Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee 14:05 - Mar 24 with 3133 viewsgiant_stow

I've never needed to buy an MOT before: do you own up to the problems you know about on the car and if you've gone past the renewal date, does the garage have to report you?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 14:05 - Mar 24 with 2141 viewswkj

I wouldn't tend to own up to anything that is effectively saying - "Charge me money"

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 14:06 - Mar 24 with 2136 viewsfactual_blue

They have to report you.

And then they have to have your car crushed.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 14:07 - Mar 24 with 2129 viewsclive_baker

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 14:05 - Mar 24 by wkj

I wouldn't tend to own up to anything that is effectively saying - "Charge me money"

Another way of looking at it is £40 for a professional to tell you if your car is safe or not sounds like decent value to me. I would be inclined to make their job easier for them, as you can always refuse the work and some issues can get much more expensive if left.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 14:07 - Mar 24 with 2128 viewsgiant_stow

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 14:05 - Mar 24 by wkj

This is why I was asking! so stay stum. Ok, cheers.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 14:07 - Mar 24 with 2122 viewsgiant_stow

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 14:06 - Mar 24 by factual_blue

They have to report you.

bully!

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 14:08 - Mar 24 with 2128 viewsbluelagos

So if your car is out of MOT, then driving it will be illegal. You can drive it to the garage for a booked MOT though legally.

They won't report you no.

If you are aware of any things likely to fail, unless you are a trained MOT inspector, I'd leave them to it, am sure they'll pick them up.

And you'll then have to get the bits repaired before they'll pass the car. If it's a garage as well as an MOT test center, they'll often do the work (for a fee)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 14:09 - Mar 24 with 2108 viewsgiant_stow

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 14:07 - Mar 24 by clive_baker

Another way of looking at it is £40 for a professional to tell you if your car is safe or not sounds like decent value to me. I would be inclined to make their job easier for them, as you can always refuse the work and some issues can get much more expensive if left.

the plot thickens...

I think my wheel bearings may be screwed. They make a kind of grinding metalic noise and someone told me it might that. I don;t really want the wheels to fall off, but it might just be that its an old car...

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 14:10 - Mar 24 with 2108 viewsgiant_stow

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 14:08 - Mar 24 by bluelagos

So if your car is out of MOT, then driving it will be illegal. You can drive it to the garage for a booked MOT though legally.

If you are aware of any things likely to fail, unless you are a trained MOT inspector, I'd leave them to it, am sure they'll pick them up.

And you'll then have to get the bits repaired before they'll pass the car. If it's a garage as well as an MOT test center, they'll often do the work (for a fee)

Thanks loads mr, thats a relief. Sorry if this was a childishly stupid question, but when you don't know about something, best to own up and seek advice!

Login to get fewer ads

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 14:14 - Mar 24 with 2083 viewsclive_baker

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 14:09 - Mar 24 by giant_stow

the plot thickens...

I think my wheel bearings may be screwed. They make a kind of grinding metalic noise and someone told me it might that. I don;t really want the wheels to fall off, but it might just be that its an old car...

Yeah sounds like it could well be, or your brake pads if it's noticeable when you brake. It could be something as innocuous as a stone in there.

I dare say any decent mechanic will probably pick that up and ask you what you want to do anyway. I tried to ignore an issue when my car was misfiring slightly, could've been a relatively simple change of an injector albeit £200 of work. I left it, broke down on a motorway in the snow, had a very long wait for RAC (who were very good when they arrived BTW), and a bill of about £600 to fix the extra issues it had caused by leaving it. And that was mate rate prices.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 14:16 - Mar 24 with 2082 viewsEdwardStone

the plot thickens...

Wheel bearings are usually a rumbling sound as the car goes along

Metallic grinding is usually the disc pads have completely worn out...noticeable when braking

Disc pads are much cheaper to buy and fit as opposed to wheel bearings....so fingers crossed for you

MoT inspector will be checking both and will certainly tell inform you of what needs doing as he issues the fail certificate
Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 14:16 - Mar 24 with 2076 viewsgiant_stow

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 14:14 - Mar 24 by clive_baker

Yeah sounds like it could well be, or your brake pads if it's noticeable when you brake. It could be something as innocuous as a stone in there.

I dare say any decent mechanic will probably pick that up and ask you what you want to do anyway. I tried to ignore an issue when my car was misfiring slightly, could've been a relatively simple change of an injector albeit £200 of work. I left it, broke down on a motorway in the snow, had a very long wait for RAC (who were very good when they arrived BTW), and a bill of about £600 to fix the extra issues it had caused by leaving it. And that was mate rate prices.

The sound is worst when I start, but whereas it used to fade after 5 mins of driving, now it doesn't. Thanks for the warning - I think that swings it!

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 14:17 - Mar 24 with 2068 viewsgiant_stow

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 14:16 - Mar 24 by EdwardStone

Metallic grinding is usually the disc pads have completely worn out...noticeable when braking

Disc pads are much cheaper to buy and fit as opposed to wheel bearings....so fingers crossed for you

MoT inspector will be checking both and will certainly tell inform you of what needs doing as he issues the fail certificate

Good to know - thanks.

twtd wins again.

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 14:17 - Mar 24 with 2073 viewsFtnfwest

What Lagos said. Also if you do all that you qualify for Europe and win a trophy too!
Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 15:12 - Mar 24 with 1958 viewsfactual_blue

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 14:07 - Mar 24 by giant_stow

bully!

Firm but fair.

Sensible policies for a better Britain.

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 15:17 - Mar 24 with 1947 viewsfactual_blue

the plot thickens...

What's really astonishing here is a norfukker who knows what a wheel is.

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 15:18 - Mar 24 with 1942 viewsfactual_blue

'...as he issues the fail certificate, and fires up the car crusher...'

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 15:22 - Mar 24 with 1939 viewsCoastalblue

I think it's one of life's little bonuses when you can find a garage or mechanic that you trust, not something I've managed to do since moving to London.

It's a lot simpler when you have somebody good and trustworthy that will give you decent advice as opposed to having to be second guessing people or being aware of the chances of being 'caught'

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 15:27 - Mar 24 with 1913 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 14:06 - Mar 24 by factual_blue

They have to report you.

And you will be given a season ticket for whichever club Paul Lambert is managing next season.
Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 15:37 - Mar 24 with 1893 viewsPendejo

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 14:08 - Mar 24 by bluelagos

Most will also re-test for free

Mine due to be done Monday, but doesn't run out for another 10 days or so.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 15:45 - Mar 24 with 1861 viewsdickie

My wife's old focus had a metallic grinding sound that never seemed to do it in my presence. One day as she was pulling onto the drive I heard the noise so we took it for a spin, all of a sudden on West End Road I felt the back end give a little wiggle, I slowed down and was overtaken by the offside rear wheel which proceeded to bounce down the road, finally coming to a stop after hitting the large window of the Mazda dealership (it was a miracle that the glass didn't break!) The bearing had chewed itself to bits
Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 15:46 - Mar 24 with 1860 viewsearlsgreenblue

Pm me Giant dude, I’m an mot examiner & might be able to help?
Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 15:53 - Mar 24 with 1842 viewsN2_Blue

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 15:46 - Mar 24 by earlsgreenblue

Pm me Giant dude, I’m an mot examiner & might be able to help?

Why ever leave anything on a car that is clearly not right?

It's either impacting your safety or just makes the matter worse....for instance if your brake pads are worn and need replacing you are jeopardizing your brake efficiency when you may need it, and if they get so worn they wear through completely you are looking at a far more expensive bill.

Best bet is find a reputable garage you trust that won't charge you for unnecessary work but will fix anything that does need fixing whether it be necessary to pass an MOT or to prevent causing further damage to your car that will become irreparable or far more expensive.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 16:47 - Mar 24 with 1750 viewsronnyd

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 14:14 - Mar 24 by clive_baker

One of the joys of not having a car regularly serviced is a bloody great bill, when if it's tackled early it could have been a lot cheaper. Was it the case with you?
Edit, A lot of folk seem to think that the MOT is akin to a service, it isn't.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2021 16:49]
Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 16:54 - Mar 24 with 1727 viewsIllinoisblue

So you’re going to participate in the MOT process?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 16:57 - Mar 24 with 1718 viewsCoastalblue

Pathetic question about MOTs from a newbee on 16:54 - Mar 24 by Illinoisblue

So you’re going to participate in the MOT process?

Could be an open top car ride on the way home too.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024