Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Luke Woolfenden. 07:22 - Mar 14 with 2750 viewsOwainG1992

So let me start by saying the best CB partnership I've seen this season has been Toto and Wilson.

Wilson potential candidate for POTY.

Which is unfortunate for Luke.

He isn't going to want to be left out of matchday squads in league one.

Could we perhaps see him push for a transfer to a more established Championship team come the summer?

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Luke Woolfenden. on 07:27 - Mar 14 with 2697 viewsjonbull88

Luke will have a decent career, however atm it’s not working for him and for me he wouldn’t get anywhere near a championship first team.
Luke Woolfenden. on 08:03 - Mar 14 with 2542 viewsSteve_M

At what point this season has Luke Wolfenden played well enough to establish himself as a League 1 player let alone demonstrate he could play in the Championship?

There’s a lot of potential there but for various reasons, not all his fault, this has not been a good season for Luke whose form also tailed off badly at the end of last season.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Luke Woolfenden. on 08:05 - Mar 14 with 2522 viewsArnieM

I remember an interview LW did earlier this season when there was talk of clubs being interested in him and Downes , and what struck firmly between the eyes about him, was just his laid back he was. He himself said the manager wanted more personal vooomph from him .

After listening to him in that interview I was almost immediately at ease with any notion that he would be going anywhere because he simply doesn’t have that “ drive”, unlike Downes . This doesn’t mean to say he’s not ambitious, but just that he lacks the personal impetus to seek it.

If a club comes calling , maybe he’d consider it . But he comes across as a home club boy who is by and large happy with his lot, which is almost refreshing in this modern day game . To try snd get my impression of him across , I wouldn’t ( after listening to that interview) currently view him as a natural “ leader” or captain material .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Luke Woolfenden. on 08:33 - Mar 14 with 2396 viewsHeadWestBlue

From what we here is that Woolfenden did well at Bromley, continued to grow at Swindon aged 19 /20. Had a great first season at Town aged 20/21 which attracted Premier League and Championship interest.

This season, still as a young centre half, he has not met his own high standards that he set last year. After what I saw last season I cannot believe he personally chose to play the style we saw out of him earlier this year.

The real question around Woolfenden should be how do we plan to continue his development?

Equally, this must be balanced with his own personal ambition and desire.

It would be a real shame for a club which prides itself of the development of youth not to be able to further develop the talent we saw last year.

If we do not intend to play or develop him we should let him go if someone else comes in for him. Not put up an argument that he his worth more.

But at the same time, in a year or two, let’s not cry over spilt milk if another club does come in for him and get a tune out of him.

He has talent - but who will unleash it?
[Post edited 14 Mar 2021 8:35]
Luke Woolfenden. on 08:37 - Mar 14 with 2360 viewsKeaneish

Luke Woolfenden. on 08:03 - Mar 14 by Steve_M

At what point this season has Luke Wolfenden played well enough to establish himself as a League 1 player let alone demonstrate he could play in the Championship?

There’s a lot of potential there but for various reasons, not all his fault, this has not been a good season for Luke whose form also tailed off badly at the end of last season.

I don’t think we can assess Wolfenden’s season fairly without contextualising a few things. Partnering McGuiness for so long was no doubt a bad move. Too similar and too inexperienced to partner each other. PL never got the balance right. I’d argue we haven’t got the balance right now and Wolfenden would thrive alongside Wilson for the remainder of the season with the tweaks Cook has made but Toto won’t be dropped now, it wouldn’t make sense.

Playing a deeper line never helped Wolfenden and McGuiness and neither did PLs ponderous passing out from deep in our 18-yard box. Wolfenden is a victim of poor management in my opinion as many have been.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Luke Woolfenden. on 08:52 - Mar 14 with 2272 viewsFixed_It

Luke Woolfenden. on 08:03 - Mar 14 by Steve_M

I think playing as the 'senior' centre-back alongside McGuiness has hampered him. He needs to be developing alongside a more experienced partner. The talent is clearly there.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Luke Woolfenden. on 09:13 - Mar 14 with 2180 viewsYallop

Didn't show enough of the defend at all costs attitude this season for me. He needs to go back to basics, the pretty stuff will come later.
Luke Woolfenden. on 09:21 - Mar 14 with 2132 viewsHerbivore

Luke Woolfenden. on 08:52 - Mar 14 by Fixed_It

I think playing as the 'senior' centre-back alongside McGuiness has hampered him. He needs to be developing alongside a more experienced partner. The talent is clearly there.

Absolutely this. When we signed McGuiness I said that it was a signing that made no sense as we couldn't partner him with Woolf and if we're playing him instead of Woolf then that's madness. Sadly we did try to play them together and they both struggled. Woolf has a lot of potential but he needs some help himself, not to be the senior partner helping a complete novice through the game. I also think there were some issues between him and Lambert reading between the lines, which likely haven't helped him. I'd like to see Woolf given a run alongside Chambers or Wilson.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Luke Woolfenden. on 09:53 - Mar 14 with 2011 viewsjayessess

He's very unlikely to get a move if he can't get in our first team, realistically.
Everyone needs a bit of patience here. 21 is still young. It's very young for a centre half.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Luke Woolfenden. on 12:41 - Mar 14 with 1792 viewsGarv

Seems Lambert was right when he said he needed to perform better.

He'll have his time I think. As someone else said, he's really young for a CB.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Luke Woolfenden. on 12:49 - Mar 14 with 1767 viewspointofblue

He might ask for a transfer but it’ll be to a League One club where he will probably thrive. I sense Cook may have asked him for patience for this season and he will be integrated over the summer - unless injury results in him returning earlier.

My bigger concern is he isn’t around the match day squad and I have to wonder how he and Cook are both managing that. It’ll be interesting to see who takes Downes’ place in the 18 should he be missing on Tuesday.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Luke Woolfenden. on 13:11 - Mar 14 with 1704 viewspointofblue

Luke Woolfenden. on 09:53 - Mar 14 by jayessess

He's very unlikely to get a move if he can't get in our first team, realistically.
Everyone needs a bit of patience here. 21 is still young. It's very young for a centre half.

Though normally when a young player comes into the XI for a long period they normally develop and progress - not suddenly disappear from the first team squad completely.

Luke Woolfenden. on 13:39 - Mar 14 with 1639 viewsjayessess

Luke Woolfenden. on 13:11 - Mar 14 by pointofblue

Though normally when a young player comes into the XI for a long period they normally develop and progress - not suddenly disappear from the first team squad completely.

I think young players have ups and downs, that's normal.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Luke Woolfenden. on 13:47 - Mar 14 with 1619 viewsRedX

Luke Woolfenden. on 08:05 - Mar 14 by ArnieM

I remember an interview LW did earlier this season when there was talk of clubs being interested in him and Downes , and what struck firmly between the eyes about him, was just his laid back he was. He himself said the manager wanted more personal vooomph from him .

After listening to him in that interview I was almost immediately at ease with any notion that he would be going anywhere because he simply doesn’t have that “ drive”, unlike Downes . This doesn’t mean to say he’s not ambitious, but just that he lacks the personal impetus to seek it.

If a club comes calling , maybe he’d consider it . But he comes across as a home club boy who is by and large happy with his lot, which is almost refreshing in this modern day game . To try snd get my impression of him across , I wouldn’t ( after listening to that interview) currently view him as a natural “ leader” or captain material .

A pre-season spent listening and training under someone like Paul Cook should see Luke gain that "vooomph" in his play. If that doesn't happen, he won't be playing many more games under Cook.
Luke Woolfenden. on 13:52 - Mar 14 with 1603 viewsjas0999

Sadly, Luke has been very average this season. The more established and experienced Wilson is what we need at the moment.
Luke Woolfenden. on 14:04 - Mar 14 with 1562 viewspointofblue

Luke Woolfenden. on 13:52 - Mar 14 by jas0999

Sadly, Luke has been very average this season. The more established and experienced Wilson is what we need at the moment.

As said he’s been average because he’s been dumped on from a great height via team selection and tactics - I have no doubt he would have looked much better in a backline of Donacien - Woolfenden - Chambers - Kenlock or Ward. And in fairness, the same can probably be said for McGuinness too.

Luke Woolfenden. on 14:54 - Mar 14 with 1477 viewsTheBoyBlue

Hope we keep Woolfy. Good to have any from him, Toto and Wilson as back-up.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024