Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? 11:51 - Mar 4 with 2523 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

Apologies if already discussed but potentially the Evans statement was put out purely for Cook to refer to if anyone asks about ownership in his first press conference.

Without the ability for Cook to say "I don't know anything other than Marcus said yesterday" then it may have been awkward for him to answer

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 11:53 - Mar 4 with 2104 viewsFixed_It

It would make sense from that point of view. Without the statement I am sure he would have had questions about it. He still might - but he has a shield to hide behind now.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 11:54]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 11:54 - Mar 4 with 2075 viewsitfcjoe

Think that is definitely the case to some extent for todays presser

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 11:56 - Mar 4 with 2046 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Yep, said the same. It would be hard for Cook to comment on something if the owner hadn't come out and publicly say what he did, everyone would be picking apart every detail Cook said if he didn't just refer people to Evans words.

Just trying to control the narrative really.
Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 11:58 - Mar 4 with 2031 viewsArnieM

For me personally , I'm accepting that this supposed take over is dead in the water. To say I'm gutted is an understatement , because it means we still have Evans as owner, and thereby an ongoing self destruct mode persisting at this Club.

Nothing will happen under his tenure. Cook , despite his record , will quite likely go the same way of the rest of them, because Evans will simply not invest to the degree required . The manager, any manager is expected to work with both arms and legs tied behind their back . It will fail.

RIP Ipswich under Marcus Evans .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 12:00 - Mar 4 with 1979 viewspointofblue

Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 11:58 - Mar 4 by ArnieM

For me personally , I'm accepting that this supposed take over is dead in the water. To say I'm gutted is an understatement , because it means we still have Evans as owner, and thereby an ongoing self destruct mode persisting at this Club.

Nothing will happen under his tenure. Cook , despite his record , will quite likely go the same way of the rest of them, because Evans will simply not invest to the degree required . The manager, any manager is expected to work with both arms and legs tied behind their back . It will fail.

It’s still looking likely.
The takeover by Gamechanger 20 Ltd - The training ground land by Muncher 2 Mar 2021 23:56
I’ve been doing a bit of digging at HM Land Registry today and what I have seen backs up what Phil has previously mentioned and leads me to believe the takeover is well underway and likely just waiting EFL approval.

The Playford Road site (2 parcels of land) is the subject of a priority search in respect of an intended purchase by Gamechanger 20 Ltd which was lodged on 23 February by law firm Gateley PLC out of their Birmingham office (first instruction by that client).The Bent Lane site is subject to a similar priority search in respect of part of the site only, meaning the Evans group company is retaining part of it.

A priority search is carried out by solicitors to preserve their place in the queue of potential applications for dealing, it confers a priority period of about 45 days. It is a matter of public record and available to view by professionals who have the requisite portal account. It is typically only done in the immediate anticipation of completing a transaction, it can be done slightly ahead of this, but usually is done on the day of exchange of contracts. I’m a commercial property solicitor so carry out these searches on a regular basis. My best guess (based on the timing of the search) is Evans likely entered into a conditional contract last Tuesday for the sale of the land (and club). You would not carry out such a search unless a deal including the detail had either been agreed or was extremely close. The reason such searches are not carried out lightly is because it prevents the proprietor from entering into other transactions while the priority is lodged. If a deal is not happening you should cancel the search, but all 3 remain in place.

There is no corresponding priority search in respect of the stadium lease and I would not expect there to be as the lease is owned by the club as tenant and I would expect Gamechanger 20 Ltd is acquiring the existing share capital owned by Evans.

I am happy to share screenshots if anyone would like to see, but the searches are in relation to the Playford Road site (title number SK219236 & SK203140) and the bent lane site (SK200320) they appear under the “application enquiry” tab.

EDIT:

I have now have a placed a brief article on my firm's website here discussing it:

https://prettys.co.uk/news/takeover-ipswich-town-football-club-could-be-progress-says-suffolk-solicitor

https://twitter.com/Prettys_Law/status/1368904355848552448

Ignore the statement - we had O’Neill saying we weren’t in a rush to appoint a new manager; 24 hours later Cook was confirmed.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 12:00 - Mar 4 with 1958 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Keep the faith :)
Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 12:03 - Mar 4 with 1919 viewsSuperfrans

It could well be.

Hopefully, Cook was involved in advising ME to do it too. We do need a manager with the balls to stand up to ME when necessary. McCarthy bizarrely didn't do it nearly enough, I think Lambert is the only manager of recent times who did.

I know we have new owners incoming, but we really don't know how long that will take. In the meantime we have to live with ME.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 12:04 - Mar 4 with 1900 viewsSomethingBlue

It could, yes, to a significant degree.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 12:04]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Login to get fewer ads

Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 12:05 - Mar 4 with 1876 viewschrismakin

Are the club that forward thinking though.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 12:06 - Mar 4 with 1866 viewspointofblue

Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 12:05 - Mar 4 by chrismakin

Are the club that forward thinking though.

Maybe Cook asked for some assistance on that score?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 12:09 - Mar 4 with 1830 viewsOsborneOneNil

Chin up, Arnie. It's all ok.......
Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 12:28 - Mar 4 with 1692 viewsArnieM

Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 12:09 - Mar 4 by OsborneOneNil

Chin up, Arnie. It's all ok.......

lol , sorry guys. Feeling really fed up with it all now . Perhaps its because I , like you all , really want this thing to happen. I'm no business guru and at an age where it all becomes too much really, But hey ho , I still be there in SBR next season whatever happens … I'm a mug you see!! ...COYB's

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 12:30 - Mar 4 with 1647 viewshype313

Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 12:28 - Mar 4 by ArnieM

lol , sorry guys. Feeling really fed up with it all now . Perhaps its because I , like you all , really want this thing to happen. I'm no business guru and at an age where it all becomes too much really, But hey ho , I still be there in SBR next season whatever happens … I'm a mug you see!! ...COYB's

It will be all good Arnie, It's all still happening behind the scenes, and if Osborne says don't worry, then I'm content.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 12:34 - Mar 4 with 1598 viewsEatonBlue

Or it could be to deflect attention away from a takeover whilst Paul Cook tries to get us promoted. If there is a takeover planned, it would make sense for it to be deferred until after the end of the season, as the consortium will then know which league we are in and have a clearer idea regarding Covid and season ticket sales. These factors would affect the valuation of the Club.
Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 12:35 - Mar 4 with 1585 viewshype313

Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 12:34 - Mar 4 by EatonBlue

Or it could be to deflect attention away from a takeover whilst Paul Cook tries to get us promoted. If there is a takeover planned, it would make sense for it to be deferred until after the end of the season, as the consortium will then know which league we are in and have a clearer idea regarding Covid and season ticket sales. These factors would affect the valuation of the Club.

That's not the case at all, the whole purpose of this takeover is down to the fact that we are in League One, otherwise I doubt we'd be as sought after if we were in the Championship.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 12:44 - Mar 4 with 1508 viewsGuthrum

Or Cook could simply have said: "That's not my department, concentrating on what happens on the pitch."

Even if the takeover is occurring, Cook may not know anything about it.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 12:50 - Mar 4 with 1464 viewsJ_1TFC

I would suspect that the press will be briefed and told that no questions to be asked about the takeover, but agree with your point, i was actually thinking yesterday that this presser may be a bit tricky for Paul Cook when it comes to the takeover questions.......
Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 12:53 - Mar 4 with 1442 viewsmonty_radio

Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 11:56 - Mar 4 by abracaDOBRA_

Yep, said the same. It would be hard for Cook to comment on something if the owner hadn't come out and publicly say what he did, everyone would be picking apart every detail Cook said if he didn't just refer people to Evans words.

Just trying to control the narrative really.

"Just trying to control the narrative really."

Every one of the lengthy club statements has that in view. Being more involved on the ground would have meant that they didn't arrive there after the bus had long left.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 13:05 - Mar 4 with 1360 viewsportmanking

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2021/march/paul-cook-on-working-with-marcus-evans/

Bingo. "Dunno, ask Marcus". Nicely deflected last night.
Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 13:05 - Mar 4 with 1363 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

Turns out this was correct!

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 13:17 - Mar 4 with 1278 viewsGuthrum

Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 13:05 - Mar 4 by OhDavidMcgoldrick

Turns out this was correct!

But why did he need a statement from Evans to say that?

I'm not convinced the Cook signing had anything to do with a possible sale of the club. There were plenty of reasons to ditch Lambert already - lack of success, falling out with the press, ranting about the owner in public, exiling expensive players to the U23s, perhaps (as Evans seemd to imply) a disagreement over the club's financial poicy. Our new manager was a pretty obvious choice for the role and one we'd allegedly been talking to for some time already. Classic Evans lining up the replacement before sacking.

Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 13:21 - Mar 4 with 1235 viewsitfcjoe

Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 13:17 - Mar 4 by Guthrum

I'm not convinced the Cook signing had anything to do with a possible sale of the club. There were plenty of reasons to ditch Lambert already - lack of success, falling out with the press, ranting about the owner in public, exiling expensive players to the U23s, perhaps (as Evans seemd to imply) a disagreement over the club's financial poicy. Our new manager was a pretty obvious choice for the role and one we'd allegedly been talking to for some time already. Classic Evans lining up the replacement before sacking.

Guess they wnat to swot away questions which in reality are along lines of - have you spoken to new owners (which he will have), have they guaranteed your job (which he will have), and what do you know about it (which will be a lot)

Cook has been appointed by both Evans and the new guys, presumably he was both their first choice

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 13:25 - Mar 4 with 1213 viewstractorboy1978

Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 13:17 - Mar 4 by Guthrum

If you were Cook though, you would want to know exactly what the situation is. He said himself "I wouldn’t have taken the job if I had any concerns" and he spoke at length on the NTT20 podcast about the importance of strong relationships with those you are working for. Before deciding to come here he will have wanted to know who he is working with, what the structure is etc. He will have wanted to speak to the prospective Chief Exec/DOF.
Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 13:30 - Mar 4 with 1181 viewsGuthrum

Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 13:25 - Mar 4 by tractorboy1978

If you were Cook though, you would want to know exactly what the situation is. He said himself "I wouldn’t have taken the job if I had any concerns" and he spoke at length on the NTT20 podcast about the importance of strong relationships with those you are working for. Before deciding to come here he will have wanted to know who he is working with, what the structure is etc. He will have wanted to speak to the prospective Chief Exec/DOF.

Or he will have spoken to Evans and been happy with what he heard and with the current set-up (much like McCarthy was).

Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 13:32 - Mar 4 with 1169 viewstractorboy1978

Could the Evans statement have been to protect Cook? on 13:21 - Mar 4 by itfcjoe

Guess they wnat to swot away questions which in reality are along lines of - have you spoken to new owners (which he will have), have they guaranteed your job (which he will have), and what do you know about it (which will be a lot)

Cook has been appointed by both Evans and the new guys, presumably he was both their first choice

Watched the BM pod with Mikey this morning and the Wigan fan on there was spot on when he said we should be excited that PC has decided to come here - he's in a position whereby he's been able to be picky with the next job he takes. Turned down at least 2 Championship clubs. He's been very careful about his next step. This job obviously gets his juices flowing after speaking with Evans/new owners/potential executives being brought in here.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024