Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick 08:44 - Mar 21 with 4818 viewsGarv

Fails to win a derby game for 5 years while Town boss

Wins his first derby game as Cardiff manager within a few months.

Have to laugh really.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Mick on 08:50 - Mar 21 with 2483 viewsMullet

I dunno how it’s comparable. Were they singing with the Swans or anything?
[Post edited 21 Mar 2021 8:50]

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Mick on 08:53 - Mar 21 with 2462 viewsHerbivore

I imagine the gulf in resources between Cardiff and Swansea isn't as significant as the gulf between us and Norwich was and is.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mick on 08:54 - Mar 21 with 2455 viewsPJH

Interesting how two of our ex managers are doing at their 'new' clubs.

Cardiff under MM have got 29 points from 14 games.

Grimsby under Hurst have got 8 points from 14 games.
Mick on 09:06 - Mar 21 with 2384 viewsjudespiveyg

Mick on 08:50 - Mar 21 by Mullet

You're telling me you don't see how two different derby games under the same manager are comparable? You do realise this post isn't an attack on McCarthy right? What it is is a 'typical Ipswich' thread.

Also for what it's worth drunken idiots singing with Norwich fans at that one game probably wasn't the reason we were unable to beat them in eight attempts.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2021 9:12]

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Mick on 09:16 - Mar 21 with 2339 viewsHerbivore

Mick on 09:06 - Mar 21 by judespiveyg

You're telling me you don't see how two different derby games under the same manager are comparable? You do realise this post isn't an attack on McCarthy right? What it is is a 'typical Ipswich' thread.

Also for what it's worth drunken idiots singing with Norwich fans at that one game probably wasn't the reason we were unable to beat them in eight attempts.

I think the fact they had players on their bench that cost more than our entire squad was probably one of the major factors.

Mick on 09:22 - Mar 21 with 2315 viewstextbackup

I struggle with this singing with norwich thing.

I was there that day, with 1999 others, the only time i heard anything remotely Town/Them singing wise was when James Maddison got a huge ‘he’s just too good for you’ from them, and we responded with an ironic ‘Hes just too good for you’

That can’t surely be what the MM fans boys harp on about, is it?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Mick on 09:25 - Mar 21 with 2293 viewsHerbivore

Mick on 09:22 - Mar 21 by textbackup

I struggle with this singing with norwich thing.

I was there that day, with 1999 others, the only time i heard anything remotely Town/Them singing wise was when James Maddison got a huge ‘he’s just too good for you’ from them, and we responded with an ironic ‘Hes just too good for you’

That can’t surely be what the MM fans boys harp on about, is it?

It was the chanting of "your football is sh!t". It was clearly audible on the TV so I'm sure you would have heard it in the ground as well.

Mick on 09:26 - Mar 21 with 2270 viewsjudespiveyg

Mick on 09:16 - Mar 21 by Herbivore

I think the fact they had players on their bench that cost more than our entire squad was probably one of the major factors.

I agree that they definitely had the better squad for those years, (except for maybe 17/18 when they were basically relying on Maddison to bail them out every week) them finishing above us was a fair reflection of ability. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to find it surprising that we couldn't beat them once in eight attempts, you'd assume that on one of those occasions luck would be on Ipswich's side. Newcastle had a better squad than anything Norwich had those years and we outplayed them in 2017.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2021 9:36]

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Login to get fewer ads

Mick on 09:37 - Mar 21 with 2225 viewsKeaneish

A win is a win or is it? I think Cardiff fans, while grateful for the win, will be breathing a sigh of relief and will know they didn’t deserve it. Scratching out a 1-0 with a long throw into the box - eurgh.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Mick on 10:12 - Mar 21 with 2101 viewsMullet

Who said it was an attack? The fact you lot are so binary and hypocritical with your “move on” until you can moan about him is funny.

The fact the last part of your post agrees with me that the scenarios aren’t comparable, telling.

Maybe had he had the backing in and off the pitch here throughout eh?

Mick on 10:16 - Mar 21 with 2078 viewswkj

Mick on 10:12 - Mar 21 by Mullet

Who said it was an attack? The fact you lot are so binary and hypocritical with your “move on” until you can moan about him is funny.

The fact the last part of your post agrees with me that the scenarios aren’t comparable, telling.

I agree that it was silly. Mick became almost impossible to back after the Lincoln game for me. Still, there was a lot of booing going on - and even at young players - so clearly a section of our fan base were acting like fannies back then.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Mick on 10:17 - Mar 21 with 2077 viewstextbackup

Mick on 09:25 - Mar 21 by Herbivore

It was the chanting of "your football is sh!t". It was clearly audible on the TV so I'm sure you would have heard it in the ground as well.

Nope

Mick on 10:18 - Mar 21 with 2071 viewsbluejacko

I am sure that the vast majority of us don’t care what or how he is doing,
Get over it he has been gone a good while now you know🙄
Mick on 10:20 - Mar 21 with 2053 viewstextbackup

Mick on 08:50 - Mar 21 by Mullet

Cardiff Swansea is a local derby, as is Ipswich Norwich.

I’d think that’s how the two compare

Mick on 10:23 - Mar 21 with 2039 viewsKeaneish

Mick on 10:12 - Mar 21 by Mullet

“You lot” - the irony in your statement about not being “able to move on” isn’t lost on us, Mullet. Still seething with contempt after all this time; so unnecessary.

Mick on 10:26 - Mar 21 with 2029 viewspatrickswell

Mick on 09:26 - Mar 21 by judespiveyg

I agree that they definitely had the better squad for those years, (except for maybe 17/18 when they were basically relying on Maddison to bail them out every week) them finishing above us was a fair reflection of ability. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to find it surprising that we couldn't beat them once in eight attempts, you'd assume that on one of those occasions luck would be on Ipswich's side. Newcastle had a better squad than anything Norwich had those years and we outplayed them in 2017.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2021 9:36]

Taking the lead in that game after 89 minutes and still not winning summed up this club to a tee. Players, management, owners just get stuck in this spiral where they give the fans who follow them nothing to get excited about. What’s worse is the attitude that’s sprung up from the club whereby they can’t seem to understand why we might be getting upset at the constant cycle of failure and mediocrity that’s served up.
Mick on 10:29 - Mar 21 with 2016 viewshaynes_toe1

Mick on 09:37 - Mar 21 by Keaneish

A win is a win or is it? I think Cardiff fans, while grateful for the win, will be breathing a sigh of relief and will know they didn’t deserve it. Scratching out a 1-0 with a long throw into the box - eurgh.

Their fans seem delighted with a Derby win where they beat a team above them at the same time.

Actually, their fans are in general delighted with the job Mick has done. Because they're winning football matches, which is the job of a manager.
Mick on 10:31 - Mar 21 with 2009 viewsbraveblue

Who cares?
Mick on 10:40 - Mar 21 with 1980 viewsBlueBadger

If only he'd thought to buy some beers and spend two and half years getting us to mid table in the third division instead, you'd have forgiven him anything.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2021 15:51]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Mick on 10:43 - Mar 21 with 1967 viewslongtimefan

Mick on 09:37 - Mar 21 by Keaneish

Yeh. Scratching out a 1-0 nil win. Who on earth would want that? Far better a 2-1 loss
Mick on 10:49 - Mar 21 with 1945 viewsBlueBadger

Mick on 10:17 - Mar 21 by textbackup

Nope

You weren't singing with them, you were singing near them?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Mick on 10:49 - Mar 21 with 1946 viewsRadlett_blue

Mick on 10:26 - Mar 21 by patrickswell

Taking the lead in that game after 89 minutes and still not winning summed up this club to a tee. Players, management, owners just get stuck in this spiral where they give the fans who follow them nothing to get excited about. What’s worse is the attitude that’s sprung up from the club whereby they can’t seem to understand why we might be getting upset at the constant cycle of failure and mediocrity that’s served up.

Indeed. So many disappointing things have happened over the last umpteen years if you're a Town fan, but when we took the lead in the 89th minute of a scruffy game, I thought "Well, at last we've put one over Norwich" and only Town could fail to hold on to that lead.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Mick on 10:49 - Mar 21 with 1943 viewsBlueBadger

Mick on 10:31 - Mar 21 by braveblue

Who cares?

The OP, you....

Mick on 10:51 - Mar 21 with 1936 viewsMullet

Mick on 10:16 - Mar 21 by wkj

I agree that it was silly. Mick became almost impossible to back after the Lincoln game for me. Still, there was a lot of booing going on - and even at young players - so clearly a section of our fan base were acting like fannies back then.

Given they turned over Burnley next and our lot persisted is hilarious. Especially the pious football experts who are wrong at every turn, even when rewriting history themselves in the topic.

I guess that’s the modern football fan for you.

Mick on 10:52 - Mar 21 with 1933 viewsKeaneish

Mick on 10:43 - Mar 21 by longtimefan

Yeh. Scratching out a 1-0 nil win. Who on earth would want that? Far better a 2-1 loss

Ah yes, this old conversation again, pragmatism over football. Think this conversation has been done to death on here with no conclusion.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024