Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it scandalous that.... 14:42 - Mar 8 with 1140 viewsCrawfordsboot

On international women’s day when there is a flood of articles arguing equal pay for all sorts of female sports stars the Australian men’s netball team has to contribute $2,000 each to cover expenses whilst the women can earn up to $150,000 each! :)

Or is it instead a situation where we should only be concerned with equal opportunity. By that I mean equal opportunity to market the men’s or women’s game to an audience and sponsors. The athlete, male or female, should then be free to earn whatever the market will pay.

So:

Equal pay for offering up sport of equal entertainment and marketing value - yes
But
Equal pay for simply playing the same sport - no.

Is it scandalous that.... on 14:49 - Mar 8 with 1079 viewsJ2BLUE

It wasn't a popular opinion but I argued once on here that, using football as an example, the WSL is not comparable to the Premier League so obviously the pay difference is justified but I believe women should receive the same amount for playing for England as they are both representing their country.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Is it scandalous that.... on 15:03 - Mar 8 with 1036 viewsCrawfordsboot

Is it scandalous that.... on 14:49 - Mar 8 by J2BLUE

It wasn't a popular opinion but I argued once on here that, using football as an example, the WSL is not comparable to the Premier League so obviously the pay difference is justified but I believe women should receive the same amount for playing for England as they are both representing their country.

Not sure that I agree with your final point.

If Aussie men got paid the same as Aussie women for representing Oz at netball they would in effect be getting a free ride on the back of the women’s game when the reality is that the audience for the men’s game is very limited.
Is it scandalous that.... on 15:18 - Mar 8 with 987 viewsWacko

Is it scandalous that.... on 15:03 - Mar 8 by Crawfordsboot

Not sure that I agree with your final point.

If Aussie men got paid the same as Aussie women for representing Oz at netball they would in effect be getting a free ride on the back of the women’s game when the reality is that the audience for the men’s game is very limited.

I think it has to be a sport-by-sport basis - I imagine men's football is one of the few team games where playing for your club is more lucrative than playing for your country

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Is it scandalous that.... on 16:32 - Mar 8 with 880 viewsCrawfordsboot

Is it scandalous that.... on 15:18 - Mar 8 by Wacko

I think it has to be a sport-by-sport basis - I imagine men's football is one of the few team games where playing for your club is more lucrative than playing for your country

But surely the basic point is that professional sport is all about entertainment and what will the market pay. Anything else means those in demand subsidising those that are not.

We don't do that in other forms of entertainment.

Oh! except Opera and ballet but that argument is for another day :-)

p.s.though not team games Golf/Tennis/Cycling for starters
[Post edited 8 Mar 2021 16:35]
Is it scandalous that.... on 16:41 - Mar 8 with 848 viewsParsley

I agree with the sentiment and have argued the same myself previously but my view now is that with male sport so ingrained in society the opportunity will never be there for female athletes unless the funding is in place first (similar to the positive discrimination argument). I think it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation in that I'd hope equal pay will eventually be achieved but that unless there are some proactive steps taken then it will take such a long time.
Is it scandalous that.... on 16:42 - Mar 8 with 848 viewsRadlett_blue

Is it scandalous that.... on 14:49 - Mar 8 by J2BLUE

Sports players, male or female, should get what the market dictates. The idea that those whose sport is watched by 2,000 people should get the same as those which attracts the interest of 2m people is beyond absurd & you might as well argue that the marbles world champion should get as much as Roger Federer.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Is it scandalous that.... on 17:01 - Mar 8 with 808 viewsTJS

The biggest problem with women's sport is that women don't watch it.
Is it scandalous that.... on 17:26 - Mar 8 with 784 viewsRadlett_blue

Is it scandalous that.... on 17:01 - Mar 8 by TJS

The biggest problem with women's sport is that women don't watch it.

Partly that, but the bigger problem is that the majority of sports viewers are male & most of them don't want to watch an inferior version of their chosen sport either.

Login to get fewer ads

Is it scandalous that.... on 17:34 - Mar 8 with 769 viewsCrawfordsboot

Is it scandalous that.... on 17:26 - Mar 8 by Radlett_blue

Partly that, but the bigger problem is that the majority of sports viewers are male & most of them don't want to watch an inferior version of their chosen sport either.

Good point.
The website “statists” reports that of those who watch sport 76% are men, 22% women and 2% who prefer not to say.
Is it scandalous that.... on 17:47 - Mar 8 with 739 viewsJ2BLUE

Is it scandalous that.... on 16:42 - Mar 8 by Radlett_blue

Sports players, male or female, should get what the market dictates. The idea that those whose sport is watched by 2,000 people should get the same as those which attracts the interest of 2m people is beyond absurd & you might as well argue that the marbles world champion should get as much as Roger Federer.

You've really knocked down your own straw man there.

When it comes to individual careers I agree. When it comes to representing your country. Again, take football, where we send the best 23 we have for both men and women to the world cup I think the pay should be equal.

Just my opinion.

Truly impaired.

Is it scandalous that.... on 17:58 - Mar 8 with 717 viewsRadlett_blue

Is it scandalous that.... on 17:47 - Mar 8 by J2BLUE

You've really knocked down your own straw man there.

When it comes to individual careers I agree. When it comes to representing your country. Again, take football, where we send the best 23 we have for both men and women to the world cup I think the pay should be equal.

Just my opinion.

Football is different because male England international players are all paid many £ms a year by their clubs so what they get for representing their country is near irrelevant & I believe they give their fees to charity.
Rugby is a better example. Do you think female rugby players should be paid the same as male, although a male match will fill Twickenham at £80 a head, while a women's international is lucky to attract 10,000, each paying a fraction of the cost of a men's game?

Is it scandalous that.... on 18:31 - Mar 8 with 671 viewsJ2BLUE

Is it scandalous that.... on 17:58 - Mar 8 by Radlett_blue

Football is different because male England international players are all paid many £ms a year by their clubs so what they get for representing their country is near irrelevant & I believe they give their fees to charity.
Rugby is a better example. Do you think female rugby players should be paid the same as male, although a male match will fill Twickenham at £80 a head, while a women's international is lucky to attract 10,000, each paying a fraction of the cost of a men's game?

Short answer: yes

Long answer:

Yes. I feel like footballers in the Premier League compared to the WSL is like being the CEO of Apple compared to being the CEO of a small local company. There's a big difference in pay and rightfully so.

I feel like international duty is men and women doing the same job in the same company and the pay should be equal yes.

Again, just my opinion. Of course you could muddy the waters by saying they could be paid the same base amount and then the men earn more in 'commission' but for something like sport I don't think that should apply.

Truly impaired.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024