Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Championship promotion / relegation 11:48 - Mar 7 with 1660 viewshaynes_toe1

Let's say Cook is as good as a lot seem to think he is, and we get promoted via the playoffs or autos.

In an ideal world, who do you want to get relegated and who promoted this season from the championship to give us the best chance of staying up?

If somehow the likes of Birmingham and Wednesday got relegated leaving the likes of Rotherham in the division next season, for example, would be a slight improvement.

The problem is a the other end its a little irrelevant as whichever 3 come down from the prem are going to be at another level.

Sounds silly but I'd much rather Norwich get promoted than endure a thrashing from them next season. They're practically up anyway. Be good to get rid of Watford too - Swansea if they don't get promoted feel like they might be more of a midtable outfit next season.

I've probably seen more of the championship than league one this season as watching a PL Ipswich wasn't worth it. I know its a 'worry if you get there' scenario but in reality we probably only have 4 or 5 championship quality players. Therefore we need Cook to be like a Warne at Rotherham and get more than the individual abilities out of the players.
Championship promotion / relegation on 11:54 - Mar 7 with 1610 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Get promoted, fear nobody.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Championship promotion / relegation on 14:08 - Mar 7 with 1461 viewshaynes_toe1

Championship promotion / relegation on 11:54 - Mar 7 by You_Bloo_Right

I like the sentiment but it would likely see us immediately relegated.
Championship promotion / relegation on 14:20 - Mar 7 with 1419 viewsmonty_radio

While games like yesterday remain our possibilty, name your 4/5 of definite Championship quality, remembering that several have played there before of whom the older ones have got older, and the younger ones appear no more nailed-on as reasonably quality Championship players than they did before.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Championship promotion / relegation on 14:26 - Mar 7 with 1409 viewsKeaneish

The leap from League One to the Championship isn't the same as the Championship to the PL. If you're playing well, dominating teams and winning matches which breeds confidence, then you should do well with the right investment to add to the squad.

We're a big enough club to handle the step back up. Its getting the playing side right, which has been failing for so long.

Cook will whip it in to shape, i have no doubt about it.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Championship promotion / relegation on 16:04 - Mar 7 with 1312 viewshaynes_toe1

Championship promotion / relegation on 14:26 - Mar 7 by Keaneish

The leap from League One to the Championship isn't the same as the Championship to the PL. If you're playing well, dominating teams and winning matches which breeds confidence, then you should do well with the right investment to add to the squad.

We're a big enough club to handle the step back up. Its getting the playing side right, which has been failing for so long.

The gap between League One and championship is huge. Not quite the PL gap but not far off.

Its why quite often the teams that get relegated into League one come straight back. Its why quite often its the same championship teams in and around the relegation zone.

Look at Wycombe this season.

The gap between the top 6 of this division and bottom 6 of the championship is actually pretty big. For example, Derby would absolutely destroy this team.
Championship promotion / relegation on 16:13 - Mar 7 with 1273 viewsSteve06

Championship promotion / relegation on 14:26 - Mar 7 by Keaneish

3 of the current bottom 5 in the Champ were those teams that went up last year (Wycombe, Rotheram, Coventry). The gap is as big as Champ to PL and we'd be up against it.
Championship promotion / relegation on 16:14 - Mar 7 with 1268 viewsKeaneish

Championship promotion / relegation on 16:04 - Mar 7 by haynes_toe1

The gap between League One and championship is huge. Not quite the PL gap but not far off.

Its why quite often the teams that get relegated into League one come straight back. Its why quite often its the same championship teams in and around the relegation zone.

Look at Wycombe this season.

The gap between the top 6 of this division and bottom 6 of the championship is actually pretty big. For example, Derby would absolutely destroy this team.

Bad examples though in my view. Wycombe were terrible last season and are paying the price for a poor football philosophy, which is unsustainable in the Championship. Same for us, if we got promoted right now, we'd struggle massively next year. Its all about getting the set-up and style right to make the transition easy.

Top 6 and bottom 6 Championship, agreed a big difference. Bottom 6 of the Championship and top 6 of League One, not so much.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Championship promotion / relegation on 16:41 - Mar 7 with 1210 viewsWD19

The division is likely to include a fair number of the likes of Hull, Peterborough, Lincoln, Birmingham, Coventry, Luton, Millwall and Rotherham. With a fair wind we should be in the shake up to finish 21st or better!
Login to get fewer ads

Championship promotion / relegation on 16:48 - Mar 7 with 1194 viewsParisBlue

Championship promotion / relegation on 11:54 - Mar 7 by You_Bloo_Right

This

And get some better players in the summer.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Championship promotion / relegation on 20:45 - Mar 7 with 993 viewsChurchman

He has to build something that is better than the sum of its parts. The last time we had a real one of those was MMs 14/15 side and they were painfully limited. Before that, GBs sides. The 1999 to 2001 team was exactly what I’m talking about, the players weren’t the best but because they knew what they were doing and played together they could go to places like Everton and hammer them. They could take apart Spurs on a snowy lunchtime because they were together.

We haven’t had that in years. Has beens, loanees building their fitness but no commitment to ITFC, journeymen, players not good enough, injury prone crocks pinching a living, players whose primary interest was the bookies, the burger and the bottle aplenty. All in all, unprofessional people at a club with no standards.

My dearest wish, assuming the claw like grip of Evans can’t be prised off, is that Cook can put together a real proper team. Like the big boys of Luton, Barnsley, Peterborough, Rotherham. Doesn’t have to be the best. Just a group with an identity and way of playing that now and again looks like they know what they’re doing
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 20:48]
Championship promotion / relegation on 21:11 - Mar 7 with 910 viewschrismakin

Championship promotion / relegation on 14:08 - Mar 7 by haynes_toe1

I like the sentiment but it would likely see us immediately relegated.

You only win things by playing without fear

That's how Burley took us to Europe. He promised it he delivered

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024