Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away 13:06 - Mar 15 with 3100 viewsitfcjoe

A very strange quirk of the fixture list - with all this travelling and short turnarounds not going to be ideal.

Got 2 runs of 3 away games in a row - starting tomorrow.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 13:12 - Mar 15 with 2997 viewsDyland

A bit of travel never hurt anyone, especially as our players are super fit and not injury pro... oh.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 13:13 - Mar 15 with 2984 viewsHerbivore

Although 8 of the 9 sides we still have to play away from home have lost more home games than they've won, so we don't have too much to fear from the fixtures themselves. Fleetwood actually have the best home record of the sides we've still got to travel to.

The travelling itself of course is less than ideal and cuts into the time Cook can spend working with the players. The period between the Pompey game and Bristol Rovers at home where we only have one game in 13 days feels huge in terms of Cook putting his stamp on things.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 13:13 - Mar 15 with 2987 viewsWallingford_Boy

On the plus side, no fans means away matches are not as tough as usual, not so intimidating.

But yeah the travelling is far from ideal.

RIP Sir Bobby

13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 13:19 - Mar 15 with 2932 viewsclive_baker

Sure is a bit odd, especially considering 2 of our last 4 are at home. So that means 7 of the next 9 are away.

I like the look of our final 5 games to be fair. I'm hoping 1 or 2 of Wimbledon, Northampton, Swindon will be gone by the time we play them, and Shrewsbury and Fleetwood in the final 2 games will probably be safely in midtable.

I'm looking at the next 8 as the bulk that'll shape our season. They come thick and fast and as you say a lot of travel, but no reason why they can't yield points.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 13:23 - Mar 15 with 2883 viewsSteve_M

Fortunately that second run - Wimbledon, Charlton, Northampton - are three of our shorter trips. Fleetwood is the last of our long midweek trips until Shrewsbury but if we're still pushing then with four days left of the season I doubt anyone will mind too much.

Hopefully a couple of weeks with no midweek game after this one just provides a bit of a breathing space for Cook and the squad.

Edit: A real shame, for the 583rd time this season, that there are no fans. Charlton and Swindon would be sold out away ends.
[Post edited 15 Mar 2021 13:24]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 13:28 - Mar 15 with 2838 viewsSWGF

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 13:32 - Mar 15 with 2787 viewsNthQldITFC

13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 13:28 - Mar 15 by SWGF

Wow, that's quite an outlier and should give us some confidence.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 13:33 - Mar 15 with 2775 viewsDarth_Koont

On the other hand, with no real home advantage from crowds, might be a good opportunity to get a good team/squad spirit going.

I think that’s going to be the most important factor in a) moving on from Lambert’s often disorganized shambles and b) getting through the run-in.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 13:38 - Mar 15 with 2743 viewsX0Y0

Despite the number of away games, I think the remaining fixture list is very kind - as the PPG of remaining opponents shows.

A number of the teams around us still have to play one another, so there will be lots of points dropped. I wouldn't be surprised if one of Doncaster or Sunderland only scraped in to the play offs.
- Sunderland: Accrington x2, Lincoln, Oxford, Peterborough, Charlton, Hull
- Doncaster: Oxford, Charlton, Accrington, Peterborough (x2)
[Post edited 15 Mar 2021 13:39]
13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 13:40 - Mar 15 with 2710 viewssuffolkpoker

Looks like we teams previously have got top 6 with 71 to 73 points.

We are need to average 1.5+ points

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 13:51 - Mar 15 with 2628 viewsWallingford_Boy

And in addition to what I said, more of the top 8 have better away records than home, very unusual, just underlines that home is less of an advantage this season.

RIP Sir Bobby

13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 13:55 - Mar 15 with 2602 viewsSWGF

13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 13:38 - Mar 15 by X0Y0

Despite the number of away games, I think the remaining fixture list is very kind - as the PPG of remaining opponents shows.

A number of the teams around us still have to play one another, so there will be lots of points dropped. I wouldn't be surprised if one of Doncaster or Sunderland only scraped in to the play offs.
- Sunderland: Accrington x2, Lincoln, Oxford, Peterborough, Charlton, Hull
- Doncaster: Oxford, Charlton, Accrington, Peterborough (x2)
[Post edited 15 Mar 2021 13:39]

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?

13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 13:57 - Mar 15 with 2581 viewsSWGF

13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 13:32 - Mar 15 by NthQldITFC

Wow, that's quite an outlier and should give us some confidence.

Of course, teams towards the bottom of the league have all to play for, however we've done well against these teams, historically, with Lambert in charge, almost certainly due to simply having better players at the time and relying on them to do something. This time round, we've also got a better manager...

13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 14:18 - Mar 15 with 2466 viewsclive_baker

13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 13:57 - Mar 15 by SWGF

Of course, teams towards the bottom of the league have all to play for, however we've done well against these teams, historically, with Lambert in charge, almost certainly due to simply having better players at the time and relying on them to do something. This time round, we've also got a better manager...

I think that's a fair point around having something to play for. Sometimes in the final weeks of the season the ones 4th bottom are harder than midtable. There's not a huge amount of difference in quality between a MK Dons or a Swindon to be fair, so the ones with something to play for and really up for it are the most dangerous. I'm hoping we play 1 or 2 of them late enough where they're already gone or all but gone.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 14:31 - Mar 15 with 2403 viewsChurchman

It is odd but then so is the season. Last nine home games = 3 wins, 3 draws, 3 losses. Away form: not massively different. Without crowds I think home advantage is reduced.
13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 14:34 - Mar 15 with 2374 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 13:23 - Mar 15 by Steve_M

Fortunately that second run - Wimbledon, Charlton, Northampton - are three of our shorter trips. Fleetwood is the last of our long midweek trips until Shrewsbury but if we're still pushing then with four days left of the season I doubt anyone will mind too much.

Hopefully a couple of weeks with no midweek game after this one just provides a bit of a breathing space for Cook and the squad.

Edit: A real shame, for the 583rd time this season, that there are no fans. Charlton and Swindon would be sold out away ends.

I do remember one season we sold out both ends at Swindon - the only time I can remember this happening!
13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 16:13 - Mar 15 with 2131 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Maybe they just have fewer ppg because they haven't played us yet. Fleetwood and Wimbledon haven't played us twice.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 16:23 - Mar 15 with 2083 viewschrismakin

We are going to need everyone onboard for these remaining games. The squad itself will finally show if having a big squad has helped us this season.

Lots of travel. Minimal training time. On paper it's a kind run in but footballs not played on paper.

We need the likes of norwood to stop pssing about with instgram videos and concentrate on football. If he wants out in the summer let him go.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 16:27 - Mar 15 with 2065 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I'm pleased we have PC in place rather than PL.

PL would be using this stat to fill the place with negativity and ready made excuses.

We sit in the play offs as we speak, and all said we have a very kind run in.

No excuses, the size of our squad affords us a lot more selection options than our opposition.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 18:47 - Mar 15 with 1912 viewsRadlett_blue

13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 13:23 - Mar 15 by Steve_M

Yes, when the fixtures came out I was hopeful that fans would be back by Charlton & it's an afternoon game as well.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

next 3 are the toughest and furthest.... season defining on 19:59 - Mar 15 with 1788 viewsunstableblue

Fleetwood and Wigan are on form, Wigan manager will want to prove something, Pompey may get a new manager bounce.

At least we have the week break ahead of the long trip to Wigan, get some new ideas into squad

If you’d ask 30 mins into Saturday I’d bullish for 7 points.... but Downes a big loss. Skuse has the pedigree and wisdom... but not the pace, energy and drive of Downes.. see Downes excellent run ... bishop looking tired... and norwood needs to be playing and scoring

Chance for cook to prove himself, hopefully Edwards and AN Other will play into form

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 06:41 - Mar 16 with 1531 viewsHighgateBlue

13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 13:40 - Mar 15 by suffolkpoker

Looks like we teams previously have got top 6 with 71 to 73 points.

We are need to average 1.5+ points

In that case we need to average a little /less/ than what Lambert was averaging this season before he was sacked, which is a little /more/ than what Cook has so far managed.

I'm being slightly mischievous. I have confidence in Cook to get us to the playoffs. COYB!
13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 06:49 - Mar 16 with 1522 viewsgordon

Isnt it because we've had away games called off for weather & covid - Fleetwood and Shrewsbury away were called off and rearranged, think there were also two more away games that got cancelled around Christmas?
13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 11:11 - Mar 16 with 1361 viewsJammyDodgerrr

13 games left - 4 at home and 9 away on 13:55 - Mar 15 by SWGF

I know it's not as simple as this, but our run in is so easy, especially now Jackett and Bowyer have gone. I know we won't but we should win all of those except maybe Portsmouth who we probably draw with.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024