Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Penalty Vs AS 12:28 - Mar 3 with 1990 viewsKropotkin123

I've watched it a few time this morning and I'm surprised they feel hard done by.

- We were one-on-one with the keeper.
- Their player slid in recklessly
- They made no contact with the ball ( the reason it goes off to the side is because our player hits it with his hand as he goes to ground)
- He was the last defender

I get that in the moment you could see it as their player hitting the ball and making a good challenge. But they said they watched it on a monitor, and he clearly didn't hit the ball.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

The Penalty Vs AS on 12:31 - Mar 3 with 1944 viewstractorboy1978

Double jeopardy is another of these daft (IMO) rule changes where if you attempt to play the ball and the penalty is given you don't get sent off. It's entirely subjective rather than objective though in most cases so causes more ambiguity.
The Penalty Vs AS on 12:31 - Mar 3 with 1938 viewsFixed_It

I don't think they were disputing the penalty so much as the resultant sending off.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

The Penalty Vs AS on 12:32 - Mar 3 with 1938 viewsBloomBlue

Isn't the rule 'if the player attempts to get the ball it's a yellow not a red'. The issue then is did the ref think he was attempting to get the ball? Clearly the ref didn't think that he was and had taken the Town player deliberately out to prevent him getting the ball whereas clearly AS think he was attempting to get the ball
The Penalty Vs AS on 12:39 - Mar 3 with 1838 viewsHerbivore

As others have said the complaints were less about the pen but more the red card. I've only seen it once but my take is that it may look like a tackle but he had no realistic chance of legally winning the ball from where he was. So for me I don't really see how it constitutes an attempt to win the ball, but the law is now fairly ambiguous and I can understand Stanley feeling that it was an attempt to win the ball, albeit one that had a roughly 0% chance of ever being successful within the laws of the game.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 12:54]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The Penalty Vs AS on 12:40 - Mar 3 with 1825 viewsSteve_M

Yes, I watched it again and couldn't see that as a challenge with a genuine likelihood of getting the ball. I thought he would get sent off at the time bit probably wouldn't have argued too much had that only been yellow.

It was similar to Chambers against Leeds a couple of years ago, we didn't complain about that very much. Or maybe that's because Roofe's penalty was one for the ages.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The Penalty Vs AS on 12:49 - Mar 3 with 1762 viewsEastTownBlue

Others have already explained the genuine attempt to play the ball part of the law.

It would have been good to see a side angle view on how close the possibility of winning the ball was. I suspect the majority of referees would have gone for a yellow card as a safe option.
The Penalty Vs AS on 13:08 - Mar 3 with 1660 viewsDurovigutum

The Penalty Vs AS on 12:49 - Mar 3 by EastTownBlue

Others have already explained the genuine attempt to play the ball part of the law.

It would have been good to see a side angle view on how close the possibility of winning the ball was. I suspect the majority of referees would have gone for a yellow card as a safe option.

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.

The ball and attacker had gone past the defender, for me "no possibility to play the ball"
The Penalty Vs AS on 13:11 - Mar 3 with 1635 viewsgordon

It's a very subjective rule change - you can make a 'genuine' attempt to play the ball when you've got a 1/100 chance of actually getting the ball.
Login to get fewer ads

The Penalty Vs AS on 13:22 - Mar 3 with 1546 viewsChurchman

Watched it a couple of times. It’s marginal, but he had no chance of getting the ball. He was a mile off. For me, he deserved to go, but I can see why they’re a bit hacked off.

Nice for something like that to go our way for a change.
The Penalty Vs AS on 13:22 - Mar 3 with 1544 viewsBluedanW

The Penalty Vs AS on 13:11 - Mar 3 by gordon

It's a very subjective rule change - you can make a 'genuine' attempt to play the ball when you've got a 1/100 chance of actually getting the ball.

It's a daft rule then if you have no chance of taking the ball legally without being sent off. Are you are expected to just watch him score. I'm not sure any manager would be happy for their player to do that.
The Penalty Vs AS on 13:28 - Mar 3 with 1518 viewsRadlett_blue

Interesting point. From that angle, you're right - the chance of making a fair tackle was about 1 in 100 so I think a red card was correct. You would need to ask the lawyers if there was a possibility of making a "genuine" attempt to play the ball under those circumstances.
If the boot was on the other foot, we'd have argued it should only have been yellow.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The Penalty Vs AS on 13:31 - Mar 3 with 1493 viewspatrickswell

The Penalty Vs AS on 13:28 - Mar 3 by Radlett_blue

Interesting point. From that angle, you're right - the chance of making a fair tackle was about 1 in 100 so I think a red card was correct. You would need to ask the lawyers if there was a possibility of making a "genuine" attempt to play the ball under those circumstances.
If the boot was on the other foot, we'd have argued it should only have been yellow.

I bet Toto Nsiala was watching all that unfold and thinking, ‘Yep, welcome to my world.”
The Penalty Vs AS on 13:37 - Mar 3 with 1472 viewsEastTownBlue

The Penalty Vs AS on 13:28 - Mar 3 by Radlett_blue

The more I look at it the less sympathy I have with the defender.

It also looks as though his left leg may have made a second attempt at making sure that he was brought down.
The Penalty Vs AS on 13:55 - Mar 3 with 1405 viewsoldburian

The Penalty Vs AS on 13:37 - Mar 3 by EastTownBlue

The more I look at it the less sympathy I have with the defender.

It also looks as though his left leg may have made a second attempt at making sure that he was brought down.

It was more a sending off than Dozzell's at Sunderland and certainly a more obvious penalty. We have not had a fair shake of the dice this season by any means.
The Penalty Vs AS on 14:17 - Mar 3 with 1343 viewsCheltenham_Blue

The Penalty Vs AS on 12:32 - Mar 3 by BloomBlue

Isn't the rule 'if the player attempts to get the ball it's a yellow not a red'. The issue then is did the ref think he was attempting to get the ball? Clearly the ref didn't think that he was and had taken the Town player deliberately out to prevent him getting the ball whereas clearly AS think he was attempting to get the ball

Looked to me like he played the player rather than the ball.

It by and large set the tone for AS all night, who really did at points start to look like an utter sh ithouse side. Their no3 (Hughes) and their no7 (Smith) who were both fell over so readily I was starting to think I was watching, 'Accrington Vs Ipswich - On Ice'

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

The Penalty Vs AS on 14:24 - Mar 3 with 1318 viewsElderGrizzly

Some of the Nsiala challenges early this season i'm sure were genuine attempts to get the ball. Nowhere bloody near, but still.

All depends on whose view it is I guess.
The Penalty Vs AS on 14:31 - Mar 3 with 1297 viewsPrideOfTheEast

The Penalty Vs AS on 12:32 - Mar 3 by BloomBlue

Looked to me like he was taking the player without really attempting to get the ball. That said, a yellow would have been the safe option.

Nonsense rule. Refs are not mind readers.
The Penalty Vs AS on 14:35 - Mar 3 with 1281 viewsSwansea_Blue

I think they may have a case (although I'm not sure). You can still make a complete hash of it and wipe a player out trying to get the ball. it would only be a straight red coming through the back of a player if excessive force was used, and I don't think it was. The double jeopardy rule is to distinguish between genuine challenges and things like just cynically hauling a player to the ground.

I'm sure they make these laws as ambiguous as possible to create discussion points.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024