Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... 20:16 - Mar 22 with 14360 viewsmonytowbray

Some of these links may be worth a read if the distain towards collective authority seems to have came from no where or is unjust in anyone's eyes.

The covered up Westminster paedophile dossier
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/17/westminster-child-abuse-paedoph
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westminster_paedophile_dossier

The Hillborough Disaster cover up
https://www.businessinsider.com/south-yorkshire-police-conspired-to-cover-up-hil
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/02/hillsborough-disaster-survivors

The SpyCops scandal
https://www.spycops.co.uk/
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/oct/28/secrets-and-lies-untangling-the-

The false imprisonment of the Guildford Four/Maguire Seven
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guildford_Four_and_Maguire_Seven
https://www.thejusticegap.com/guildford-four-how-the-innocent-were-framed-and-th

Ian Tomlinson's Death
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Ian_Tomlinson
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24597393/

And directly relevant to recent events...

Continual unfair targeting via racial profiling
https://theconversation.com/we-spent-seven-years-observing-english-police-stop-a
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/oct/27/black-people-nine-times-more-lik

The murder of Sarah Everard
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/12/sarah-everard-met-police-officer

An organisation involved in continual cover-ups and "do as we say, not as we do" applications to the law/justice for decades.

Yes, not all police etc, but I'd argue good cops tend not to last long when they open their mouths, hence ACAB being a relevant catch-all phrase.

Really the responsibility is on the collective public to demand justice is not evaded and power is not abused when safeguards fail, which may or may not result in civil disobedience. That includes giving whistle blowers in every walk of live full protection against the state.

Food for thought, the more you know, etc.

*Not an extensive list, just things that I am aware of and could cite off the back of my mind.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2021 20:16]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 22:49 - Mar 22 with 3842 viewsIllinoisblue

Still probably much less than 1% of coppers are wrong-uns. The rest of them are doing a tough job while getting all kinds of abuse and threats every day.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 23:04 - Mar 22 with 3817 viewsFixed_It

None of which is an excuse for the lawlessness we witnessed last night.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 23:44 - Mar 22 with 3782 viewsKallyB

www.huytonfreeman.co.uk

Link there with live details of police officers with criminal offences....interesting to see the leniency on some of the sentences.
Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 06:57 - Mar 23 with 3673 viewsmikeybloo88

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 22:49 - Mar 22 by Illinoisblue

Still probably much less than 1% of coppers are wrong-uns. The rest of them are doing a tough job while getting all kinds of abuse and threats every day.

I'm sure being the balanced fellow we know him to be he is working on a list of links to articles where the police have put their lives on the line for us, prevented terrorist attacks, attended horrific rtas, given rapid emergency assistance when requested etc etc
Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 07:48 - Mar 23 with 3620 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

For the last ten years people have been saying there’s not enough police, austerity has left us unsafe (which I agree with).

Now the narrative is they are terrible, corrupt, and should be defunded...?!
Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 08:31 - Mar 23 with 3585 viewsBlueBadger

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 07:48 - Mar 23 by SuperKieranMcKenna

For the last ten years people have been saying there’s not enough police, austerity has left us unsafe (which I agree with).

Now the narrative is they are terrible, corrupt, and should be defunded...?!

Doesn't need to be an either/or thing. If we're going to cut funding, we should at least ensure it goes on making sure the ones we do keep are the good ones.

Sadly, it's generally the good ones who give up fighting against the tide of generalised d1ckery first.

See also: people working in DWP disability assessments.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 09:21 - Mar 23 with 3510 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

I wasn’t going to add to this thread, but I have some genuine questions for the OP. What is your personal experience of policing? In both personal or professional settings, do you know any serving officers and what they actually see and do on a daily basis?
I appreciate that no one ever wants to deal with police, they’re not people you speak to when you’re having a good day and there is a long list of mistakes made, some of which unfortunately continue to be made, but the examples you use don’t involve many officers that are still serving.
The vast majority of officers are simply trying to help those they can in a society that seems to think police are there to deal with trivial matters and then complain that police don’t have enough powers and resources to deal with actual crime.. which they don’t
I am happy to have this chat away from this open forum as I appreciate that is a very personal question so if you want to discuss I’m happy to.

Also, the use of ACAB is an incredibly lazy throw around term. Surely anyone can see the flawed logic of grouping a whole set of people based on one characteristic. Hence why I ask the question of your personal experience, has this shaped your view, if it has then I’m genuinely sorry to hear that and hope that you never need them (same sentiment to everyone on here)
Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 09:45 - Mar 23 with 3486 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

I clearly have a very different viewpoint to the OP so wanted to add the text below (not my words and certainly not an exhaustive list) of challenges seen in modern frontline policing, just to add to my earlier post and not to ignite any further disagreement so I’ll just leave this here.

I do accept and admit to mistakes made by police forces around the country, in the past, recent past and today. Some tragic lessons have been learnt, some lessons are still being learnt but the challenges of policing are only getting more and more extreme due to the society we live in. The vast majority of officers are simply fighting fires on a daily basis trying to keep the wheel on in a world that is hellbent on eating itself up.
I don’t need to remind everyone of the reports of serving officers tragically losing their lives dealing with incidents in recent past. These are sons, daughters, mothers, fathers who have walked into deadly situations that no one else would and not made it home from work that day. That is a thought in that back of every officers mind when they’re called to attend a violent domestic, a break in progress, report of a fight or stolen vehicle. I only add this so you can see why I take issues with the lazy throw around phrase of ACAB

Before I go on and turn this into a full page of me, I’ll leave this here for those who wish to see the words of some serving officers (so not mine I add) not to stokes flames of how police have dealt/deal with incidents that some here may have personal knowledge of..

ACAB?
Even PC Beshenivski who was shot to death as she raced to the aid of terrified staff who had just had a gun shoved in their faces during an armed robbery? Murdered on her daughters 4th birthday.

ACAB?
Even PC Bone & PC Hughes who attended a report of a burglary in the middle of the day, only to be greeted at the door by 32 bullets and a grenade? Both murdered for going to help.

ACAB?
Even the one that held your relatives hand as they succumbed to injuries they sustained in an RTC? Who then sat with you and your grieving family and took the brunt of your anguish and emotion to make it easier for you?

ACAB?
Even the one that tackled your abusive father as he armed himself with a knife and marauded through the house trying to kill you and your family as you cowered in the locked bathroom? - remember how he had managed to splinter the door just as he was tasered?

ACAB?
Even the one that pulled your brother from the edge of that rooftop, sectioned him and sat with him for 12 hours to ensure he got the help he needed?

ACAB?
Even the one that risked his own livelihood to drive you on blue lights across the region to ensure you had one last moment with your child before they died from that stab wound?

ACAB?
Even the one that stood and held you as your daughters life support machine was turned off? The only one that stayed stoic and dry eyed while the entire room full of doctors, nurses and paramedics broke down, just to maintain some semblance of normality and structure for you as the rest of your world fell apart.

ACAB?
Even the ones that forced their way into a burning retirement village to rescue your grandparents from their beds before the fire service had even got the call? Remember how that fire was purposefully started by the psychotic drug fiend placed in the same accommodation by your local council?

ACAB?
Even the ones that spent 3 days combing the junction with a pair of tweezers so that you wouldn’t have to see any of the fatty tissue left behind after your son and his friends crashed their quad bikes and disintegrated around the street furniture?

Remember, people like these are all that stands between the weak, the scared and the vulnerable and those intent on doing them harm.
Login to get fewer ads

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 09:58 - Mar 23 with 3466 viewsCheltenham_Blue

An awful lot of references to The Met in your dossier of 'evidence' there. Anything at all on Avon and Somerset who dealt with the violence and were directly targeted Sunday night?

I do love how individuals such as yourself, have hijacked the Sarah Everard murder as some kind of evidence to support their cause that the Police are all wrong un's.

You've all got evidence that Sarah Everard's murderer, used his position as a police officer to enable her abduction right? Because if he didn't then his warrant card has nothing to do with it. I can only assume that when Harold Shipman was convicted you were in on the protests against all GPs

No? Oh.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2021 10:00]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 09:58 - Mar 23 with 3467 viewsmo_itfc

There's been a recruitment drive for the beat cops recently.

Anyone who thinks "ACAB", there's nothing stopping them from joining the police and bringing the change from the inside... other than it's a hard, scary and thankless job...

Police have an internal investigations team, if you think "ACAB", get a job with them! and hold the police officers to account without having to set fire to a police van...

Poll: Now that The Athletic has an article, is this takeover actually happening?

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 10:05 - Mar 23 with 3453 viewsclive_baker

I like to consider myself pretty liberal, and try and see the good in people, but the scenes in Bristol on Sunday were an absolute disgrace, and utterly counter productive. Of course the Police should never be free from scrutiny and accountability through appropriate channels but violence isn't the answer. Injuring 20 police officers and £1m of criminal damage that my taxes have to go towards paying, during a global pandemic. Absolute mindless thuggery and utter stupidity.

The irony is all it serves to do among the wider populous is gain support for the governments position and the bill in question. Completely counter productive.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 10:08 - Mar 23 with 3442 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 10:05 - Mar 23 by clive_baker

I like to consider myself pretty liberal, and try and see the good in people, but the scenes in Bristol on Sunday were an absolute disgrace, and utterly counter productive. Of course the Police should never be free from scrutiny and accountability through appropriate channels but violence isn't the answer. Injuring 20 police officers and £1m of criminal damage that my taxes have to go towards paying, during a global pandemic. Absolute mindless thuggery and utter stupidity.

The irony is all it serves to do among the wider populous is gain support for the governments position and the bill in question. Completely counter productive.

The thing is the persons perpetrating the violence weren't there to protest the bill, they were there to kick a copper. Nothing more, nothing less, and as a result completely undermined someone else's cause.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 10:51 - Mar 23 with 3407 viewsmonytowbray

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 08:31 - Mar 23 by BlueBadger

Doesn't need to be an either/or thing. If we're going to cut funding, we should at least ensure it goes on making sure the ones we do keep are the good ones.

Sadly, it's generally the good ones who give up fighting against the tide of generalised d1ckery first.

See also: people working in DWP disability assessments.

At least one person in this thread was capable of critical thinking.

TWTD never forgets…

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 10:57 - Mar 23 with 3400 viewslongtimefan

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 10:51 - Mar 23 by monytowbray

It wasn’t the OP then
Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 11:00 - Mar 23 with 3383 viewsmonytowbray

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 10:57 - Mar 23 by longtimefan

It wasn’t the OP then

I just pointed out why the police aren’t saints and how it institutionally fails with evidence.

BUT THE GOOD COPS doesn’t change that reality.

I just tend to look at my downvotes these days to see who was bothered, more than often I just conclude if I’ve upset those users I’m likely on the right track!

TWTD never forgets…

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 11:02 - Mar 23 with 3380 viewshaynes_toe1

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 10:51 - Mar 23 by monytowbray

Nah I'm capable of critically thinking you're an idiot.
Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 11:03 - Mar 23 with 3372 viewsmonytowbray

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 11:02 - Mar 23 by haynes_toe1

Nah I'm capable of critically thinking you're an idiot.

You’re welcome to tell me why I should love the police. I’m yet to be convinced by anything in this thread.

TWTD never forgets…

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 11:11 - Mar 23 with 3343 viewsbrazil1982

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 10:57 - Mar 23 by longtimefan

It wasn’t the OP then

Of course not; the use of ACAB is extremely offensive.
Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 11:13 - Mar 23 with 3336 viewsmonytowbray

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 11:11 - Mar 23 by brazil1982

Of course not; the use of ACAB is extremely offensive.

Snowflake.

TWTD never forgets…

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 11:15 - Mar 23 with 3323 viewsgiant_stow

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 11:13 - Mar 23 by monytowbray

Snowflake.

oh come on. This doesn't pass the swap-in-another-group test, so thats not snowflakery.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 11:16 - Mar 23 with 3318 viewsBlueNomad

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 09:45 - Mar 23 by King_of_Portman_Rd

I clearly have a very different viewpoint to the OP so wanted to add the text below (not my words and certainly not an exhaustive list) of challenges seen in modern frontline policing, just to add to my earlier post and not to ignite any further disagreement so I’ll just leave this here.

I do accept and admit to mistakes made by police forces around the country, in the past, recent past and today. Some tragic lessons have been learnt, some lessons are still being learnt but the challenges of policing are only getting more and more extreme due to the society we live in. The vast majority of officers are simply fighting fires on a daily basis trying to keep the wheel on in a world that is hellbent on eating itself up.
I don’t need to remind everyone of the reports of serving officers tragically losing their lives dealing with incidents in recent past. These are sons, daughters, mothers, fathers who have walked into deadly situations that no one else would and not made it home from work that day. That is a thought in that back of every officers mind when they’re called to attend a violent domestic, a break in progress, report of a fight or stolen vehicle. I only add this so you can see why I take issues with the lazy throw around phrase of ACAB

Before I go on and turn this into a full page of me, I’ll leave this here for those who wish to see the words of some serving officers (so not mine I add) not to stokes flames of how police have dealt/deal with incidents that some here may have personal knowledge of..

ACAB?
Even PC Beshenivski who was shot to death as she raced to the aid of terrified staff who had just had a gun shoved in their faces during an armed robbery? Murdered on her daughters 4th birthday.

ACAB?
Even PC Bone & PC Hughes who attended a report of a burglary in the middle of the day, only to be greeted at the door by 32 bullets and a grenade? Both murdered for going to help.

ACAB?
Even the one that held your relatives hand as they succumbed to injuries they sustained in an RTC? Who then sat with you and your grieving family and took the brunt of your anguish and emotion to make it easier for you?

ACAB?
Even the one that tackled your abusive father as he armed himself with a knife and marauded through the house trying to kill you and your family as you cowered in the locked bathroom? - remember how he had managed to splinter the door just as he was tasered?

ACAB?
Even the one that pulled your brother from the edge of that rooftop, sectioned him and sat with him for 12 hours to ensure he got the help he needed?

ACAB?
Even the one that risked his own livelihood to drive you on blue lights across the region to ensure you had one last moment with your child before they died from that stab wound?

ACAB?
Even the one that stood and held you as your daughters life support machine was turned off? The only one that stayed stoic and dry eyed while the entire room full of doctors, nurses and paramedics broke down, just to maintain some semblance of normality and structure for you as the rest of your world fell apart.

ACAB?
Even the ones that forced their way into a burning retirement village to rescue your grandparents from their beds before the fire service had even got the call? Remember how that fire was purposefully started by the psychotic drug fiend placed in the same accommodation by your local council?

ACAB?
Even the ones that spent 3 days combing the junction with a pair of tweezers so that you wouldn’t have to see any of the fatty tissue left behind after your son and his friends crashed their quad bikes and disintegrated around the street furniture?

Remember, people like these are all that stands between the weak, the scared and the vulnerable and those intent on doing them harm.

POTD - and beyond
Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 11:20 - Mar 23 with 3309 viewsBlueNomad

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 11:03 - Mar 23 by monytowbray

You’re welcome to tell me why I should love the police. I’m yet to be convinced by anything in this thread.

You don't have to love them. If you can't be bothered to find out exactly what goes on in an officer's career just try using your imagination. Even that will enhance your understanding.

Ps - Don't base it on police dramas
[Post edited 23 Mar 2021 11:21]
Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 11:29 - Mar 23 with 3280 viewsmonytowbray

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 11:20 - Mar 23 by BlueNomad

You don't have to love them. If you can't be bothered to find out exactly what goes on in an officer's career just try using your imagination. Even that will enhance your understanding.

Ps - Don't base it on police dramas
[Post edited 23 Mar 2021 11:21]

I don’t watch Copaganda shows, just stay informed.

Speaking of which: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/teenager-fined-reporting-stalker-police-23

TWTD never forgets…

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 11:37 - Mar 23 with 3261 viewsBlueNomad

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 11:29 - Mar 23 by monytowbray

I don’t watch Copaganda shows, just stay informed.

Speaking of which: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/teenager-fined-reporting-stalker-police-23

So what about the 120,000 or so officers who don't feature in your selection of "evidence"? (Plus all those who have served in the past)
Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 11:40 - Mar 23 with 3249 viewshaynes_toe1

Some points of note for those who defend the police or assume they're saints... on 11:03 - Mar 23 by monytowbray

I really hope you're not in a situation where you desperately require the police and they decide not to come to your aid.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024