Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cold call increase? 14:52 - Mar 19 with 899 viewsRobTheMonk

Has anyone else been getting loads of cold calls recently? I'm probably getting 5x more since the start of this year.

I ignore most of them but occasionally pick up to see what they're trying to sell me, accident I've been in, tax fraud I've committed etc etc.
Cold call increase? on 14:55 - Mar 19 with 887 viewsBlueBadger

Mrs Badger answers them with stuff like 'oooh, computer errors you say? I can't speak to you now but that could be quite serious for this workplace. Let me take your name and number and I'll get someone from this police station to call you back'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Cold call increase? on 15:00 - Mar 19 with 876 viewsfactual_blue

Cold call increase? on 14:55 - Mar 19 by BlueBadger

Mrs Badger answers them with stuff like 'oooh, computer errors you say? I can't speak to you now but that could be quite serious for this workplace. Let me take your name and number and I'll get someone from this police station to call you back'.

I know of an old lady who got a 'this is Microsoft, we need to fix your computer' call. She sounded concerned, asked them what to do.

'Well you need to let us remotely access your computer. Can you do that for us?'

'I'd love to, but I don't actually own a computer.'

She told me that the caller then displayed a remarkable grasp of the vernacular.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Cold call increase? on 15:03 - Mar 19 with 869 viewsBlueBadger

Cold call increase? on 15:00 - Mar 19 by factual_blue

I know of an old lady who got a 'this is Microsoft, we need to fix your computer' call. She sounded concerned, asked them what to do.

'Well you need to let us remotely access your computer. Can you do that for us?'

She told me that the caller then displayed a remarkable grasp of the vernacular.

The other thing she likes to do is ask them if their parents are proud of them. That tends to get you a good demonstration of their knowledge of English slang words.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Cold call increase? on 15:30 - Mar 19 with 838 viewsjaykay

i most have ordered 20 I phones this week alone , according to the 4 phone calls i get a day from " amazon"

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Cold call increase? on 16:26 - Mar 19 with 798 viewsDebsyAngel

Not this week, but last week, it was every few hours for 3 days. We kept getting the "you will be cut off from the internet" one. Constantly!
Cold call increase? on 18:15 - Mar 19 with 733 viewsPlums

Yep, definite increase in the last fortnight. They seem to like calling before 8am now as well which is nice. I keep them talking for as long as I can or until I get bored. The longer I tie them up, the less likely they are to be conning vulnerable people.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Cold call increase? on 09:27 - Mar 20 with 619 viewsbritbiker

Every day. In fact they are the only calls we get on the landline since my mum died. We only answer in case its our GP who doesn't like using our mobile numbers.

Get loads of the obvious ones, Amazon order, Microsoft and internet cut off ect. Just lately been getting a lot of Inland Revenue unpaid debt and National Insurance number going to be suspended calls. Mostly really poorly worded and automated.

Used to keep the the personal ones on line for a while until the wife answered one and an asian sounding call centre man said we know where you live and are going to rape your daughter. We just put the phone down now.

About six years ago I had one firm ring me on my mobile about ten times a day for about two weeks. I would block the number but they changed theirs every day. I researched the numbers and it was all over the internet as a legitimate company. I had to answer my phone as it was used for work and clients. Bloody annoying.

One time I was up a ladder painting so I answered but put the phone next to my radio and five minutes later the bloke was still there waiting for me to return. The company involved I believe got a large fine when the govrrnment tightened the rules.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2021 9:31]
Cold call increase? on 09:51 - Mar 20 with 589 viewsAce_High1

I best thing I ever did when I last moved was to not get a landline telephone.

Now I get 1 or 2 cold calls on my mobile all year.
Login to get fewer ads

Cold call increase? on 10:59 - Mar 20 with 550 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I have had them since registering for Covid tests.

Never had them before.

Now getting them regularly.

EDIT: I recognise that correlation is not necessarily causation but I have found this suspicious, especially with Dido Harding's history.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2021 11:06]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Cold call increase? on 11:04 - Mar 20 with 540 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Cold call increase? on 15:00 - Mar 19 by factual_blue

There was a time I used to get them on my landline despite being ex-directory and never giving the number out. When I had plenty of time I would keep them on the line telling them the computer was taking a long time to load because it is so old. I would keep saying there was some issue or other and the battery went flat etc. Eventually after they have told me how they can see how bad the problem is from all I have told them, and I tell them they cannot have access to my computer they ask why I wasted their time. I said because it stops them defrauding some poor person who didn't understand.

We stopped getting them on the landline by getting a call screening. Must be a pain for anyone who does have our number and need to get through and we haven't added to the clear list but stopped all cold calls.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Cold call increase? on 11:15 - Mar 20 with 519 viewsnorfsufblue

Cold call increase? on 11:04 - Mar 20 by Nthsuffolkblue

There was a time I used to get them on my landline despite being ex-directory and never giving the number out. When I had plenty of time I would keep them on the line telling them the computer was taking a long time to load because it is so old. I would keep saying there was some issue or other and the battery went flat etc. Eventually after they have told me how they can see how bad the problem is from all I have told them, and I tell them they cannot have access to my computer they ask why I wasted their time. I said because it stops them defrauding some poor person who didn't understand.

We stopped getting them on the landline by getting a call screening. Must be a pain for anyone who does have our number and need to get through and we haven't added to the clear list but stopped all cold calls.

Found Sky talkshield to be very effective in keeping the bots out and anyone else has to give a name so its quiet easy to identify the genuine calls before you let them through
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024