Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What I like about Paul Cook 13:45 - Mar 19 with 2651 viewsMattinLondon

Early days but there’s a few things about Paul Cook which I like.

He doesn’t t call players by their nicknames.
Doesn’t make excuses for a poor performance but is considered in his criticism.
Thinks that all professional teams, regardless of leagues, should be able to play in a modern attacking way.

I fully realise, that this post could well age horribly but can only judge on what I’ve seen and read so defat.
What I like about Paul Cook on 13:58 - Mar 19 with 2443 viewschrismakin

Cook reminds me alot of Burley. No fear. And rightly just because we are a certain level it doesnt mean we cant play like anyone else.

His preference in fullback is exactly like we had with wilnis and clapham.

I genuinely think we have a really good few years ahead of us. Maybe even a cup run!!!! Well even winning a cup game would he a great start.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

What I like about Paul Cook on 14:03 - Mar 19 with 2421 viewsArnieM

What I like about Paul Cook on 13:58 - Mar 19 by chrismakin

Cook reminds me alot of Burley. No fear. And rightly just because we are a certain level it doesnt mean we cant play like anyone else.

His preference in fullback is exactly like we had with wilnis and clapham.

I genuinely think we have a really good few years ahead of us. Maybe even a cup run!!!! Well even winning a cup game would he a great start.

Amen to that 👍

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

What I like about Paul Cook on 14:06 - Mar 19 with 2424 viewshaynes_toe1

From what i've seen so far, is actually no different to Lambert. Like you say, it's early days but if we're allowed to discuss the likes we're allowed to discuss the dislikes too. I've not seen any tactical change, switch, motivation improvement or work ethic in any of the players since he's come in, which is quite unusual for a mid-season managerial change.

But I agree, he says the right things and comes across well in all his interviews so far. Let's hope he backs up words with managerial ability.
What I like about Paul Cook on 14:11 - Mar 19 with 2399 viewsMattinLondon

What I like about Paul Cook on 14:06 - Mar 19 by haynes_toe1

From what i've seen so far, is actually no different to Lambert. Like you say, it's early days but if we're allowed to discuss the likes we're allowed to discuss the dislikes too. I've not seen any tactical change, switch, motivation improvement or work ethic in any of the players since he's come in, which is quite unusual for a mid-season managerial change.

But I agree, he says the right things and comes across well in all his interviews so far. Let's hope he backs up words with managerial ability.

I think Cook comes across as a tad more humble than Lambert ever did.

I’m hoping that Cook has both the tactical brain and personality to get things going quickly. Hopefully this will happen on Saturday.
What I like about Paul Cook on 14:12 - Mar 19 with 2393 viewschrismakin

Zzzzzzzz

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

What I like about Paul Cook on 14:13 - Mar 19 with 2393 viewschrismakin

What I like about Paul Cook on 14:11 - Mar 19 by MattinLondon

I’m hoping that Cook has both the tactical brain and personality to get things going quickly. Hopefully this will happen on Saturday.

Wouldnt entertain Haynes. He just thinks you should be able to click your fingers and suddenly turn an ipswich into man city.

What I like about Paul Cook on 14:23 - Mar 19 with 2358 viewsBlueBadger

Your yellow tail feathers are showing again.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

What I like about Paul Cook on 14:25 - Mar 19 with 2358 viewsMattinLondon

What I like about Paul Cook on 14:13 - Mar 19 by chrismakin

Wouldnt entertain Haynes. He just thinks you should be able to click your fingers and suddenly turn an ipswich into man city.

Nothing in his post suggested anything like that.
Login to get fewer ads

What I like about Paul Cook on 14:37 - Mar 19 with 2307 viewschrismakin

What I like about Paul Cook on 14:25 - Mar 19 by MattinLondon

Nothing in his post suggested anything like that.

It does actually.

Saying PC is no different to lambert. Cant see anything different. Strange for a manager coming in mid season etc

Apart from it's not a normal mid season managerial change. We are in March where you're normally looking g at the tail end of fixtures massive spaces between games and lots of training time available.

Hes had barely any training time so not sure how or why anyone would expect any different to what the squad has been doing all season.

What I like about Paul Cook on 14:45 - Mar 19 with 2282 viewsBlueWorldOrder

He has made excuses as he said that playing for Ipswich put more pressure on our players because of the club and that they were in essence not coping with that which is similar to what Lambert said about the players struggling to cope with meeting the fans expectations last season. He urged the fans to back the players who have continually let the club down though. The big issue for me so far is the fans have given Cook a free pass on this season the same way they gave Lambert a free pass when we were relegated. The truth is Lambert should have gone then and certainly should have gone last season but we keep hanging on and the support is far too kind on managers here so there is no pressure to succeed. He should get a year to take us up, or have us in the position to go up automatically. If in 1 year we are still mid-table in League One he needs to go. This should be a hard job and there should be expectations on the managers and players to deliver. If not why are we even here? They don't tolerate it at Norwich do they and they are universe away from us in terms of quality. We hang on for years until it gets worse.

Poll: Should we stop changing kits every season?

What I like about Paul Cook on 14:58 - Mar 19 with 2226 viewsBlueBadger

Plus, he's a Norwich fan.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

What I like about Paul Cook on 14:59 - Mar 19 with 2232 viewsKeaneish

Here's what i've seen changed so far...

- Full backs are pushed on high and wide rather than a square starting position
- Overlapping full backs (used infrequently but being encouraged)
- Full backs defending narrow when out of possession - this was happening with Gill
- Centre backs starting position a lot higher up the pitch - defending less deep
- Less playing out from the back in our 18 although this was killed under Gill
- Players encouraged to run with the ball and commit the opposition
- More bodies getting in the box on the break

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

What I like about Paul Cook on 15:18 - Mar 19 with 2193 viewsdirtyboy

What I like about Paul Cook on 14:59 - Mar 19 by Keaneish

- Full backs defending narrow when out of possession - this was happening with Gill
- Centre backs starting position a lot higher up the pitch - defending less deep

Would agree there's been a definite change, some under Gill.

Almost like Gill knew Cook was coming and implemented Cook's will early.

As you mention, other subtle changes and a couple of wins on the bounce would properly do wonders.
What I like about Paul Cook on 18:05 - Mar 19 with 2058 viewsstonojnr

What I like about Paul Cook on 14:11 - Mar 19 by MattinLondon

dont judge Cook now against how Lambert was by the end, Lambert became progressively less humble as time went on. Right back at the beginning Lambert was being praised on this board for how well he'd caught the mood of the fans and was telling us the honest things that we wanted to hear, thats exactly what Cook is doing now, the difference will be if there is any substance to what Cook says in results achieved on the pitch, else he'll just be PR Paul Mk2.
What I like about Paul Cook on 18:51 - Mar 19 with 2013 viewshaynes_toe1

What I like about Paul Cook on 14:58 - Mar 19 by BlueBadger

Plus, he's a Norwich fan.

I mean, I'm really not.

Everyone loved how Lambert spoke when he first came here.

In terms of humbleness there's bound to be a difference between Lambert and Cook - Lambert has managed in the Premier League for multiple clubs. Cooks highest experience is half a season in the championship with Wigan.

I really hope Cook works out and his pedigree around this level of football is decent. Id like to see some evidence that he's implementing changes that are having a positive effect on the pitch. I dont see whats wrong in saying we haven't seen that YET. I'm not saying we won't, I'm saying we haven't. Its a fact.
What I like about Paul Cook on 18:58 - Mar 19 with 1995 viewsVic

I actually agree with Haynsey on this one. After the initial reservations most were very quickly won over by Lamberts words and actions - siting down to listen to section 6, getting Butch, Warky, etc along and really talking up the the history of the club. Likewise he talked about supporters and so many of us on here were saying ‘he gets it’ and ‘we’ve got our club back’.

It was really only when it became clear that he wasn’t turning things on the pitch that we began to see through him.

So whilst I like the cut of Cook’s jib, I think it’s still reasonable to be cautious.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

What I like about Paul Cook on 19:22 - Mar 19 with 1950 viewschrismakin

What I like about Paul Cook on 18:58 - Mar 19 by Vic

I actually agree with Haynsey on this one. After the initial reservations most were very quickly won over by Lamberts words and actions - siting down to listen to section 6, getting Butch, Warky, etc along and really talking up the the history of the club. Likewise he talked about supporters and so many of us on here were saying ‘he gets it’ and ‘we’ve got our club back’.

It was really only when it became clear that he wasn’t turning things on the pitch that we began to see through him.

So whilst I like the cut of Cook’s jib, I think it’s still reasonable to be cautious.

I get that. But he doesnt have to be so quick to make sure he puts a dampner on peoples positive thoughts.

By all means come back if it goes sour but I dont see any benefit in trying to overturn someone's positivity

What I like about Paul Cook on 20:01 - Mar 19 with 1895 viewsStewart27

What I like about Paul Cook on 19:22 - Mar 19 by chrismakin

I get that. But he doesnt have to be so quick to make sure he puts a dampner on peoples positive thoughts.

By all means come back if it goes sour but I dont see any benefit in trying to overturn someone's positivity

I think we can all agree that Cook has had a rubbish start. Says the right things but the football has been rubbish. Arguably our 2 worst performances this season have been in the last 4 games.

That’s not to say that people genuinely want him to turn it around. I’m just cautious about the words until we see things on the pitch.

I’m sure it will come.
What I like about Paul Cook on 20:05 - Mar 19 with 1886 viewschrismakin

What I like about Paul Cook on 20:01 - Mar 19 by Stewart27

I think we can all agree that Cook has had a rubbish start. Says the right things but the football has been rubbish. Arguably our 2 worst performances this season have been in the last 4 games.

That’s not to say that people genuinely want him to turn it around. I’m just cautious about the words until we see things on the pitch.

I’m sure it will come.

His start is no different than what should have been expected that is the problem

What I like about Paul Cook on 20:10 - Mar 19 with 1878 viewsStewart27

What I like about Paul Cook on 20:05 - Mar 19 by chrismakin

His start is no different than what should have been expected that is the problem

I disagree slightly.

We’d won 3 on the trot.

We shouldn’t have been that bad against Gillingham and Fleetwood.
What I like about Paul Cook on 20:16 - Mar 19 with 1856 viewschrismakin

What I like about Paul Cook on 20:10 - Mar 19 by Stewart27

I disagree slightly.

We’d won 3 on the trot.

We shouldn’t have been that bad against Gillingham and Fleetwood.

Against sides on bad runs of form at the time. Hull for example were 15th in the form table at the time.

With no training time the squad will continue to do what it has all season. Beat teams with bad form. Struggle against those in form. It's been the case all the way through and until we get some training in there is no way of changing this side apart from as PC says and rightly so try to keep things positive despite knowing deep down it's a sht show
[Post edited 19 Mar 2021 20:21]

What I like about Paul Cook on 22:18 - Mar 19 with 1720 viewsSwansea_Blue

Me neither. Yes, I like what he says more than I have any other manager lately, but I don't think we get points for that.

I was hoping for a bounce and disappointed we haven't had one. They do happen, and fairly regularly. It'd be a bit harsh to criticise him for that though; this could take a while to sort out. I'd want to see a clear direction developing by fairly early next season. Just progress - we haven't seen progress for bloody years.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2021 22:20]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What I like about Paul Cook on 06:41 - Mar 20 with 1591 viewsChurchman

What I like about Paul Cook on 22:18 - Mar 19 by Swansea_Blue

Me neither. Yes, I like what he says more than I have any other manager lately, but I don't think we get points for that.

I was hoping for a bounce and disappointed we haven't had one. They do happen, and fairly regularly. It'd be a bit harsh to criticise him for that though; this could take a while to sort out. I'd want to see a clear direction developing by fairly early next season. Just progress - we haven't seen progress for bloody years.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2021 22:20]

I too hoped the players would push on after three good results and a new manager. Probably kidding myself with relief that awful PL was gone, liking the sound of PCs words and record, takeover possibility. It was all looking a bit more sunlit uplands.

The reality is that the team and bloated squad is what it is. Given the performance level over a very long time from this lot, disappointing efforts against Gillingham and Fleetwood were not a surprise. It was never going to change overnight and the same problems are still there. If Cook is given time, space and support, I hope and think he’ll do a good job.

I believe it’s unrealistic to think anything will improve before the summer. Like Swansea Blue, I just want to see direction and progress next season.
What I like about Paul Cook on 07:45 - Mar 20 with 1505 viewsArnieM

Thing is Cook has to try and create a winning mentality with the squad ( Lamberts) at his disposal. Don’t know what you think, but I feel this squad is a spent force . It’s tired, and stale . I think we’ll see the real Paul Cook when he’s got in the players he feels can play the style / formation of football thst he’s got success with. What this squad has shown is that it’s incapable of doing what’s asked of them on a consistent basis. I think PC is a good way down the road of who to keep, who to offload ( for various reasons) . I think he will be professionally ruthless over the coming weeks / months.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

What I like about Paul Cook on 09:13 - Mar 20 with 1445 viewspointofblue

What I like about Paul Cook on 14:59 - Mar 19 by Keaneish

I agree to an extent but what bothers me is he is trying to install a style of play but not use the players at his disposal to do it.

- He wants the fullbacks to push on high and wide, overlapping, yet plays Chambers there over the more suitable Matheson. Maybe Chambers suits the defending narrowly mantra, admittedly
- He wants centre backs starting higher up the pitch yet our most athletic centre back (who should have the ability to therefore get back quickly) has seemingly been sent to Siberia. This also forces the full backs higher and... well, see above
- Players encouraged to run with the ball yet Bishop is one of the only players to be dropped by Cook
- Other than the first 20 minutes v Plymouth I wouldn’t say I’ve noticed a difference in getting players in the box on the break

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024