Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
5-3-2 08:42 - Mar 20 with 926 viewsHackneyblueboy

Thinking about our current squad, not sure why we've been wedded to 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 all season. We have a real lack of decent wide forwards and we're not really blessed with strikers who can play up top on their own. Surely going back to 2 up top would be more suitable?

Holy
KVY Chambo Woolf Wilson Kenlock
Bishop Dozell Judge
Norwood Jackson

KVY is interchangeable with Mattheson and Parrott could also play in a 2 up top I'm sure. Plenty of options at number 10 for Judge's role and lots of centre backs to choose from.

[Post edited 20 Mar 2021 8:43]
5-3-2 on 08:48 - Mar 20 with 898 viewsKieran_Knows

If the players can’t adapt to 4-2-3-1, which has served Cook well in the past, then why should he go against that?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

5-3-2 on 08:51 - Mar 20 with 887 viewsHackneyblueboy

5-3-2 on 08:48 - Mar 20 by Kieran_Knows

If the players can’t adapt to 4-2-3-1, which has served Cook well in the past, then why should he go against that?

Do you have any confidence that these group of players can adapt to it. Time will tell. Today is a big test
5-3-2 on 08:52 - Mar 20 with 881 viewsChrisd

Blimey, KVY starting after being out for 17 months and not really playing any competitive games? Really can’t see that personally. Training fitness isn’t the same as match fitness. I agree though about the two up front, Jackson certainly isn’t a lone striker, but his partnership with Norwood could give us goals, we are really lacking in this department. Nevertheless the supply line in that midfield area has been a problem for sometime and continues to be, something needs changing. However, PC has shown in his previous managerial roles he’s very rid in his team formations. It will be interesting come 12pm today for the team selection, that’s the bit I’ve enjoyed most from this season. That speaks volumes.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

5-3-2 on 08:54 - Mar 20 with 876 viewsPJH

5-3-2 on 08:48 - Mar 20 by Kieran_Knows

I think that IF the aim this season is to get promoted, which I certainly hope that is it is, then it seems common sense to me to make the best use of what is available here NOW.

It seems that it is difficult to find a combination of players here at the moment to successfully play one up front so I would have thought it makes sense to try a different formation. One that actually works might then be found.

Over the summer and beyond he could worry about getting players in to suit the system but at this moment I think he should be playing a system to suit the players.
5-3-2 on 09:07 - Mar 20 with 845 viewsKieran_Knows

5-3-2 on 08:54 - Mar 20 by PJH

I think that IF the aim this season is to get promoted, which I certainly hope that is it is, then it seems common sense to me to make the best use of what is available here NOW.

It seems that it is difficult to find a combination of players here at the moment to successfully play one up front so I would have thought it makes sense to try a different formation. One that actually works might then be found.

Over the summer and beyond he could worry about getting players in to suit the system but at this moment I think he should be playing a system to suit the players.

But what is the best available formation to what we have? Let’s not forget, Lambert chopped and changed formation/players last season and we failed miserably (that’s not a defence of Lambert).

I think it says more about the players now, then formations etc. This club really does need a cultural shift, in terms of what we aim to do, and I just think it’s about time the players get on board.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

5-3-2 on 09:14 - Mar 20 with 834 viewsRomeo4

5-3-2 is a system that can work. But like any other formation it all depends on whether you are good enough to impose yourselves on the opposition and I have no confidence that this current group of players is capable of that.
5-3-2 on 09:27 - Mar 20 with 801 viewsEl_Fenix

That midfield three has decent skills. However, it would be lightweight and too easily overrun.

ITFC shall rise like a phoenix from the ashes of its long decline!

5-3-2 on 09:48 - Mar 20 with 747 viewspointofblue

5-3-2 on 09:27 - Mar 20 by El_Fenix

That midfield three has decent skills. However, it would be lightweight and too easily overrun.

Though no different from a 4-2-3-1 in that regard. With Downes and Nolan injured plus Skuse nowhere near match fitness we’re missing that bite whatever team we put out.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

5-3-2 on 09:55 - Mar 20 with 735 viewsPJH

5-3-2 on 09:48 - Mar 20 by pointofblue

Though no different from a 4-2-3-1 in that regard. With Downes and Nolan injured plus Skuse nowhere near match fitness we’re missing that bite whatever team we put out.

Not sure that Nolan has got bite, he got sent off for just about the only tackle that he has made in his three years here.
5-3-2 on 09:59 - Mar 20 with 725 viewsPJH

5-3-2 on 09:07 - Mar 20 by Kieran_Knows

But what is the best available formation to what we have? Let’s not forget, Lambert chopped and changed formation/players last season and we failed miserably (that’s not a defence of Lambert).

I think it says more about the players now, then formations etc. This club really does need a cultural shift, in terms of what we aim to do, and I just think it’s about time the players get on board.

I think that we would increase our chances of scoring if we played two up front rather than one so IF you play two there it could be either 5-3-2 or 4-4-2 but for 5-3-2 then KVY needs to be fit and firing. Not sure who on the left side of the 5 though.
5-3-2 on 10:03 - Mar 20 with 713 viewspointofblue

5-3-2 on 09:55 - Mar 20 by PJH

Not sure that Nolan has got bite, he got sent off for just about the only tackle that he has made in his three years here.

I think he is more of a terrier than Dozzell and Bishop. Admittedly that’s not saying very much.

It feels like the Downes injury was a sliding doors moment - after a shaky ten minutes we were just starting to turn the screw again when it happened. Would we have been more comfortable in the second half with him there? Would we have performed better at Fleetwood? I want to say yes to both.

5-3-2 on 10:07 - Mar 20 with 705 viewsPJH

5-3-2 on 10:03 - Mar 20 by pointofblue

I think he is more of a terrier than Dozzell and Bishop. Admittedly that’s not saying very much.

It feels like the Downes injury was a sliding doors moment - after a shaky ten minutes we were just starting to turn the screw again when it happened. Would we have been more comfortable in the second half with him there? Would we have performed better at Fleetwood? I want to say yes to both.

There is no doubt that we miss Downes but in my opinion, Nolan not being available makes absolutely no difference.

Most of his passes seemed to be to Woolf or McGuiness so with them not in the side either he would have nobody to pass to.
5-3-2 on 10:10 - Mar 20 with 699 viewsRomeo4

Such a shame that we couldn’t get Huws back to anything like the player he was. He’d be ideal to provide some box-to-box drive from midfield that we’re so lacking.
5-3-2 on 10:23 - Mar 20 with 679 viewsPilgrimblue

5-3-2 on 10:10 - Mar 20 by Romeo4

Such a shame that we couldn’t get Huws back to anything like the player he was. He’d be ideal to provide some box-to-box drive from midfield that we’re so lacking.

Thats' a good shout as his absense has cost us, if he'd been fit and playing like he started then we'd have a solution.
But for now i'd definitely go for 532 and put Woolfy in the central role, he likes to get forward can tackle etc. Its' essential we have two up front as forwards aren't good enough on their own. Get back to Jackson/Norwood as it worked before.
5-3-2 on 10:24 - Mar 20 with 675 viewspointofblue

5-3-2 on 10:23 - Mar 20 by Pilgrimblue

Thats' a good shout as his absense has cost us, if he'd been fit and playing like he started then we'd have a solution.
But for now i'd definitely go for 532 and put Woolfy in the central role, he likes to get forward can tackle etc. Its' essential we have two up front as forwards aren't good enough on their own. Get back to Jackson/Norwood as it worked before.

I think Woolfenden’s done here but at the rate we’re going we couldn’t be anymore powderpuff trying him in that role.

5-3-2 on 10:33 - Mar 20 with 663 viewsPJH

5-3-2 on 10:10 - Mar 20 by Romeo4

Yes, a Huws as he was should be/would be outstanding at this level and very good at the level above but it seems that a Huws as he was will not be seen again.

It is a shame.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024