Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... 09:12 - Mar 10 with 2691 viewsitfcjoe

....Lincoln a tough side to play against as incredibly well organised in both an attacking and defensive sense, very well coached in all phases.

Think there was a fear on the ball at times when we got into final third, that is something that seems bred into us as a team, plus I think we were rightly concerned about turning the ball over when you saw the pace on their flanks.

We just need to be a bit braver at times, and also show better quality when we do get chances to create something. Edwards struggled with his final touch/ball, and when we were chasing an equaliser there was a 5 minute spell when things opened up 3 times.

Dozzell lovely exchange of passes with Lankester in middle - drives forward - 25-30 yards from goal....tries to pass and it is behind Norwood who makes a bad run

Decent ball from Toto down wing to Norwood, his cross drops to Bishop who is 1 v 1 with a defender in the box......passes back to Dozzell and ends up with Kenlock and breaks down

Lankester striding foward with real purpose, things opening up nicely and rather than hammer a shot at goal he tries to play in Norwood who checks his run and ball comes to nothing.

There were a few other ones mostly out wide, but this attempt to score the perfect goal is why we have so few shots and create so little chances - players need to just shoot sometimes, and have strikers aware for rebounds.

There were some promising signs, but think some fans are underestimating how organised Lincoln were, and how quick on the break they were......their away record is exceptional and easy to see why.

Over the last 6 games we've played 5 of the top 8 and picked up 11 points, very good return - we are in a position now where we have 12 of 14 games remaining against bottom half teams and we just need to play ourselves into form and gain some momentum

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:15 - Mar 10 with 2154 viewsBseaBlue

Very fair summary Joe, but I just don't see where the goals are coming from, particularly against sides that are going to stick ten men against the ball and play for a point that we have to expect with the games we have.

Lankester looks completely shot of confidence. Hopefully that will come back with games. Jackson has to be worth a shot out wide as he can't do any worse than Bennets/Edwards have done?
Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:15 - Mar 10 with 2155 viewsKieran_Knows

Felt to me, certainly in the second half, that if we was able to find another gear or 2, we'd have won that quite comfortably. But then again, you could've said that about most teams we've faced this season.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:19 - Mar 10 with 2115 viewstextbackup

"but think some fans are underestimating how...."

thought this was going to go on to say ".....much of a job PC has got at getting his fresh attacking ideas across to the players that have spent 3 years looking backwards"

if his first point, in only 2nd game, has come against a team as good as Lincoln are then that gives me hope.

whatever happens I think we'll see 4/5 new first team players next season, to give this place a proper new look. I fear too many of ours have a losers mentality, and I cant see that sitting well with PC, as he comes across nothing but a winner

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:28 - Mar 10 with 2048 viewsPJH

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:15 - Mar 10 by BseaBlue

Very fair summary Joe, but I just don't see where the goals are coming from, particularly against sides that are going to stick ten men against the ball and play for a point that we have to expect with the games we have.

Lankester looks completely shot of confidence. Hopefully that will come back with games. Jackson has to be worth a shot out wide as he can't do any worse than Bennets/Edwards have done?

I would think that Thomas should be given a start, assuming that he is fit, because although he has not looked much in his brief appearances so far he could well be an improvement on Bennetts and Edwards.

I think Bennnetts has got ability, it is just that he does not seem to do the right things and the right times.

Edwards was signed because he was apparently a good third division player but he seems to have gone backwards because he no longer looks like a good third division player.
Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:29 - Mar 10 with 2042 viewsitfcjoe

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:15 - Mar 10 by BseaBlue

Most teams when they stick 10 behind the ball aren't so dangerous on the break so you can take bigger risks against them - but we do need someone to have a shot every now and again!

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:29 - Mar 10 with 2036 viewsKieran_Knows

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:28 - Mar 10 by PJH

I would think that Thomas should be given a start, assuming that he is fit, because although he has not looked much in his brief appearances so far he could well be an improvement on Bennetts and Edwards.

I think Bennnetts has got ability, it is just that he does not seem to do the right things and the right times.

Edwards was signed because he was apparently a good third division player but he seems to have gone backwards because he no longer looks like a good third division player.

I had heard, although this was under previous management, that Thomas would rather have gone back and played for Barnsley's 23's side than here....

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:29 - Mar 10 with 2037 viewsitfcjoe

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:15 - Mar 10 by Kieran_Knows

Felt to me, certainly in the second half, that if we was able to find another gear or 2, we'd have won that quite comfortably. But then again, you could've said that about most teams we've faced this season.

They were quite happy to sit back and look to hit us - was a bit of a chess match in the end. They are a team perfectly set up to play away from home as their record indicates

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:30 - Mar 10 with 2026 viewsBseaBlue

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:29 - Mar 10 by itfcjoe

Most teams when they stick 10 behind the ball aren't so dangerous on the break so you can take bigger risks against them - but we do need someone to have a shot every now and again!

Ha, it's the taking risks which is the worry at the moment! Hopefully that will come under Cook's tenure. He needs to get the likes of Dozzell to start taking games by the scruff of the neck and forcing the issue.
Login to get fewer ads

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:31 - Mar 10 with 2027 viewsitfcjoe

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:19 - Mar 10 by textbackup

"but think some fans are underestimating how...."

thought this was going to go on to say ".....much of a job PC has got at getting his fresh attacking ideas across to the players that have spent 3 years looking backwards"

if his first point, in only 2nd game, has come against a team as good as Lincoln are then that gives me hope.

whatever happens I think we'll see 4/5 new first team players next season, to give this place a proper new look. I fear too many of ours have a losers mentality, and I cant see that sitting well with PC, as he comes across nothing but a winner

That's the reality of League 1 football though, 4-5 new faces every season.....anyone very good gets sold, anyone very bad gets replaced and anyone in between stays!

14 games left, play offs is there for the taking - and if we make it then we've found a way to score goals so will be in with a shout

We won't be able to stumble our way into it from here, if we are in it then we are in good form

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:32 - Mar 10 with 2014 viewsIpswichKnight

Said elsewhere that we should have had a go a few times from outside the box, yes it could fly out of the ground but equally it could go into the top corner or deflect and wrong foot the keeper. If we start doing that regularly teams will have to close the space and that then allows for us to make quick pass and goes and or drive past that defender and into the penalty area.

Think we will see PC give the teams he selects 2/3 games to play his way before changing it to try and find an 11 that will work and get the chances and goals.
Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:33 - Mar 10 with 2004 viewsBseaBlue

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:28 - Mar 10 by PJH

I didn't think he looked up to much prior to his injury but probably deserves another chance. Bennetts has similarities to Dozzell. Both look as though they have so much ability but don't do enough to show it in games.

Edwards was our best player before he got injured this season. Since the injury he has looked incredibly poor. The fact he has 5 goals and hasn't scored since October says it all...
Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:33 - Mar 10 with 2001 viewshype313

Lincoln are a side who have got a settled style of play, over time they have got an identity, to go toe to toe with them last night was a good sign, that would have been a 0-3 loss under Lambert.

Shame we couldn't get Morgan Rogers on loan in January, he's a baller.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:37 - Mar 10 with 1978 viewsHerbivore

Think that's a fair summary, Joe. I thought we looked not too far off being decent, we were certainly trying to play on the front foot for most of the game. We were let down by poor decision making and poor execution time and again when we got ourselves into decent areas but for me there was enough in the performance to feel reasonably heartened.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:41 - Mar 10 with 1926 viewsBseaBlue

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:33 - Mar 10 by hype313

Lincoln are a side who have got a settled style of play, over time they have got an identity, to go toe to toe with them last night was a good sign, that would have been a 0-3 loss under Lambert.

Shame we couldn't get Morgan Rogers on loan in January, he's a baller.

Rogers has 5/6 goals now doesn't he? Would make him our joint top scorer
Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:41 - Mar 10 with 1917 viewsArnieM

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:30 - Mar 10 by BseaBlue

Ha, it's the taking risks which is the worry at the moment! Hopefully that will come under Cook's tenure. He needs to get the likes of Dozzell to start taking games by the scruff of the neck and forcing the issue.

And how long have we been saying that about Dozzell now, 3years?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:44 - Mar 10 with 1904 viewsBseaBlue

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:41 - Mar 10 by ArnieM

And how long have we been saying that about Dozzell now, 3years?

True although from what I've read, I'm not sure Lambert has really given him the platform to do it in that players have been coached to retain the ball, go backwards if needed etc.

We need him to be given the freedom to take risks and be braver. I think Cook could be just the person to get that out of him.
Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:45 - Mar 10 with 1891 viewsblueislander

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:37 - Mar 10 by Herbivore

Think that's a fair summary, Joe. I thought we looked not too far off being decent, we were certainly trying to play on the front foot for most of the game. We were let down by poor decision making and poor execution time and again when we got ourselves into decent areas but for me there was enough in the performance to feel reasonably heartened.

Cook must be getting closer to knowing what his best 11 is. I reckon that Judge would be in that, and will play in the middle of the three. I would like to see Bishop on the right of the three. We don’t seem to have a good enough striker though. Is he likely to favor Woolfenden over Nsiala for his ability on the ball?
[Post edited 10 Mar 2021 9:48]
Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:47 - Mar 10 with 1878 viewsSteve_M

Yes, agree with that.

I thought we were very frustrating at times, overly cautious and making poor decisions in attacking areas. I suppose I was a bit disappointed that the increased confidence from recent wins seemed quite fragile but, really, it's only to be expected after the last three years. I think a crowd would have helped us a bit yesterday, the game went very flat early in the second half so then and, especially, after the goal.

Lincoln were very good, well organised and dangerous on the break. I did wonder if they have enough goal threat for the top two and they sat back a bit too much when they probably should have seen out the win.

The improvement in set piece goals in recent matches is welcome, shows what coaching and practice can achieve which bodes well for the improvement that Cook can bring.

We're well placed now for the run in, just a shame Cook won't have had longer with the squad. Get a win on Saturday though and then go from there.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:49 - Mar 10 with 1865 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:29 - Mar 10 by itfcjoe

Yes the amount of times we should have had a shot and didn't was alarming. But you can just tell Cook will address that.

Lincoln clearly decent, as you said, and very well organised. But they sat back almost unnecessarily in the second half which surprised me.

At least we're likely to have an exciting end to the season.
Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:56 - Mar 10 with 1829 viewsSomethingBlue

Agree with this and good examples re final third. It was maddening at times but showed pretty well where we are at the moment.

As Steve has suggested — I did think Lincoln sat in too early. In a lot of these games we've conceded the second goal as well and then that's us done. They could have done that to us last night and I was surprised they didn't ask many more questions after going ahead.

It's not looking awful though — top six again if we beat Plymouth and that counts as a minor achievement given recent context. I'd back us to stay there if we can get in.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:56 - Mar 10 with 1824 viewsjayessess

I wonder if the starting point might be a keep it simple stupid "shoot on sight" policy? We're clearly struggling to get the timing/weight/decisions right on through balls at the moment. Just having a crack whenever we can would mean fewer moves ending without any attempt on goal, fewer bad turnovers, more tempo, more pressure on the opposition.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 10:02 - Mar 10 with 1793 viewsJohnny_Boy

Unsure if it’s been mentioned yet, but Appleton has been extremely clever in the loan market.
He’s certainly targeted young hungry attacking players from divisions above L1. Granted, these can’t always work out, but it’s been successful for Lincoln.
Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 10:05 - Mar 10 with 1750 viewstractorboy1978

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 10:02 - Mar 10 by Johnny_Boy

Unsure if it’s been mentioned yet, but Appleton has been extremely clever in the loan market.
He’s certainly targeted young hungry attacking players from divisions above L1. Granted, these can’t always work out, but it’s been successful for Lincoln.

Flip side, Thomas, Harrop, Bennetts, Parrott have all come here in similar circumstances and in the case of the first two, far more experience. The big difference last night for me, was they looked like a team that has been well coached and drilled over a sustained period of time.
Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 10:05 - Mar 10 with 1749 viewsRadlett_blue

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 09:56 - Mar 10 by SomethingBlue

Agree with this and good examples re final third. It was maddening at times but showed pretty well where we are at the moment.

As Steve has suggested — I did think Lincoln sat in too early. In a lot of these games we've conceded the second goal as well and then that's us done. They could have done that to us last night and I was surprised they didn't ask many more questions after going ahead.

It's not looking awful though — top six again if we beat Plymouth and that counts as a minor achievement given recent context. I'd back us to stay there if we can get in.

3 shots at goal over 90 minutes - last night was another example of how Town offer a negligible goal threat. We create absolutely nothing from open play & while there were signs in the first half of a greater urgency to move the ball, we kept losing it & Lincoln were good enough to take advantage. Cook has a huge job here to turn Town into a football team & with only 2 weeks without a midweek game until the end of the season, he has very little opportunity to do it.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 10:06 - Mar 10 with 1739 viewsjayessess

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 10:02 - Mar 10 by Johnny_Boy

Rogers and Johnson v. Thomas and Bennetts. Absolutely no contest really.
What's happening in their recruitment department that isn't in ours?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024