Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is worth reading - on the failures over covid in the North 09:34 - Mar 23 with 949 viewsSteve_M

It's why a public inquiry, despite the cost, is necessary about the actions of government over the past year and the structural inequalities within the country. Most of the failings illustrated here aren't the egregious ones (like the purchase contracts made from Tory donors and mates) but lessons that could and should be learnt.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/pandemic-le

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

This is worth reading - on the failures over covid in the North on 09:35 - Mar 23 with 936 viewsbluelagos

Chances of a public inquiry, being independent, not an arse covering exercise and/or completed before the next election...

Not holding my breath on that one.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

This is worth reading - on the failures over covid in the North on 09:52 - Mar 23 with 888 viewsSaleAway

The point about this, is that they aren't really Covid lessons. Covid has just highlighted inequalities and issue that were already endemic. AS that article mentions, a lot of these issues were already predicted by the health enquiry before Covid kicked off.

The problem is that these issues exist due to decades of neglect of the north from Westminster, and a distinct lack of understanding of what those issues are. Fixing them will take not just a lot of money, but also a change of mindset from central government, and if covid has highlighted anything, its that that mindset hasn't changed.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

This is worth reading - on the failures over covid in the North on 10:02 - Mar 23 with 857 viewsPinewoodblue

Much the same could have been written about Leicester, or parts of the West Midlands or even London.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

This is worth reading - on the failures over covid in the North on 10:06 - Mar 23 with 845 viewsSteve_M

This is worth reading - on the failures over covid in the North on 09:52 - Mar 23 by SaleAway

The point about this, is that they aren't really Covid lessons. Covid has just highlighted inequalities and issue that were already endemic. AS that article mentions, a lot of these issues were already predicted by the health enquiry before Covid kicked off.

The problem is that these issues exist due to decades of neglect of the north from Westminster, and a distinct lack of understanding of what those issues are. Fixing them will take not just a lot of money, but also a change of mindset from central government, and if covid has highlighted anything, its that that mindset hasn't changed.

Yes, I don't disagree with that - and Cameron and Osborne's politically inspired 'austerity' takes a great deal of the blame - but if 120,000 deaths isn't a reason to dig into this in more detail then nothing will.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

This is worth reading - on the failures over covid in the North on 10:13 - Mar 23 with 838 viewskeighleyblue

This is worth reading - on the failures over covid in the North on 10:02 - Mar 23 by Pinewoodblue

Much the same could have been written about Leicester, or parts of the West Midlands or even London.

Correct, there are areas of the north with huge wealth compared to parts of the south. Parts of Cheshire, North Yorkshire, the affluent suburbs of Leeds, etc spring to mind.
This is worth reading - on the failures over covid in the North on 10:18 - Mar 23 with 836 viewsCheltenham_Blue

There will be growing calls for an enquiry to the governments response to the pandemic, but I think we are peaking too soon.

They had a couple on the news yesterday calling for one, but we're still entrenched in the Pandemic now. Yes, things look brighter, but if we get a setback, then the numbers of dead could still rise further.

I think next summer at the earliest.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

This is worth reading - on the failures over covid in the North on 10:18 - Mar 23 with 834 viewsfactual_blue

This is worth reading - on the failures over covid in the North on 09:35 - Mar 23 by bluelagos

Chances of a public inquiry, being independent, not an arse covering exercise and/or completed before the next election...

The actual inquiry would be independent. The trick for the government with them is always artfully wording the terms of reference.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

This is worth reading - on the failures over covid in the North on 10:30 - Mar 23 with 809 viewsSaleAway

This is worth reading - on the failures over covid in the North on 10:06 - Mar 23 by Steve_M

Yes, I don't disagree with that - and Cameron and Osborne's politically inspired 'austerity' takes a great deal of the blame - but if 120,000 deaths isn't a reason to dig into this in more detail then nothing will.

Yeah, I agree with you that it needs sorting, my point is that the government pretty much know the issues already, more inquiries aren't going to throw up anything particularly new. The will to change it is the problem. And lack of money post covid is going to be the excuse, IMO.

Login to get fewer ads

This is worth reading - on the failures over covid in the North on 11:09 - Mar 23 with 783 viewsGuthrum

This is worth reading - on the failures over covid in the North on 10:18 - Mar 23 by Cheltenham_Blue

There will be growing calls for an enquiry to the governments response to the pandemic, but I think we are peaking too soon.

They had a couple on the news yesterday calling for one, but we're still entrenched in the Pandemic now. Yes, things look brighter, but if we get a setback, then the numbers of dead could still rise further.

I think next summer at the earliest.

If nothing else, because a lot of the data is still being processed and there is much yet to understand about the virus itself - including how much difference variants/mutations/strains made to why it hit some parts of the globe harder than others in each wave. Plus how the situation will continue to develop.

Some aspects of the initial response can be looked at, with a view to not repeating mistakes, but we are not going to be in a position to take an overarching view of the whole situation for some time.

Any public inquiry has to be a dispassionate examination of what happened and why, not merely a convenient stick to belabour the present Government - whatever their real faults in the matter.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

This is worth reading - on the failures over covid in the North on 11:23 - Mar 23 with 765 viewsDarth_Koont

This is worth reading - on the failures over covid in the North on 10:06 - Mar 23 by Steve_M

To be fair, there were at least that many deaths attributable to austerity before Covid and nothing was done.

I can see the fight (and “glorious victory”) against Covid covering a multitude of sins and certainly lessons.

Pronouns: He/Him

This is worth reading - on the failures over covid in the North on 11:30 - Mar 23 with 750 viewsDarth_Koont

This is worth reading - on the failures over covid in the North on 09:35 - Mar 23 by bluelagos

Indeed. Such inquiries seemed to be designed to take the sting out of things and neutralise protests. Then 3 years down the line the findings can be ignored as “everyone needs to move on”.

Pronouns: He/Him

This is worth reading - on the failures over covid in the North on 11:50 - Mar 23 with 723 viewsPinewoodblue

This is worth reading - on the failures over covid in the North on 09:52 - Mar 23 by SaleAway

The neglect is not limited to the north. Throwing money at it isn’t the answer if anything it widens the gap between haves and have nots. Poorer communities, need to be targeted not specific regions. There are areas in all parts of the county where life expectancy is lower, ditto where life expectancy is above average.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

This is worth reading - on the failures over covid in the North on 13:36 - Mar 23 with 678 viewsBlueBadger

This is worth reading - on the failures over covid in the North on 11:50 - Mar 23 by Pinewoodblue

The neglect is not limited to the north. Throwing money at it isn’t the answer if anything it widens the gap between haves and have nots. Poorer communities, need to be targeted not specific regions. There are areas in all parts of the county where life expectancy is lower, ditto where life expectancy is above average.

'Throwing money at it doesn't solve it' is a gross over simplification though, innit. Very few public services and safety nets for the most vulnerable get BETTER via lack of funding.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

This is worth reading - on the failures over covid in the North on 15:38 - Mar 23 with 648 viewsSaleAway

This is worth reading - on the failures over covid in the North on 11:50 - Mar 23 by Pinewoodblue

But a lot of these "poorer communities" can only be targetted by improving the services like health and education, and providing incentives for businesses to locate there, such that there is opportunity for people there to improve those communities. These can't be done on a micro community level. They need to be county/regional level.

There may be poor communities all over the country, but there are just more of them squashed together in the post-industrial cities, which mainly happen to be in the north. ( and for the sake of this discussion, and because it generally is where government blindness starts, I do count the midlands & upwards as North.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024