adventures of the years.

Put a teenager in my car and it's simply "we need a new car Dad, this one is shoite and looks rubbish".

I still use my 20 year old MTB, because it works and I know all about it and the good times we've had, yet my son won't be seen dead on it.

The point being, the next generation don't care about the past (well, not much) they want shiny, they want new and exciting.

And sadly, the club will exist long beyond us and therefore we are not really part of the long term plan in moving forward, we just need to do our bit and bore the next generation with " I remember when this was all fields ".

We've had our time.

I don't see how a bowl in a field with nothing around it that you have to drive to is ever going to compete with the magic I felt as a kid walking down Birkfield Drive from Chantry and seeing the ground across Gippeswyk Park, right in the heart of the Town.

But maybe you're right and that's just the nostalgia of an old git!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 15:35 - Mar 3 with 2282 viewsRaffles

It's fascinating that at the end of the development video, the graphics feature Town's win at Accrington last night. So it looks like game on.
Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 15:37 - Mar 3 with 2267 viewsSomethingBlue

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 15:35 - Mar 3 by Raffles

It's fascinating that at the end of the development video, the graphics feature Town's win at Accrington last night. So it looks like game on.

Think that's your youtube algorithm!

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 15:39 - Mar 3 with 2247 viewsGunnsAirkick

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 14:54 - Mar 3 by dirtyboy

Let me explain.

We've had our time.

I get what you're saying, but the pros of staying outweigh the cons I think:

- It's in a great location, not far from the Town centre and next to the Train Station.
- The practice pitch area seems ripe for building some sort of food, drink and entertainment facility on it opened to the public (something which it is sort of already used for).
- There's ample parking next to the stadium.
- There's potential expansion outside the stadium complex (Suffolk CC dependent).

Cons are like you say, the stadium is creaking a bit now (especially the Cobbold Stand), but it would surely be cheaper to modernise than build something from scratch and have to procure some new land to build on, etc?

I have no business knowledge at all though, so could be talking complete cr@p, haha.
Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 15:41 - Mar 3 with 2233 viewshype313

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 13:58 - Mar 3 by ElderGrizzly

They could do tailgate parties on the old practice pitch.

The land where the drum and that car showroom were initially earmarked for a hotel chain and car park, but given the current situation I wouldn't be surprised if that is all on hold, so if the new owners approach the council with ambitious plans for that area then I'm sure they would be welcome with open arms.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 15:42 - Mar 3 with 2224 viewsSpruceMoose

Brett Johnson Rhode Island Development on 15:41 - Mar 3 by hype313

They could do tailgate parties on the old practice pitch.

The land where the drum and that car showroom were initially earmarked for a hotel chain and car park, but given the current situation I wouldn't be surprised if that is all on hold, so if the new owners approach the council with ambitious plans for that area then I'm sure they would be welcome with open arms.

The thing nobody ever discusses is how in many parts of the US drink driving isn't he huge taboo that it is in the UK. I dread to think how many folks drive away from NFL or MLB games over the limit!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024