Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Disappointing, but first game and all that 17:43 - Mar 6 with 1574 viewsthebooks

Not really fair to say it's a rubbish squad and we should get rid of everyone, or that Cook should be doing more. Shame though, I feel a win would have set a charge up, rather than us all feeling a bit deflated again.

So, what do we feel Cook should achieve?

I know there's some fixing to do, but that's the same for most new managers.

For me the minimum is the play offs. I don't want us to be in another Lambert position where we're going on about rebuilding jobs and letting things slide. It's about time we had some expectations.

Incidentally, this site is virtually unusable on a phone.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2021 17:44]
Disappointing, but first have and all that on 17:53 - Mar 6 with 1520 viewsChrisd

Sorry I don't agree, but respect your view. Cook has been here a matter of days, these players have been performing under this dark cloud of PL which has now been lifted. This was the opportunity for our players to step up, under a new regime and show that they are good players and they delivered that inept performance, just woeful. We are all quick to point fingers at other issues as to why our players don't perform and rarely do we accuse those in a blue shirt. Well today was that day, they need to be held accountable for that display. This wasn't on Cook, he hasn't had the time to stamp his mark on these players yet, this is solely on them. No heart, no fight, no desire and no character, lets not forget lots of these players are playing for new contracts and should be out to impress the new boss. If I was Cook, once I get back to Suffolk I'd start by drawing up my long list of those players that I'll be releasing in the summer. Think it's going to be a very busy one for our new manager.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2021 17:57]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Disappointing, but first have and all that on 17:58 - Mar 6 with 1497 viewsZXBlue

Disappointing, but first have and all that on 17:53 - Mar 6 by Chrisd

Sorry I don't agree, but respect your view. Cook has been here a matter of days, these players have been performing under this dark cloud of PL which has now been lifted. This was the opportunity for our players to step up, under a new regime and show that they are good players and they delivered that inept performance, just woeful. We are all quick to point fingers at other issues as to why our players don't perform and rarely do we accuse those in a blue shirt. Well today was that day, they need to be held accountable for that display. This wasn't on Cook, he hasn't had the time to stamp his mark on these players yet, this is solely on them. No heart, no fight, no desire and no character, lets not forget lots of these players are playing for new contracts and should be out to impress the new boss. If I was Cook, once I get back to Suffolk I'd start by drawing up my long list of those players that I'll be releasing in the summer. Think it's going to be a very busy one for our new manager.

I think that shows a lack of understanding of football and psychology.

2 years' worth of training, patterns, habits and mindset cannot be altered in a day. You will not know whether the players are up to it, until they have been under a decent manager for a reaosnable period. Confidence, belief and good habits do not suddenly reappear just because a new man is in, or because we scrape a couple of wins.

What we can be sure of, is that if people start laying into players after a single game, it will make the manager's job very much more difficult.
Disappointing, but first have and all that on 18:02 - Mar 6 with 1479 viewsChrisd

Disappointing, but first have and all that on 17:58 - Mar 6 by ZXBlue

I think that shows a lack of understanding of football and psychology.

2 years' worth of training, patterns, habits and mindset cannot be altered in a day. You will not know whether the players are up to it, until they have been under a decent manager for a reaosnable period. Confidence, belief and good habits do not suddenly reappear just because a new man is in, or because we scrape a couple of wins.

What we can be sure of, is that if people start laying into players after a single game, it will make the manager's job very much more difficult.

Sorry ZXBlue, with respect I think your response shows a complete lack of football understanding and psychology. These players have won the last 3 leagues games, had 1 defeat in the last 7 or 8 games on a good little run and are playing a formation that they are familiar with and just can't get up for a game in front of the new boss. That says a lot about the character of our players.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2021 18:41]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Disappointing, but first have and all that on 20:13 - Mar 6 with 1375 viewsZXBlue

Disappointing, but first have and all that on 18:02 - Mar 6 by Chrisd

Sorry ZXBlue, with respect I think your response shows a complete lack of football understanding and psychology. These players have won the last 3 leagues games, had 1 defeat in the last 7 or 8 games on a good little run and are playing a formation that they are familiar with and just can't get up for a game in front of the new boss. That says a lot about the character of our players.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2021 18:41]

No. It doesn't.
Disappointing, but first game and all that on 20:43 - Mar 6 with 1336 viewsMrTown

Squad isn’t good enough for play-offs. 15 games for Cook to see who he wants with him next year.

I would imagine the List will be incredibly incredibly small - Nydam and El Miz only maybe.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Disappointing, but first game and all that on 21:12 - Mar 6 with 1310 viewspointofblue

Disappointing, but first game and all that on 20:43 - Mar 6 by MrTown

Squad isn’t good enough for play-offs. 15 games for Cook to see who he wants with him next year.

I would imagine the List will be incredibly incredibly small - Nydam and El Miz only maybe.

Is our squad really not at least the sixth strongest in the division? Really?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Disappointing, but first game and all that on 21:16 - Mar 6 with 1298 viewsStewart27

Disappointing, but first game and all that on 21:12 - Mar 6 by pointofblue

Is our squad really not at least the sixth strongest in the division? Really?

I keep thinking it is.

I’m just not so sure now. Error prone at the back. Lightweight in midfield with zero playmakers and nobody to stick the ball in the net.

Are we fooling ourselves with this squad? Are they good but have been badly managed? I know we’ve been badly managed but are they good?
Disappointing, but first have and all that on 21:25 - Mar 6 with 1285 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Disappointing, but first have and all that on 17:53 - Mar 6 by Chrisd

There is no doubt the squad needs trimming.

I would start by working out the 25-30 players that he thinks should be the nucleus of his first team squad. These should be the focus of his best coaches. I would then speak to the rest and explain that the squad is too large to be functional and they now need to work their way into replacing the ones in the main squad. Make it clear the door is still open but they are not the first choice at the moment.

Then a similar conversation with those in the main squad. Make it clear they can drop out of it if they don't sustain the performances expected in matches and training.

Next, he needs to get the audit of fitness and injury management underway.

Then he needs to work on tactics and decision making on the pitch with his main squad. Develop partnerships in training that will translate into match day.

I am sure he his own ideas but that's the way I see it.

Longer term, he then needs to look at who is staying, how he is trimming this unmanageable squad and whether there is the capacity in all that to bring players in. If there is, where the priority is but I would suggest a quality striker to work with/compete with Norwood has to be high on the list.

When Royle came in, he improved our strikers and the goal scoring from our midfielders. Developing the players we have is important and should be our first priority.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

Disappointing, but first game and all that on 00:53 - Mar 7 with 1188 viewsThe_Last_Baron

We were lucky to beat Accrington. Had the red card been yellow I believe we'd have lost.

We are not a good side. We lack quality players all over the park and if we make 6th we will have over achieved.

Next season is when Paul Cook will show us his worth.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Disappointing, but first have and all that on 00:56 - Mar 7 with 1183 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Disappointing, but first have and all that on 21:25 - Mar 6 by Nthsuffolkblue

There is no doubt the squad needs trimming.

I would start by working out the 25-30 players that he thinks should be the nucleus of his first team squad. These should be the focus of his best coaches. I would then speak to the rest and explain that the squad is too large to be functional and they now need to work their way into replacing the ones in the main squad. Make it clear the door is still open but they are not the first choice at the moment.

Then a similar conversation with those in the main squad. Make it clear they can drop out of it if they don't sustain the performances expected in matches and training.

Next, he needs to get the audit of fitness and injury management underway.

Then he needs to work on tactics and decision making on the pitch with his main squad. Develop partnerships in training that will translate into match day.

I am sure he his own ideas but that's the way I see it.

Longer term, he then needs to look at who is staying, how he is trimming this unmanageable squad and whether there is the capacity in all that to bring players in. If there is, where the priority is but I would suggest a quality striker to work with/compete with Norwood has to be high on the list.

When Royle came in, he improved our strikers and the goal scoring from our midfielders. Developing the players we have is important and should be our first priority.

18 players is all we need. A new goalkeeper is a must, a cente half, two midfielders and we desperately need some fire power up front.

This summer is the perfect opportunity for a much needed clear out. Barring a miracle we will be in League One next season.

Gawd we miss the lad we signed from Colchester.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Disappointing, but first game and all that on 07:59 - Mar 7 with 1105 viewsphillev231069

I'm sorry but there are no excuses for that inept display, I can take being beaten by a better side but what I won't accept is a total lack of effort or passion. Pretty much second to every ball yesterday and they just looked like a bunch of strangers. We all know skill plays a large part in football but so does depth of character and yesterday we had neither!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024