Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Locked down for the best part of a year 08:45 - Mar 18 with 2089 viewstextbackup

unable to do anything fun, kids home schooling, and everything else that goes with it.....

but the only 2 times ive lost my sht, and been properly miserable, is after the Gillingham and Fleetwood loses....

to the point where i'm still angry now.

it really isn't just a game, is it

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Locked down for the best part of a year on 09:02 - Mar 18 with 1661 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

In a weird way I enjoy caring again, despite the losses.

I met the 0-0 draw with Northampton with a shrug of the shoulders as I was so far detached from the club thanks to Lambert.

Things are still far from perfect but with Cook as manager at least I am actively willing us to win again.

If we get into the play-offs then it will be the strangest of seasons emotionally!

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

Locked down for the best part of a year on 09:15 - Mar 18 with 1623 viewsitfcjoe

Definitely.

Think what's frustrating as feels like it is there for the taking, and just put in a couple of performance when literally not one single player has played well

2 teams have just wanted it more than us, beaten us to every second ball, and just the basics of winning battles etc

I'd like to see Cook rip it up a bit ahead of weekend - break up the Toto/WIlson partnership, stick attacking full backs in there, get inverted wingers playing, maybe stick Bishop alongside Skuse.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Locked down for the best part of a year on 09:18 - Mar 18 with 1598 viewsDubtractor

Locked down for the best part of a year on 09:15 - Mar 18 by itfcjoe

Definitely.

Think what's frustrating as feels like it is there for the taking, and just put in a couple of performance when literally not one single player has played well

2 teams have just wanted it more than us, beaten us to every second ball, and just the basics of winning battles etc

I'd like to see Cook rip it up a bit ahead of weekend - break up the Toto/WIlson partnership, stick attacking full backs in there, get inverted wingers playing, maybe stick Bishop alongside Skuse.

The only positive from those games is that Cook will be learning an awful lot about this set of players.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Locked down for the best part of a year on 09:19 - Mar 18 with 1588 viewsSwansea_Blue

Locked down for the best part of a year on 09:02 - Mar 18 by OhDavidMcgoldrick

In a weird way I enjoy caring again, despite the losses.

I met the 0-0 draw with Northampton with a shrug of the shoulders as I was so far detached from the club thanks to Lambert.

Things are still far from perfect but with Cook as manager at least I am actively willing us to win again.

If we get into the play-offs then it will be the strangest of seasons emotionally!

When was the last time we had anything to care about or get vaguely excited about? The only time lately seems to be leading up to managerial changes (even the transfer windows have become thoroughly unexciting), not the chance of us actually doing something in the league.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Locked down for the best part of a year on 09:26 - Mar 18 with 1556 viewsclive_baker

I hear you. I think the new manager brings some new belief and while it's always going to take time, I would say realistically he needs a full summer & window to stamp his mark, I think naturally you hope for a more immediate bounce.

This season isn't dead though, we have loads to play for. We need to fight and hustle our way to as many points as possible and see where it leaves us. We not facing world class opponents, we're capable of going on a bit of a run as Sunderland have managed. Keep the fait, enjoy the rest of this season as a bit of a free hit and be hopeful for next season with a new look side.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Locked down for the best part of a year on 09:29 - Mar 18 with 1532 viewspatrickswell

The Gillingham and Fleetwood performances have stung people because they have confirmed every suspicion held about both this squad of players and the mindset/mentality that runs through the club.

Cook can’t change that on his own.
Locked down for the best part of a year on 09:29 - Mar 18 with 1528 viewsjayessess

Definitely.

I know everyone was bad on Tuesday Night, but I can't see that Skuse's performance screamed "pick me again, this time with a midfielder who does less defensive work".

Personally, I hope he's thinking about whether the Parrott as 10 is working. When we originally put him there it was so we could go direct and 4-4-2, whilst pretending we weren't. We're now trying to use the midfield and pass between the lines and it's now twice in a row we've been gubbed by teams who out-numbered us in there.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Locked down for the best part of a year on 09:30 - Mar 18 with 1519 viewsbobbyramsey

Definitely.

I'd love to see PC rip it up but although we have a massive squad we lack quality. Who do you replace the ripped up bits with? There's just no-one there, we are bereft.......

I can't wait for the end of season and to see some of these 'players' (ahem?) booted out of the door....

I just hope that PC has got big boots.
Login to get fewer ads

Locked down for the best part of a year on 09:37 - Mar 18 with 1479 viewsitfcjoe

Locked down for the best part of a year on 09:29 - Mar 18 by jayessess

I know everyone was bad on Tuesday Night, but I can't see that Skuse's performance screamed "pick me again, this time with a midfielder who does less defensive work".

Personally, I hope he's thinking about whether the Parrott as 10 is working. When we originally put him there it was so we could go direct and 4-4-2, whilst pretending we weren't. We're now trying to use the midfield and pass between the lines and it's now twice in a row we've been gubbed by teams who out-numbered us in there.

Skuse was terrible, I can't disagree on that - I just think Dozzell starting to look a bit leggy and may need a rest - and that Skuse and Bishop form a more natural partnership as a midfield 2 with Skuse sitting and Bishop going.

I'd go something like this on Saturday

------------------------Cornell-----------------------
Matheson-----Chambers---Wilson----Kenlock
---------------------Skuse------Bishop------------
----Lankester-----------Judge------------Jackson
-------------------Norwood/Parrott--------------

Or even Dobra on the left.

It may leave us a bit exposed, but gives us more attacking bodies with a central handbrake there in Skuse which should allow the full backs to bomb on

I think someone like Dozzell needs a Downes alongside him to flourish in a 4231

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Locked down for the best part of a year on 09:37 - Mar 18 with 1476 viewshammo56

I have to admit and say I am completely the opposite.
Football used to mean everything to me but since this virus appeared on the scene I really don’t look at it the same way. Don’t get me wrong I will always want to see ITFC to do well but when things aren’t going right I no longer get up tight and think there are other things more important.
The only thing I do miss is seeing people that I got to know at the games.
Locked down for the best part of a year on 09:37 - Mar 18 with 1473 viewstractorboy1978

Locked down for the best part of a year on 09:30 - Mar 18 by bobbyramsey

I'd love to see PC rip it up but although we have a massive squad we lack quality. Who do you replace the ripped up bits with? There's just no-one there, we are bereft.......

I can't wait for the end of season and to see some of these 'players' (ahem?) booted out of the door....

I just hope that PC has got big boots.

In those midfield/attacking positions, far too many of them have played far too many games without doing anywhere near enough. It's staggering that Edwards has played over 80 times for us and you can count on your fingers the performances where we've seen anything like the player we thought we signed. Judge played about 75 games and similar.

Harrop and Thomas have literally been pointless - contributed nothing. Bennetts slightly more but still a pretty low bar.
Locked down for the best part of a year on 09:42 - Mar 18 with 1449 viewsChurchman

Locked down for the best part of a year on 09:26 - Mar 18 by clive_baker

I hear you. I think the new manager brings some new belief and while it's always going to take time, I would say realistically he needs a full summer & window to stamp his mark, I think naturally you hope for a more immediate bounce.

This season isn't dead though, we have loads to play for. We need to fight and hustle our way to as many points as possible and see where it leaves us. We not facing world class opponents, we're capable of going on a bit of a run as Sunderland have managed. Keep the fait, enjoy the rest of this season as a bit of a free hit and be hopeful for next season with a new look side.

I had hoped the players would show a bit more, but that was hope overriding sense. The players are largely awful. Lack of ability, some way over the hill, a few promising ones, but above all poor attitude. Mediocrity, ok with second best, not too bothered about losing. 100% some games, not up for it in others. There is a malaise there.

Playoffs? Doubtful and I wouldn’t give the much chance against the others anyway. Poor old Cook must be wondering why he jumped so early into this mess of a club when three much better jobs at Birmingham Portsmouth and Charlton have just come up.

The main thing, assuming he stays, is that he needs time and support. He may well get the former but I doubt much of the latter. He clearly knows what he wants and my fingers are crossed that he can wheel and deal and build a real team. Doesn't have to be good to get out of this garbage league. Just a proper team. I like him and believe he can deliver that.
Locked down for the best part of a year on 09:42 - Mar 18 with 1449 viewsBseaBlue

Locked down for the best part of a year on 09:37 - Mar 18 by itfcjoe

Skuse was terrible, I can't disagree on that - I just think Dozzell starting to look a bit leggy and may need a rest - and that Skuse and Bishop form a more natural partnership as a midfield 2 with Skuse sitting and Bishop going.

It may leave us a bit exposed, but gives us more attacking bodies with a central handbrake there in Skuse which should allow the full backs to bomb on

I'd go with that. Let Skuse sit and Bish push on. I'm a big Dobra fan too. I think he has that bit of X factor about him that this side misses. Cook talks about flair players a lot and I think he is just that!

Most important thing for me here though is that you have Judge in the 10! We need someone like him in there to demand the ball and keep it moving. Could be the key to our success as opposed to dumping him out wide.
Locked down for the best part of a year on 09:44 - Mar 18 with 1438 viewsScuzzer

Yes...it is just a game.

Established 1968

Locked down for the best part of a year on 09:47 - Mar 18 with 1428 viewsbobbyramsey

But that's just regurgitating the same old sh1t players in a slightly different order.

Net result? Same old, same old......
Locked down for the best part of a year on 09:49 - Mar 18 with 1416 viewsjayessess

Yeah, the under-acknowledged good part of Dozzell's defensive game is interceptions, rather than pressing/tacking, which is why Downes would make such a good foil for him. Judge as 10 definitely helps here, because neither Skuse nor Bishop is going to put much of a hurry on opposition midfielders.

On Lanks, I thought I saw some green shoots in his cameo on Tuesday Night. Maybe it was just Fleetwood's press slackening off a bit as they saw the game out, but there was a bit more attacking involvement there.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Locked down for the best part of a year on 09:57 - Mar 18 with 1373 viewsBseaBlue

Locked down for the best part of a year on 09:49 - Mar 18 by jayessess

Yeah, the under-acknowledged good part of Dozzell's defensive game is interceptions, rather than pressing/tacking, which is why Downes would make such a good foil for him. Judge as 10 definitely helps here, because neither Skuse nor Bishop is going to put much of a hurry on opposition midfielders.

On Lanks, I thought I saw some green shoots in his cameo on Tuesday Night. Maybe it was just Fleetwood's press slackening off a bit as they saw the game out, but there was a bit more attacking involvement there.

Re Lanks I thought it was evident that every time he got the ball he was trying to get a cross in the box as early as possible. I'm all for that to be honest as he is one of the very few that has a decent cross on him. Get Norwood in the box and let Lanks find him.
Locked down for the best part of a year on 10:06 - Mar 18 with 1335 viewsclive_baker

PC may well aspire to a 4-2-3-1 in time, but I don't think we've got the personnel for it. We didn't under Lambert and I don't see that that's changed overnight. We don't have proven wide men and we don't have a lone striker. We all would love to see 7 academy graduates popping the ball about on lovely pitches in triangles but now isn't the time.

For me getting to a favoured formation and way of playing is phase 2, work to that over the summer, recruit and sell appropriately and spend the time on the training ground we need. At the moment we have to play the hand we're dealt and we have next to no training time. We're firmly in phase 1 which to me is about winning games for the next 8 weeks, and I honestly do think we need to be less cute with it, hustle harder with a more pragmatic approach and be more direct.

It heavily relies on getting and keeping Norwood fit, or Hawkins in his absence and playing Jackson off him. Get grafters in the midfield, which is probably 4 from Judge, Bishop, Parrott, Downes, Edwards. Play the percentages defensively, Chambers, Ward, Wilson. I thought Ward was looking jaded before he was dropped but I don't believe he's become a bad player overnight, I would be keen to see him given a start at Pompey. Probably Cornell for Holy.

Lets play the percentages. Less over thinking, more pragmatism. Less boys, more men. More b0llocks.

Locked down for the best part of a year on 10:09 - Mar 18 with 1320 viewsMrTown

Cook is too good for us, should be in the Championship, so I trust him greatly to get us back there, but I can't see it happening this year.

Players are miles off the level, and a clear out is needed.

At least Cook will be seeing the trust regarding these players in games like Gillingham, Fleetwood - not good enough, cannot trust them, miles off level required.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Locked down for the best part of a year on 10:11 - Mar 18 with 1309 viewsclive_baker

Locked down for the best part of a year on 09:57 - Mar 18 by BseaBlue

Re Lanks I thought it was evident that every time he got the ball he was trying to get a cross in the box as early as possible. I'm all for that to be honest as he is one of the very few that has a decent cross on him. Get Norwood in the box and let Lanks find him.

What are your thoughts on this, Lankester up front in a front 2? The more I see of him the more I think he has the attributes. In those wide roles there's a bit too much reliance on the defensive responsibilities and putting the shift in that probably finds Edwards favour. I think we need proper graft across the middle, it's why I've always liked Judge. We'll never rid players of mistakes, but we need to be busy and hard to play against, with a quick press. I'm not sure Lankester does enough of that. In a front 2 though, off a Norwood or Hawkins I could really see him doing some damage as we know he can finish and he's comfortable in the channels. I honestly think he could be a dangerous forward at this level.

Locked down for the best part of a year on 10:13 - Mar 18 with 1304 viewstextbackup

Locked down for the best part of a year on 10:09 - Mar 18 by MrTown

Cook is too good for us, should be in the Championship, so I trust him greatly to get us back there, but I can't see it happening this year.

Players are miles off the level, and a clear out is needed.

At least Cook will be seeing the trust regarding these players in games like Gillingham, Fleetwood - not good enough, cannot trust them, miles off level required.

Cook definitely gives me confidence that we are in safe hands, like MM did when he arrived.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Gonna piggy back on this texters on 10:16 - Mar 18 with 1287 viewsDyland

I was going to start a new thread. This is the most despondent I have ever been as a Town fan. It really is the hope that kills.

Our team is so scared and stifled and poor. It is abject stuff. Good luck Mr Cook, is all I can say.

Thank you Marcus Evans Group. Actually, fook you.

I can't even raise a COYFB this week.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Locked down for the best part of a year on 10:16 - Mar 18 with 1284 viewsBseaBlue

Locked down for the best part of a year on 10:11 - Mar 18 by clive_baker

What are your thoughts on this, Lankester up front in a front 2? The more I see of him the more I think he has the attributes. In those wide roles there's a bit too much reliance on the defensive responsibilities and putting the shift in that probably finds Edwards favour. I think we need proper graft across the middle, it's why I've always liked Judge. We'll never rid players of mistakes, but we need to be busy and hard to play against, with a quick press. I'm not sure Lankester does enough of that. In a front 2 though, off a Norwood or Hawkins I could really see him doing some damage as we know he can finish and he's comfortable in the channels. I honestly think he could be a dangerous forward at this level.

I watched him lead the line against Brightlingsea a couple of seasons ago and he was excellent! Like Joe said above I think having him as an inside forward means he can cut in but certainly could do a job up top for us.

Having said that, the last time he started he looked completely shot of confidence. Hopefully Cook can instill that back into him so he can find the impressive form he had before he was injured. He has the potential to be huge for us.
Locked down for the best part of a year on 10:16 - Mar 18 with 1285 viewsSamWhiteUK

It's super frustrating because as crap as we've been, we're still in the mix. That's how bad this league is.

It's also frustrating because of the reverse - despite still being in the mix, we seem to be incapable of competing when we need to.

It's almost as if the teams above us want us to get in the playoffs. Every team has slipped up here or there. Gills beat Lincoln 3-0 away from home on Tuesday, for example.

Things keep falling into our lap, but the way we're going, we're going to keep failing to grab them.
[Redacted] on 10:17 - Mar 18 with 1281 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024