Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Be careful what you wish for 19:49 - Mar 3 with 2659 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

I would've thought ITFC fans would perhaps be a little bit reticent about big changes, but it seems as though almost everyone wants Gamechanger 20 to take majority ownership.

Just ask yourself, why? Why would a group of US investment brokers and asset managers be interested in purchasing ITFC? They have no connection to ITFC or to Suffolk, and not much connection to football, so what are they hoping to do? Why are they doing searches on the land ownership around our training facilities?

If we had a potential investor who was genuinely a real football nut, and had tens of millions money to splurge, I would love to see it. I just don't see anything like that with these Americans and I'm worried that they will asset strip the club and ruin us. In my humble opinion, ME has been far too involved in tinkering with football matters, and has in the past not picked the right managers. But he has provided enough dosh for us to have the best squad in League 1 . Better the devil you know - I would be happy now to see what Paul Cook can do, and see if we can get promoted without selling out to people I don't trust.

Poll: would you rather

Be careful what you wish for on 19:52 - Mar 3 with 2285 viewsCokeIsKey

Enjoyed reading your statement earlier, Marcus.

Poll: Should Lambert continue as the Ipswich Town manager?

Be careful what you wish for on 19:52 - Mar 3 with 2275 viewsJ2BLUE

Better the devil you know

Yes the 13 year slide has been great hasn't it? No sign that it will turn around under Evans' leadership and we'll probably see league 2 before the Premier League but best not take a risk eh?

We know the plan is to get us up the leagues and sell us on. It might go badly, it might be worse than Evans but it's pretty unlikely isn't it?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Be careful what you wish for on 19:53 - Mar 3 with 2271 viewsArnieM

What connect did the the lot that bought Man City have with the area and the Club?

Answer .........?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Be careful what you wish for on 19:53 - Mar 3 with 2258 viewsthebooks

I share some of your concerns, but “he has provided enough dosh for us to have the best squad in League 1” is really saying he has neglected the squad so much we’re now in League One.

I’d only really be happy if we had some form of fan ownership, but this isn’t going to happen unless we go bust and are in a lower league. Perhaps that’s what’ll end up happening, though.
Be careful what you wish for on 19:57 - Mar 3 with 2219 viewsLeoMuff

I can see what your saying but we started under ME as one of the best funded squads in the championship, and have ended up one of the best funded in league 1 and still, last 3 games excluded , nowhere near the pace.

Multiple failures in manager appointment, multiple managers saying the structure is not right, ME has not reinvested transfer fees in the squad or invested in infrastructure

Yes new owners may be disastrous but all evidence points to further downward slide under ME and I am happy to take my chances with other owners.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Be careful what you wish for on 20:00 - Mar 3 with 2182 viewsJ2BLUE

Be careful what you wish for on 19:57 - Mar 3 by LeoMuff

I can see what your saying but we started under ME as one of the best funded squads in the championship, and have ended up one of the best funded in league 1 and still, last 3 games excluded , nowhere near the pace.

Multiple failures in manager appointment, multiple managers saying the structure is not right, ME has not reinvested transfer fees in the squad or invested in infrastructure

Yes new owners may be disastrous but all evidence points to further downward slide under ME and I am happy to take my chances with other owners.

It has amazed me how many fans we have who are so scared of the slightest risk that they think the slow and steady decline we've been in for over a decade is ok.

Truly impaired.

Be careful what you wish for on 20:26 - Mar 3 with 2097 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Be careful what you wish for on 20:00 - Mar 3 by J2BLUE

It has amazed me how many fans we have who are so scared of the slightest risk that they think the slow and steady decline we've been in for over a decade is ok.

I just think ME wasn't and isn't rich enough. He was out of his depth financially in the Championship - almost as soon as he took control it seemed that football costs went crazy. league 1 probably suits his pocket much better and if we can get promoted, we would need to see an investor who could take us further. Shame it's all about money innit?

Be careful what you wish for on 20:27 - Mar 3 with 2083 viewsjayessess

What assets are there to strip?

There's no money to be made out of owning Ipswich Town that doesn't involve success on the pitch.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Login to get fewer ads

Be careful what you wish for on 20:29 - Mar 3 with 2063 viewsSuperblue95

Be careful what you wish for on 20:26 - Mar 3 by LegendofthePhoenix

I just think ME wasn't and isn't rich enough. He was out of his depth financially in the Championship - almost as soon as he took control it seemed that football costs went crazy. league 1 probably suits his pocket much better and if we can get promoted, we would need to see an investor who could take us further. Shame it's all about money innit?

Evans is a hell of a lot richer than Delia Smith but them lot have done alright since we became a shadow of our former selves

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Be careful what you wish for on 20:31 - Mar 3 with 2030 viewsRyorry

There's a difference between being people "scared of the slightest risk", & ME doing due diligence tho - because if he didn't do it, any takeover would just be a massive gamble taking enormous & completely unnecessary risk.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Why not start a thread with the title... on 20:33 - Mar 3 with 2022 viewsScottCandage

Your wife is ugly and your children are morons...
Be careful what you wish for on 20:33 - Mar 3 with 2022 viewsJ2BLUE

Be careful what you wish for on 20:31 - Mar 3 by Ryorry

There's a difference between being people "scared of the slightest risk", & ME doing due diligence tho - because if he didn't do it, any takeover would just be a massive gamble taking enormous & completely unnecessary risk.

I have no idea why you're connecting those two issues. I haven't disagreed.

Truly impaired.

Be careful what you wish for on 20:34 - Mar 3 with 1999 viewsjeera

We don't have any assets.

There's a bit of ground owned by Evans and ok, if he's being honest and wants to protect the club by refusing to sell that bit of soil until he's sure who they are and what they want, then credit to him.

He will have fulfilled at least a part of his promise of custodian.

But the worth of that land may run, what, into the hundreds of thousands [?]*, and for a US consortium to go to all that trouble for that?

If Evans wanted a return on that land he could just sell it himself for development if permission was viable.

That sounds more far-fetched than the romance and possible returns of taking on an English football club lock stock and barrel.

Would they purchase an entire club with the sole intention of doing the dirty and giving themselves a reputation and a potential load of grief too?

* I have no idea what that land is worth as it stands.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Be careful what you wish for on 20:38 - Mar 3 with 1968 viewsRyorry

Be careful what you wish for on 20:33 - Mar 3 by J2BLUE

I have no idea why you're connecting those two issues. I haven't disagreed.

You seemed to be criticising those who are more cautious than others who appear to be wanting the take-over to go ahead whatever, in a 'what have we got to lose' fashion. Apols if I got it wrong

Be careful what you wish for on 20:40 - Mar 3 with 1957 viewsChurchman

So you prefer the club to die bit by bit than take a chance on a future.

Because die it surely will. Guardiola and Klopp would stand no chance with Evans, let alone Cook. In a few years Evans will be telling us we have facilities to compete with most in the division above, League One. A few years later, our ambition will be to be a football league club. After that: oh. Evidence? The last 13 years.

Be happy with the slow death of the club. I am not
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 20:55]
Be careful what you wish for on 20:40 - Mar 3 with 1956 viewsSouperJim

Be careful what you wish for on 20:34 - Mar 3 by jeera

There's a bit of ground owned by Evans and ok, if he's being honest and wants to protect the club by refusing to sell that bit of soil until he's sure who they are and what they want, then credit to him.

But the worth of that land may run, what, into the hundreds of thousands [?]*, and for a US consortium to go to all that trouble for that?

If Evans wanted a return on that land he could just sell it himself for development if permission was viable.

That sounds more far-fetched than the romance and possible returns of taking on an English football club lock stock and barrel.

Would they purchase an entire club with the sole intention of doing the dirty and giving themselves a reputation and a potential load of grief too?

Exactly this. Asset strip the club? I don't think Chambos undies will return them much profit on 30m.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Be careful what you wish for on 20:52 - Mar 3 with 1891 viewsjayessess

Be careful what you wish for on 20:34 - Mar 3 by jeera

Unless I've misread Playford Road is about 2 acres of land, and an acre of development land on the outskirts of a town in Southern England is worth about £1m, I think?

Even if you bought the club for the lower quoted price (£17.5m), you wouldn't make a profit on selling the entire squad and the training ground. Everything else is rented.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 21:11]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Be careful what you wish for on 20:56 - Mar 3 with 1856 viewsjeera

Be careful what you wish for on 20:52 - Mar 3 by jayessess

Unless I've misread Playford Road is about 2 acres of land, and an acre of development land on the outskirts of a town in Southern England is worth about £1m, I think?

Even if you bought the club for the lower quoted price (£17.5m), you wouldn't make a profit on selling the entire squad and the training ground. Everything else is rented.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 21:11]

"Even if your bought the club for the lower quoted price (£17.5m), you wouldn't make a profit on selling the entire squad and the training ground. Everything else is rented."

Well, quite.

So that theory doesn't work in any way.

Good to put these to bed one by one.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Be careful what you wish for on 20:59 - Mar 3 with 1827 viewsRyorry

on 01:00 - Jan 1 by

That makes sense, thanks for the clarification & analysis 👍

Be careful what you wish for on 22:11 - Mar 3 with 1693 viewsJ2BLUE

Be careful what you wish for on 20:38 - Mar 3 by Ryorry

You seemed to be criticising those who are more cautious than others who appear to be wanting the take-over to go ahead whatever, in a 'what have we got to lose' fashion. Apols if I got it wrong

I'm talking about people who would prefer us staying with Evans than take any risk at all on a new owner.

Obviously Evans taking a bit of extra time to make sure the consortium are decent people would be great but we have no evidence that's the case.

Truly impaired.

Be careful what you wish for on 17:40 - Mar 4 with 1436 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Be careful what you wish for on 20:59 - Mar 3 by Ryorry

That makes sense, thanks for the clarification & analysis 👍

Yeah - good points in that. I hope that they are in it for the right reasons. I looked up the people on LinkedIn and found them all - and it just concerns me that they look very corporate and want to make money from this. If, and it is a pretty big if, they align making money with success on the pitch then fantastic, that is what we all want. And as I said further down, Evans does not seem rich enough to bankroll year after year of underachieving in the Championship with the consequence we are in L1. He either needs to sell, or have some luck, or make some good appointments (of Manager and CEO) and let them get on with it. So far he has done none of those things. Noj have clearly done a few things right, and maybe had some luck that we haven't.

I think ME has wanted the best for the club, he just made a series of decisions in the past that didn't work out. Whether this sale goes through or not, we need to hope that in Paul Cook he has got the right manager, it could be good times ahead if so.

Be careful what you wish for on 20:51 - Mar 4 with 1322 viewsN2_Blue

I think that's very unfair.

You clearly want a takeover whatever happens.

Some fans are a little more cautious because we don't want to be the next Bury Town....and you are naive if you don't think it's a possibility. You seem to want to take a risk at any cost!?

Fans want change, but they also don't want to risk the club going out of existence.

It doesn't mean they think the decline under ME is ok.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Be careful what you wish for on 21:03 - Mar 4 with 1281 viewsJ2BLUE

Be careful what you wish for on 20:51 - Mar 4 by N2_Blue

I think that's very unfair.

You clearly want a takeover whatever happens.

Some fans are a little more cautious because we don't want to be the next Bury Town....and you are naive if you don't think it's a possibility. You seem to want to take a risk at any cost!?

Fans want change, but they also don't want to risk the club going out of existence.

It doesn't mean they think the decline under ME is ok.

No as i've repeatedly said it's fine to be a bit cautious but I fail to see how anyone can be against it once they consider where we are. The new owners want to get us up the leagues and sell us on. That could go wrong yes but we're unlikely to be in any worse situation than we are currently where the club cannot compete wit Championship clubs. Our downward slide had been taking place since Evans came in.

As far as i'm concerned it's an obvious gamble to take. Not much downside and unlikely we're ever going to be the next Bury (a chance yet but i'd say it's extremely unlikely) but with massive upside.

Nothing wrong with caution but there has been a lot of people posting things like better the devil we know...

Truly impaired.

Be careful what you wish for on 22:04 - Mar 4 with 1187 viewsN2_Blue

Be careful what you wish for on 21:03 - Mar 4 by J2BLUE

No as i've repeatedly said it's fine to be a bit cautious but I fail to see how anyone can be against it once they consider where we are. The new owners want to get us up the leagues and sell us on. That could go wrong yes but we're unlikely to be in any worse situation than we are currently where the club cannot compete wit Championship clubs. Our downward slide had been taking place since Evans came in.

As far as i'm concerned it's an obvious gamble to take. Not much downside and unlikely we're ever going to be the next Bury (a chance yet but i'd say it's extremely unlikely) but with massive upside.

Nothing wrong with caution but there has been a lot of people posting things like better the devil we know...

Can tell you are a gambler.

If you can't see any downside i'd say you need to research more about football ownership and takeovers. Bury is extreme but there are plenty of not very happy stories.

If Evans stayed as owner but had nothing to do with decision making and appointed a proper structure to run the football club while he took a back seat I'd rather go with that than selling to group that are just looking to make a profit and don't appear to have that much money to invest in us.

We'll probaly see much less investment tah Evans does year in year out. They need to spend best part of 5-10 million a year just to keep us running.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Be careful what you wish for on 22:11 - Mar 4 with 568 viewsJ2BLUE

Be careful what you wish for on 22:04 - Mar 4 by N2_Blue

Can tell you are a gambler.

If you can't see any downside i'd say you need to research more about football ownership and takeovers. Bury is extreme but there are plenty of not very happy stories.

If Evans stayed as owner but had nothing to do with decision making and appointed a proper structure to run the football club while he took a back seat I'd rather go with that than selling to group that are just looking to make a profit and don't appear to have that much money to invest in us.

We'll probaly see much less investment tah Evans does year in year out. They need to spend best part of 5-10 million a year just to keep us running.

I said not much downside, not that there isn't any downside. The potential positives far outweigh the potential negatives.

Your point about Evans hasn't happened in 13 years despite him getting almost everything wrong. Phil tells us he doesn't want to delegate control. So that's not an option. We need to stick to reality rather than create alternatives which aren't going to happen.

I'm sure they have some sort of plan. They've seen what has happened with the investment Evans has put in so I doubt their plan is to invest less. Also, Evans was said to put in £6m per year. Then it was £8m. Now it's £5-10m! I think, if we take the pandemic out of it, if we look back his average investment won't be anywhere near £5m per year.

Again, for me, the POTENTIAL benefits vastly outweigh the POTENTIAL negatives. I strongly believe the club needs a takeover. By the sounds of it from Phil there's plenty of interest in the club. It doesn't need to be the American backed investment if Evans doesn't think they are a good fit but it's time he steps aside. He has always said he will step aside if there is a takeover that will benefit the club. If you trust him then why not trust his judgement here?

Truly impaired.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024