Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New stadium 00:02 - Mar 4 with 6018 viewstextbackup

If we are to be taken over, seen a few posts suggesting we might end up leaving Portman road, which I personally don't see happening, but whatever.

anyway got me looking at possible locations that wouldn't completely uproot us, and the best location I see is alderman park, right by the ground.

loads of open space on the outskirts of Ipswich, with direct links to the a12/14, but Alderman park wouldn't require much upheaval

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

New stadium on 00:03 - Mar 4 with 3416 viewswkj

Copdock, naturally. All our new signings end up in the Tesco there so we may as well.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

New stadium on 00:17 - Mar 4 with 3361 viewsTheBoyBlue

I'm guessing near any of the junctions off the A14, but I imagine off Seven Hills (A14/A12) would perhaps also offer scope for a new railway station. However, there is nothing really wrong with the location of Portman Road, with plenty of space, near the railway station, pubs and town centre, which ultimately is best for the town when and if large crowds return.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

New stadium on 00:25 - Mar 4 with 3321 viewscatch74

I wonder if it could be incorporated into a winter sports park?

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

New stadium on 00:35 - Mar 4 with 3293 viewsbournemouthblue

I appreciate there are benefits for being on your own contained site with plenty of space and physically owning it outright along with the parking but Portman Road is a reasonably good location, it's fairly central to Town, fairly near the train station and has a reasonable amount of space and parking around it.

The third way would be a completely new stadium on the site, possibly even turned around, using the space on the practice pitch.

Spurs went for that approach and that's been or will eventually be fairly successful I suspect.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

New stadium on 00:36 - Mar 4 with 3289 viewstextbackup

New stadium on 00:17 - Mar 4 by TheBoyBlue

I'm guessing near any of the junctions off the A14, but I imagine off Seven Hills (A14/A12) would perhaps also offer scope for a new railway station. However, there is nothing really wrong with the location of Portman Road, with plenty of space, near the railway station, pubs and town centre, which ultimately is best for the town when and if large crowds return.

yeah they'd need to factor in how close existing lines were etc too

New stadium on 02:19 - Mar 4 with 3190 viewsIllinoisblue

Suffolk Showground. For that soul-less out of town experience.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

New stadium on 02:53 - Mar 4 with 3163 viewsclive_baker

I can deal with most things as a fan, being sh1t on the pitch, hideous Magical Vegas sponsorship and even an owner we barely hear from, but I would be very anti moving home. The whole fabric of the club is at Portman Road. There’s something so nice about being in that historic ground that’s seen so much, all those memories and famous European nights, the highs of Premier League and European football and the lows of L1 and administration, but through it all we’re still Ipswich Town of Portman Road. The statues that sit outside, reminding us of those successful times there. Rolling off the train and seeing the lights, a few pints in town and strolling down to the ground that sits proudly in the centre of the town.

The thought of us playing in some flat pack, identikit stadium on a brownfield site on the outskirts of town fills me with dread. A huge part of West Ham died the day they moved from Upton Park. Unless we ever outgrow PR I just don’t see any need for it. It’s our home.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

New stadium on 04:42 - Mar 4 with 3058 viewstextbackup

New stadium on 02:53 - Mar 4 by clive_baker

I can deal with most things as a fan, being sh1t on the pitch, hideous Magical Vegas sponsorship and even an owner we barely hear from, but I would be very anti moving home. The whole fabric of the club is at Portman Road. There’s something so nice about being in that historic ground that’s seen so much, all those memories and famous European nights, the highs of Premier League and European football and the lows of L1 and administration, but through it all we’re still Ipswich Town of Portman Road. The statues that sit outside, reminding us of those successful times there. Rolling off the train and seeing the lights, a few pints in town and strolling down to the ground that sits proudly in the centre of the town.

The thought of us playing in some flat pack, identikit stadium on a brownfield site on the outskirts of town fills me with dread. A huge part of West Ham died the day they moved from Upton Park. Unless we ever outgrow PR I just don’t see any need for it. It’s our home.

I know what you mean, but WHU don't seem to be doing too badly right now

Login to get fewer ads

New stadium on 05:08 - Mar 4 with 3041 viewsChurchman

I don’t disagree with that. I love the history of the place and the memories it holds.

But change is inevitable. If the choice is between a historic place no longer fit for purpose or somewhere new, purpose built for the 21st century that accommodates what people want and maximises income streams, so be it.

Rebuild or replace the existing ground or move as a last resort would be my choice. If it had to be the latter, I don’t hear too many tears from Man City, Leicester or Southampton over the loss of their old grounds. Yes the old ones carry lots of great memories and were atmospheric but that isn’t enough. My Sunderland following friend certainly feels that way. As for West Ham, yes, gutting they’ve lost Upton Park and I’m sure they’re fans would rather have kept it and swapped places with us - not!

Just design the replacement properly. One of the things that annoyed me was that neither the old North Stand or Churchmans were redeveloped right. The north should have been done with what the stand should be in mind - a single bank acoustics taken into account. Hard with the houses behind, I know. Churchmans - Well it’s a dogs dinner really with that badly accessed upper tier perched on top.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 5:10]
New stadium on 05:23 - Mar 4 with 3025 viewsHipsterectomy

Any new stadium should only be built where the real Ipswich fans live (IP3 postcode)

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

New stadium on 06:13 - Mar 4 with 2962 viewsBrianTablet

New stadium on 00:03 - Mar 4 by wkj

Copdock, naturally. All our new signings end up in the Tesco there so we may as well.

or Woodbridge, so Pep can walk his dog to the Stadium every day?

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

New stadium on 06:16 - Mar 4 with 2960 viewsdeano85

Same ground.
flatten the stadium, turn 90 degrees, build on current site/unused training pitch....

Not going to happen tho
New stadium on 06:54 - Mar 4 with 2834 viewsFixed_It

New stadium on 06:13 - Mar 4 by BrianTablet

Would need to buy the land off Alan Curbishley.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

New stadium on 07:15 - Mar 4 with 2762 viewsVic

If, and it’s a massive if, something to be done with the stadium there is much to be said for developing the present site. There is plenty of space around it and it would be a logical extension to the whole waterfront development. I think it would be worth the investment and be a huge plus for a whole town that is dying from a thousand cuts.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

New stadium on 07:23 - Mar 4 with 2724 viewsyesjohn99

Build on the Heath at Martlesham.
New stadium on 07:27 - Mar 4 with 2701 viewsMeadowlark

Hope not.
The best grounds (not stadiums!) are in town or city centres, like ours is!
New stadium on 07:30 - Mar 4 with 2684 viewsm14_blue

New stadium on 04:42 - Mar 4 by textbackup

Ask any West Ham fan how they feel about the ground move.
New stadium on 07:31 - Mar 4 with 2682 viewsTangledupin_Blue

New stadium on 04:42 - Mar 4 by textbackup

We should start a campaign to bring the Olympic Games to Ipswich. We'd get a new 60,000 seater stadium without having to pay for it.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

New stadium on 07:46 - Mar 4 with 2621 viewsBrianTablet

New stadium on 06:54 - Mar 4 by Fixed_It

Would need to buy the land off Alan Curbishley.

Curbs has probably been our best manager over the past ten years.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

New stadium on 07:58 - Mar 4 with 2559 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

New stadium on 00:03 - Mar 4 by wkj

Do we actually need a hospital?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

New stadium on 08:00 - Mar 4 with 2545 viewswkj

New stadium on 07:58 - Mar 4 by BanksterDebtSlave

Do we actually need a hospital?

Very much so given our track record of managing fitness.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

New stadium on 08:11 - Mar 4 with 2501 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

New stadium on 08:00 - Mar 4 by wkj

Very much so given our track record of managing fitness.

But they only get distracted by their wives.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

New stadium on 08:17 - Mar 4 with 2476 viewsWeWereZombies

New stadium on 06:13 - Mar 4 by BrianTablet

Will also be an easier commute for Coppinger after he has dropped his wife off at the hospital...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

New stadium on 08:19 - Mar 4 with 2480 viewsGuthrum

Traditionally, they'd have to put it in some really soulless, sterile and maze-like industrial estate or business park. If, that is, they couldn't find a full-on, bleak wasteland surrounded by the foundations of demolished factories.

Plus the closest pub would need to be an identikit Harvester, not laid out for serving drinkers across its three-foot-long bar, with only bland beer and microwaved food on offer.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

New stadium on 08:22 - Mar 4 with 2450 viewsN2_Blue

Totally agree.

Our (successful) history is becoming more and more of a distant memory and in the last 10 years the only thing that makes me still proud to support this club is that history.

Move from Portman Road and we are effectively disconnected from that history even further.

I don't mind Portman road being redeveloped, or even a completely new stadium (if we have to) but it must be on the Portman Road site. It is the club...ITFC in some out of Town retail park would be a disaster imo in view of current support and it's not like we are going to attract much new support for some time yet with the state of the club and its recent performance.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024