Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? 16:16 - Mar 7 with 2308 viewsMullet

Forgive me, as I've just seen it go up, but isn't that because they would or will be reported tomorrow?

While I'm not one for doom-mongering or the dismissive types either way, going back to the classroom tomorrow is making me anxious enough without misreporting. In the past month I've noticed people are slacker and slacker with following distancing and masks here.

Are we likely to see a corner turned now? I'm expecting the R rate to rise thanks to us reopening in this way right before Easter but I hope not. Certainly we'll need a bit of luck for things to go really well from what I've experienced.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 16:17 - Mar 7 with 2028 viewsSitfcB

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 16:20 - Mar 7 with 2000 viewscbower

Good luck Mullet. Back for me tomorrow too. Interesting to see if masks in the classroom can be sustained. At least we haven't been offered an insult of a pay rise eh! Stay safe mate.

bluescouser

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 16:23 - Mar 7 with 1981 viewsMullet

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 16:20 - Mar 7 by cbower

Good luck Mullet. Back for me tomorrow too. Interesting to see if masks in the classroom can be sustained. At least we haven't been offered an insult of a pay rise eh! Stay safe mate.

You too mate. Are you enforcing everyone except the medically exempt wear them? DfE guidance is being interpreted that it's optional, something I'm raising. I'll be asking all pupils to wear them unless exempt or able to sit isolated and at the back of the room.

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 16:25 - Mar 7 with 1951 viewsfactual_blue

It's now on the BBC website.

But it's only Scotland that's had no deaths. Ninety in England.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 16:27 - Mar 7 with 1942 viewsJakeITFC

Think the case numbers going up in the next fortnight is an inevitability with schools opening up (and also the introduction of greater mass testing at schools).

The question is whether that causes people to go to hospital or die I guess. One thing that may be of interest is whether we start seeing figures of vaccinated v non-vaccinated hospitalisations and deaths. Extreme example obviously, but be interesting to see if lockdown measures come in again if we see the numbers remain high in the part of the population who have been offered a jab but turned it down.
No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 16:50 - Mar 7 with 1851 views26_Paz

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 16:27 - Mar 7 by JakeITFC

Think the case numbers going up in the next fortnight is an inevitability with schools opening up (and also the introduction of greater mass testing at schools).

The question is whether that causes people to go to hospital or die I guess. One thing that may be of interest is whether we start seeing figures of vaccinated v non-vaccinated hospitalisations and deaths. Extreme example obviously, but be interesting to see if lockdown measures come in again if we see the numbers remain high in the part of the population who have been offered a jab but turned it down.

Exactly. With the vulnerable vaccinated case numbers aren’t as important. Focus will be on hospitalisations and deaths which should, in theory, continue to decrease.

The Paz Man

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 17:00 - Mar 7 with 1790 viewscbower

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 16:23 - Mar 7 by Mullet

You too mate. Are you enforcing everyone except the medically exempt wear them? DfE guidance is being interpreted that it's optional, something I'm raising. I'll be asking all pupils to wear them unless exempt or able to sit isolated and at the back of the room.

Seems to me that at our place exempt means a note from home and you get a little blue badge for your tie. Kids must sit in the seating plan so couldn't move them. Glad I am no longer SLT level though.

bluescouser

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 17:02 - Mar 7 with 1793 viewsFtnfwest

Saw a friend, who’s a secondary school teacher, today when walking the dog who said out of 1000 LF tests they’d had returned, only one was positive, so hopefully it’s a similar level country wide
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 17:14]
Login to get fewer ads

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 17:09 - Mar 7 with 1736 viewsPlums

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 16:20 - Mar 7 by cbower

Good luck to you all tomorrow and thank you for all you do.
I’m still struggling with the concept that kids whose parents haven’t consented to a test are being allowed to go to school. It’s utter madness.
FWIW as you’re in the vanguard of ending lockdown, I think you should all have been offered a jab first. If teachers were known for voting Tory, you would have done.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 17:10]

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 17:15 - Mar 7 with 1711 viewsTractorWood

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 17:02 - Mar 7 by Ftnfwest

Saw a friend, who’s a secondary school teacher, today when walking the dog who said out of 1000 LF tests they’d had returned, only one was positive, so hopefully it’s a similar level country wide

Lateral flows seem to save remarkably low positive rates. I think it's something about viral load sensitivity.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 17:15]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 17:17 - Mar 7 with 1685 viewsTractorWood

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 17:09 - Mar 7 by Plums

Good luck to you all tomorrow and thank you for all you do.
I’m still struggling with the concept that kids whose parents haven’t consented to a test are being allowed to go to school. It’s utter madness.
FWIW as you’re in the vanguard of ending lockdown, I think you should all have been offered a jab first. If teachers were known for voting Tory, you would have done.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 17:10]

I hate the Tories as much as the next man but can't bash them for prioritising the vaccine based on age group based risk.

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 17:19 - Mar 7 with 1667 viewsMullet

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 17:00 - Mar 7 by cbower

Seems to me that at our place exempt means a note from home and you get a little blue badge for your tie. Kids must sit in the seating plan so couldn't move them. Glad I am no longer SLT level though.

I think Jake has it right above. I'm never making SLT judging by recent conversations!

Hopefully R rates are more favourable this time too.

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 17:21 - Mar 7 with 1660 viewsMullet

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 17:02 - Mar 7 by Ftnfwest

These tests are notoriously unreliable compared to the ones you take through the NHS. I believe in the 60-70% range hence why they weren't rolled out previously. While that's better than nothing, with them being optional and based on prior experience I'd not put too much faith in them.

Particularly as we're not back yet which is when their effectiveness will be crucial.

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 17:29 - Mar 7 with 1614 viewsmikeybloo88

I'd really like to know, out of the 15 million people or so who've had the vaccine for more than three weeks, how many have tested positive for covid and how many have been hospitalised or worse. Surely they should know that by now?
No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 17:35 - Mar 7 with 1591 viewsTrequartista

School testing has been going on in the past week before they go back, the data shows a record 992k tests were done on Thursday and with only 6.5k positives. So even though the cases plateaued instead of dropping, we are going to pick up lots of aymptomatic cases with the school testing, so the number of symptomatic cases will still be falling.

More importantly deaths are still plummeting.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 17:45 - Mar 7 with 1549 viewsTrequartista

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 17:29 - Mar 7 by mikeybloo88

I'd really like to know, out of the 15 million people or so who've had the vaccine for more than three weeks, how many have tested positive for covid and how many have been hospitalised or worse. Surely they should know that by now?

There is some data on the first >1 million vaccines in Scotland. Its impressive considering the first million vaccines would have gone to very old people and its only 1 dose. Also immunity will continue to build after 3/4 weeks without the 2nd dose.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-vaccine-rollout-linked-to-85-and-94-drop-in-

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 18:06 - Mar 7 with 1484 viewsBlueBadger

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 17:15 - Mar 7 by TractorWood

Lateral flows seem to save remarkably low positive rates. I think it's something about viral load sensitivity.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 17:15]

No, it's because they're not overly reliable, particularly in the hands of lay people.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 22:05 - Mar 7 with 1197 viewsTractorWood

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 18:06 - Mar 7 by BlueBadger

No, it's because they're not overly reliable, particularly in the hands of lay people.

What do people get wrong? Impatient or just get it wrong.

BMJ does mention high viral loads.

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n287

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 22:14 - Mar 7 with 1176 viewsNthsuffolkblue

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 16:23 - Mar 7 by Mullet

We are enforcing unless exempt. Staggered return. Only students in tomorrow will be for testing.

As for the heading of the thread (I think it's been unpacked already and I know the data lags too) but I know someone who died with it in the past two days.

The return to schools is bound to increase the r, although testing should help to limit the size of the rise provided it doesn't lead to complacency from those who test negative.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 22:22 - Mar 7 with 1159 views26_Paz

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 22:14 - Mar 7 by Nthsuffolkblue

We are enforcing unless exempt. Staggered return. Only students in tomorrow will be for testing.

As for the heading of the thread (I think it's been unpacked already and I know the data lags too) but I know someone who died with it in the past two days.

The return to schools is bound to increase the r, although testing should help to limit the size of the rise provided it doesn't lead to complacency from those who test negative.

Figure is out now. 82 I think.

The Paz Man

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 22:26 - Mar 7 with 1143 viewsElderGrizzly

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 18:06 - Mar 7 by BlueBadger

And to make it worse, the official policy is a follow up negative PCR test is not allowed to override a potentially ‘false’ positive lateral flow test.

That’s the equivalent of the bloke on the street corner who once read google diagnosing something and it holding sway over a consultant
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 22:33]
No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 22:28 - Mar 7 with 1132 viewsNthsuffolkblue

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 22:26 - Mar 7 by ElderGrizzly

And to make it worse, the official policy is a follow up negative PCR test is not allowed to override a potentially ‘false’ positive lateral flow test.

That’s the equivalent of the bloke on the street corner who once read google diagnosing something and it holding sway over a consultant

I wasn't aware of that.

EDIT: Just looked up the r.

0.7 to 0.9 in the UK and 0.6 to 0.8 in east of England.

Won't take much for it to go above 1 again.

First day since October that deaths have been below 100 (not forgetting the weekend figures are always lower too).

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 22:32 - Mar 7 with 1115 viewsElderGrizzly

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 22:28 - Mar 7 by Nthsuffolkblue

I wasn't aware of that.

EDIT: Just looked up the r.

0.7 to 0.9 in the UK and 0.6 to 0.8 in east of England.

Won't take much for it to go above 1 again.

First day since October that deaths have been below 100 (not forgetting the weekend figures are always lower too).

Yep. It is ridiculous policy, but not unexpected from this shower of clowns
No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 22:36 - Mar 7 with 1089 viewsNthsuffolkblue

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 22:32 - Mar 7 by ElderGrizzly

Yep. It is ridiculous policy, but not unexpected from this shower of clowns

They're doing their best (for their mates).

No COVID deaths for 24 hrs? on 22:39 - Mar 7 with 1078 viewsCotty

We are a long long way off 0 deaths unfortunately. I am facing classrooms of 70+ unvaccinated students in the not so distant future, so completely understand the anxiety. Good luck.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024