Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mings 21:20 - Mar 25 with 3119 viewsPortman_Pie

Does anyone else get that irrepressible feeling of proud joy when watching him play for England - knowing he came to us on a complete punt - made it, and has subsequently gone on to represent the 11 most elite players in the country?

Again - credit to Mick / the scouting team at the time to achieve this...

#Boys done bloody good
Mings on 21:27 - Mar 25 with 2561 viewsMerseyBlue

I'm always happy to see his career develop, especially after a really bad injury at Bournemouth.

But at the same time, I'm hacked off that a keeper we binned off and a defender who was too good for us are currently playing for England and we're left with the bottom of the barrel in League 1

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Mings on 21:31 - Mar 25 with 2536 viewsclive_baker

Mings on 21:27 - Mar 25 by MerseyBlue

I'm always happy to see his career develop, especially after a really bad injury at Bournemouth.

But at the same time, I'm hacked off that a keeper we binned off and a defender who was too good for us are currently playing for England and we're left with the bottom of the barrel in League 1

Pope
Webster
Cresswell
Clarke
Mings
Hourihane
Marriott
Rhodes

Many more of course. All ifs and buts but it does leave you thinking ‘what if’.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Mings on 21:35 - Mar 25 with 2509 viewsSitfcB

It’s a shame Cresswell didn’t push on for England as well, think he got injured not long after getting his first call up.

I saw the other day that he’s now the second highest on the West Ham appearances list for the Premier League.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Mings on 21:37 - Mar 25 with 2497 viewsMerseyBlue

Mings on 21:31 - Mar 25 by clive_baker

Pope
Webster
Cresswell
Clarke
Mings
Hourihane
Marriott
Rhodes

Thoroughly depressing. Whilst we lost some to bigger clubs for bigger money, we've also just pissed away far too much in the Evans era

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Mings on 21:44 - Mar 25 with 2458 viewsMelford

On a similar note apart from 5 or so players in that squad tonight we have seen them playing in the Championship on their way up.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Mings on 21:50 - Mar 25 with 2437 viewsSteve_M

Similarly, this is a justifiably proud tweet:

Watkins’ smile after his goal was lovely to see.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Mings on 21:52 - Mar 25 with 2411 viewsjeera

I was chuffed to bits for him.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Mings on 21:55 - Mar 25 with 2389 viewschrismakin

Was it Russel Osman who 'found' him, or have I got the player mixed up?

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Login to get fewer ads

Mings on 21:56 - Mar 25 with 2385 viewsGuthrum

Mings on 21:55 - Mar 25 by chrismakin

Was it Russel Osman who 'found' him, or have I got the player mixed up?

Osman's son played alongside Mings at Chippenham.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Mings on 21:56 - Mar 25 with 2393 viewsjudespiveyg

What's crazy to me is that he's an international standard centre-half, because he was such a great left-back. I genuinely rated him more than Cresswell for us (who played games for England at left-back).

One of my favourite Ipswich players ever along with McGoldrick and Stead.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2021 22:47]

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Mings on 22:05 - Mar 25 with 2337 viewschrismakin

Mings on 21:56 - Mar 25 by Guthrum

Osman's son played alongside Mings at Chippenham.

What a find, and well done to Mick for gambling.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Mings on 22:44 - Mar 25 with 2225 viewsRyorry

Mings on 21:50 - Mar 25 by Steve_M

Similarly, this is a justifiably proud tweet:

Watkins’ smile after his goal was lovely to see.

Was thinking during the game about the similar trajectories of his & Mings' careers from the lower leagues.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Mings on 23:27 - Mar 25 with 2156 viewsMelford

Mings on 21:56 - Mar 25 by judespiveyg

What's crazy to me is that he's an international standard centre-half, because he was such a great left-back. I genuinely rated him more than Cresswell for us (who played games for England at left-back).

Bit like John Stones, I remember my Barnsley folks raving about him and he was a sh!t hot attacking right-back before he came inside.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Mings on 23:39 - Mar 25 with 2137 viewsChurchman

Mings on 21:56 - Mar 25 by judespiveyg

I think he was always going to be a Centre Half. I think MM indicated that when he broke into the team.

In my view Cresswell was a far better full back than Mings (a bit unfair on Mings as He’d only just broken into first team football). Cresswell was good enough to play for England. He was a really good player and I enjoyed watching him play.
Mings on 23:46 - Mar 25 with 2106 viewsBlueBadger

Mings on 23:39 - Mar 25 by Churchman

I think he was always going to be a Centre Half. I think MM indicated that when he broke into the team.

In my view Cresswell was a far better full back than Mings (a bit unfair on Mings as He’d only just broken into first team football). Cresswell was good enough to play for England. He was a really good player and I enjoyed watching him play.

Cresswell was a 'proper' fullback in the Tarrico/Wilnis vein. Mings was more in the Hreidersson vein.

I'd have loved to have seen Tarricco and Hermann in the same team.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Mings on 00:05 - Mar 26 with 2091 viewsjudespiveyg

Mings on 23:39 - Mar 25 by Churchman

What stood out to me about Mings was his attacking ability though that's the thing, used to fly down the line, which is why I've always been surprised he's a centre half, in my mind he was everything a modern full back should be.

As for comparing him to Cresswell, who was also a great player for us, I think he comes out on top in a lot of individual aspects. Taller, more physical, faster, better attacking ability, better in the air, better tackler. Cresswell was maybe fractionally better on the ball. Obviously Cresswell was the better crosser (my Dad reckons Muhren's the only player who beats Cresswell for crossing.)
[Post edited 26 Mar 2021 0:07]

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Mings on 00:17 - Mar 26 with 2070 viewswkj

I love Mings, and I am glad he developed into a centre back role. Not a thing wrong with him on the wing when he was here, but I always though he had a lot of the makings of a box general.

And to think a number of people on here called him rubbish or words to those effect.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Mings on 01:06 - Mar 26 with 2023 viewsJ2BLUE

I still think of him as one of ours.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Mings on 07:04 - Mar 26 with 1879 viewsHeadWestBlue

Mings on 21:31 - Mar 25 by clive_baker

Pope
Webster
Cresswell
Clarke
Mings
Hourihane
Marriott
Rhodes

Let’s hope by 2026 we are not adding

Downes
Dozell
Wolf
Nydam

To the list of “What if” or “If only”
Mings on 07:22 - Mar 26 with 1839 viewswkj

Mings on 07:04 - Mar 26 by HeadWestBlue

Let’s hope by 2026 we are not adding

Downes
Dozell
Wolf
Nydam

To the list of “What if” or “If only”

Doz needs to find his game, while he is a young player, he isn't a youth player any more - and there have been question marks this season. Unless something changes fast, I fear Wolfenden is very much on that list - Downes seems more likely to excel, and Nydam is veyr much watch this space.

Crybaby

Mings on 07:25 - Mar 26 with 1839 viewsCoastalblue

He can't be much good, he only cost £10K and a packet of rolos, I suppose at least he wasnt a free but imagine how good he would have gone on to be if we had paid a million pounds for him.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Mings on 07:28 - Mar 26 with 1827 viewswkj

Mings on 07:25 - Mar 26 by Coastalblue

He can't be much good, he only cost £10K and a packet of rolos, I suppose at least he wasnt a free but imagine how good he would have gone on to be if we had paid a million pounds for him.

TWTD - Judging Mings by his transfer value rather than watching him play.

Crybaby

Mings on 07:34 - Mar 26 with 1817 viewsDeano69

Mings on 21:37 - Mar 25 by MerseyBlue

Thoroughly depressing. Whilst we lost some to bigger clubs for bigger money, we've also just pissed away far too much in the Evans era

We have to sell to progress, I think that was the line. Well that’s worked out well.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Mings on 07:37 - Mar 26 with 1811 viewstextbackup

Mings on 01:06 - Mar 26 by J2BLUE

I still think of him as one of ours.

why?
[Post edited 26 Mar 2021 7:39]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Mings on 08:03 - Mar 26 with 1756 viewsITFC_Forever

Mings on 07:28 - Mar 26 by wkj

TWTD - Judging Mings by his transfer value rather than watching him play.

I can remember when I posted on here, that we (along with Leicester and a few others) were interested in a striker for non-league Fleetwood who had been banging them in at that level for £1m and was scoffed at.

It was Jamie Vardy. Nothing ever became of him....

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024