Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM 08:08 - Mar 24 with 5842 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I don't know why he felt the need to retract that, or people are up in arms about it. He's spot on, and it's refreshing to see him being so honest for a change.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56504546

His backtrack that he "was not intending to be critical of the pharmaceutical companies in any way" is funnier/worse than the actual comment!

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:10 - Mar 24 with 3055 viewsGlasgowBlue

He’s a fookin idiot who has a history of putting his foot in his mouth.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:15 - Mar 24 with 3003 viewslowhouseblue

in what way was the oxford university research a product of greed or capitalism?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:16 - Mar 24 with 3015 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:10 - Mar 24 by GlasgowBlue

Indeed, but it helps us to see what he really thinks. You don't normally get that from politicians.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:18 - Mar 24 with 2999 viewsBLUEGOLD

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:15 - Mar 24 by lowhouseblue

in what way was the oxford university research a product of greed or capitalism?

He is referring to the governments approach to getting vaccines I believe
'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:21 - Mar 24 with 2986 viewsDarth_Koont

Not as much as public research, education and services like the NHS to administer it.

There’s a massive fallacy about pharma being about driving research. Actually it’s all about driving sales and the budgets for the latter dwarf the research and development budgets.

Pronouns: He/Him

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:22 - Mar 24 with 2980 viewsGlasgowBlue

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:18 - Mar 24 by BLUEGOLD

He is referring to the governments approach to getting vaccines I believe

Then he should keep such thoughts to himself when so many vulnerable people can’t get access to a vaccination.

We’ve done a brilliant job in getting so many people vaccinated but these sort of triumphalist comments are simply rubbing people’s noses in it.

Iron Lion Zion

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:26 - Mar 24 with 2956 viewsLord_Lucan

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:22 - Mar 24 by GlasgowBlue

Then he should keep such thoughts to himself when so many vulnerable people can’t get access to a vaccination.

We’ve done a brilliant job in getting so many people vaccinated but these sort of triumphalist comments are simply rubbing people’s noses in it.

Looks like he was taking about a cheese sandwich - but I suppose it's worth a 10 pager.

To be fair, Corbyn also suffered from misreporting.

Drop the Dead Donkey on acid

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:29 - Mar 24 with 2944 viewsJakeITFC

Nationalism on the side of us and the USA seem to be the biggest drivers - making sure we jab our own before worrying about other countries.
Login to get fewer ads

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:30 - Mar 24 with 2940 viewsfooters

Yes, definitely not about taking shots at the EU. Must be true because Laura says so and this government would never take cheap shots or perpetuate old rows for their own gain.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:31 - Mar 24 with 2925 viewsGlasgowBlue

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:29 - Mar 24 by JakeITFC

Nationalism on the side of us and the USA seem to be the biggest drivers - making sure we jab our own before worrying about other countries.

In fairness it’s his job to put UK citizens first.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2021 8:31]

Iron Lion Zion

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:32 - Mar 24 with 2916 viewsLord_Lucan

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:29 - Mar 24 by JakeITFC

There would be uproar if we gave them away to other developed countries before looking after our own people first - and rightly so.

Poorer countries on the other hand should be helped more.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:34 - Mar 24 with 2903 viewsGlasgowBlue

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:30 - Mar 24 by footers

Yes, definitely not about taking shots at the EU. Must be true because Laura says so and this government would never take cheap shots or perpetuate old rows for their own gain.

And of course you are equally critical of the war of words and threats coming out of the EU with regards to banning exports of vaccine to the UK.

I must have missed the post of course, but well done for saying so.

Iron Lion Zion

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:35 - Mar 24 with 2894 viewsDarth_Koont

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:26 - Mar 24 by Lord_Lucan

Looks like he was taking about a cheese sandwich - but I suppose it's worth a 10 pager.

To be fair, Corbyn also suffered from misreporting.

Drop the Dead Donkey on acid

“To be fair, Corbyn also suffered from misreporting.”

Beautifully understated!

I see it’s Kuenssberg running helpful interference on the cheese sandwich so impossible to tell if that’s the truth.

Pronouns: He/Him

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:35 - Mar 24 with 2893 viewsfooters

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:34 - Mar 24 by GlasgowBlue

And of course you are equally critical of the war of words and threats coming out of the EU with regards to banning exports of vaccine to the UK.

I must have missed the post of course, but well done for saying so.

Choo choo. Bit early this morning but the whatabouterry train has pulled in.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:41 - Mar 24 with 2840 viewsgiant_stow

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:32 - Mar 24 by Lord_Lucan

There would be uproar if we gave them away to other developed countries before looking after our own people first - and rightly so.

Poorer countries on the other hand should be helped more.

I think our hands are relatively clean on supporting other countries. Our uni developed an accessible vaccine which is being made available to produce (teach a man to fish etc) around the world at cost price. I think we've also apparently been big contributors to the covax scheme. When the EU say they've exported millions of doses, they mean Pfizer and az have exported millions of doses.

There's nothing capitalist about the uk's actions in this. Perhaps Boris is embarrassed about that?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:42 - Mar 24 with 2831 viewsElderGrizzly

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:10 - Mar 24 by GlasgowBlue

Indeed

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:44 - Mar 24 with 2821 viewsLord_Lucan

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:41 - Mar 24 by giant_stow

I think our hands are relatively clean on supporting other countries. Our uni developed an accessible vaccine which is being made available to produce (teach a man to fish etc) around the world at cost price. I think we've also apparently been big contributors to the covax scheme. When the EU say they've exported millions of doses, they mean Pfizer and az have exported millions of doses.

There's nothing capitalist about the uk's actions in this. Perhaps Boris is embarrassed about that?

Hush Ullaa

Hush!

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:45 - Mar 24 with 2810 viewsGlasgowBlue

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:41 - Mar 24 by giant_stow

The Irish PM called it the other day. These are not EU vaccines. They are vaccines produced in the EU by private companies using components exported from all over the world.

Iron Lion Zion

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:51 - Mar 24 with 2790 viewshype313

This is quite a salient point, and as much as Boris is a charlatan, sometimes, just sometimes we actually do some good things in this country, it's worth actually being positive as all we hear is how dire this nation is.

"The Oxford team produced a vaccine in breakneck time, when time is what matters, and most other vaccines fell by the wayside. It can be kept in normal fridges and can be rolled out anywhere. AstraZeneca is manufacturing at cost, offering a service to the world. The cheap jab is being produced at massive scale by India's Serum Institute for Asia, the Middle East, and Africa.

It is already being rolled out in 70 countries and will ultimately be the workhorse vaccine of the Covax scheme. All of this was brought forward by decisions taken a year ago by the British Government, with ample support from the British taxpayer.

To the extent that lives have already been saved in Europe by the vaccine, it is because of the huge national effort made by this country. What exactly is the EU’s contribution to preventing Covid deaths in Africa, Latin America, South Asia, and the developing world, may one ask?"

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:52 - Mar 24 with 2786 viewsgiant_stow

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:44 - Mar 24 by Lord_Lucan

Hush Ullaa

Hush!

Oops. It's funny though, this is safe ground I reckon. As mentioned above, even the the UK rollout has depended heavily on the nhs, so where exactly is the capitalist element?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:57 - Mar 24 with 2760 viewsGlasgowBlue

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:35 - Mar 24 by footers

Choo choo. Bit early this morning but the whatabouterry train has pulled in.

au contraire dear footers. au contraire.

I was merely complimenting you on your fair and balanced position on this issue, whilst admonishing myself for missing your post.

Iron Lion Zion

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 09:01 - Mar 24 with 2741 viewsitfcjoe

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:51 - Mar 24 by hype313

This is quite a salient point, and as much as Boris is a charlatan, sometimes, just sometimes we actually do some good things in this country, it's worth actually being positive as all we hear is how dire this nation is.

"The Oxford team produced a vaccine in breakneck time, when time is what matters, and most other vaccines fell by the wayside. It can be kept in normal fridges and can be rolled out anywhere. AstraZeneca is manufacturing at cost, offering a service to the world. The cheap jab is being produced at massive scale by India's Serum Institute for Asia, the Middle East, and Africa.

It is already being rolled out in 70 countries and will ultimately be the workhorse vaccine of the Covax scheme. All of this was brought forward by decisions taken a year ago by the British Government, with ample support from the British taxpayer.

To the extent that lives have already been saved in Europe by the vaccine, it is because of the huge national effort made by this country. What exactly is the EU’s contribution to preventing Covid deaths in Africa, Latin America, South Asia, and the developing world, may one ask?"

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 09:06 - Mar 24 with 2708 viewsDanTheMan

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 08:51 - Mar 24 by hype313

It's a very good point, we've done well out of this as will a lot of poorer nations.

However I would say that the mRNA vaccines whilst not perfect, are a pretty major step forward for not just this pandemic but a lot of future vaccines. Obviously they were designed in the EU.

I really hate this vaccine nationalism nonsense, wish all sides would stop playing this.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 09:08 - Mar 24 with 2697 viewspointofblue

It’s not even in the top 20 of stupid things he’s said or written. Bluntly honest and I wonder who leaked it considering it was supposed to be a partisan gathering?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM on 09:23 - Mar 24 with 2650 viewsxrayspecs

Not a fan of Boris but some context

- He was speaking to the 1922 Committee, who effectively represent the capitalist right wing of his party. He is talking their book, even if the comments were ill judged and open to a lot of political interpretations.
- He is trying to keep the 1922 C on Board. They are pushing for Boris to reopen the economy much sooner than the governments own (ambitious imv) plan and are threatening to vote against the government this week when it seeks to extend the Government's emergency Covid powers until the Autumn. I think it will be voted on tomorrow?
- The UK were quick to sign agreements with vaccine manufacturers to ensure that we are at the front of the queue when vaccines became available. There are differing views on the merits of this approach, it is though what a number of wealthier countries have done.
- The pharma industry have been supplying these vaccines globally at cost, so are likely to be losing money as resources are diverted away from more profitable research and commercial activities. I think the industry deserves a lot of credit for how it has acted - pooling resources, including manufacturing capacity and for producing vaccines at incredible scale and on a not for profit basis.

I suspect that this comment will be used repeatedly by his domestic and EU opponents. It was a stupid political mistake and not the first time he has misspoken.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024