Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May 09:59 - Mar 5 with 5168 viewspointofblue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56289054

This may sound really selfish but here goes... the younger generation have been told to stay at home, having their employment statuses affected in the process, mainly to protect the elderly and vulnerable - quite rightly. Now they still have to stay at home whilst the elderly and vulnerable can travel on holiday.

This is why, IMO, vaccine passports should not be implemented until everyone has has the chance to have, depending on the research, one or two shots. Otherwise the younger generation - those at least risk from Covid-19, will just be dumped on again. How are they going to be happy to comply with stay at home whilst those who the rules have, again quite rightly, been protecting are allowed to regain a semblance of normality?

It’s just going to cause further generational tension.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 10:05 - Mar 5 with 2597 viewsStokieBlue

The first sentence of the article:

"Cyprus has said it will open its borders to vaccinated Britons from the start of May - but UK government travel restrictions will still be in force."

It's Cyprus saying this, not the UK government and in fact further into the article it says it's at least 2 weeks before any possible lifting of travel restrictions. We are hoping to have most vaccinated by June I believe (not sure this will happen) but given the studies of the P1 variant which can still infect up to 61% of people who have antibodies to the original strains it still might not be a great idea to be opening up for travel as soon as is immediately possible.

I don't think there is going to be a scenario where only the elderly are going to be allowed to travel. They will wait until everyone has been offered a vaccination and then possibly issue vaccine travel passports. In that case it's the individuals choice to not have it and not travel.

As you say, if there is a case where only those who were vaccinated first can travel then that is going to cause issues for the government.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 10:11 - Mar 5 with 2569 viewspointofblue

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 10:05 - Mar 5 by StokieBlue

The first sentence of the article:

"Cyprus has said it will open its borders to vaccinated Britons from the start of May - but UK government travel restrictions will still be in force."

It's Cyprus saying this, not the UK government and in fact further into the article it says it's at least 2 weeks before any possible lifting of travel restrictions. We are hoping to have most vaccinated by June I believe (not sure this will happen) but given the studies of the P1 variant which can still infect up to 61% of people who have antibodies to the original strains it still might not be a great idea to be opening up for travel as soon as is immediately possible.

I don't think there is going to be a scenario where only the elderly are going to be allowed to travel. They will wait until everyone has been offered a vaccination and then possibly issue vaccine travel passports. In that case it's the individuals choice to not have it and not travel.

As you say, if there is a case where only those who were vaccinated first can travel then that is going to cause issues for the government.

SB

Though it could occur from 17th May, depending upon whether the U.K. lifts travel restrictions or not. Think they’re still hopefully for everyone to have the first jab by the end of July?

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 10:14 - Mar 5 with 2556 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Having my first jab tomorrow. 2:15 at Gainsborough Sports Centre. Then straight home for the match.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 10:29 - Mar 5 with 2497 viewsStokieBlue

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 10:14 - Mar 5 by Tangledupin_Blue

Having my first jab tomorrow. 2:15 at Gainsborough Sports Centre. Then straight home for the match.

You'll have missed the match.

SB

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 10:35 - Mar 5 with 2462 viewsSwansea_Blue

Don't worry POB. You can be smug knowing you don't have to get up throughout the night to pee and can remember what you had for lunch yesterday. Swings and roundabouts innit.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 10:36 - Mar 5 with 2458 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 10:29 - Mar 5 by StokieBlue

SB

Nah. ..

Should definitely be home by 3 o'clock.

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 10:37 - Mar 5 with 2451 viewspointofblue

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 10:35 - Mar 5 by Swansea_Blue

Don't worry POB. You can be smug knowing you don't have to get up throughout the night to pee and can remember what you had for lunch yesterday. Swings and roundabouts innit.

*Desperately tries to remember what I had for lunch yesterday*

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 10:39 - Mar 5 with 2432 viewsElderGrizzly

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 10:11 - Mar 5 by pointofblue

Though it could occur from 17th May, depending upon whether the U.K. lifts travel restrictions or not. Think they’re still hopefully for everyone to have the first jab by the end of July?

As someone whose team is involved in discussions every day with Govts, this Cyprus ruling is a great headline, but the devil is in the detail.

You will need to have had both doses to qualify. That will mean by this date only the top 4 most vulnerable groups will likely be covered.

Most in the UK won't have 2 doses until October.

Oh and the UK is going to require a negative test before you return.
Login to get fewer ads

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 10:46 - Mar 5 with 2395 viewsSitfcB

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 10:29 - Mar 5 by StokieBlue

SB

It won’t take him that long to get home?

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 11:06 - Mar 5 with 2354 viewsUB9Blue

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 10:36 - Mar 5 by Tangledupin_Blue

Nah. ..

Should definitely be home by 3 o'clock.

1 o'clock kick off I believe
Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 11:16 - Mar 5 with 2323 viewsBrianTablet

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 10:37 - Mar 5 by pointofblue

*Desperately tries to remember what I had for lunch yesterday*

Feta and olives, you daft ha'peth.
Don't you remember, you live in Nicosia?

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 11:22 - Mar 5 with 2300 viewsFixed_It

SB

Someone has got to. Oh well - looks like it'll have to be me...

'Whhhooosshhh'

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 12:03 - Mar 5 with 2244 viewsitfcjoe

It is, yet another, stitch up for the youth of this country.

If the summer is here and vaccine passports become a thing and the elderly get to travel all summer whilst no one else allowed it is grossly unfair.

I have my jab tomorrow, not sure my wife will be happy if I swan off to cyprus....!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 12:08 - Mar 5 with 2224 viewspointofblue

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 12:03 - Mar 5 by itfcjoe

If the summer is here and vaccine passports become a thing and the elderly get to travel all summer whilst no one else allowed it is grossly unfair.

I have my jab tomorrow, not sure my wife will be happy if I swan off to cyprus....!

That’s why they shouldn’t be even thinking of making vaccination passports a thing until everyone’s had the chance to have them. And even then they need to consider the impact on those who cannot have the vaccines for medical reasons.

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 12:24 - Mar 5 with 2183 viewsStokieBlue

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 12:08 - Mar 5 by pointofblue

That’s why they shouldn’t be even thinking of making vaccination passports a thing until everyone’s had the chance to have them. And even then they need to consider the impact on those who cannot have the vaccines for medical reasons.

They have said that people who have a medical reason for not having the vaccine will be exempt.

I'm not sure what you're proposing here?

Allowing everyone to just go on holiday without one or not allowing foreign holidays until everyone has had 2 shots and can get one?

SB

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 12:35 - Mar 5 with 2169 viewspointofblue

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 12:24 - Mar 5 by StokieBlue

They have said that people who have a medical reason for not having the vaccine will be exempt.

I'm not sure what you're proposing here?

Allowing everyone to just go on holiday without one or not allowing foreign holidays until everyone has had 2 shots and can get one?

SB

Not allowing foreign holidays until everyone's been vaccinated adequately.

As itfcjoe has said, the younger generation have sacrificed a lot, and rightly so, because of the pandemic but it's the ulitmate generation split if those vaccinated are allowed their freedoms back whilst those at the back of the queue have to continue living in lockdown.

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 12:45 - Mar 5 with 2148 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 12:35 - Mar 5 by pointofblue

As itfcjoe has said, the younger generation have sacrificed a lot, and rightly so, because of the pandemic but it's the ulitmate generation split if those vaccinated are allowed their freedoms back whilst those at the back of the queue have to continue living in lockdown.

It would make greater sense for those who've been inoculated to take holidays as soon as they are able.

Firstly as a much needed shot in the arm (!) for the holiday industry.

And secondly... By the time the younger age groups have had their jabs others will already have taken their holidays so there will be more packages available for them.

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 12:51 - Mar 5 with 2129 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 12:03 - Mar 5 by itfcjoe

I am also booked in for jab tomorrow.

The lady I share a house with would be delighted if I swanned off... Anywhere!

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 12:52 - Mar 5 with 2122 viewspointofblue

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 12:45 - Mar 5 by Tangledupin_Blue

It would make greater sense for those who've been inoculated to take holidays as soon as they are able.

Firstly as a much needed shot in the arm (!) for the holiday industry.

And secondly... By the time the younger age groups have had their jabs others will already have taken their holidays so there will be more packages available for them.

The older generation/vulnerable can have their freedoms across the summer; the younger generation will just have to suck it up wait until possibly December (if the booster has the same grace period as the first innoculation).

This isn't just about holidays of course; rumours are the vaccination passport will be for everything.

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 12:58 - Mar 5 with 2094 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 12:52 - Mar 5 by pointofblue

The older generation/vulnerable can have their freedoms across the summer; the younger generation will just have to suck it up wait until possibly December (if the booster has the same grace period as the first innoculation).

This isn't just about holidays of course; rumours are the vaccination passport will be for everything.

For clarity my post is specifically about whether people should be able/allowed to book holidays in places where they would allowed to take them.

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 13:07 - Mar 5 with 2072 viewsPassionNotAnger

What an unbelievably selfish and sad attitude. You want some of our elderly generation to miss out on a potential holiday this year (probably pre-school holidays) just so it doesn't annoy those who have yet to have he vaccine?

Just think on that - predominantly those who may be able to go statistically and practically will have less opportunity to travel in future years than those with many more years ahead. They have also sacrificed a lot in this pandemic and lived with greater fear that the rest as getting the virus would be more likely to have serious consequences for them than for you younger fit adults.

I doubt anyone will read my view and change their mind and will continue to think "it's not fair" as it's them who may "miss out" rather than perhaps considering it wouldn't be fair for those who unnecessarily need to miss out on a holiday, or those in the tourist industry of the destination countries would be unnecessarily denied an income.

Strangely a lot of people moaning probably also those who are dismayed a why so many selfish people are voting for the Conservatives

I guess this will earn me a lot of downvotes....
Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 13:26 - Mar 5 with 2037 viewsStokieBlue

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 12:35 - Mar 5 by pointofblue

OK - I would have no problem with that..

SB

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 13:33 - Mar 5 with 2011 viewsArnoldMoorhen

I've got a solution:

1. Send all the oldies to Cyprus for the month of May. Tell them it's in the terms and conditions of their National Service de-mob papers, and that the whole Royal Family thinks it's a good idea apart from Harry and Meghan. They'll lap that up.

2. As soon as the last Saga Airlines flight to Larnaca leaves the tarmac, re-open all the pubs, clubs and restaurants for the rest of us.

Everybody happy!
Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 14:21 - Mar 5 with 1930 viewsfactual_blue

It'll keep those dreadful oiks from going over and infesting the place with their timeshare touting.

We were there one Christmas, walking along the front at Paphos on Boxing Day. We crossed the road to avoid the gaggle of touts. 'No need for that, you loser', shouted one at me. I pointed out that trying to sell timeshares stood on a street corner on Boxing Day almost certainly made him the loser.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 14:21 - Mar 5 with 1930 viewspointofblue

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 13:07 - Mar 5 by PassionNotAnger

What an unbelievably selfish and sad attitude. You want some of our elderly generation to miss out on a potential holiday this year (probably pre-school holidays) just so it doesn't annoy those who have yet to have he vaccine?

Just think on that - predominantly those who may be able to go statistically and practically will have less opportunity to travel in future years than those with many more years ahead. They have also sacrificed a lot in this pandemic and lived with greater fear that the rest as getting the virus would be more likely to have serious consequences for them than for you younger fit adults.

I doubt anyone will read my view and change their mind and will continue to think "it's not fair" as it's them who may "miss out" rather than perhaps considering it wouldn't be fair for those who unnecessarily need to miss out on a holiday, or those in the tourist industry of the destination countries would be unnecessarily denied an income.

Strangely a lot of people moaning probably also those who are dismayed a why so many selfish people are voting for the Conservatives

I guess this will earn me a lot of downvotes....

It's not about annoyance. To put it bluntly the younger generation has suffered through this pandemic in terms of job losses and a cut of their social life when the majority would not have suffered from Covid more than maybe a few days in bed. We were told "we're all in this together", quite rightly, to protect the older generation and the NHS - the brackets were seemingly missed which says "until we're not".

Perhaps it is selfish, maybe I'll calm down and see the other side which you have reasonably and understandably put down, but at the moment I'll freely admit I'm very much blind in one eye. Perhaps this is aided when it comes to feeling my generation is taking the flak when it comes to stuff like pensions as well, having to work 10+ additional years to make up for the deficit. Anger lashes out in different ways, and this just seems to be another raspberry, for what of better phrase.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024