Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Player ratings 08:19 - Mar 17 with 1150 viewsitfcjoe

Below average - Wilson, Nsiala
Poor - Holy, Chambers, Dozzell
Woeful - Kenlock, Skuse, Edwards, Parrott, Judge, Harrop, Jackson

We played 7 players across the forward 4 positions yesterday, and not one of them made a single decent contribution in the whole game. (Edwards, Parrott, Judge, Jackson, Harrop, Lankester, Drinan)

It's hard to tell without watching the full game/pitch, but there must have been a lack of movement or ability to find space as there just never seemed a ball being able to be played into feet.

There was absolutely zero press from the front, and just a total lack of positional discipline, every single one of them just meandered around from side to side not getting involved - and when the did get involved - Edwards and Parrott especially - just gave the ball away in such weak attempts. Harrop was beyond bad when he came on.

Think it's important not to overreact, but Cook needs to be doing a bit more with how he sets us up and how he gets us playing - because you can't allow the team to play so slowly and drift through a game. We showed no urgency when 2-0 down to try and get back into it.

I'm interested to see what team starts on Saturday, think it needs a bit of a shake up.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Player ratings on 08:28 - Mar 17 with 1109 viewstractorboy1978

Everyone waiting for someone else to take the risk, make the move, grasp the nettle. The lack of movement and options when we have a throw in is bad enough, let alone when we are on the ball.

I don't like to overreact either but we really do lack character throughout this squad. It's a pretty vacuous group of players that individually and collectively don't seem capable of putting in anything like a decent, consistent run of performances.
Player ratings on 08:28 - Mar 17 with 1109 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

Completely agree, I am also not sure if Holy's new sweeper keeper mantra is through poor positioning or good anticipation?!

My team for Saturday (a game both teams will find a way to lose!)

Holy
Matherson Nsiala Wilson Ward
Bishop Skuse
Bennetts Judge Dobra
Norwood

Dobra is certainly wishful thinking, maybe Thomas if he is fit?

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

Player ratings on 08:32 - Mar 17 with 1089 viewsDennyx4

Agree the players were poor last night.

Looking at the formations, our spare men last night were the two full backs - however we rarely saw either of them push forward, until Ward came on.

The wide areas were where we should have had an overload - however Judge roamed inside, even Edwards was coming inside more than usual. Just seemed very odd, when playing against a 352/532
Player ratings on 08:35 - Mar 17 with 1068 viewsSWGF

Cook is wedded to 4231. No problem with that. He's had his success with that and knows how he wants it to work.

I'm sure, if we were to creep into the POs, we'd accept that however I wonder whether he's using this period to see how many of the current squad are actually capable of playing this system, in readiness for next season.

If so, what is becoming 100% apparent, is that not many can. The defence has remained the same and done OK-ish, however we've tried various combinations in midfield and up front, and none have worked. We're as toothless and pedestrian as ever, despite Cook wanting them to play the opposite and (you'd hope) players wanting to impress. That's a concern; that he's not getting his thoughts across and they're not capable of taking them on.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Player ratings on 08:37 - Mar 17 with 1063 viewsPlums

Player ratings on 08:32 - Mar 17 by Dennyx4

Agree the players were poor last night.

Looking at the formations, our spare men last night were the two full backs - however we rarely saw either of them push forward, until Ward came on.

The wide areas were where we should have had an overload - however Judge roamed inside, even Edwards was coming inside more than usual. Just seemed very odd, when playing against a 352/532

Edwards seemed to spend much of the game playing in central midfield. Look at where he was when he got injured. We were all over the place and slow and predictable on the rare occasions where we did manage to get a foot on the ball.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Player ratings on 08:39 - Mar 17 with 1058 viewsChrisd

It highlights that we’ve got a squad of players that just aren’t good enough. Too many times we keep making excuses for them and the finger of blame points towards others factors for their poor displays, but last night should put to bed this myth that they are too good for this league. We’ve clearly got some players that have decent ability, but they lack the mentality and the whole round package to be recognised as good players. Too many times this type of performance has happened this season for it to be classed as an abnormality. The summer can’t come quick enough because we need a huge clear out, we need players that actually want to play for the shirt and have that fight in the pits of their stomachs to do their best when they cross that white line. I know it’s going to upset a few on here, but when the going gets tough we have too many players that simply go missing among this squad.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2021 10:10]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Player ratings on 08:44 - Mar 17 with 1002 viewsLankHenners

That he’s made a triple sub pretty much every match in the forward positions is a bit of a hint he’s not happy with what he’s getting from that area of the pitch.

Must be difficult though - you have Edwards who since returning from injury has been awful just repeatedly running the ball straight into defenders, then Cook looks behind him and the other option is Keanan Bennetts who has made needlessly conceding possession his forte.

Must be as frustrating for him as it is for us but it’s his job to sort and hopefully he can do that over the summer, if not make some progress with a full week of training next week.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Player ratings on 09:02 - Mar 17 with 926 viewsBluefish

I think generous on Wilson there, the rest sound about right. Wilson is doing some good mopping up on the floor at times but it is masking his complete of being able to win aerially in our box and his basic at beat distribution.

From my recollection we managed 3 shots on target, 2 of which were in the last 10 seconds of injury time. One from a cm and one from a cb. The other shot was from our replacement left back with about 10 or 15 to go, we offered nothing. It was so lamberteque in the lack of building through the lines and putting pressure in and around their box.

I know I have an issue with him but Edwards has to go and if we are playing 1 up top we must never start Jackson again either. These leaves us so short, for all of the promising glimpses that Dtinan can sometimes show he then looks like a little boy getting.knocked off the ball seconds later.

We simply have to put the trust in the kids if we have got a sure fire bet right now. There is no justification in trying to desperately find a solution in a bunch of loans and players agong our their contracts

The game has to be played high up the pitch and the only time we have done that this season is when Gill when 442 and got Norwood and Parrott to play centrally. The aspect of that was Bennetts and Bishop beating players and driving between the lines, for me Bishop has to play and so does Dobra. Lankester and Judge make up the other places to try and add passing higher up but they freedom to play.

The back 4 is largely the same whatever you do but I would want Woolf back because he can develop and offers more distribution. I'd like Chambers in the middle but that might not be possible

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Login to get fewer ads

Player ratings on 09:05 - Mar 17 with 903 viewsBseaBlue

Player ratings on 08:35 - Mar 17 by SWGF

Cook is wedded to 4231. No problem with that. He's had his success with that and knows how he wants it to work.

I'm sure, if we were to creep into the POs, we'd accept that however I wonder whether he's using this period to see how many of the current squad are actually capable of playing this system, in readiness for next season.

If so, what is becoming 100% apparent, is that not many can. The defence has remained the same and done OK-ish, however we've tried various combinations in midfield and up front, and none have worked. We're as toothless and pedestrian as ever, despite Cook wanting them to play the opposite and (you'd hope) players wanting to impress. That's a concern; that he's not getting his thoughts across and they're not capable of taking them on.

This is the one thing that's giving me hope at the moment. As frustrating as it is for the outcome of this season, Cook will be learning about the dross we have here and that for him to use this system effectively next year, he will need a big summer to do so. I trust his system and game plan more than the playing staff we have here at the moment!

Whether we trust Evans to deliver on that is another matter though....
Player ratings on 09:16 - Mar 17 with 857 viewsWallingford_Boy

But Jacko was the central front man, surely he should have banged them in or at least assisted a few...

Oh hang on, he had no service.

Got it.

RIP Sir Bobby

Player ratings on 09:29 - Mar 17 with 803 viewsDubtractor

I know it is wrong to single out players, especially after a performance when the whole team was so poor, but I've been hugely underwhelmed by Parrott so far.

He arrived with a reputation as a real prospect, but to be honest he looks like a young kuqi more than a young kane. Lots of effort, but so little composure or quality on the ball.

That said, Harrop has been so poor for us, again as a player who arrived with some expectation.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Player ratings on 09:35 - Mar 17 with 780 viewsRobTheMonk

Player ratings on 09:29 - Mar 17 by Dubtractor

I know it is wrong to single out players, especially after a performance when the whole team was so poor, but I've been hugely underwhelmed by Parrott so far.

He arrived with a reputation as a real prospect, but to be honest he looks like a young kuqi more than a young kane. Lots of effort, but so little composure or quality on the ball.

That said, Harrop has been so poor for us, again as a player who arrived with some expectation.

Parrott has got away with it because he's got good workrate. The reality is for everything good he does, he does something bad which you just can't do at this level.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024