Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
UPDATE - Paul Mariner book 21:12 - Mar 3 with 4713 viewsMarkDonaldson

Evening

Just a quick post to try and guage how much interest there would be among Ipswich supporters if Paul Mariner was to release his autobiography?

I've worked with Paul at ESPN for many years - he's now moved back to England, I still commentate on football over here in the States - and we've had conversations about potentially doing a book together with me ghost-writing it for him (as I did with Steve Nicol, who Paul worked with at New England Revolution and at ESPN).

All feedback is welcomed and will help us decide if this is an idea worth pursuing.

My thanks in advance, (and apologies if this should have been posted in the GENERAL thread instead of the FOOTBALL one!)

Mark Donaldson
[Post edited 18 Mar 2021 21:35]
Paul Mariner book on 21:14 - Mar 3 with 3077 viewsParisBlue

Sign me up...

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Paul Mariner book on 21:15 - Mar 3 with 3066 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This is definitely a football thread!

You have come to the right place to canvass views. Mariner is a hero here having been a key part of Robson's successful teams. I would definitely be interested in a copy at a reasonable price.

There are plenty of ex-ITFC players around who I am sure would give you information too.

EDIT: Oh, and if you are talking to him soon, wish him the best with his medical treatment from all ITFC fans.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 21:17]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Paul Mariner book on 21:15 - Mar 3 with 3065 viewsMullet

This is the place to flog it. I'd buy two copies at least probably more for friends and family.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Paul Mariner book on 21:17 - Mar 3 with 3050 viewsFixed_It

It's a yes from me.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Paul Mariner book on 21:18 - Mar 3 with 3033 viewsCoastalblue

I'd buy and read it without doubt.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Paul Mariner book on 21:19 - Mar 3 with 3026 viewsGuthrum

Yes, I'd be interested.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Paul Mariner book on 21:20 - Mar 3 with 3016 viewsbobwya

I can't wait!
Paul Mariner book on 21:20 - Mar 3 with 3029 viewsPhilTWTD

I'm sure it would sell very well. More than happy to sell it via the site or do anything else to help promote. Pass on my regards to him when you speak to him.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Login to get fewer ads

Paul Mariner book on 21:22 - Mar 3 with 2995 viewsNBVJohn

One of my heroes when I was growing up.

I thoroughly enjoyed similar books about John Wark and Terry Butcher and I would love to read this book.
Paul Mariner book on 21:23 - Mar 3 with 2983 viewsketton_itfc

Defo yes, would love it!
Paul Mariner book on 21:26 - Mar 3 with 2974 viewsfloridablue

A must... One of my all time favourite Town players and I was living in Plymouth (Mutley Plain) the year he signed for Town. Hitched and trained back to Ipswich for his home debut even though I could hardly afford to. Also at Wembley for his first England appearance and followed him across the pond. Could I order a signed copy from his "stalker' please!
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 21:34]
Paul Mariner book on 21:28 - Mar 3 with 2961 viewsParamedic

PM was my favourite Town player as a boy, loved him, one of ours and England’s greatest strikers in my opinion. Would definitely be wanting to invest and read that.

AllalallalSunderland

Paul Mariner book on 21:36 - Mar 3 with 2920 viewsLord_Lucan

As a man who saw most of his games for Ipswich including his first and last I can't wait.

Tell him this please when you speak with him next. I was young enough to be on the football pitch at school when everyone wanted to be Paul Mariner, I timed his career at the perfect age as I was old enough to have a drink with him in The Salutation when he came in with a young Terry Butcher just before a Deep Purple concert (Gotta confess I may not have been strictly old enough and it may have been Iron Maiden)

Please also tell him that he was instrumental in my growing up and my overriding memory of him is him attacking corners and putting his elbow in a defenders face.

Edit;

Here's your front cover

Kind regards

LL
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 21:58]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Paul Mariner book on 21:48 - Mar 3 with 2857 viewsBlueyandCrazy

Count me in too.

No 9 for my club and England when growing up.
You’d get a large take up from itfc, one of our all time legends
I understand he’s also seen as one of Plymouth’s all tim greats

Poll: Worst ever ITFC manager

Paul Mariner book on 21:50 - Mar 3 with 2839 viewsnorth_stand77

Yes from me too.

Not only one of my favourite players but coached my sons at Rattlesden football club when they were young. I believe his son was also a team member with them and my boys really enjoyed being taught by him
Paul Mariner book on 21:59 - Mar 3 with 2786 viewsPJH

Interest from me too.

Best wishes to PM.
Paul Mariner book on 22:13 - Mar 3 with 2745 viewsFoD_Blue

As a youngster when I first started watching Ipswich, Paul Mariner was my hero in a team full of players who are now considered to be a legendary team.
Sign me up!
Paul Mariner book on 23:57 - Mar 3 with 2642 viewsChurchman

My favourite ITFC player. I’d buy it and a copy for my dad.
Paul Mariner book on 00:18 - Mar 4 with 2618 viewsdebenhamblue

I would love a copy we signed I'm about a month after I started coming to games with my dad and was a firm favourite
Paul Mariner book on 04:53 - Mar 4 with 2540 viewsacj

I was born in 91, so Paul Mariner (and Town being good) was long before my time, but I grew up hearing a lot about him and that team from my dad. Would love to read it!

Poll: Will Town score again this season?

Paul Mariner book on 06:22 - Mar 4 with 2504 viewsnoggin

Yes please.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Paul Mariner book on 06:48 - Mar 4 with 2490 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Bit of a daft question asking Ipswich supporters if they'd be interested in an autobiography by one of their greatest ever strikers! Of course we would. As others have said, I'm at the right age to have pretended to be Mariner while in the playground with a tennis ball. Put me down for a copy, it's a no-brainer.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Paul Mariner book on 07:07 - Mar 4 with 2471 viewsBad_Boy_Mark

Hi Mark, this is a wonderful idea and I would love to read this book when complete!

What a player! A very young me was gutted when we sold him!

Please pass on our best wishes to Paul and good luck with your project (I'm not at all envious )

All the best
Paul Mariner book on 07:15 - Mar 4 with 2461 viewsVic

Count me in for a couple

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Paul Mariner book on 07:23 - Mar 4 with 2439 viewsMeadowlark

Yes.
Definitely.
Give Paul our best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Make sure Trevor Whymark gets the credit he deserves!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024