Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Gordon Elliot photo 14:32 - Mar 5 with 3564 viewsMoriarty

He's appearing before the Irish Racing Board today.

I couldn't help but notice how the issue was handled on here by some posters during the week.

The photo was entirely distasteful. A man entrusted with the welfare and care of animals should always take that responsibility seriously. He is paid to do so. Animal welfare is an important social issue. It matters.

I don't know the guy all that well. I know a few in the racing industry and a few who have had horses with different trainers. I get a few tips from time to time but not being partial to a bet on the nags, I don't pay all that much attention.

I have also read during the week that some well known people in the industry say that, on the whole, he treats his animals very well and that he has renewed and re-invigorated certain horses that were sent to his yard. Many in the industry here have recognised how unacceptable the photo was but many also surmise that it was moment of utter stupidity and distaste rather than a reflection on how he treats his animals generally.

He has been subjected to a barage of vile abuse on social media. Caroline Flack's anniversary was (I think) fairly recent. She took her own life due to online abuse. I also heard on the wireless this morning that our screens are soon to be polluted with "Love Island" soon (a show which I don't watch). What we might not hear however is that two former contestants of "Love Island" took their own lives or why they did so. Still the show goes on without any apparent objection. Social media and on line abuse can be very damaging as can ill tempered judgment and relentless calls for extreme punishment.

GE sat on a dead horse and posed in profoundly stupid way for a profoundly stupid photo. The horse had died of a heart attack. The owner of the horse is keeping his horses in the yard.

GE must be punished. Equally, any punishment must be fair and proportionate, qualities which were absent from some of the posts on this issue during the week. Is he not entitled to be genuinely remorseful? to a second chance?

He employs 70-80 people locally and that is big boost to a small local economy.

The motivation behind the release of the photo is also worthy of consideration. The photo is a number of years old. The release of the photo had nothing to do with animal welfare or a concern for animal welfare. The sole purpose of releasing the photo was to inflict as much damage, personal and financial, as possible on him. That is a bandwagon that some people are sometimes all too quick to jump on, oblivious to, or unconcerned with, the damage it will cause to GE. personally and financially, with follow on consequences for his employees, family and friends.

However distasteful the photo or his actions were, he is entitled to fairness and proportionality. He is entitled to be genuinely remorseful.

The excuse he offered is unlikely to have any purchase with the decision makers. And neither should it. However, if they consider him to be genuinely remorseful, he should be given credit for that. If he is genuinely remorseful, is he note entitled to a second chance?

I hope he receives a fair punishment, which imho, amounts to a substantial fine, a temporary ban, a contribution to animal welfare groups, and an undertaking to complete a course in animal welfare.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2021 15:15]

fka omuircheartaigh

The Gordon Elliot photo on 21:37 - Mar 5 with 906 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Gordon Elliot photo on 21:24 - Mar 5 by J2BLUE

Ahh cheers. I will watch with interest to see what else comes out about him. Do you think it will be soon or will they wait until he's just about to return to keep the story going?

It’s an ex employee leaking the stuff. The first three things are out there now (mostly out there). Which are the horse pic, the video of his missus fighting the stable girl (done the rounds on WhatsApp - I’ve seen that) and the video of him in a makeshift pub in lockdown (again WhatsApp and I’ve seen that).

There’s two left to come out. One which is a video of him on coke at a rugby match. Again I’ve seen that sent in my WhatsApp group. And one other video which is at the early stage of WhatsApp groups (my mate who knows stuff from the yard has seen it) of him doing something that will end his career. I obviously won’t say on a public forum though. If the last of those five gets leaked at any stage, his career is over and his ex assistant trainers new career is also over training horses. That’s if the video is true (as I said.. I personally have not seen it) but I have no reason to doubt it.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

The Gordon Elliot photo on 21:41 - Mar 5 with 896 viewsgtsb1966

The Gordon Elliot photo on 21:37 - Mar 5 by The_Romford_Blue

It’s an ex employee leaking the stuff. The first three things are out there now (mostly out there). Which are the horse pic, the video of his missus fighting the stable girl (done the rounds on WhatsApp - I’ve seen that) and the video of him in a makeshift pub in lockdown (again WhatsApp and I’ve seen that).

There’s two left to come out. One which is a video of him on coke at a rugby match. Again I’ve seen that sent in my WhatsApp group. And one other video which is at the early stage of WhatsApp groups (my mate who knows stuff from the yard has seen it) of him doing something that will end his career. I obviously won’t say on a public forum though. If the last of those five gets leaked at any stage, his career is over and his ex assistant trainers new career is also over training horses. That’s if the video is true (as I said.. I personally have not seen it) but I have no reason to doubt it.

https://rarerecords.com.au/store/vinyl/12-inch-lp/flogging-a-dead-horse/
The Gordon Elliot photo on 21:45 - Mar 5 with 882 viewsJ2BLUE

Interesting, cheers.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The Gordon Elliot photo on 22:05 - Mar 5 with 873 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Gordon Elliot photo on 21:41 - Mar 5 by gtsb1966

https://rarerecords.com.au/store/vinyl/12-inch-lp/flogging-a-dead-horse/

That wasn’t what he did. Interesting guess though

The Gordon Elliot photo on 22:10 - Mar 5 with 873 viewsMoriarty

The Gordon Elliot photo on 21:12 - Mar 5 by J2BLUE

Genuine question. Isn't it down to each country to rule on who can or cannot take place in events held in their country? Of course it was a matter for Ireland but they can't stop him being involved in British racing can they? I'm genuinely asking. It needs both to suspect him to stop him participating in any race in Ireland and Britain?

I agree there are bound to be worse sins than what he did. Sadly some humans think only of how they can exploit animals for personal gain whether it's racing, animal foods, dog breeding etc.

My guess is that the penal sanction (fine, suspension etc) is determined by the relevant national authority. So, for example, if a British trainer sinned in Britain, the Irish or French authority have no jurisdiction on the penal matter. However any National authority, whether Ireland, Britain, France, etc can decide who is licensed to train and run on their own turf. So in the example given, the British board fines and suspends the sinner but the Irish, French etc may have regard to that in deciding whether to licence the sinner to enter in races on their turf. I might be wrong but I can’t see how it would be any other way. Even if there is extra-territoriality (which I doubt) I imagine one National board would be reluctant to second guess the other on the appropriate penalty.

One reason I like horses a lot is because my Dad and two of his mates purchased a really good horse at a really good price many years ago. I really liked the horse. He was fancied to be really good and would have had a sporting chance in Aintree. He didn’t make it there, although he won some decent races and his story and fate were a journey of joy, sadness and for me) shone a light on some of the goings on in that world.

fka omuircheartaigh

The Gordon Elliot photo on 22:13 - Mar 5 with 866 viewsJ2BLUE

The Gordon Elliot photo on 22:10 - Mar 5 by Moriarty

My guess is that the penal sanction (fine, suspension etc) is determined by the relevant national authority. So, for example, if a British trainer sinned in Britain, the Irish or French authority have no jurisdiction on the penal matter. However any National authority, whether Ireland, Britain, France, etc can decide who is licensed to train and run on their own turf. So in the example given, the British board fines and suspends the sinner but the Irish, French etc may have regard to that in deciding whether to licence the sinner to enter in races on their turf. I might be wrong but I can’t see how it would be any other way. Even if there is extra-territoriality (which I doubt) I imagine one National board would be reluctant to second guess the other on the appropriate penalty.

One reason I like horses a lot is because my Dad and two of his mates purchased a really good horse at a really good price many years ago. I really liked the horse. He was fancied to be really good and would have had a sporting chance in Aintree. He didn’t make it there, although he won some decent races and his story and fate were a journey of joy, sadness and for me) shone a light on some of the goings on in that world.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry to hear about your negative experience.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The Gordon Elliot photo on 22:33 - Mar 5 with 855 viewsMoriarty

The Gordon Elliot photo on 22:13 - Mar 5 by J2BLUE

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry to hear about your negative experience.

It was a journey of highs and lows!

Thanks for the thoughts.

fka omuircheartaigh

The Gordon Elliot photo on 17:39 - Mar 6 with 781 viewsNeedhamChris

Interesting this hasn’t come out yet.

For a lot of people who profess to care about horses welfare, you’d think someone would leak it to ensure Gordon never gets near horses again.

Poll: Was that the worst result in the clubs history?

Login to get fewer ads

The Gordon Elliot photo on 20:14 - Mar 6 with 737 viewsRyorry

The Gordon Elliot photo on 17:39 - Mar 6 by NeedhamChris

Interesting this hasn’t come out yet.

For a lot of people who profess to care about horses welfare, you’d think someone would leak it to ensure Gordon never gets near horses again.

Someone already has, but I think (I hope Rommy will correct me if this is wrong) that they're leaking slowly, one item at a time, for max impact, so it simply hasn't yet been made public.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The Gordon Elliot photo on 01:07 - Mar 7 with 669 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Gordon Elliot photo on 20:14 - Mar 6 by Ryorry

Someone already has, but I think (I hope Rommy will correct me if this is wrong) that they're leaking slowly, one item at a time, for max impact, so it simply hasn't yet been made public.

Yes one at a time weekly for the past four weeks.

Now he’s banned, I wouldn’t at all be surprised if this last one doesn’t become proper public logic until just before he’s back in the game.. and then comes out.

Also will be very interested to see at what point the ex employee doing this (so I’m informed) becomes public knowledge and how the reaction to he/she is.

The Gordon Elliot photo on 09:18 - Mar 7 with 621 viewsMoriarty

The Gordon Elliot photo on 01:07 - Mar 7 by The_Romford_Blue

Yes one at a time weekly for the past four weeks.

Now he’s banned, I wouldn’t at all be surprised if this last one doesn’t become proper public logic until just before he’s back in the game.. and then comes out.

Also will be very interested to see at what point the ex employee doing this (so I’m informed) becomes public knowledge and how the reaction to he/she is.

It has now been established that the “lockdown” video was not shot during any lockdown but was shot a few years ago. The “ex employee” has defamed GE and everyone in the video in that respect.

The “ex employee” should have presented their concerns and evidence to the Irish racing board in a timely and proper manner and allowed the proper regulatory body deal with it in the proper way. Given it is a vendetta, however, not in any way motivated by concerns for animal welfare, and now it seems contains elements of untruth, the “ex employee’s” band wagon is not one I’d be rushing to jump on.

[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 9:27]

fka omuircheartaigh

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024