Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Flynn Downes 13:37 - Mar 3 with 2278 viewsMetal_Hacker

Somewhat of a pivotal period for the young guy

Can't help but think that the next few months could define his career medium term.Firstly he has to break back into the starting XI and stake a claim to start ahead of the current players ahead of him be it because of form or fitness.

Let's consider he breaks into the starting XI and manages to keep his head and be the player we know he can be - future club captain no doubt

I hope he can manage to reach the heights that were expected medium term but it really is up to him

Fail and he could quite easily be another one of those "could've beens"

This is now the perfect platform for him to kick ahead

Thoughts ?

Poll: If it were one or the other

Flynn Downes on 13:43 - Mar 3 with 2207 viewsBLUEBEAT

Lots of similarities with Owen Garvan’s time here...

Poll: W or W

Flynn Downes on 13:44 - Mar 3 with 2191 viewschrismakin

Flynn Downes on 13:43 - Mar 3 by BLUEBEAT

Garvin. Hyam.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Flynn Downes on 13:46 - Mar 3 with 2176 viewsMetal_Hacker

Flynn Downes on 13:43 - Mar 3 by BLUEBEAT

I can't help but think this period under new management is going to be huge for him . The potential he has as a player and club captain could certainly IMHO define his career - it's now whether he wants to or perhaps if PC can see the potential

Really important for him to knuckle down and mature I feel

Flynn Downes on 13:48 - Mar 3 with 2153 viewsDarth_Koont

He’s been disappointing as before, even when the team was crap, he always stood out. But maybe you just can’t do that long-term and coming back into the team he also needs time to adjust.

Here’s hoping a change of manager and approach/atmosphere will settle him down.

He also shows flashes that he still has it. A quite beautiful moment last night when he picked up a loose ball on the edge of their box by effortlessly levering one of them off the ball and calmly passing it out to the free man on the right. When he did that he looked like he was playing at the very highest level.

Pronouns: He/Him

Flynn Downes on 13:50 - Mar 3 with 2135 viewsSteve_M

I thought Downes had come back well in January, certainly a bright spot in the side and it was obvious what he added off the ball. The red card was stupid and seems to have overly-coloured perceptions of his form over the previous month.

Its obviously not been a good season and Downes needs to be better on the ball to fulfil the very obvious potential he has. I doubt he will be in our first team next year, just a shame we will get so little for him.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Flynn Downes on 13:55 - Mar 3 with 2078 viewschicoazul

Flynn Downes on 13:50 - Mar 3 by Steve_M

I thought Downes had come back well in January, certainly a bright spot in the side and it was obvious what he added off the ball. The red card was stupid and seems to have overly-coloured perceptions of his form over the previous month.

Its obviously not been a good season and Downes needs to be better on the ball to fulfil the very obvious potential he has. I doubt he will be in our first team next year, just a shame we will get so little for him.

Isn’t he contacted for three more years? I agree we prob won’t get as much as we would have from Palace though.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Flynn Downes on 13:58 - Mar 3 with 2040 viewsblueoxford

Hopefully he will benefit from greater stability from above.

I can’t help but think that the rash tackles and abuse of referees emanated from Lambert’s inconsistent approach to the players and press.

Although early days, there has certainly been more of team spirit in the last fortnight and less rash tackles and that can only help Downes and the other ‘younger’ players
Flynn Downes on 13:59 - Mar 3 with 2029 viewsSomethingBlue

The worry is that we don't go up and he & Dozzell (and even perhaps Bishop) end up at mid-table Championship clubs. Would be a huge frustration but it's very possible.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Login to get fewer ads

Flynn Downes on 14:04 - Mar 3 with 1979 viewsgordon

Until the last few games, you'd have said that a midfield of Bennetts, Dozzell, Bishop and Judge was woefully lacking in defensive discipline, toughness, positional sense, and getting stuck in - but it hasn't turned out to be the case at all.

Dozzell's been brilliant, maybe less fancy passes, but doing so much more of the donkey work, looking much stronger when breaking on the ball. Same for Bishop - less twinkly toes runs, but more energy and defensive stuff, but with a sprinkling of quality as well.

If they carry on playing like that, difficult to see why Downes would come in, except as a sub to shore things up, or if we were to move Bishop further forward and drop / rest Judge or Bennetts (but then, they've both been pretty good last couple of games too).

It'll be really interesting to see how we are set up for Cook's first game, wouldn't be surprised to see another unchanged line-up.
Flynn Downes on 14:46 - Mar 3 with 1820 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Flynn Downes on 13:44 - Mar 3 by chrismakin

Garvin. Hyam.

Add Trotter to the list.
Flynn Downes on 14:51 - Mar 3 with 1787 viewsDyland

Flynn Downes on 13:59 - Mar 3 by SomethingBlue

The worry is that we don't go up and he & Dozzell (and even perhaps Bishop) end up at mid-table Championship clubs. Would be a huge frustration but it's very possible.

I can see that happening even if we did defy the odds and get promoted...

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Flynn Downes on 14:55 - Mar 3 with 1760 viewsunstableblue

Flynn Downes on 13:48 - Mar 3 by Darth_Koont

He’s been disappointing as before, even when the team was crap, he always stood out. But maybe you just can’t do that long-term and coming back into the team he also needs time to adjust.

Here’s hoping a change of manager and approach/atmosphere will settle him down.

He also shows flashes that he still has it. A quite beautiful moment last night when he picked up a loose ball on the edge of their box by effortlessly levering one of them off the ball and calmly passing it out to the free man on the right. When he did that he looked like he was playing at the very highest level.

Went to a Blackpool home game not so long ago,with a Blackpool fan, Downes was the best player on the pitch and oozed class. Fan was raving about him.

He's got the attributes... and I personally would try and build the team around him, dozzell and bishop

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Flynn Downes on 14:57 - Mar 3 with 1724 viewsMetal_Hacker

Flynn Downes on 14:55 - Mar 3 by unstableblue

Went to a Blackpool home game not so long ago,with a Blackpool fan, Downes was the best player on the pitch and oozed class. Fan was raving about him.

He's got the attributes... and I personally would try and build the team around him, dozzell and bishop

Think this is the issue , it's on the shoulders of Flynn himself which worries me

Be a shame either not to see him at his very best in a Town shirt or see him end up as a bench warmer in the Championship with someone else

He needs to become the deep/holding midfielder in Cook's central 2 on 12:14 - Mar 4 with 1459 viewsunstableblue

He's probably our best player on his day, can grab a game

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

He needs to become the deep/holding midfielder in Cook's central 2 on 12:15 - Mar 4 with 1438 viewsitfcjoe

He needs to become the deep/holding midfielder in Cook's central 2 on 12:14 - Mar 4 by unstableblue

He's probably our best player on his day, can grab a game

He really looks a Paul Cook type player when you listen to the stykle he is tied to from previous clubs

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

He needs to become the deep/holding midfielder in Cook's central 2 on 12:17 - Mar 4 with 1411 viewsMetal_Hacker

He needs to become the deep/holding midfielder in Cook's central 2 on 12:15 - Mar 4 by itfcjoe

He really looks a Paul Cook type player when you listen to the stykle he is tied to from previous clubs

Perhaps so and as much I want to see Flynn succeed , only he can do this now

He's got to show some maturity and cut the petulance out .... seriously think this next few months could define his career medium term

Flynn Downes on 12:17 - Mar 4 with 1408 viewsWD19

I think a more relaxed, supportive, jocular management style may help him.

He seems to plays in quite an 'up tight' and 'intense' way and I think might benefit from dialling that down a bit.
Flynn Downes on 12:18 - Mar 4 with 1407 viewssolemio

Flynn Downes on 14:46 - Mar 3 by ArnoldMoorhen

Add Trotter to the list.

DelBoy?
Flynn Downes on 12:25 - Mar 4 with 1369 viewsMrTown

He'll be very important under Cook.

in the 4-2-3-1 himselfand Dozzell as the anchors will be what Cook goes for I am sure.

One with good passing ability from deep, and one with aggression and enforcement.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Flynn Downes on 12:39 - Mar 4 with 1265 viewsChurchman

I think that’s highly likely and it would be good for their careers to take a step up. I suspect their fitness would see significant improvement too.
Flynn Downes on 12:48 - Mar 4 with 1212 viewsgordon

Think this is likely, and if those clubs can teach Dozzell how to tackle, Downes how to control his aggression, and make Bishop a bit more robust, they've got some pretty good players on their hands.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024