Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cook on Structure (Sheff Wed intrerview) 12:50 - Mar 3 with 822 viewsSmithy

Given the situation, have you re-set the standards and criteria you would normally have?

I’ve got be careful, for managers when you’re out of work there are so many angles with social media and outlets for sport and news.

From a personal point of view, football has changed so much for a manager. There’s a new term called a ‘head coach’, isn’t there? And somewhere along the line in football, the manager has evolved into the head coach and the head coach is not the manager.

Well I’m a little bit old fashioned in that I think the manager is the manager and the head coach is the manager, that’s where I sit.

I see clubs nowadays and I feel the way forward is most definitely having a sporting director involved, recruitment rooms. A manager needs help, he really does.

But one thing that really does disappoint me, we only see managers sacked. You never, ever see anybody else within a football club sacked, do you?

So from my point of view I want to go back in and I’ve been lucky at my football clubs. Especially at Chesterfield where I had Chris Turner, my CEO, we had a fantastic relationship. I went down to Portsmouth with Leam Richardson we had Mark Catlin and Tony Brown, again a fantastic relationship.

I went up to Wigan with David Sharpe who was the chairman, sporting director, everything. And again I had a fantastic relationship. My latter stages at Wigan Athletic were with Darren Royle the executive chairman and with Joe Royle, the sporting director and again, a fantastic relationship.

I think those relationships at football clubs are absolutely paramount. It’s a huge thing for football managers going forward.

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

Cook on Structure (Sheff Wed intrerview) on 14:10 - Mar 3 with 566 viewsRadlett_blue

Cook sees himself very much as the "manager". That fits the Evans template perfectly. Let's hope he is a better manager than at least 4 of the 5 Evans has appointed!

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Cook on Structure (Sheff Wed intrerview) on 14:33 - Mar 3 with 464 viewsmonty_radio

Cook on Structure (Sheff Wed intrerview) on 14:10 - Mar 3 by Radlett_blue

Cook sees himself very much as the "manager". That fits the Evans template perfectly. Let's hope he is a better manager than at least 4 of the 5 Evans has appointed!

That certainly seems the case. In the hour-long interview/chat with the then unemployed Cook and Danny Cowley posted a few days ago, it was Cowley who talked much about club structure. Cook was more willing to talk of the buck stopping with the manager - though he also repeated there his thought that where there were club structures with loads of people, he'd often felt that some of these others might take more blame when failure occurred.

All this was in December. He spoke too of the necessity of a good link with the main person in place at the club whether it be a sporting director or a chief-exec. I can't think that he would see LO'N as filling that substantial role which made me worry that he might in the event accommodate himself to being quite happy to be exactly the same sort of incumbent that we've become used to - absent owner, big manager, no structure.

I liked both of them, but warmed more to Cowley's reasoned approaches than to Cook who was quite sincere and chirpy, but might perhaps turn into something less warming if the pressure ramped up. He will certainly be great now though, and let's hope that relative success keeps it that way.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 17:42]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024