Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mental health 11:34 - Mar 7 with 2686 viewsITFCMonk

I know this isn't what most of you want to see on a Sunday but I feel my mental health is slowly getting worse at the moment in this lockdown. I've been down this road a few years ago after a bereavement and just don't want to make the same mistakes ie losing interest in work, relationships, football etc. Anyone know the best help out there? From Essex, not Suffolk BTW.

Edit - thanks to all who have messaged me. Didn't realise how helpful you all are until posting and would have done this 100% a few years ago. Would like anyone who likewise may have any issues to feel free to DM me too as I'm more than happy to have a chat too.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 18:36]
Mental health on 11:40 - Mar 7 with 2434 viewsnodge_blue

I doubt you are alone with that. Its been a long hard Winter. Bad times.

I think you should probably start with your doctor.

I know its a bit banal to say, but Id recommend going out for a long walk. I find staying in and looking at screens drags me down a bit. Going for a walk and seeing a bit of nature / people / maybe some sun helps me alot.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Mental health on 11:42 - Mar 7 with 2427 viewsDeano69

Hi mate.

I know Suffolk Mind quite well and they are brilliant. There is an Essex equivalent here https://mnessexmind.org/ (For north and mid Essex areas).

It has been a gruelling time for many and it’s a great sign that you can recognise the patterns in your thinking to know you’re not feeling right.

Keep talking, not sure who you have as family and friends that can act as support or at least someone to talk to.

There’s some really good and well meaning people on this forum who will be really supportive and easy to chat with.

Keep your energy levels up, eating well, staying active and trying to keep in good sleeping patterns will help immensely. But always work seeking the advice of trained people, especially if you have experienced something similar before.

Feel free to post here or message directly if you prefer. But do keep talking.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 11:50]

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Mental health on 11:52 - Mar 7 with 2381 viewsDebsyAngel

There are not set times of days that we are permitted to feel like this! I have this hell every day in some shape or form.

Sadly I cannot really recommend what medication works as none has for me and cannot take any now due to an eye condition. My doctors are useless sadly and feel totally isolated from them.

What does make the days bearable is talking to friends and family, and people on here have been so supportive and full of advice to me, which I am so grateful for. I try to take what people say to me and adapt it the best I can to what suits me in my life.

Also find that lots of music helps me - I always have music on all day, and it mostly cheers me up.

What helped you before a few years ago? Is it worth trying whatever that was again, or is no longer any help?

I wish you all the best, and hope that things change for the better for you soon x
Mental health on 11:57 - Mar 7 with 2354 viewsITFCMonk

Mental health on 11:42 - Mar 7 by Deano69

Hi mate.

I know Suffolk Mind quite well and they are brilliant. There is an Essex equivalent here https://mnessexmind.org/ (For north and mid Essex areas).

It has been a gruelling time for many and it’s a great sign that you can recognise the patterns in your thinking to know you’re not feeling right.

Keep talking, not sure who you have as family and friends that can act as support or at least someone to talk to.

There’s some really good and well meaning people on this forum who will be really supportive and easy to chat with.

Keep your energy levels up, eating well, staying active and trying to keep in good sleeping patterns will help immensely. But always work seeking the advice of trained people, especially if you have experienced something similar before.

Feel free to post here or message directly if you prefer. But do keep talking.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 11:50]

Thanks for this
Mental health on 12:00 - Mar 7 with 2351 viewsgiant_stow

On the contrary, this place is very mental health aware, so I would suggest you let loose.

Definately see the gp as a starting point and don't be afraid of medication as a short term stop gap at least, before some talking based therapy. If you had an infection, you'd take antibiotics, so a head issue shouldn't be any different (as long as you're careful).

Also as someone above says, exercise is a great remedy to stress and depression.that you don't need to wait to see a Dr for.

You can feel better.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 12:01]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Mental health on 12:02 - Mar 7 with 2329 viewsITFCMonk

Mental health on 11:40 - Mar 7 by nodge_blue

I doubt you are alone with that. Its been a long hard Winter. Bad times.

I think you should probably start with your doctor.

I know its a bit banal to say, but Id recommend going out for a long walk. I find staying in and looking at screens drags me down a bit. Going for a walk and seeing a bit of nature / people / maybe some sun helps me alot.

Cheers
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 12:02]
Mental health on 12:02 - Mar 7 with 2329 viewsgainsboroughblue

You are definitely not alone. As mentioned, speak to your GP in the first instance.

There are a lot of resources out there but they are not always easy to find. I could signpost you much easier if you were in Suffolk but you are very welcome to PM me on here. In fact, there are a lot of people on this very forum who are very supportive and knowledgeable.

Here are a few links which may or may not be useful. Always happy to find more or anything more specific depending on circumstances/interests.

https://aclessex.com/mental-health/

https://mnessexmind.org/ (I link this not knowing where in Essex you are so if it's not your area, you can google the appropriate one)

https://www.livingwellessex.org/health-and-well-being/mental-health/getting-help

https://www.recoverycollegeonline.co.uk/

https://eput.nhs.uk/our-services/essex/essex-mental-health-services/

https://www.mindful.org/meditation/mindfulness-getting-started/

https://www.headspace.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiAkJKCBhAyEiwAKQBCkro1rahCPpzbkZMrJIWEyMm

https://www.betterhelp.com/helpme/?utm_source=AdWords&utm_medium=Search_PPC_

Really hope things get better for you. I personally am finding this lockdown much harder than the last one, but there is some light at the end of that particular tunnel. It is starting to get lighter in the mornings. Just getting out for a walk for a couple of hours can help.

Get a planner and put it on your wall and write down everything you need or want to do that week, even down to what you intend to eat that day. Set realistic and small targets and by achieving them, that could improve your outlook and give you much more reason to face the day/week/month.

More importantly, communicate with friends, family. Accept some days are going to be hard and don't beat yourself up for feeling crap, because there are a lot of people going through the same and some may even like to share their difficulties, offer advice on what has helped for them etc. https://www.mentalhealthforum.net/

Take care fella. And I repeat, don't be afraid to share on here or PM.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Mental health on 12:14 - Mar 7 with 2256 viewslowhouseblue

everyone on the thread is saying sensible things. we're living in tough times and feeling the effects of that is not at all unusual. talk to your gp, talk to friends, talk on here, make contact with some of the links on the thread. establishing a routine, getting outside, getting some exercise etc for the next couple of months until the sun comes (literally and metaphorically) is also good. things will change.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Login to get fewer ads

Mental health on 12:58 - Mar 7 with 2160 viewsSwailsey

Sorry to hear you are struggling but never apologise for speaking up.

This forum has been wonderful to people in the past - I’ve received a significant level of support when I’ve been up and down. Feel free to reach out to me via PM if you want to talk, if not, I can recommend you some excellent forums which you can join.

Stay strong, stay safe and stay vocal.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 12:59]

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Mental health on 13:16 - Mar 7 with 2069 viewsITFCMonk

Mental health on 11:52 - Mar 7 by DebsyAngel

There are not set times of days that we are permitted to feel like this! I have this hell every day in some shape or form.

Sadly I cannot really recommend what medication works as none has for me and cannot take any now due to an eye condition. My doctors are useless sadly and feel totally isolated from them.

What does make the days bearable is talking to friends and family, and people on here have been so supportive and full of advice to me, which I am so grateful for. I try to take what people say to me and adapt it the best I can to what suits me in my life.

Also find that lots of music helps me - I always have music on all day, and it mostly cheers me up.

What helped you before a few years ago? Is it worth trying whatever that was again, or is no longer any help?

I wish you all the best, and hope that things change for the better for you soon x

Thanks. A few years ago after a family bereavement towards the end of 2017 I went through the whole break down process, quit my job as I couldn't face the day or sleep in the early days of 2018. Hadn't really experienced this before but had the support of my dad who was living in Ipswich at the time, yet everything felt so worthless and I can't even recall what happened at ITFC in those final few months of Mick after the Norwich game. I recall at one point watching that Norwich game in Isaacs and think at that moment I was trying to plot a plan for the worse scenario. Meanwhile, I was at a GP under special measures here at the time and they eventually prescribed an anti depressant on a very high dose which might have helped alongside the treatment from nurses. Been contemplating whether to go back to those on a low dose.
Mental health on 13:27 - Mar 7 with 2016 viewsDebsyAngel

Mental health on 13:16 - Mar 7 by ITFCMonk

Thanks. A few years ago after a family bereavement towards the end of 2017 I went through the whole break down process, quit my job as I couldn't face the day or sleep in the early days of 2018. Hadn't really experienced this before but had the support of my dad who was living in Ipswich at the time, yet everything felt so worthless and I can't even recall what happened at ITFC in those final few months of Mick after the Norwich game. I recall at one point watching that Norwich game in Isaacs and think at that moment I was trying to plot a plan for the worse scenario. Meanwhile, I was at a GP under special measures here at the time and they eventually prescribed an anti depressant on a very high dose which might have helped alongside the treatment from nurses. Been contemplating whether to go back to those on a low dose.

You have been through so much and I am truly sorry.

If you found the antidepressants a help, please go to your doctor to see if you can be prescribed more of them. I know if I didn;t have this stupid eye condition, I would be trying them.

I wish you all the luck in the world and please post more on here - it's more than just a football forum, and as I have said before, found lots on here to be so supportive.

Take care x
Mental health on 13:43 - Mar 7 with 1978 viewsKeno

Firstly well done for speaking up, that takes a lot of courage.

I think a lot of what been posting already is spot on and all I can add is are welcome to PM me. I may not be able to help much but I can always listen

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Mental health on 14:15 - Mar 7 with 1939 viewsRedWhiteAndBLUE

My youngest daughter suffers with anxiety, and aside from things like childlike, as somebody else mentioned above Mind are very helpful. We're from Essex (Braintree) too. Taking a herbal supplement,
Rhodeola Rosea, seems to lessen fatigue and help my daughter's mood as well.

Feel free to add me to the list of people you can PM if you'd like to. 👍
Mental health on 14:31 - Mar 7 with 1900 viewsITFCMonk

Mental health on 14:15 - Mar 7 by RedWhiteAndBLUE

My youngest daughter suffers with anxiety, and aside from things like childlike, as somebody else mentioned above Mind are very helpful. We're from Essex (Braintree) too. Taking a herbal supplement,
Rhodeola Rosea, seems to lessen fatigue and help my daughter's mood as well.

Feel free to add me to the list of people you can PM if you'd like to. 👍

I live there too mate. Wouldn't say it's a bad place to live either and well done for sharing that.
Mental health on 15:50 - Mar 7 with 1811 viewsAce_High1

Try and find some "wins" or joy in each day. They don't have to be big things but with the events of the last 12 months it can be hard not to fall into a negative mindset.

For me these wins can be anything from watching an episode of a TV show I like, hitting my 4 times a week work out target, cooking some good fresh food, making progress in my guitar/golf lessons/practice.

The most important thing is to try and laugh and find some humour. I keep random episodes of programmes such as Trigger Happy and Impractical Jokers saved on my laptop/Sky box. After a hard, long day at work when sometimes you can feel like you did not get anywhere, I watch a short 20 mins of the above and just have a laugh to myself. Always makes me feel positive.

Just remember the light is there at the end of the tunnel and if you set your mind to it you can achieve anything you want. Don't underestimate how strong you are.
Mental health on 15:52 - Mar 7 with 1807 viewsRedWhiteAndBLUE

Mental health on 14:31 - Mar 7 by ITFCMonk

I live there too mate. Wouldn't say it's a bad place to live either and well done for sharing that.

I think there are a few people on TWTD from Braintree, although I don't know any of them personally. As you say, there are worse places to live, I've been here all my life - nearly 51 years.🙂
Mental health on 15:53 - Mar 7 with 1804 viewsJ2BLUE

Anyone who wants or needs to post anything like this should post it whenever they feel like it.

All the best mate.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Mental health on 16:05 - Mar 7 with 1784 viewsMullet

Email your GP practice. They will refer you to your local NHS mental health team. You will have an assessment and likely get a choice of CBT, counselling etc. and get to decide the direction of treatment which you are comfortable with.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Mental health on 16:27 - Mar 7 with 1739 viewsnoggin

This place was a great help for me last week, there are a lot of vey good people here. I hope you've got someone you can talk to today and that you're not sitting alone and struggling.

As for me, I was doing well until today. Day 9 without a drink, which I'm very proud of. But I went to look at a dog this morning and after a very positive reply to my enquiry, I was quite optimistic. However, the owner rejected me, saying she thought the dog would be bored with me. It really knocked me back. The journey home was horrible and the rest of the day has been difficult. I really think that had the pubs been open, I would have got drunk. Thankfully I can't buy any acohol today so I will just hope that tomorrow is better.

ATB Monk.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Mental health on 16:37 - Mar 7 with 1714 viewsblueprint

Mental health on 14:31 - Mar 7 by ITFCMonk

I too live in Braintree . I have had issues with anxiety over the last 10 years. Sometimes I’ll be fine for weeks then something like a heavy work load can trigger it again.

I recently signed up to service called silver cloud. You initially have a supporter assigned to you who after a phone all of about 45 minutes registers you to the service .

After that you sign in to the app where you can go through various modules which aim to guide and make sense of any issues that are affecting you. There is also a journal that you can fill in and share with your supporter.

It’s early days for me using the service but I’m hopeful this will help me get back to more normal way of life without the constant feelings of nervousness and worry.
Mental health on 16:39 - Mar 7 with 1709 viewsChurchman

Post what you like when you like on here. It’s an outlet and there are plenty of people with good suggestions, knowledge etc as well of lots of good quality distracting nonsense.

Others are far more qualified than me to comment, but what I will say is that you’re not alone. A number of friends of mine have found this lockdown really difficult for a variety of reasons/issues including those not dissimilar to yours. Everyone will be glad when things ease, including the winter, and we can begin to enjoy more normal lives. Things will improve.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 16:53]
Mental health on 16:43 - Mar 7 with 1697 viewsMetal_Hacker

I’ve been feeling it since Christmas as I know a lot of people have , point being you’re not alone

Others are far better than I to suggest stuff to help over your neck of the woods as I’m miles away but I’ll offer the opportunity to DM me anytime for a chat

Keep smiling fella , we’re nearly there now 👌🏻

Poll: If it were one or the other

Mental health on 16:52 - Mar 7 with 1667 viewstractordownsouth

Sorry to hear that mate, you're welcome to drop me a PM, and I'm sure I speak for most people when I say that too. I had some big struggles a few years ago, and it helped to put my thoughts down on here.

The Samaritans might be worth looking at.

https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help/contact-samaritan/

I hope things start picking up - give yourself time, it might take a while, but you'll get there eventually.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Mental health on 17:23 - Mar 7 with 1603 viewsjontysnut

Mental health on 16:05 - Mar 7 by Mullet

Email your GP practice. They will refer you to your local NHS mental health team. You will have an assessment and likely get a choice of CBT, counselling etc. and get to decide the direction of treatment which you are comfortable with.

Yes. I've had some counselling via my GP. As a 60 year old bloke with not much natural affinity to talking about myself I have to say it helped a lot. It wasn't easy but worthwhile.
Mental health on 17:53 - Mar 7 with 1555 viewsSteve_M

I would rather see it and know you've asked for a bit of help than not see it. It's been a hard year and I think, for many, that the last couple of months have probably been the hardest of all.

I had a longish (couple of hours) Zoom chat with a couple of mates last Thursday, hadn't released how much I was missing normal conversation until afterwards. And that's after quite enjoying February - loner, brighter days and the football picking up a bit.

Anyway, you've had plenty of good advice so I'll just reiterate well done for recognising the problem, feel free to keep posting about it on here because, whilst this board has a few faults, the kindness and support shown to strangers more than makes up for that. Good luck.,

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024