Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team 21:59 - Mar 6 with 4003 viewsLowie

All this talk of being 'spoilt for riches' in midfield that everyone has been banging on about forever is totally unravelling.

I don't doubt some of our young players have great potential, but the priority is getting out of this division. Bishop is lightweight, injury prone but undoubtedly skilful. Andre, for me, offers very little. Downes has the potential to be the best of the bunch but needs to control himself. Nolan (although injured) offers us nothing either, nor does Huws. Lancaster, Dobra and El Miz have such limited experience, even at this level.

We need someone that will boss the middle of the park, organise the guys around them and someone that will put themselves through a brick wall for the team. The 'men against boys' description has been used in relation to today which I don't like, but certainly agree with. We need to fight, impose ourselves on the opposition. This is the third tier, we shouldn't try to play like Barcelona. We need to be tough, direct and well organised. Doing the simple things well will get us promoted. The main reason we are where we is because we haven't done this.

Cook has already mentioned Skuse in glowing terms, my prediction is he'll walk straight into the team and take on this role. He's not a player that sets the world on fire, but I am so fed up of our over-rated midfield shambles that I'd happily get behind trying something different.
Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 22:19 - Mar 6 with 3172 viewsjudespiveyg

I'm pretty sure Downes will get the starting defensive midfield role. Two defensive midfielders at once is obviously too many, and anyone with eyes can see Downes is better than Skuse.
I think a mistake people often make is assuming Skuse makes our midfield any less lightweight. He's never been a guy who throws his weight around, gets in people's faces and imposes himself on a game, like Downes does. His tackling and physicality has never stood out like it does with Downes, or even like it did with Luke Hyam.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 22:19 - Mar 6 with 3172 viewsGarv

I don't disagree with your sentiment and fully agree that we're too lightweight.

I'm not convinced Skuse will have time to get fit and work his way into the team, though.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 22:20 - Mar 6 with 3175 viewsrgp1

I said this on here the other day like one or two others. Ask yourself the question why did previous managers always pick Skuse and Chambers?

The answer is simple you need as Joe Royle once said battle hardened' players.

Remember the 2-1 win at Wigan a few years back when Skuse got sent off and we were hanging on for dear life.
Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 22:21 - Mar 6 with 3159 viewsBlueBadger

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 22:19 - Mar 6 by judespiveyg

I'm pretty sure Downes will get the starting defensive midfield role. Two defensive midfielders at once is obviously too many, and anyone with eyes can see Downes is better than Skuse.
I think a mistake people often make is assuming Skuse makes our midfield any less lightweight. He's never been a guy who throws his weight around, gets in people's faces and imposes himself on a game, like Downes does. His tackling and physicality has never stood out like it does with Downes, or even like it did with Luke Hyam.

What you do get with Skuse when he's on his game though, is CONTROL. He's someone who puts his foot on the ball and looks to keep hold of it. He rarely wastes a ball and has a much underrated range of passing.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 22:33 - Mar 6 with 3097 viewsLowie

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 22:21 - Mar 6 by BlueBadger

What you do get with Skuse when he's on his game though, is CONTROL. He's someone who puts his foot on the ball and looks to keep hold of it. He rarely wastes a ball and has a much underrated range of passing.

Agreed.

He'd walk into this team tomorrow.
Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 22:56 - Mar 6 with 2980 viewsEastTownBlue

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 22:19 - Mar 6 by Garv

I don't disagree with your sentiment and fully agree that we're too lightweight.

I'm not convinced Skuse will have time to get fit and work his way into the team, though.

Returning to match fitness following a long injury lay off is difficult enough for a young player but for a nearly 35 year old ? Realistically he needs a good pre-season.

If fitness wasn't an issue he would offer something to the current team.
Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 23:01 - Mar 6 with 2965 viewsBlueBadger

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 22:33 - Mar 6 by Lowie

Agreed.

He'd walk into this team tomorrow.

As a caveat to the above: he's also 35. I'm not sure we'll see him play again. He'll make a bloody good coach though.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 23:09 - Mar 6 with 2934 viewsStewart27

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 22:20 - Mar 6 by rgp1

I said this on here the other day like one or two others. Ask yourself the question why did previous managers always pick Skuse and Chambers?

The answer is simple you need as Joe Royle once said battle hardened' players.

Remember the 2-1 win at Wigan a few years back when Skuse got sent off and we were hanging on for dear life.

I’m not sure that using the fact that we were hanging on with 10 men away from home adds any fuel to the Skuse in argument.

I remember that game. We were really good. Mick’s good season if I recall?
Login to get fewer ads

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 23:19 - Mar 6 with 2880 viewsbraveblue

When did he ever boss a game!!!!
Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 23:45 - Mar 6 with 2807 viewsnoubledooble

Totally agree with this post. An experienced head like Skuse was missing today and there’s been several games this season I’ve thought that. Bishop looked lost at times today. Some games a Skuse type player is what’s needed I’m afraid that’s league 1 football.
Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 23:47 - Mar 6 with 2796 viewsBlueBadger

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 23:19 - Mar 6 by braveblue

A fair few that you couldn't see through your tears because Mick was in charge of the team.

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 23:52 - Mar 6 with 2789 viewsJ2BLUE

Skuse is one of those rated by everyone except a portion of his own fan base.

Frankly, in league one, if he can get back and fit he's a big asset.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 23:59 - Mar 6 with 2768 viewschrismakin

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 23:52 - Mar 6 by J2BLUE

Skuse is one of those rated by everyone except a portion of his own fan base.

Frankly, in league one, if he can get back and fit he's a big asset.

Love skuse

But then I love chambers. Ward. Aswell.

I think experience is very very important at this level.and used correctly they will play an important part

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 00:00 - Mar 7 with 2764 viewsJ2BLUE

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 23:59 - Mar 6 by chrismakin

Love skuse

But then I love chambers. Ward. Aswell.

I think experience is very very important at this level.and used correctly they will play an important part

Agree. Big experienced brutes are often more effective in this league than skill players.

We need to use the experience we have.

Truly impaired.

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 00:03 - Mar 7 with 2752 viewschrismakin

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 00:00 - Mar 7 by J2BLUE

Agree. Big experienced brutes are often more effective in this league than skill players.

We need to use the experience we have.

Has ward ever played in front of the back 4? I heard cook mention him but cant see him playing over kenlock only because as a fullback cook likes overlapping fullbacks and ward unfortunately cant do that anymore.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 00:07 - Mar 7 with 2743 viewsJ2BLUE

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 00:03 - Mar 7 by chrismakin

Has ward ever played in front of the back 4? I heard cook mention him but cant see him playing over kenlock only because as a fullback cook likes overlapping fullbacks and ward unfortunately cant do that anymore.

Neither can Chambers but he played him over Matheson.

Truly impaired.

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 00:11 - Mar 7 with 2729 viewschrismakin

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 00:07 - Mar 7 by J2BLUE

Neither can Chambers but he played him over Matheson.

Got a theory on that.

I can see chambers moving inside.. cook didnt want to make to Many changes for today. I reckon that could be one. Not saying nsiala was bad but chambers offered no help to bennetts in important phases of attack and cook would have noticed this.

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 00:14 - Mar 7 with 2724 viewsJ2BLUE

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 00:11 - Mar 7 by chrismakin

Got a theory on that.

I can see chambers moving inside.. cook didnt want to make to Many changes for today. I reckon that could be one. Not saying nsiala was bad but chambers offered no help to bennetts in important phases of attack and cook would have noticed this.

Seeing Bennetts in the line up didn't fill me with confidence to be honest.

Truly impaired.

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 00:19 - Mar 7 with 2709 viewschrismakin

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 00:14 - Mar 7 by J2BLUE

Seeing Bennetts in the line up didn't fill me with confidence to be honest.

If he was ours I'd love to see how he could develop but hes not.

He is soooooo frustrating but then seeing Edwards thomas. Sears. Harrop as options doesnt fill me with confidence either.

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 00:54 - Mar 7 with 2651 viewsrgp1

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 23:09 - Mar 6 by Stewart27

I’m not sure that using the fact that we were hanging on with 10 men away from home adds any fuel to the Skuse in argument.

I remember that game. We were really good. Mick’s good season if I recall?

Yes it was that season I believe. But many people forget many footballers are tasked with doing the horrible things that not many take notice of and typically Skuse is one of those.
Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 03:03 - Mar 7 with 2614 viewstextbackup

Downes aggression and ability far out ways that of skuse's (and I like skuse FWIW)

think we'll see him straight in from the straight Tuesday night, you cant have dozzell and bishop as a midfield two, bit of a cant cook wont cook, cant tackle wont tackle, situation.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 08:05 - Mar 7 with 2368 viewslazyblue

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 23:19 - Mar 6 by braveblue

Quite a few in the MM era he just did nit need to fly in to tackles or run around like a headless chicken to do it.
Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 08:13 - Mar 7 with 2350 viewsKeaneish

I think its easy to forget how laboured Skuse was starting to look in the midfield after he cam back from his first injury last season. Sadly, he's been a long time out and at 34, i'd say unless he gets some minutes very soon, his career as a regular starter is over.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 8:13]

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 09:21 - Mar 7 with 2221 viewsDarkHorse

If he's fully fit, and it's a big if, he should definitely play.
Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 10:27 - Mar 7 with 2152 viewshadleighboyblue

Cole Skuse - he'll be straight back in the team on 22:19 - Mar 6 by judespiveyg

Skuse has always been a steadying influence , rather than a game changer .

Tackling is not a strong point , we need a much stronger player in there .

Just like with Sears ,we need to move on
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024