Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
[Redacted] 11:34 - Mar 22 with 3382 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Ipswich history geeks. on 11:40 - Mar 22 with 2786 viewsKeno

Castle Hill - there was a castle on a hill

Tower Ramparts - was originally a prison into which they put very bad teenagers, then it became a school into which they put very bad teenagers,
[Post edited 22 Mar 2021 11:52]

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Ipswich history geeks. on 11:46 - Mar 22 with 2775 viewsPhilTWTD

On a not very related note, but something which I was reminded of by your post, I discovered last week that my great-grandmother, who I wasn't aware had much of an Ipswich connection, was living at the nunnery, as it was referred to, on Woodbridge Road when the 1881 census was taken, she was studying to be a domestic servant rather than having taken a vow.

Looking around that was at St Mary's, which 100 years on was where we attended midnight mass among other services and was just up the road from where I lived for many years.
[Redacted] on 11:47 - Mar 22 with 2753 viewsvictorywilhappen

Ipswich history geeks. on 11:40 - Mar 22 by Keno

Castle Hill - there was a castle on a hill

Tower Ramparts - was originally a prison into which they put very bad teenagers, then it became a school into which they put very bad teenagers,
[Post edited 22 Mar 2021 11:52]

[Redacted]
Ipswich history geeks. on 11:48 - Mar 22 with 2748 viewsfactual_blue

Ipswich history geeks. on 11:46 - Mar 22 by PhilTWTD

On a not very related note, but something which I was reminded of by your post, I discovered last week that my great-grandmother, who I wasn't aware had much of an Ipswich connection, was living at the nunnery, as it was referred to, on Woodbridge Road when the 1881 census was taken, she was studying to be a domestic servant rather than having taken a vow.

Looking around that was at St Mary's, which 100 years on was where we attended midnight mass among other services and was just up the road from where I lived for many years.

I hope it wasn't a nunnery in the Shakespearean sense!

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Ipswich history geeks. on 11:50 - Mar 22 with 2734 viewsKeno

for old Ipswich geeks how about a map of the town circa 1610

I dont think the centre has changed that much has it?

Ipswich history geeks. on 11:52 - Mar 22 with 2725 viewsPhilTWTD

Ipswich history geeks. on 11:48 - Mar 22 by factual_blue

I hope it wasn't a nunnery in the Shakespearean sense!

I would hope not, she was nine at the time.
[Redacted] on 11:52 - Mar 22 with 2727 viewsvictorywilhappen

Ipswich history geeks. on 11:46 - Mar 22 by PhilTWTD

[Redacted]
[Redacted] on 11:53 - Mar 22 with 2716 viewsvictorywilhappen

Ipswich history geeks. on 11:50 - Mar 22 by Keno

[Redacted]
Login to get fewer ads

Ipswich history geeks. on 11:57 - Mar 22 with 2704 viewsBloomBlue

Tower Ramparts, isn't that something to do with when they built ditches and ramparts as fortification and that was on the banks of one such fortification?
Ipswich history geeks. on 12:01 - Mar 22 with 2669 viewseastangliaisblue

Ipswich history geeks. on 11:57 - Mar 22 by BloomBlue

Tower Ramparts, isn't that something to do with when they built ditches and ramparts as fortification and that was on the banks of one such fortification?

It is thought the Vikings raised these ramparts once they had conquered the town.
Ipswich history geeks. on 12:03 - Mar 22 with 2664 viewsstonojnr

Tower Ramparts, well quite literally the defensive ramparts of the town, probably with a watch tower of some kind at that point, it was the northern line of the towns wall if you like except it wasnt a proper wall there just a rampart ditch, Pykenhams gate,on north gate street was the northern gate entrance to the town.

Castle Hill, I believe there genuinely was supposed to be a castle in the town probably only a small wooden one that wasnt upgraded and simply disappeared, its location at Castle Hill is disputed because you wouldnt build a castle at Castle Hill if it was linked to the town because if the northern defensive wall is at Tower ramparts you cant see it and its a long way to walk, most castles built to control areas where built in the centre of populace. There is a Roman villa there so it was a settlement of somekind at some stage but it may just be a coincidence of naming

California was being built around the time of the California gold rush

Maidenhall, quite possibly, most place names are quite literal translations like that, but dont be tempted to think its always that simple somewhere like Woodbridge, wasnt anything to do with a wooden bridge, its actually Wodenbrycge, Wodens Bridge or more likely actually Odins place, which if you think of the Sutton Hoo connection, links up.
Ipswich history geeks. on 12:04 - Mar 22 with 2655 viewsEwan_Oozami

Bet the congestion round rush hour was terrible even then...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Ipswich history geeks. on 12:04 - Mar 22 with 2660 viewsMookamoo

This explains California
https://www.ipswich.gov.uk/sites/www.ipswich.gov.uk/files/California.pdf

Time Team did Castle Hill
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Team_(series_11)
[Post edited 22 Mar 2021 12:09]
Ipswich history geeks. on 12:08 - Mar 22 with 2632 viewsKeno

Ipswich history geeks. on 12:04 - Mar 22 by Ewan_Oozami

Bet the congestion round rush hour was terrible even then...

The horrid smell coming from all the animals and unclean people must have been just like Weatherspoons on a Friday

Ipswich history geeks. on 12:10 - Mar 22 with 2619 viewsPhilTWTD

[Redacted] on 11:52 - Mar 22 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

Yes, that sounds like the set-up.
Ipswich history geeks. on 12:12 - Mar 22 with 2613 viewshype313

One question that no one seems to have def info on is which is older, Colchester or Ipswich?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Ipswich history geeks. on 12:13 - Mar 22 with 2607 viewsfactual_blue

Ipswich history geeks. on 12:08 - Mar 22 by Keno

The horrid smell coming from all the animals and unclean people must have been just like Weatherspoons on a Friday

We'll take your word on the 'spoons analogy Keno.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Ipswich history geeks. on 12:18 - Mar 22 with 2597 viewsleitrimblue

Ipswich history geeks. on 12:12 - Mar 22 by hype313

One question that no one seems to have def info on is which is older, Colchester or Ipswich?

Colchester (Camulodunum)
Ipswich history geeks. on 12:23 - Mar 22 with 2579 viewsstringy

Ipswich .v. Colchester - depends on what exactly it is you are asking. In terms of absolute age then the Stoke Bridge work produced good Palaeolithic and there are stray finds of very early date from various locales (Colchester may well have similar stuff, not up to speed on them).

In terms of earliest major settlement then Colchester as Camulodnum a very important Roman town, but in terms of continually inhabited town then that's us, as Colchester very much crashed at end of Roma period (so called 'dark ages'). We have Early Saxon burial ground at Buttermarket (I found the first grave!) and continued to grow thereafter.

It used to be between us and Southampton as to who was the oldfest continually inhabited town in Britain (again London was meant to have crashed somewhat, maybe that view's since been revised).
Ipswich history geeks. on 12:26 - Mar 22 with 2565 viewsstringy

Castle Hill Whitton - sure I was told once but forgot; alas unlikely to relate to the place name, but this is where our major Roman villa is located - as dug by Basil Brown originally, then us oiks in 1989, then a Time Team episode I believe
Ipswich history geeks. on 12:34 - Mar 22 with 2547 viewsThe_Major

Ipswich history geeks. on 12:04 - Mar 22 by Mookamoo

This explains California
https://www.ipswich.gov.uk/sites/www.ipswich.gov.uk/files/California.pdf

Time Team did Castle Hill
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Team_(series_11)
[Post edited 22 Mar 2021 12:09]

Now that California leaflet is, shall we say, a bit odd - to me, California is the grid bordered by Cauldwell Hall Road, Woodbridge Road, Lattice Avenue/Britannia Road, and Foxhall Road. (I always understood that with it being named California, that's why it had an American style street grid - albeit spoiled a bit now here and there by later built roads that go all over the shop - hello Churchill Avenue).

That map is bizarre though - stretches all the way down to Nacton Road - as the old racecourse basically stretched from Hatfield Road all the way down to Lindbergh Road, have always thought of the bits in between as the Racecourse estate. The map also shows Rose Hill as being part of California, whereas I thought it was an area in it's own right. And then look over to the east side of the map, mostly bordered by Britannia Road - any reason why Ernleigh Road juts out and is considered part of California and Halliwell, Newbury and Copleston Roads do not? Is this the council ward boundary or something?
[Post edited 22 Mar 2021 12:36]
Ipswich history geeks. on 12:42 - Mar 22 with 2496 viewsThe_Major

Nearly forgot - if you haven't seen this already, have a look at the Ipswich Lettering site. It is astonishingly good, and very easy to lose yourself in for hours. (Search Ipswich Lettering on Google - done by splendidly named local artist Borin Van Loon)

Also has a comprehensive list of street names and where they've come from (Who knew there was actually a manor house called Lovetofts for example?) - although doesn't do the ones where they're part of an obvious theme on an estate (Irish towns for Whitehouse, birds and flowers in Chantry, aviation in Ravenswood etc) and I would love to see ones along the lines of:

"London Road: Oh come on, are you THAT stupid?"
[Post edited 22 Mar 2021 12:44]
Ipswich history geeks. on 12:51 - Mar 22 with 2465 viewsMedwayTractor

If you're considering just the back four, it has to be Ipswich:

From last Saturday's starting line-ups:

Luke Chambers 35 yo
Toto Nsiala: 28 yo
James Wilson: 32 yo
Stephen Ward: 35 yo
Total 130 years

Miles Welch-Hayes: 24 yo
Tom Eastman: 29 yo
Tommy Smith: 30 yo
Ryan Clampin: 22 yo
Total 105 years

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Ipswich history geeks. on 13:05 - Mar 22 with 2427 viewsBloomBlue

Orwell flu, is that like common flu or more of a COVID type flu ?
[Redacted] on 13:11 - Mar 22 with 2399 viewsvictorywilhappen

Ipswich history geeks. on 12:42 - Mar 22 by The_Major

Nearly forgot - if you haven't seen this already, have a look at the Ipswich Lettering site. It is astonishingly good, and very easy to lose yourself in for hours. (Search Ipswich Lettering on Google - done by splendidly named local artist Borin Van Loon)

Also has a comprehensive list of street names and where they've come from (Who knew there was actually a manor house called Lovetofts for example?) - although doesn't do the ones where they're part of an obvious theme on an estate (Irish towns for Whitehouse, birds and flowers in Chantry, aviation in Ravenswood etc) and I would love to see ones along the lines of:

"London Road: Oh come on, are you THAT stupid?"
[Post edited 22 Mar 2021 12:44]

[Redacted]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024