Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I know its sad news about the takeover but... 23:31 - Mar 15 with 1999 viewsIpswich_Crazy

Remember before Marcus Evans came to buy ITFC? Just think what would of happened if Marcus Evans didn't but ITFC? Where would we be now? An AFC Ipswich club? or nonexistence? We have to be thankful for Marcus Evans for saving us, yes he doesn't invest much but without him, we could have gone out of business.

Poll: Are fans getting fed up with Sky Sports changing our Kick off schedules?

I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 23:36 - Mar 15 with 1831 viewsIpswich24

Or a more competent owner could of took over and we may be back in Premier League?

Poll: Who would you like to be manager out of these?

I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 23:41 - Mar 15 with 1819 viewsIpswich_Crazy

I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 23:36 - Mar 15 by Ipswich24

Or a more competent owner could of took over and we may be back in Premier League?

You're missing my point. yes would have been nice but that didn't happen.

I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 23:47 - Mar 15 with 1789 viewsSeablu

Could have....
Ffs.
I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 00:01 - Mar 16 with 1763 viewsChurchman

I’m sure your post is a wind up. Bored Norwich supporter I presume? Well done,
I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 00:03 - Mar 16 with 1751 viewsjeera

I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 00:01 - Mar 16 by Churchman

Hey Churchers.

PM sent.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 00:09 - Mar 16 with 1748 viewschrismakin

For something that could have been exciting, it's been a painful ride.

My summary of M.E as an owner
Bought the club as a get rich quick scheme, Sheepshanks sold it as a dead cert, all he needed to do was Invest a bit of money to begin with. He gladly spent a fair bit of money, didn't work, spent a bit more, still didn't work then got stuck with owning the club.
He can put in a bit of cash to keep it afloat, can invest to help on the playing staff side of things, but hasn't directed any of the finances where it matters.. Sports Science, Ground Improvements, Football Knowledgeable CEO etc etc. Marcus knows too, if he has to many people involved they will be on him to finance various different improvements to fall in line with modern football. So it's best for M.E to have the smallest backroom team possible. ( My theory)

Finance wise, he's restrictive when it comes to staff at ITFC, Physios on 16k per annum for example ( Based on a job advert placed last season for a 1st team Physio). Now that may compare well with other clubs, I don't know, but 16k for a first team Physio seems low to me. maybe someone could confirm...

Marcus will sell and based on the takeover rumour reports, it said he would write off the debt to M.E Group but keep a low stake in the club.. for me that shows that although he's happy to waive the debt, he certainly wants a piece of the club if it's successful, therefore In my opinion he will be very cautious of who he sells the club too. Which could explain why there's many apparent interests in the club but none taken further ( this of course is a theory of mine and not fact)

M.E's ownership, would have been ideal in the 90's. However his level of input isn't enough in modern football if the target is anything other than lower to Mid Championship, that's not to say it's wrong. But with anything in life you want more, and as alot of ex players say, the club deserves more.

I wouldn't say Evans is a bad owner, He's certainly nowhere near the best, and I'm also not sold on that he does what is right for the club, however I do believe he has been burnt from those he has trusted, after all, without having any footballing knowledge, you're going to lean on someone for advice, who on earth advised him to hire Lambert for example. But we've seen owners promise funds and pull out, owners not paying players etc, so we have no choice but to be thankful he hasn't done that.

All in all, he's been rubbish, the managers have been rubbish. a take over might work, it might not, so whilst M.E is still the current owner and P.C is the current manager, i'll gladly support the club the best I can financially, as it's supporting the club, it's not supporting M.E.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 07:09 - Mar 16 with 1467 viewsChurchman

Apologies for saying the above. I have rightly been advised that I am wrong.

I still disagree with you though. Had Evans not come in I strongly believe somebody else would have.no club of any size has gone to the wall, though a few like Bolton and Sunderland have come close.

I still hope we see the back of Evans sooner rather than later.
I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 07:11 - Mar 16 with 1456 viewschrismakin

I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 07:09 - Mar 16 by Churchman

I still disagree with you though. Had Evans not come in I strongly believe somebody else would have.no club of any size has gone to the wall, though a few like Bolton and Sunderland have come close.

Was it the current West Ham owners who were keen at the time?

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Login to get fewer ads

I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 07:28 - Mar 16 with 1406 viewsblueconscience

I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 07:11 - Mar 16 by chrismakin

Was it the current West Ham owners who were keen at the time?

Yeap, but people weren’t too keen on them due to their newspaper links at the time.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 07:32 - Mar 16 with 1394 viewsChurchman

I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 07:28 - Mar 16 by blueconscience

Yeap, but people weren’t too keen on them due to their newspaper links at the time.

Was it not David Sullivan and his partner David Gold? Former owners of Birmingham and then West Ham.

Saw him on the M25 many years ago driving a Rolls Royce. Hard to miss!
I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 07:33 - Mar 16 with 1391 viewsGuthrum

Quite a few clubs have gone to the wall, altho there has usually been a sharp decline (usually right down to non-League) first. Bury FC hardly even had that.

But I doubt we would have gone out of business had Evans not bought in 2007. There was reputedly some interest from other quarters (tho how serious we'll never know). At worst it would have been admin and a fire sale.

But even having been bought by someone other than Evans doesn't guarantee things would have turned out better - or even much different. Then there is the Portsmouth/Luton scenario, a rise to the top followed by a crash almost to oblivion a few years later. Is that really an improvement?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 07:46 - Mar 16 with 1360 viewsGeoffSentence

We could have suffered further financial hardship and ended up in tier 3.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 07:49 - Mar 16 with 1353 viewsChurchman

I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 07:33 - Mar 16 by Guthrum

Quite a few clubs have gone to the wall, altho there has usually been a sharp decline (usually right down to non-League) first. Bury FC hardly even had that.

But I doubt we would have gone out of business had Evans not bought in 2007. There was reputedly some interest from other quarters (tho how serious we'll never know). At worst it would have been admin and a fire sale.

But even having been bought by someone other than Evans doesn't guarantee things would have turned out better - or even much different. Then there is the Portsmouth/Luton scenario, a rise to the top followed by a crash almost to oblivion a few years later. Is that really an improvement?

All bar Bury have either been bought out or have been reformed, thinking of Middlesbrough, Portsmouth and Bolton here. Bolton could well be back in the same division next year.

I guess the point I’m trying to make is that with Evans you have a kind of certainty. That certainty is continual decline, unless something changes. Maybe Evans will have a ‘Scrooge’ moment and change the way he does things, but I very much doubt it.

Maybe a new owner will come in and be as catastrophic as the Oystons at Blackpool or maybe a new owner will come in and allow the club to breathe again and grow. There is potential here, I just don’t see it being realised with Evans depressing ownership. There is only so much Cook can do without support.
I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 08:13 - Mar 16 with 1302 viewsStewart27

No.

I’m not thankful to Evans.

Not one bit.
I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 08:13 - Mar 16 with 1304 viewsGuthrum

I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 07:49 - Mar 16 by Churchman

All bar Bury have either been bought out or have been reformed, thinking of Middlesbrough, Portsmouth and Bolton here. Bolton could well be back in the same division next year.

I guess the point I’m trying to make is that with Evans you have a kind of certainty. That certainty is continual decline, unless something changes. Maybe Evans will have a ‘Scrooge’ moment and change the way he does things, but I very much doubt it.

Maybe a new owner will come in and be as catastrophic as the Oystons at Blackpool or maybe a new owner will come in and allow the club to breathe again and grow. There is potential here, I just don’t see it being realised with Evans depressing ownership. There is only so much Cook can do without support.

The thing about the decline under Evans is that - after the first few seasons - it is based around stasis, not damage. His investment levels have remained broadly stable, while the rest of the sport has gone on a cash-splurging frenzy. Even halfway-decent players are going for five or ten times the money they were 15 years ago.

You could argue that Evans ought to have kept pace, but then we'd be £300m in debt with no greater guarantee of success (Derby County).

Evans may have picked some rubbish managers, but then so do most owners most of the time. The brilliant successes are notable because of their rarity. Likewise with Chief Execs/DoFs.

I also don't think that continual decline is inevitable with Evans. Even with everything which has gone wrong this season (Lambert, injuries, form) we're still in the play-off places. Automatic promotion is not beyond all hope if we can get a good run going. Once back in the Champ, a bit of good organisation could see us up the table, maybe in a position to attract undervalued players like Murphy or Waghorn, giving the tools to improve again.

Certainly a return to where we were prior to 2019 is entirely feasible. Then, as McCarthy showed, there is the possibility to put ourselves in contention to rise further.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 08:29 - Mar 16 with 1252 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 23:41 - Mar 15 by Ipswich_Crazy

You're missing my point. yes would have been nice but that didn't happen.

And if my Nan had wheels, she'd have been a bike.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 08:30 - Mar 16 with 1246 viewsKropotkin123

I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 00:09 - Mar 16 by chrismakin

For something that could have been exciting, it's been a painful ride.

My summary of M.E as an owner
Bought the club as a get rich quick scheme, Sheepshanks sold it as a dead cert, all he needed to do was Invest a bit of money to begin with. He gladly spent a fair bit of money, didn't work, spent a bit more, still didn't work then got stuck with owning the club.
He can put in a bit of cash to keep it afloat, can invest to help on the playing staff side of things, but hasn't directed any of the finances where it matters.. Sports Science, Ground Improvements, Football Knowledgeable CEO etc etc. Marcus knows too, if he has to many people involved they will be on him to finance various different improvements to fall in line with modern football. So it's best for M.E to have the smallest backroom team possible. ( My theory)

Finance wise, he's restrictive when it comes to staff at ITFC, Physios on 16k per annum for example ( Based on a job advert placed last season for a 1st team Physio). Now that may compare well with other clubs, I don't know, but 16k for a first team Physio seems low to me. maybe someone could confirm...

Marcus will sell and based on the takeover rumour reports, it said he would write off the debt to M.E Group but keep a low stake in the club.. for me that shows that although he's happy to waive the debt, he certainly wants a piece of the club if it's successful, therefore In my opinion he will be very cautious of who he sells the club too. Which could explain why there's many apparent interests in the club but none taken further ( this of course is a theory of mine and not fact)

M.E's ownership, would have been ideal in the 90's. However his level of input isn't enough in modern football if the target is anything other than lower to Mid Championship, that's not to say it's wrong. But with anything in life you want more, and as alot of ex players say, the club deserves more.

I wouldn't say Evans is a bad owner, He's certainly nowhere near the best, and I'm also not sold on that he does what is right for the club, however I do believe he has been burnt from those he has trusted, after all, without having any footballing knowledge, you're going to lean on someone for advice, who on earth advised him to hire Lambert for example. But we've seen owners promise funds and pull out, owners not paying players etc, so we have no choice but to be thankful he hasn't done that.

All in all, he's been rubbish, the managers have been rubbish. a take over might work, it might not, so whilst M.E is still the current owner and P.C is the current manager, i'll gladly support the club the best I can financially, as it's supporting the club, it's not supporting M.E.

Strongly disagree with parts of this. He wouldn't have been good in the 90s.

The mentality of the man is all wrong. You say he is putting up 16k to invest in a physio. 16k is frankly an embarrassment. We won't get someone decent. We will miss out on people who need to support a family, etc.

At the same time, he is ineptly investing in 6 loan players, under a manager that was obviously not good enough, when they 6 players can't even all play at the same time.

He doesn't learn from his mistakes. He backed PL when we were on our way down to league one by chucking a load of loan players at the situation, where that investment completely evaporated when we almost inevitably failed.

That money that he wastes on loan players would be better spent investing in a decent infrastructure. Eg investing in a capable physio and paying money that is going to see a financial return. eg, not having to run such a large squad, because we can actually keep players out of the treatment room.

His mentality in that respect is all wrong, he chooses to run many aspects of the club on a shoestring, when investments there will have a positive impact on finances.

The 90s was a great time for us, because off the pitch we built and built and came back stronger. We sold someone like Dyer and could win promotion off it. How many times did we see big sales, only for that money to evaporate because of his strategy.

This is why we still need a DoF and investment in our footballing structure, if the deal is off. Paul Cook is a quality manager and if he fails here it is entirely on ME.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 08:33 - Mar 16 with 1238 viewschrismakin

I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 08:30 - Mar 16 by Kropotkin123

Strongly disagree with parts of this. He wouldn't have been good in the 90s.

The mentality of the man is all wrong. You say he is putting up 16k to invest in a physio. 16k is frankly an embarrassment. We won't get someone decent. We will miss out on people who need to support a family, etc.

At the same time, he is ineptly investing in 6 loan players, under a manager that was obviously not good enough, when they 6 players can't even all play at the same time.

He doesn't learn from his mistakes. He backed PL when we were on our way down to league one by chucking a load of loan players at the situation, where that investment completely evaporated when we almost inevitably failed.

That money that he wastes on loan players would be better spent investing in a decent infrastructure. Eg investing in a capable physio and paying money that is going to see a financial return. eg, not having to run such a large squad, because we can actually keep players out of the treatment room.

His mentality in that respect is all wrong, he chooses to run many aspects of the club on a shoestring, when investments there will have a positive impact on finances.

The 90s was a great time for us, because off the pitch we built and built and came back stronger. We sold someone like Dyer and could win promotion off it. How many times did we see big sales, only for that money to evaporate because of his strategy.

This is why we still need a DoF and investment in our footballing structure, if the deal is off. Paul Cook is a quality manager and if he fails here it is entirely on ME.

Yeah, sorry I meant his level of investment would have been good for the 90's

but agree with your points.

I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 08:49 - Mar 16 with 1208 viewsghostofescobar

Or he could have bought us, not been completely incompetent and ruined ITFC and taken us to as low as the club have been, on and off field, for a generation, and we could instead have been a decent middling Prem team with 30,000 in the ground every other Saturday and a £100mill a year minimum coming in. Just an alternate view.

GhostOfEscobar

I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 10:37 - Mar 16 with 1101 viewsIpswich_Crazy

So my opinion doesn't count because my user name is Ipswich_Crazy?

How dare you call me a Norwich fan! I hate them with a passion!

I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 10:42 - Mar 16 with 1075 viewsBlueBlood90

Grateful that he's doubled the debt and taken us from a team competing for the Premier League to an average League One side?

He thought it would be easy to buy the club on the cheap, chuck £10m at a new manager who'd ben promoted before and that would be it. Easy peasy.

Then the only manager he didn't properly back was the only manager who actually gave us a genuine chance of promotion!

Therefore I'll pass on the gratitude thanks.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 10:43 - Mar 16 with 1072 viewsIpswich_Crazy

You lot are still missing my point. I was not saying Marcus Evans is a good owner of itfc no far from it, he's bringing down the club into a meanless mess! my point is, without him coming in when he did we may not of survived.

Yes, Marcus Evans needs to sell for the club to move forward. With him still, here I cant see ITFC going anywhere anytime soon!

I'm Ipswich till I die and always will be!

I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 10:50 - Mar 16 with 1050 viewsIpswich_Crazy

I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 10:42 - Mar 16 by BlueBlood90

Grateful that he's doubled the debt and taken us from a team competing for the Premier League to an average League One side?

He thought it would be easy to buy the club on the cheap, chuck £10m at a new manager who'd ben promoted before and that would be it. Easy peasy.

Then the only manager he didn't properly back was the only manager who actually gave us a genuine chance of promotion!

Therefore I'll pass on the gratitude thanks.

I am nowhere near happy with Evans, I will tell you that, he's a disaster! If he really cared about the club we would have been in the Premier League by now and invested in the club heavily. I will state it again, I am nowhere near happy with Evans. If you understood where I was coming from maybe you wouldn't have jumped the gun and you thinking I'm defending Evans, I'm not, why should I? Look where we are? Look at our debt over £100M? it's a complete disaster! It's time for Evans to do the right thing and sell up!

#EvansOut

I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 10:55 - Mar 16 with 1041 viewsPilgrimblue

Yes just imagine, we'd be a well run football club with proper funding. ME has without doubt been a disaster (couldn't be any worse!) with all his appointments except perhaps MM who was only taken on to clear up the mess left by the previous idiots.
Can't believe we could get any worse but if takeover doesn't go ahead then just hope that with Cook he has at last got it right.
Trouble is Cook has taken over a poor squad that have been playing poor football so if we don't get up this season (which I doubt) then ME needs to make sure Cook has the funds to build a team and style capable of winning L1.
I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 10:55 - Mar 16 with 1041 viewsChurchman

I know its sad news about the takeover but... on 10:37 - Mar 16 by Ipswich_Crazy

So my opinion doesn't count because my user name is Ipswich_Crazy?

How dare you call me a Norwich fan! I hate them with a passion!

Your opinion counts just as much as everyone else’s.

And yes, I was wrong to call you a Norwich fan. Apologies.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024