Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
‘Characters’ and proper blokes 22:56 - Mar 16 with 1369 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Much gets made of Mick’s said if ‘proper blokes’ but looking at that 14/15 play off squad makes you realise how devoid our current squad is of any real leaders and any big characters....

14/15: Chambers, Skuse, Berra, Smith, Hunt, Mings, Murphy, McGoldrick, Bart... all could arguably have captained that side

20/21: Chambers, Skuse

And no I don’t count someone like Norwood in the same bracket unfortunately! After games like tonight I just feel like the players don’t care or have any passion. And that’s an enormous issue.
‘Characters’ and proper blokes on 23:01 - Mar 16 with 1324 viewsTractorWood

Is Skuse really a leader or a big character? I've been watching us home and away for a decade and I occasionally see him point and direct a bit but to me he's not a proper leader like Berra, Smith or Chambers. Bart was pretty excellent too.
[Post edited 16 Mar 2021 23:02]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

‘Characters’ and proper blokes on 23:15 - Mar 16 with 1255 viewsBlueStreak

‘Characters’ and proper blokes on 23:01 - Mar 16 by TractorWood

Is Skuse really a leader or a big character? I've been watching us home and away for a decade and I occasionally see him point and direct a bit but to me he's not a proper leader like Berra, Smith or Chambers. Bart was pretty excellent too.

Agreed. Imagine how quiet that changing room is before a game. Must be silent. Embarrassing.
‘Characters’ and proper blokes on 23:19 - Mar 16 with 1244 viewsTractorWood

‘Characters’ and proper blokes on 23:15 - Mar 16 by BlueStreak

Agreed. Imagine how quiet that changing room is before a game. Must be silent. Embarrassing.

I've always thought Skuse would be reading poetry and drinking red wine in a turtle neck and beret if he wasn't playing football on a Saturday afternoon.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

‘Characters’ and proper blokes on 23:20 - Mar 16 with 1238 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Agree with the original post. Very good point. This current bunch are feeble.

Berra, Smith, Mings and Chambers were all tough guys back in 14/15.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

‘Characters’ and proper blokes on 23:23 - Mar 16 with 1221 viewsMatt_Netherlands

‘Characters’ and proper blokes on 23:15 - Mar 16 by BlueStreak

Probably all got their headphones on, tweeting each other bants across the dressing room. Chambers probably still has the odd Gary Wackett moment of putting his fist through something on his way out to the tunnel
‘Characters’ and proper blokes on 23:24 - Mar 16 with 1214 viewsMatt_Netherlands

‘Characters’ and proper blokes on 23:01 - Mar 16 by TractorWood

Fair point really. Strikes me as a figure off the pitch who would stick his arm around the younger players and someone who is generally listened to and respected, but arguably not a leader on the pitch!
‘Characters’ and proper blokes on 23:40 - Mar 16 with 1170 viewseddiespearitt03

Chambers, Sears and Skuse are not leaders on the pitch. Probably seen as leaders at the training ground. Possibly leaders of the decline alongside Marcus Evans. These senior players are very lucky people who have been fortunate to be at this club for many fruitless years and now another manager has to experience the little ups and mostly downs of this club.
A whole new fresh approach and commitment is needed but that won,t be coming from Marcus Evans. The rumored "take over" that never materialized is once again Evans gambling with the future of this club. Evans feels by constantly sacking and appointing managers he has to get lucky sooner or later. By dismissing a take over bid he thinks he is protecting the best interests of this club. Too many are just clinging on to this club. A take over just might of been the injection and spark this club needed. Nothing has changed except for another manager thrown into the ring.
‘Characters’ and proper blokes on 03:01 - Mar 17 with 1038 viewsHighgateBlue

I still don't understand how we managed to lose Berra...
Login to get fewer ads

‘Characters’ and proper blokes on 06:52 - Mar 17 with 921 viewstextbackup

‘Characters’ and proper blokes on 03:01 - Mar 17 by HighgateBlue

I still don't understand how we managed to lose Berra...

his missus done the dirt on him, then fked off back to Scotland with their kid. so he couldn't keep flying back and forwards 3/4 times a week.

that's how

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

‘Characters’ and proper blokes on 06:54 - Mar 17 with 914 viewschrismakin

‘Characters’ and proper blokes on 06:52 - Mar 17 by textbackup

his missus done the dirt on him, then fked off back to Scotland with their kid. so he couldn't keep flying back and forwards 3/4 times a week.

that's how

Evans out!

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

‘Characters’ and proper blokes on 06:57 - Mar 17 with 895 viewstextbackup

we need 5/6 new senior pros that will take the place of our wet wipes in the first team.

we have only have one "character" in Norwood, I don't particularly rate him as a player, but you know he'll run through a brick wall.

I'd keep Wilson at CB, strong, he'd be in a proper bloke bucket for me.

Downes stays, as too does Bishop. Because they don't all need to be nutcases' we need some quality on the ball too.

But the rest I really wouldn't care if I ever saw them play for us again.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

‘Characters’ and proper blokes on 07:34 - Mar 17 with 815 viewsbraveblue

How can Skuse be classed as a leader or captain?

The problem is that a captain should be a decent player and we don’t have that!!
‘Characters’ and proper blokes on 08:12 - Mar 17 with 746 viewstractorboy1978

‘Characters’ and proper blokes on 07:34 - Mar 17 by braveblue

How can Skuse be classed as a leader or captain?

The problem is that a captain should be a decent player and we don’t have that!!

Leadership takes all sorts of forms but we don't have much of it in any form at all. Said this post Gillingham too, how many players do we have that play at a consistent 7/10 every week? Wilson is closest to it for me and he's a basic, functional L1 centre back.
‘Characters’ and proper blokes on 08:18 - Mar 17 with 725 viewsBiGDonnie

The only thing Skuse could lead us to is another relegation. No thanks.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024