Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea 08:38 - Mar 24 with 3681 viewsDanTheMan

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56503588

Just... why?

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 09:15 - Mar 24 with 2179 viewsbrazil1982

Unfortunately we still need it and will need it for many years before we can start to rely on renewable power sources.
UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 09:18 - Mar 24 with 2173 viewsbelgablue

UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 09:15 - Mar 24 by brazil1982

Unfortunately we still need it and will need it for many years before we can start to rely on renewable power sources.

Yup, good transition fuel and helps balance supply with volatile intermittent wind / solar etc..

Also, better to produce your own to high environmental standards than import from areas that don’t have similar standards

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 09:20 - Mar 24 with 2169 viewsDubtractor

More oil, more coal, more nuclear weapons.

As a species we will never ever learn will we?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 09:22 - Mar 24 with 2160 viewsHerbivore

Greed and capitalism.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 09:23 - Mar 24 with 2157 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Natural gas burns relatively clean.

We’ll still need it for a good few years yet. Brent crude prices have risen significantly, so more North Sea wells will become viable.
UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 09:23 - Mar 24 with 2158 viewsGeoffSentence

UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 09:15 - Mar 24 by brazil1982

Even if we wean ourselves completely off fossil fuels, and frankly we should - burning fuel is postiveily backwards, we are still going to need some oil for all the other stuff we need it for. Plastics, chemicals, pharmaceuticals.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 09:28 - Mar 24 with 2138 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

It’s worth noting that despite being fairly widespread now, some renewables particularly solar and wind are still somewhat new technologies. Investors (mainly various energy companies), are finding the maintenance costs and vulnerability to natural perils and extreme weather events significantly higher than expected. Obviously as technology improves, and scale of implementation this will improve somewhat.
UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 09:42 - Mar 24 with 2114 viewsDanTheMan

I'm somewhat amazed to see people defending this.

What good is having energy if we're quite literally screwing up the planet in the mean time? Why not pour all the money that we would use for this into cleaner energy sources?

The short termism is astounding.

Login to get fewer ads

UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 09:53 - Mar 24 with 2087 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 09:42 - Mar 24 by DanTheMan

What good is having energy if we're quite literally screwing up the planet in the mean time? Why not pour all the money that we would use for this into cleaner energy sources?

It’s not defending it mate, it’s just reality, just I have some knowledge in this area, and we need it to meet our energy needs. It will take some time to fully transition to renewables. Gas is perhaps unfairly Demonised, the gas burning power plants are much cleaner than coal, and Thus a good transition fuel.
UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 09:54 - Mar 24 with 2075 viewshype313

UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 09:53 - Mar 24 by SuperKieranMcKenna

It’s not defending it mate, it’s just reality, just I have some knowledge in this area, and we need it to meet our energy needs. It will take some time to fully transition to renewables. Gas is perhaps unfairly Demonised, the gas burning power plants are much cleaner than coal, and Thus a good transition fuel.

Aren't Germany opening up the mines at a colossal rate currently?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 09:57 - Mar 24 with 2070 viewsOldsmoker

The income from north sea oil in the 1980's propped up Thatchers Tory government.
Perhaps this lot of Tories are hoping for the same.
The car economy that Thatcher created is going electric and this goverment are losing tax money on electric cars that petrol and diesel cars pay.
Thatcher deregulated buses which resultd in bus routes disappearing and she also starved the railways of cash. This meant people switched to cars.
There's no VAT on bus and train tickets.
They raised shed loads thanks to the the revenue from road tax, fuel duty, VAT on fuel, VAT on fuel duty (tax on a tax) and VAT on brand new cars.
Insurance Tax came in 1993 when Thatcher had been dumped.

Of course, those cars have increased pollution in cities and increased global warming but hey-ho, swings and roundabouts.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 09:57 - Mar 24 with 2067 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 09:54 - Mar 24 by hype313

Aren't Germany opening up the mines at a colossal rate currently?

Yes, and if I recall they shut down all their nuclear power stations after Fukushima.

Stats may be out of date, but recently they were producing 1/3 of their power from coal fired stations.
UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 09:58 - Mar 24 with 2057 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 09:57 - Mar 24 by Oldsmoker

The income from north sea oil in the 1980's propped up Thatchers Tory government.
The car economy that Thatcher created is going electric and this goverment are losing tax money on electric cars that petrol and diesel cars pay.
Thatcher deregulated buses which resultd in bus routes disappearing and she also starved the railways of cash. This meant people switched to cars.
They raised shed loads thanks to the the revenue from road tax, fuel duty, VAT on fuel, VAT on fuel duty (tax on a tax) and VAT on brand new cars.

Of course, those cars have increased pollution in cities and increased global warming but hey-ho, swings and roundabouts.

And of course they never had the foresight to create a sovereign wealth fund.
UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 09:58 - Mar 24 with 2053 viewseireblue

UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 09:53 - Mar 24 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Petrol station or Corgi registered?
UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 10:01 - Mar 24 with 2044 viewsDanTheMan

I'm sure it's cleaner than burning coal, but that doesn't make it brilliant in the grand scheme of the planet.

UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 10:14 - Mar 24 with 2009 viewsOldsmoker

UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 09:58 - Mar 24 by SuperKieranMcKenna

And of course they never had the foresight to create a sovereign wealth fund.

The arrogance of UK governments means that we never learn from other economies.
We're British after all and far superior to any other country.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 10:20 - Mar 24 with 1997 viewsHerbivore

UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 09:42 - Mar 24 by DanTheMan

BuT tHe EcOnOmY.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 10:24 - Mar 24 with 1991 viewsGuthrum

Cleaner energy sources still have significant limitations (e.g. dependence upon the wind blowing and the sun shining). Such issues will be overcome in time, but we aren't there yet. Until that point, there is still a gap to be bridged* and I'd rather be burning gas than opening new coalmines in Cumbria.

* Indeed, the power generation demands of the country are increasing and will continue to do so, especially as we move more towards things like electric cars.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 10:26 - Mar 24 with 1985 viewsBlueBadger

UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 09:20 - Mar 24 by Dubtractor

More oil, more coal, more nuclear weapons.

As a species we will never ever learn will we?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 10:30 - Mar 24 with 1974 viewsDarth_Koont

What’s odd is that the time to reduce reliance on the North Sea and help transition the industry was when the industry was already hit by low oil prices. Now that growth is back on the cards it seems to be at cross-purposes to be talking about this new initiative and the green industrial revolution in the same breath.

Of course, this is really all about being laissez-faire, not providing the necessary green and onshore economy investment and letting the share dividends and bonuses fall where they may.

Pronouns: He/Him

UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 10:38 - Mar 24 with 1961 viewsEdwardStone

UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 09:57 - Mar 24 by Oldsmoker

I feel that the North Sea Oil Bonanza helped pay for Thatcher's ideological trashing of the Unions and the long dole queues

Pity really.....the money could have been far better spent
UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 10:39 - Mar 24 with 1954 viewsGuthrum

UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 09:57 - Mar 24 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Yes, and if I recall they shut down all their nuclear power stations after Fukushima.

Stats may be out of date, but recently they were producing 1/3 of their power from coal fired stations.

German coal is not high quality, either. Brown lignite, especially dirty even by coal standards.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 10:41 - Mar 24 with 1951 viewsEdwardStone

UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 10:24 - Mar 24 by Guthrum

Cleaner energy sources still have significant limitations (e.g. dependence upon the wind blowing and the sun shining). Such issues will be overcome in time, but we aren't there yet. Until that point, there is still a gap to be bridged* and I'd rather be burning gas than opening new coalmines in Cumbria.

* Indeed, the power generation demands of the country are increasing and will continue to do so, especially as we move more towards things like electric cars.

Agree that the current crop of renewables are wind/sun dependant

But we could and should be investing in 24/7 renewables like tidal, wave and micro hydro on rivers

These, and better energy storage, are the way forward....not just repeating the same old mistakes
UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 10:44 - Mar 24 with 1943 viewsNthQldITFC

Unfortunately we are murdering our own planet.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

UK seeks to drill more oil and gas from North Sea on 10:46 - Mar 24 with 1934 viewsNthQldITFC

There's always an excuse.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024