Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... 10:26 - Mar 25 with 10512 viewsBlueBertie

Apologies if already mentioned but Mick is on TalkSport at 11am this morning (Thursday). Jim White has just used that phrase 'be careful what you wish for' blah blah blah. He's also mention Mick has still got the hump about the way it ended. Just saying.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 10:28 - Mar 25 with 5321 viewsBlueBadger

Just getting this in now: if you were upset by a football manager swearing at a football match, then you deserve to be upset. Doubly so if you were singing a song dissing on your own team whilst playing away at Norwich.

That should save us all about 6 pages.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2021 10:29]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 10:35 - Mar 25 with 5278 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I caught the pre-amble.

Jordan and White briefly mentioned Cardiff, and then went on to waffle about Ipswich.

...it's amazing that 3 years on, with McCarthy on his 3rd job since leaving us, we are still the main topic.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 10:52 - Mar 25 with 5212 viewsHipsterectomy

Some of our away games, particularly the London-based ones were always quite vile towards Mick. I remember some of the worst abuse I've ever seen Town fans give was at Brentford away, think we lost 2-0 and that was 2016...that's where I first saw Town fans shouting he was a pervert, dinosaur, he's a disgrace etc
[Post edited 25 Mar 2021 10:52]

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 10:54 - Mar 25 with 5184 viewsbluebud

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 10:35 - Mar 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

I caught the pre-amble.

Jordan and White briefly mentioned Cardiff, and then went on to waffle about Ipswich.

...it's amazing that 3 years on, with McCarthy on his 3rd job since leaving us, we are still the main topic.

Why? we treated him with such a level of stupidity that the football world won't let us forget it for a lot longer than 3 years...and it's totally deserved.
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 10:55 - Mar 25 with 5178 viewsFixed_It

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 10:52 - Mar 25 by Hipsterectomy

Some of our away games, particularly the London-based ones were always quite vile towards Mick. I remember some of the worst abuse I've ever seen Town fans give was at Brentford away, think we lost 2-0 and that was 2016...that's where I first saw Town fans shouting he was a pervert, dinosaur, he's a disgrace etc

Although his time was up, those 'fans' were a disgrace and an embarrassment to the Club.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 10:57 - Mar 25 with 5150 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 10:54 - Mar 25 by bluebud

Why? we treated him with such a level of stupidity that the football world won't let us forget it for a lot longer than 3 years...and it's totally deserved.

Speak for yourself.

Everyone should just move on.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:05 - Mar 25 with 5101 viewsMattinLondon

The abuse towards him was vile and inexcusable- saying that I reckon the abuse he faced at Sunderland and Wolves was probably just as bad.

I wish him all the best - he’s a good championship manager - and seems like a decent fella.
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:07 - Mar 25 with 5087 viewsHerbivore

Following Town at away matches in London invariably makes me feel embarrassed to be a Town fan. The Stone Island lads are usually out in force, middle aged blokes with shiny heads trying to start fights with their fellow fans. Awful.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:10 - Mar 25 with 5053 viewsbluebud

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 10:57 - Mar 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

Speak for yourself.

Yes boss, thanks for the orders.
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:10 - Mar 25 with 5060 viewsMattinLondon

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:07 - Mar 25 by Herbivore

Following Town at away matches in London invariably makes me feel embarrassed to be a Town fan. The Stone Island lads are usually out in force, middle aged blokes with shiny heads trying to start fights with their fellow fans. Awful.

Their faded jeans and faded denim jackets barely covering their pathetic lives as they try to impress youngsters by squaring up to stewards fifty metres away.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2021 11:11]
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:12 - Mar 25 with 5037 viewsclive_baker

It went both ways to be fair. It was certainly wrong to have fans frothing at the mouth to call him a c*** as he walked off the pitch. Was it Brentford away, we lost and seemed to have a large contingent of day trippers at the front being overly abusive. Equally, swearing at his own fans wasn't a good look either. 2 wrongs don't make a right and all that.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:12 - Mar 25 with 5035 viewsBloomBlue

Precisely I think most fans of other teams laughed their heads off we were so stupid to kick him out and the Be careful what you. came true, that will be a trophy Town fans will just have to learn to live with forever
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:14 - Mar 25 with 5017 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Let’s face it MM has a far superior squad now than at Ipswich and probably will have money to spend way above Evans allowed him.
He did a good job to start with, stats don’t lie -But his time was running out - he had a good crack at it. A lot more than most at championship level .

Thanks

How many more years will this crop up!
Double denim crew.... on 11:15 - Mar 25 with 4993 viewsBloots

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:10 - Mar 25 by MattinLondon

Their faded jeans and faded denim jackets barely covering their pathetic lives as they try to impress youngsters by squaring up to stewards fifty metres away.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2021 11:11]

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:19 - Mar 25 with 4964 viewsclive_baker

Replied before I saw this.

Quite, Brentford was particularly bad but as you say a lot of London away games were. It's the classic 8am train from Stowmarket / Ipswich, pints and lines in Liverpool street pre match, freshly ironed Stone Island jumper and ill fitting jeans, 'lads' playing at being a football hooligan day trip.

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:22 - Mar 25 with 4921 viewsBlueWorldOrder

I don't remember the fans choosing not to renew his contract? Whatever grumblings there were at the time it was Evans who made that decision. I'd argue that had Evans not hung Mick out to dry the supporters would have never got to that point.

Poll: Should we stop changing kits every season?

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:24 - Mar 25 with 4909 viewsIllinoisblue

Have they mentioned Mick telling his own fans to f**k off yet?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:29 - Mar 25 with 4870 viewsbluebud

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:12 - Mar 25 by clive_baker

It went both ways to be fair. It was certainly wrong to have fans frothing at the mouth to call him a c*** as he walked off the pitch. Was it Brentford away, we lost and seemed to have a large contingent of day trippers at the front being overly abusive. Equally, swearing at his own fans wasn't a good look either. 2 wrongs don't make a right and all that.

it's not equally though. It would've been equally if perhaps the incident had happened earlier in his tenure or indeed it was the first incident.

However his outburst was a reaction to the utterly awful behaviour towards him when in actual fact, he was doing a good job. I can't even imagine the pressure he was under and how bewildered he must have been at some of the poison directed at him. So when we scored at Letsbe, whoever his shouts were directed at I'm sure they deserved it.
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:29 - Mar 25 with 4859 viewsSwansea_Blue

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 10:57 - Mar 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

Speak for yourself.

Well this is it, it was only a very small section of the fans that hurled abuse at him. They deserve all they get, but the rest of us don't need to be dragged into it. It'd be nice to hear that nuance in the reporting of it.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Double denim crew.... on 11:30 - Mar 25 with 4853 viewsMattinLondon

Double denim crew.... on 11:15 - Mar 25 by Bloots

That’s a level of denim I have never seen before.
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:30 - Mar 25 with 4845 viewsbluebud

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:24 - Mar 25 by Illinoisblue

Have they mentioned Mick telling his own fans to f**k off yet?

The pont was they weren't "his" own fans....it was the exact opposite.
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:33 - Mar 25 with 4811 viewsBlueWorldOrder

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:29 - Mar 25 by Swansea_Blue

Well this is it, it was only a very small section of the fans that hurled abuse at him. They deserve all they get, but the rest of us don't need to be dragged into it. It'd be nice to hear that nuance in the reporting of it.

Evans chose not to renew Mick. Not the fans.

Poll: Should we stop changing kits every season?

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:40 - Mar 25 with 4727 viewsChurchman

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:12 - Mar 25 by BloomBlue

Precisely I think most fans of other teams laughed their heads off we were so stupid to kick him out and the Be careful what you. came true, that will be a trophy Town fans will just have to learn to live with forever

I disagree. After five and a half years it was time to go. He was stale and so was his football. He should also have been fired for his behaviour at Norwich. He did well for three seasons but not at the end. One of the worst owners in football and two subsequent muppet managers doesn’t change anything. Ipswich supporters have as much right as any to wish better than the largely dross served up for 13 plus years. They did not bankrupt the club in 2003. Nor did the flog it to fast buck Evans to flush down the toilet.

As for the people that hurled personal abuse at him, they deserve a kick up the rear end. It was totally unacceptable. Whatever the failings personal abuse is plain wrong. But they are not unique. I sometimes used to go to Torquay games when my dad lived there for a bit and the vile abuse hurled at the players and manager started as they ran out. Plainmoor, being a small ground, they heard every word. Same at Exeter too. And talking of London, the abuse that begins if they are not winning after about 20 mins is unreal. My first ever away game was at Spurs in the early 70s and we were watching not far from the dugout. Bill Nicholson (a legendary manager if ever there was one) was called every name under the sun when they were losing.

This is not to excuse the #ankers that abused McCarthy. They deserved to be arrested. It’s just to say that abuse is not unique to ITFC and it’s a tiny minority that do it. As for that nauseating smug cretin Jim White, he can carry on stealing a living and enjoying ITFCs demise as much as he likes. I don’t want to hear him any more than I do that second rate clown Sutton .
Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:41 - Mar 25 with 4708 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:10 - Mar 25 by bluebud

Yes boss, thanks for the orders.

Good lad, dont let it happen again.

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:43 - Mar 25 with 4691 viewsclive_baker

Mccarthy on TalkSport..... on 11:29 - Mar 25 by bluebud

it's not equally though. It would've been equally if perhaps the incident had happened earlier in his tenure or indeed it was the first incident.

However his outburst was a reaction to the utterly awful behaviour towards him when in actual fact, he was doing a good job. I can't even imagine the pressure he was under and how bewildered he must have been at some of the poison directed at him. So when we scored at Letsbe, whoever his shouts were directed at I'm sure they deserved it.

I'm not condoning any of the abuse that MM received, it was completely out of order and over the top. As you say, he was an honest guy who had done his best by this club and by and large had delivered good results, especially relative to our investment.

As a manager you cannot tell your own fans to f off though, deserved or not. He was a bit of a cantankerous fellow at times which is one thing, but that crossed a line. Abuse of him was vile, but he didn't handle it well. I think both of those things can be true.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024