Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Friday music time. Most underrated bands. 09:40 - Mar 19 with 6570 viewsLord_Lucan

I am going to suggest a strange one because they were actually one of the biggest bands of the 70's - but should have been even bigger, they are also overlooked these days because of the glam connection.

I read Dave Hills autobiography recently and he said Slade were in the right place ant the right time but I disagree, I think if it wasn't for Glam and if they had dressed normally they would have been much bigger.

Ozzy has said that Noddy Holder has / had the best voice in the history of rock and I'm not sure you can argue much against that.

On top of Noddy you had the ultimate showman and great guitarist in Dave Hill, Jim Lea was a hugely talented musician and Don Powell was the banging man

Unfortunately they moved out to America to try and crack the USA but it was the wrong time and when they returned Punk Rock was in full flow.

Noel Gallagher has said that this song is one of the greatest songs of all time.

I think this is probably my favourite

Or this?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 09:45 - Mar 19 with 2287 viewsclive_baker

I think when you're talking underrated you've got a very valid angle here. Simply because as a child of the late 80's if somebody said Slade to me, I would say 'are you hanging up the stocking on your wall?.

Come on feel the Noise is a banger to be fair.

Would someone like Van Morrison count as underrated? As good a voice as I've ever heard and as good a collection of songs as anyone but people seem to think of Brown Eyed Girl and rarely seems to get much credit beyond that, unless I'm just missing it.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 09:46 - Mar 19 with 2273 viewsMaySixth

Shack

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 09:52 - Mar 19 with 2249 viewsAtmosphere

Miracle Legion.

[Post edited 19 Mar 2021 17:30]
Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 09:58 - Mar 19 with 2236 viewsWeWereZombies

The only time I saw Slade, and for some reason the only time I got the opportunity to see Slade, was at the Bardney (Lincoln) Festival in 1972, a chilly late May evening and they were sandwiched in between the Average White Band and The Beach Boys. They outshone both and rivalled The Faces, Buddy Miles and Rory Gallagher as best band of the weekend.

Noddy Holder does sound like a very amiable soul too, a bit at variance with the image you might construe from photographs of the time. My ex-wife was at some media do in the 1980s where the panel on stage included Holder and Chris Tarrant, who started a running joke rhyming Slade with Sade. Holder didn't seem to mind his band being called Sladé one bit, no pretentions whatsoever.

And I may be the only person who thinks 'Slade in Flame' is a good film too.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:01 - Mar 19 with 2222 viewsfooters

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 09:58 - Mar 19 by WeWereZombies

The only time I saw Slade, and for some reason the only time I got the opportunity to see Slade, was at the Bardney (Lincoln) Festival in 1972, a chilly late May evening and they were sandwiched in between the Average White Band and The Beach Boys. They outshone both and rivalled The Faces, Buddy Miles and Rory Gallagher as best band of the weekend.

Noddy Holder does sound like a very amiable soul too, a bit at variance with the image you might construe from photographs of the time. My ex-wife was at some media do in the 1980s where the panel on stage included Holder and Chris Tarrant, who started a running joke rhyming Slade with Sade. Holder didn't seem to mind his band being called Sladé one bit, no pretentions whatsoever.

They've had hits on the small screen too...

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:02 - Mar 19 with 2217 viewsMookamoo

I know they're important, but The Kinks. They had Dave Davies at the John Peel Centre a couple of years ago and they had to explain to almost everyone who he was. Everyone eventually gets into the Beatles, Stones and Zep, but somehow the Kinks pass people by.

For my generation - The Screaming Trees or Fugazi
Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:03 - Mar 19 with 2211 viewsKeno

My favourite underrated band

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:04 - Mar 19 with 2197 viewsKeno

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:02 - Mar 19 by Mookamoo

I know they're important, but The Kinks. They had Dave Davies at the John Peel Centre a couple of years ago and they had to explain to almost everyone who he was. Everyone eventually gets into the Beatles, Stones and Zep, but somehow the Kinks pass people by.

Kinks is a good shout, also from that era The Animals

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:04 - Mar 19 with 2199 viewsLord_Lucan

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 09:58 - Mar 19 by WeWereZombies

I was trying to get Slade in Flame last night but couldn't find it anywhere. The only Youtube ones are non English speaking.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:05 - Mar 19 with 2195 viewsBeckets

Doves
Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:06 - Mar 19 with 2185 viewsBarneycurley

Thanks for this, going to do a bit of spotifying now

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:09 - Mar 19 with 2176 viewsPendejo

Remember singing this one in dressing room after a 6-1 win over rivals in youth football

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:10 - Mar 19 with 2167 viewsLord_Lucan

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:02 - Mar 19 by Mookamoo

I don't know why it is but I have an irrational problem with The Kinks. In theory they should be one of my favourite bands and I don't dislike them, I just have a bit of a mental block with them. I think it's a Ray Davis problem.

When he shacked up with Chrissie Hynde that was the straw that broke the camels back.

I'll raise you The Small Faces.

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:10 - Mar 19 with 2158 viewsWeWereZombies

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:01 - Mar 19 by footers

They've had hits on the small screen too...

There actually was a sit-com where Noddy Holder played a headmaster but I can't remember the name of the show. Think it was on ITV.

Anyway, my perennial choice of underrated band:

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:14 - Mar 19 with 2132 viewsLord_Lucan

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:10 - Mar 19 by WeWereZombies

There actually was a sit-com where Noddy Holder played a headmaster but I can't remember the name of the show. Think it was on ITV.

He was the music teacher in The Grimleys and Alvin Stardust ran the local pub.

I always hoped Suzi might pop in for a gin and tonic.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2021 10:15]

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:21 - Mar 19 with 2097 viewsurbanblue

I have always thought that Echo and the Bunnymen have never risen to the heights they should have ...

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:22 - Mar 19 with 2091 viewsCoastalblue

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:27 - Mar 19 with 2086 viewsnoggin

Early days when they thought dressing as skinheads would gain them some support.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:30 - Mar 19 with 2070 viewsnoggin

For me, Ocean Colour Scene are hugely underrated. Massive catalogue of some fine music. So much better than other, more popular bands of their time.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2021 10:31]

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:30 - Mar 19 with 2063 viewsLord_Lucan

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:27 - Mar 19 by noggin

Early days when they thought dressing as skinheads would gain them some support.

Yes, it was their manager Chas Chandler who suggested it I think and all the band members hated it.

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:31 - Mar 19 with 2054 viewsBarcaBlue

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:10 - Mar 19 by WeWereZombies

Good choice, was listening to Comsat Angels in the car yesterday. Thought they were destined for more but they just seemed to disappear off the radar.

My choice is The Wake, saw them along with James supporting New Order in the early 80's. This is one of my favourite tunes from that time...

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:31 - Mar 19 with 2056 viewsyesjohn99

Saw an interview with noddy holder years ago and he said that one of the proudest moments of his career was seeing 40k Manc ‘kids’ singing along to cum on feel the noize at Maine road in a1995/6 oasis gig.
Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:36 - Mar 19 with 2029 viewsPJH

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:10 - Mar 19 by Lord_Lucan

I don't know why it is but I have an irrational problem with The Kinks. In theory they should be one of my favourite bands and I don't dislike them, I just have a bit of a mental block with them. I think it's a Ray Davis problem.

When he shacked up with Chrissie Hynde that was the straw that broke the camels back.

I'll raise you The Small Faces.

I think The Kinks formed and kept a very loyal following (me for a start) but never got the universal recognition that I think that they deserved.

I think your mental block with the leader of The Kinks includes the correct spelling of his name.

Yeah, I like The Small Faces too but another band that seemed to be an acquired taste but they made some very good music.
Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:36 - Mar 19 with 2029 viewsnoggin

Short lived but hugely influential. Listen to track 2 for the influence on the British Mod revival.

[Post edited 19 Mar 2021 10:53]

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:39 - Mar 19 with 2010 viewsLord_Lucan

Friday music time. Most underrated bands. on 10:31 - Mar 19 by yesjohn99

Saw an interview with noddy holder years ago and he said that one of the proudest moments of his career was seeing 40k Manc ‘kids’ singing along to cum on feel the noize at Maine road in a1995/6 oasis gig.

I saw that (or similar) interview last night.

I have regressed into Glam this week. I get the urge from time to time.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024