Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May 09:59 - Mar 5 with 5170 viewspointofblue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56289054

This may sound really selfish but here goes... the younger generation have been told to stay at home, having their employment statuses affected in the process, mainly to protect the elderly and vulnerable - quite rightly. Now they still have to stay at home whilst the elderly and vulnerable can travel on holiday.

This is why, IMO, vaccine passports should not be implemented until everyone has has the chance to have, depending on the research, one or two shots. Otherwise the younger generation - those at least risk from Covid-19, will just be dumped on again. How are they going to be happy to comply with stay at home whilst those who the rules have, again quite rightly, been protecting are allowed to regain a semblance of normality?

It’s just going to cause further generational tension.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 14:26 - Mar 5 with 1947 viewsbluelagos

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 10:39 - Mar 5 by ElderGrizzly

As someone whose team is involved in discussions every day with Govts, this Cyprus ruling is a great headline, but the devil is in the detail.

You will need to have had both doses to qualify. That will mean by this date only the top 4 most vulnerable groups will likely be covered.

Most in the UK won't have 2 doses until October.

Oh and the UK is going to require a negative test before you return.

Ayai Napa's going to be bouncing then.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 14:39 - Mar 5 with 1931 viewsPassionNotAnger

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 14:21 - Mar 5 by pointofblue

It's not about annoyance. To put it bluntly the younger generation has suffered through this pandemic in terms of job losses and a cut of their social life when the majority would not have suffered from Covid more than maybe a few days in bed. We were told "we're all in this together", quite rightly, to protect the older generation and the NHS - the brackets were seemingly missed which says "until we're not".

Perhaps it is selfish, maybe I'll calm down and see the other side which you have reasonably and understandably put down, but at the moment I'll freely admit I'm very much blind in one eye. Perhaps this is aided when it comes to feeling my generation is taking the flak when it comes to stuff like pensions as well, having to work 10+ additional years to make up for the deficit. Anger lashes out in different ways, and this just seems to be another raspberry, for what of better phrase.

I just find it such a shame that anyone would try to say a certain group suffered more or less from this situation to be honest as its most unhelpful and beyond the control of the vast majority of the population, but regardless the general premise that nobody can have a holiday until everyone can have go is bonkers.

Kids have suffered from lack of education and social interaction
Uni population has missed out on social element of Uni attendance
Single people have missed out on dating opportunities
Some people have lost jobs
Some people have saved a fortune by not going out/commuting
Some people have been able to move home more affordably because of stamp-duty holidays
Some people have wasted a year of life not being able to see their families
Some people have lost loved ones

This pandemic has been horrific on almost every level with very few upsides for most, yet there is an opportunity (which doesn't somehow restrict/reduce the availability for others later on) for some people to have a week in the sun safely but you, and others, want to deny them that for no reason other than spite?

There are many inequalities and differences in life unfortunately - would you say it's more or less unfair that those made redundant because of COVID can't go an holiday but those who were lucky enough to keep their jobs can afford to go away? Should nobody go away until everyone can afford it?
Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 14:39 - Mar 5 with 1930 viewsElderGrizzly

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 12:03 - Mar 5 by itfcjoe

It is, yet another, stitch up for the youth of this country.

If the summer is here and vaccine passports become a thing and the elderly get to travel all summer whilst no one else allowed it is grossly unfair.

I have my jab tomorrow, not sure my wife will be happy if I swan off to cyprus....!

No-one will be going on foreign holidays on May 17th. Government ministers are already saying enough warnings on it to say it will be too early.

Likely to announce that on April 7th, ahead of the April 12th deadline they set themselves.

But early versions of vaccine passports will be here, probably by the end of April/early May. Contracts already awarded.
Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 14:44 - Mar 5 with 1910 viewspointofblue

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 14:39 - Mar 5 by PassionNotAnger

I just find it such a shame that anyone would try to say a certain group suffered more or less from this situation to be honest as its most unhelpful and beyond the control of the vast majority of the population, but regardless the general premise that nobody can have a holiday until everyone can have go is bonkers.

Some people have been able to move home more affordably because of stamp-duty holidays

This pandemic has been horrific on almost every level with very few upsides for most, yet there is an opportunity (which doesn't somehow restrict/reduce the availability for others later on) for some people to have a week in the sun safely but you, and others, want to deny them that for no reason other than spite?

There are many inequalities and differences in life unfortunately - would you say it's more or less unfair that those made redundant because of COVID can't go an holiday but those who were lucky enough to keep their jobs can afford to go away? Should nobody go away until everyone can afford it?

I guess it isn't just the holiday's issue. Isn't the passport theory that it could be opened up to hospitality as well?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 14:46 - Mar 5 with 1906 viewsbluelagos

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 14:39 - Mar 5 by ElderGrizzly

No-one will be going on foreign holidays on May 17th. Government ministers are already saying enough warnings on it to say it will be too early.

Likely to announce that on April 7th, ahead of the April 12th deadline they set themselves.

But early versions of vaccine passports will be here, probably by the end of April/early May. Contracts already awarded.

But we have a current clamouring from some for the use of green passports for far more than travel. E.g. For entry into pubs/restuarants/cinemas/gigs/festivals etc.

Which begs the question are we seriously contemplating young people, on account of them not having been vaccinated yet, will be barred from entry to pubs/gigs/festivals etc. this summer?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 14:52 - Mar 5 with 1899 viewsPassionNotAnger

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 14:44 - Mar 5 by pointofblue

I guess it isn't just the holiday's issue. Isn't the passport theory that it could be opened up to hospitality as well?

I hadn't seen that, but I could see that being far more frustrating to be honest, (and economically more damaging for businesses too as would significantly slow their return to some sense of "normality") BUT that should surely only apply if it's deemed medically /scientifically appropriate for the UK population by the UK government (god help us)

That said (and personally I would also find it a little annoying) but if it's a choice of the pubs can open but only for those who've had vaccine or they have to stay closed until everyone has been offered it then I still think, on balance, it would be overall better for the country to do that purely so some jobs can be safeguarded and we get the economy moving.

Slightly off tangent but I'm not sure how that could be enforced longer term as if someone choses not to get vaccinated (and it's not compulsory) for how long can a government tell them they can't go in certain places because they haven't taken a drug that they aren't legally obligated to have?
Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 14:58 - Mar 5 with 1886 viewsStokieBlue

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 14:52 - Mar 5 by PassionNotAnger

I hadn't seen that, but I could see that being far more frustrating to be honest, (and economically more damaging for businesses too as would significantly slow their return to some sense of "normality") BUT that should surely only apply if it's deemed medically /scientifically appropriate for the UK population by the UK government (god help us)

That said (and personally I would also find it a little annoying) but if it's a choice of the pubs can open but only for those who've had vaccine or they have to stay closed until everyone has been offered it then I still think, on balance, it would be overall better for the country to do that purely so some jobs can be safeguarded and we get the economy moving.

Slightly off tangent but I'm not sure how that could be enforced longer term as if someone choses not to get vaccinated (and it's not compulsory) for how long can a government tell them they can't go in certain places because they haven't taken a drug that they aren't legally obligated to have?

For your last paragraph they can enforce it for however long they like if it's made law.

Now I'm not saying that will happen but if it's law to require X to enter Y but it's not law to have X then that doesn't negate the legal requirement to have X to enter Y. They are two different things.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 15:10 - Mar 5 with 1872 viewsPassionNotAnger

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 14:58 - Mar 5 by StokieBlue

For your last paragraph they can enforce it for however long they like if it's made law.

Now I'm not saying that will happen but if it's law to require X to enter Y but it's not law to have X then that doesn't negate the legal requirement to have X to enter Y. They are two different things.

SB

Forgive me, I understand entirely how from a process point of view the government could seek to introduce a new law to make having some form of COVID "certificate" (it could be proof of vaccine or negative test with "x" period) but practically drafting that law to stipulate which venues that would apply to, under what circumstances/period etc is one thing (and not actually that simple) it would still need parliamentary approval (the group formally known as the ERG would likely to be against it for a start) and then implemented and enforced - Just can't see it happening for a number of reasons.
Login to get fewer ads

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 15:53 - Mar 5 with 1848 views26_Paz

Completely agree with the OP. Vaccine passports are a great idea but not until everyone has been offered the vaccine otherwise you create a two tiered society. The elderly and infirm are free to fill their boots whereas the young who have sacrificed a lot for group A are still restricted. Doesn’t work for me.

The Paz Man

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 15:55 - Mar 5 with 1846 viewsElderGrizzly

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 14:46 - Mar 5 by bluelagos

But we have a current clamouring from some for the use of green passports for far more than travel. E.g. For entry into pubs/restuarants/cinemas/gigs/festivals etc.

Which begs the question are we seriously contemplating young people, on account of them not having been vaccinated yet, will be barred from entry to pubs/gigs/festivals etc. this summer?

No, to your last point.

But the 'passports' being developed will also contain Covid test results. It will be likely you will need a negative result or vaccine to access certain places this year.
Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 16:06 - Mar 5 with 1838 viewsPassionNotAnger

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 15:53 - Mar 5 by 26_Paz

Completely agree with the OP. Vaccine passports are a great idea but not until everyone has been offered the vaccine otherwise you create a two tiered society. The elderly and infirm are free to fill their boots whereas the young who have sacrificed a lot for group A are still restricted. Doesn’t work for me.

Wow, I’m really surprised that you are in that camp, total shock!
Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 16:47 - Mar 5 with 1817 viewschicoazul

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 15:53 - Mar 5 by 26_Paz

Vaccine passports are a truly terrible idea. They are racist classist and moronic. Many of the people who don’t want or aren’t having the vaccine are the same people you were stood on your doorstep clapping a few months back.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 17:14 - Mar 5 with 1805 views26_Paz

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 16:47 - Mar 5 by chicoazul

Vaccine passports are a truly terrible idea. They are racist classist and moronic. Many of the people who don’t want or aren’t having the vaccine are the same people you were stood on your doorstep clapping a few months back.

Firstly, I never did the whole clap thing.
I think they’re a good idea once it’s a choice. Get the vaccine and do stuff and don’t get the vaccine if you don’t want but recognise that choice has consequences. This is only possibly if and when it’s universally available though.
Saying it’s racist and classist is just ridiculous. Everyone will have exactly the same choice.

The Paz Man

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 18:51 - Mar 5 with 1769 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

You can wait. You had a holiday last year. Us oldies can go first

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 18:53 - Mar 5 with 1766 views26_Paz

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 18:51 - Mar 5 by StochesStotasBlewe

You can wait. You had a holiday last year. Us oldies can go first

I’ll be going again this year, that’s for sure

The Paz Man

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 18:58 - Mar 5 with 1759 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 14:26 - Mar 5 by bluelagos

Ayai Napa's going to be bouncing then.

The tea rooms of Ayai Napa are wonderful and serve sandwiches with the crusts cut off just like my Aunt Dolly used to make.
Ballroom dancing in the afternoon , high tea just after 5 pm and nicely tucked up in bed by 9.
Count me in.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 19:58 - Mar 5 with 1744 viewschicoazul

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 17:14 - Mar 5 by 26_Paz

Firstly, I never did the whole clap thing.
I think they’re a good idea once it’s a choice. Get the vaccine and do stuff and don’t get the vaccine if you don’t want but recognise that choice has consequences. This is only possibly if and when it’s universally available though.
Saying it’s racist and classist is just ridiculous. Everyone will have exactly the same choice.

It’s not a choice for some people like for eg pregnant women, some asthmatics are also being told not to have one. It’s the stupidest idea of the last year of various stupid ideas so needless to say it is very popular on here.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 20:07 - Mar 5 with 1740 viewsStokieBlue

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 19:58 - Mar 5 by chicoazul

It’s not a choice for some people like for eg pregnant women, some asthmatics are also being told not to have one. It’s the stupidest idea of the last year of various stupid ideas so needless to say it is very popular on here.

Without discussing the merits or drawbacks of any vaccine passport system it's clearly been stated that medical exemptions will be made.

Medical exemptions aren't going to be an issue given it's a low number, however if you have 100 people indoors and mixing and half of them haven't been vaccinated then it could very well cause some issues.

What would be your solution to prevent any issues that could occur with the above scenario?

In some good news, the AZ vaccine seems to work against the P1 Brazilian variant which does increase some of the options with regards to opening up without any such system.

SB
[Post edited 5 Mar 2021 20:10]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 20:20 - Mar 5 with 1733 views26_Paz

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 19:58 - Mar 5 by chicoazul

As Stokie said obviously some people will be exempt. I think it’s a question of if rather than when these come in. The timing needs to be right so as not to exclude people.

The Paz Man

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 20:30 - Mar 5 with 1725 viewsJ2BLUE

According to a poll most over 80s who have had both doses are breaking lockdown rules.

I can see why the youngsters of the country are pissed off.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 20:58 - Mar 5 with 1719 viewsronnyd

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 14:21 - Mar 5 by factual_blue

It'll keep those dreadful oiks from going over and infesting the place with their timeshare touting.

We were there one Christmas, walking along the front at Paphos on Boxing Day. We crossed the road to avoid the gaggle of touts. 'No need for that, you loser', shouted one at me. I pointed out that trying to sell timeshares stood on a street corner on Boxing Day almost certainly made him the loser.

Just tell them that you haven't got a credit card. Does it for me.
Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 02:41 - Mar 6 with 1660 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 14:39 - Mar 5 by PassionNotAnger

And families with school-age children can't go on holiday during term time. Probably best if no-one goes during term time as that would create a "two tiered society" (to quote from one of the comments above).

Pathetic.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 08:04 - Mar 6 with 1630 views26_Paz

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 02:41 - Mar 6 by Tangledupin_Blue

And families with school-age children can't go on holiday during term time. Probably best if no-one goes during term time as that would create a "two tiered society" (to quote from one of the comments above).

Pathetic.

Alright mate, calm down.
I know this is very broadly speaking but the young have stayed in when going out would not have harmed them in order to protect the old who the young going out would have harmed. Surely you can see the logic that if said young people are expected to stay in longer (again, remember going out probably won’t harm them much, if at all) than the very elderly people they sacrificed a year of their lives (and associated career prospects) to protect those young people are going to feel a bit hard done by.

The Paz Man

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 08:37 - Mar 6 with 1609 viewsCoastalblue

I read the thread title as Cyrus, and to be honest wasn't even overly shocked at the thought Miley might be entertaining a load of people.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Cyprus to welcome vaccinated tourists from U.K. from May on 08:43 - Mar 6 with 1606 viewsHerbivore

I don't really agree with the attitude that if I can't do something nobody else should be able to either. I get that it's frustrating if we can't go on holiday until we've been vaccinated and for those of us in low risk groups we will be vaccinated last, but why would you want to carry on imposing restrictions on others just because you face them yourself? It's proper race to the bottom stuff. And practically speaking, if some people can start going away from June time then it means the travel industry can reopen sooner and it means that you're not going to have the whole of the UK trying to get away later in the year once everyone has had their vaccine. Spreading out demand seems pretty sensible.

If there are also significant restrictions on what people can do in the UK then that feels more harsh, but again I wouldn't want to see everyone be restricted and certain industries continuing to be shut down just because I personally have to wait another couple of months before I can do those things.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2021 8:53]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024