Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Yesterday..blaming Evans and investment 08:09 - Mar 17 with 708 viewsBlueySwede

Sure, Evans have lacked a decent football strategy from day 1. He has made wrong choices regarding managers (for me not it´s not so much about Lambert, more about Keane, Jewell and Hurst). Evans has backed some managers with lots of money and others with almost none at all (McCarthy).
Maybe he has given his managers a bit too much freedom (Hurst), and now we are left with the leftovers.
But to say he hasn´t invested and that that is the main reason we lost yesterday is very strange. Some fans make it out that Evans have sold at every oppurtunity etc. Not true.
How much has Fleetwood invested? There are so many teams doing better than us that is spending much less than Marcus Evans. What we do need is a good manager/coach and I do hope and think we have one in Cook. We also need, both as a club and as a footballing team, to have a clear strategy going forward and improve scouting etc. There are good players out there, but we seem to go for loanies and freebies nowadays.
Players need to step up. Even squads that arent really that good can come a long way with attitude and desire (see Luton in the Championship), I saw nothing of that yesterday.
Yesterday..blaming Evans and investment on 08:20 - Mar 17 with 662 viewsElephantintheRoom

You have to remember Evans was gifted Town after faxing a number of clubs to see who would be foolish enough to bite.... he simply believed the fad of the time that a 'big club' in the second or third division could be 'big' again. He didnt care which club he bought - be it southampton, forest - or town.

Im not sure strategy comes into it.... Derby have tried everything - whereas the 'swansea model' begat the 'huddersfield model' which spawned 'the norwich model' and 'Brentford model'. Before that there were charlton models, stoke models.... which promptly get lost. Everything is cyclic

There is always someone doing rather well for some inexplicable reason.... at the moment it seems ot be Barnsley....or indeed Fleetwood or Lincoln.

Town are where they are because of leadership and vision. Or rather a complete lack of it.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Yesterday..blaming Evans and investment on 08:31 - Mar 17 with 632 viewsBlueySwede

Yesterday..blaming Evans and investment on 08:20 - Mar 17 by ElephantintheRoom

You have to remember Evans was gifted Town after faxing a number of clubs to see who would be foolish enough to bite.... he simply believed the fad of the time that a 'big club' in the second or third division could be 'big' again. He didnt care which club he bought - be it southampton, forest - or town.

Im not sure strategy comes into it.... Derby have tried everything - whereas the 'swansea model' begat the 'huddersfield model' which spawned 'the norwich model' and 'Brentford model'. Before that there were charlton models, stoke models.... which promptly get lost. Everything is cyclic

There is always someone doing rather well for some inexplicable reason.... at the moment it seems ot be Barnsley....or indeed Fleetwood or Lincoln.

Town are where they are because of leadership and vision. Or rather a complete lack of it.

Agree with that.
Some people say it´s lack of money from Evans during these years, I believe it´s more to do with a lack of leadership, knowledge and involvement with the day-to-day running of the club that has been the main problem.
Anyway. I was thinking about some of the reactions yesterday, the usual meltdowns after a loss. "Evans fault", "Cook isn´t impressing"..FFS. Players need to at least put up a fight and do the basic things right, otherwise no owners or managers in the world has a chance.
Yesterday..blaming Evans and investment on 08:47 - Mar 17 with 598 viewsElephantintheRoom

Yesterday..blaming Evans and investment on 08:31 - Mar 17 by BlueySwede

Agree with that.
Some people say it´s lack of money from Evans during these years, I believe it´s more to do with a lack of leadership, knowledge and involvement with the day-to-day running of the club that has been the main problem.
Anyway. I was thinking about some of the reactions yesterday, the usual meltdowns after a loss. "Evans fault", "Cook isn´t impressing"..FFS. Players need to at least put up a fight and do the basic things right, otherwise no owners or managers in the world has a chance.

Agreed - I'd add that very few managers are actually good enough to succeed at more than one club because of serendipity - they rise or fall largely on what they inherited, with a large dollop of luck or mischance thrown in. Even Bobby Robson - sacked at Fulham and exiled in Vancouver, third choice out of three at Town, only got the job because Billy Bingham turned down repeated appeals from John Cobbold.... and the rest is history.

Had Baxter and Carrol not had a tantrum - or had the board done what owners do nowadays and give in to players, who knows? You have to remember Baxter was the club captain - and a link to the league winners from less than a decade previously. Cobbold's backing of Robson now seems even more astonishing than it did at the time.

Cook has a big opportunity - and knows what he is doing.... for some reason the first sensible appointment of the Evans era..... and in terms of scenario... a bit like when he took over, one division further down - on the edge of the play offs, a core of good(ish) plyers and some young ones. What could possibly go wrong eh?

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Yesterday..blaming Evans and investment on 08:58 - Mar 17 with 568 viewslongtimefan

Yesterday..blaming Evans and investment on 08:47 - Mar 17 by ElephantintheRoom

Agreed - I'd add that very few managers are actually good enough to succeed at more than one club because of serendipity - they rise or fall largely on what they inherited, with a large dollop of luck or mischance thrown in. Even Bobby Robson - sacked at Fulham and exiled in Vancouver, third choice out of three at Town, only got the job because Billy Bingham turned down repeated appeals from John Cobbold.... and the rest is history.

Had Baxter and Carrol not had a tantrum - or had the board done what owners do nowadays and give in to players, who knows? You have to remember Baxter was the club captain - and a link to the league winners from less than a decade previously. Cobbold's backing of Robson now seems even more astonishing than it did at the time.

Cook has a big opportunity - and knows what he is doing.... for some reason the first sensible appointment of the Evans era..... and in terms of scenario... a bit like when he took over, one division further down - on the edge of the play offs, a core of good(ish) plyers and some young ones. What could possibly go wrong eh?

“Cook has a big opportunity - and knows what he is doing.... for some reason the first sensible appointment of the Evans era..... and in terms of scenario... a bit like when he took over, one division further down - on the edge of the play offs, a core of good(ish) plyers and some young ones. What could possibly go wrong eh?”

Are you really suggesting the appointment of Mick, when we were bottom and way off safety, and ended up mid-table, was not a sensible one? Whether he should have still been here 5 years later is one thing, but to me, that was a perfect choice at the time.
Yesterday..blaming Evans and investment on 09:00 - Mar 17 with 557 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Yesterday..blaming Evans and investment on 08:20 - Mar 17 by ElephantintheRoom

And thats it for me, its the absolute lack of Vision, Identity and of Leadership from Evans for his entire twelve years. Clegg, Milne, O'Neil have all being mouthpieces with no authority to run the club at all, on the basis that Evans wants the final say on every decision, but doesn't have the time to be around the club all the time, nor does he want to be a figurehead of the club.

You simply can't have it both ways in that instance, its bad enough from a supporters perspective, but now imagine being a player with a man paying your wages who takes all the final decisions including on recruitment and player sales who you never see. The mere fact that its Evans taking these decisions, undermines the manager, be it Magilton, Keane, Jewell, McCarthy, Hurst, Lambert or Cook. Do we have a manager? or a Head Coach? If its a Manager, let him manage all aspects of the club.

Where Evans lack of investment, or rather his penny pinching and corner cutting, does become a problem is that it does nothing except encourages player apathy.

Lambert spoke at length about how run down the training ground facilities had become, including of all things, the lack of re-decoration causing club logos and blue paintwork to become faded. We all know that the stadium is in a similar state and deteriorating yearly.

Evans lack of investment for me, centres on the things that make us proud of our club and ultimately the things that make players proud to play for the club. Players, no matter who they are need a club they can believe in and be proud of. Evans running down of stadia and training facilities, simply in order to save £20k here, £80k there, has cost us, and him, millions.

And yet he still refuses to see it. That for me, is why Evans must go.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2021 9:07]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Yesterday..blaming Evans and investment on 09:11 - Mar 17 with 530 viewsJ2BLUE

Evans is the Titanic.

The managers are the bloke rearranging the deckchairs.

The fact is, whatever short term solutions a manager might find, this club is going to have taken on more water in another five years and it will be even harder to turn around.

Some people standing on the deck saw a rescue boat coming and screamed "No! I'm not getting on that, it might sink!" while the boat they are on takes on more and more water.

Other said "It's not the fault of that nice Mr Evans, he has bailed at least three bathtubs of water in the last hour" while the boat they are on slowly sinks.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024