Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season 19:19 - Mar 26 with 1777 viewsgordon

And we're worried that playing 2 strikers might change the 'ethos of the team'.

The 'ethos of the team' at the moment is that we're relying on Parrott, Judge and Edwards to open teams up, with Dozzell and Bishop as the defensive shield...
3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 19:28 - Mar 26 with 1752 viewsSwansea_Blue

I don't want to join the few critical voices as I don't think that's helpful and believe he needs quite a bit of time, but I did think that his comments about ethos didn't make a lot of sense. We don't play like a classic 4231 (or variations on it) anyway, so what's he worried about changing?

Fine if he wants to play a certain way, but it'll take time to get the players in (anything that revolves around possession will need a new defensive line for a start). This season we were in the PO places only a few weeks ago and it was in our own hands, so you'd think he'd bite the bullet and play to our strengths, not his ambitions. It might cost us the chance to go up.

Still, everyone says he's wonderful and a real coup, so I'm more than happy to support whatever he does for now. But I'll leave a part of my mind open. He's got a free pass for now.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2021 19:33]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 19:40 - Mar 26 with 1725 viewsGuthrum

Altho for a 4-4-2 to work, we'd need somebody effective out wide, getting to the by-line and putting in decent crosses. Do we have those players, either?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 19:49 - Mar 26 with 1706 viewshadleighboyblue

3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 19:28 - Mar 26 by Swansea_Blue

I don't want to join the few critical voices as I don't think that's helpful and believe he needs quite a bit of time, but I did think that his comments about ethos didn't make a lot of sense. We don't play like a classic 4231 (or variations on it) anyway, so what's he worried about changing?

Fine if he wants to play a certain way, but it'll take time to get the players in (anything that revolves around possession will need a new defensive line for a start). This season we were in the PO places only a few weeks ago and it was in our own hands, so you'd think he'd bite the bullet and play to our strengths, not his ambitions. It might cost us the chance to go up.

Still, everyone says he's wonderful and a real coup, so I'm more than happy to support whatever he does for now. But I'll leave a part of my mind open. He's got a free pass for now.

I'm still totally behind Paul Cook , unfortunately it doesn't feel like the players are busting a gut to make things happen .

It's the players that need to do their talking on the pitch , whatever formation we play
3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 19:52 - Mar 26 with 1695 viewsVic

3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 19:28 - Mar 26 by Swansea_Blue

Like you, I really don’t want to be countered amount the few naysayers, but I thought this since before he was even appointed. Lambert was absolutely slaughtered for refusing to switch to a 442, Cook says exactly the same and hardly an eyebrow is raised. I think it’s strange, and it concerns me slightly that he so resolutely has only one style.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 20:03 - Mar 26 with 1669 viewsgordon

3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 19:52 - Mar 26 by Vic

Like you, I really don’t want to be countered amount the few naysayers, but I thought this since before he was even appointed. Lambert was absolutely slaughtered for refusing to switch to a 442, Cook says exactly the same and hardly an eyebrow is raised. I think it’s strange, and it concerns me slightly that he so resolutely has only one style.

Yes, there's no point messing around, so far he's just continued to make lots of the same mistakes as Lambert. Not saying he won't sort things out in the summer, though.
3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 20:04 - Mar 26 with 1662 viewsgordon

Yes, there's no-one in that team that knows what they're supposed to be doing anyway.
3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 21:43 - Mar 26 with 1525 viewsWallingford_Boy

Come on it’s fewer, not less.... that’s basic maths!

RIP Sir Bobby

3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 21:54 - Mar 26 with 1493 viewsStNeotsBlue

3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 19:52 - Mar 26 by Vic

In Cook's defence he says in Phil's article in the remaining 11 games he will play any formation or do anything it takes to win us a game.
My problem has never been with the formation it's how we have implemented it so poorly that has been the issue.
Login to get fewer ads

3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 22:19 - Mar 26 with 1461 viewsStewart27

What is it with this 4-4-2 thing?

It sounds so Sunday league.

I’m happy to have a manager that has a successful style and I can’t wait to see it bear fruit. If this hopeless lot can’t buy into it then it may take a little longer than we’d hoped.

Either way it’s time to back the manager.
3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 05:00 - Mar 27 with 1357 viewsBondiBlue

The only thing that worries me about the cook appointment is that evans has seen lambert move (successfully for 3 games) away from the sideways passing he insisted on and sacked him. He’s then gone and got someone in who is even more insistent on playing Marcus Evans football. The one thing we’re all clinging to is that cook has got a far better record, and is much less of a tw@t

Poll: Which would you accept?

3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 05:49 - Mar 27 with 1344 viewsBlueBadger

3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 05:00 - Mar 27 by BondiBlue

The only thing that worries me about the cook appointment is that evans has seen lambert move (successfully for 3 games) away from the sideways passing he insisted on and sacked him. He’s then gone and got someone in who is even more insistent on playing Marcus Evans football. The one thing we’re all clinging to is that cook has got a far better record, and is much less of a tw@t

It wasn't Lambert who moved away from the Technical Football, it was Matt Gill. Lambert had basically stopped what little he was doing at that point.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 06:00 - Mar 27 with 1333 viewschrismakin

Probably because if you've followed the management career of Cook ( or looked at previous supporters forums etc) PC has always followed his preferred formation.

I've no problem him doing that, he has a massive squad and some big decisions to make regarding contracts, he needs to know out of our lot, who can and who can't play the way he will need them to in his 4 2 3 1

They are professional footballers, and it's actually quite damning for our squad that they struggle with simple instructions.

4-2-3-1 and 4-4-2 are fairly similar anyway, both rely on attacking fullbacks, where as 4 4 2 actually needs proper wingers compared to the 4 2 3 1, so we still aren't in a great position player wise for that anyway. 4 4 2 also needs a box to box midfielder, with Nolan out, neither Bish, Judge or Dozzell can be seen as box to box players.

When PC gets on a run of games with wins, no one will mention 4 4 2 again, it's just the fallback formation people go to when things don't work like it's a magic formula.

Against Pompy, Bennetts in the first half for example was playing a roaming role and was supporting Norwood well, so whilst it wasn't a '4 4 2' it wasn't that Norwood was isolated, Bennetts and Edwards both supported him well. It was however the same story after 40 odd minutes where we stopped pressing, the support to Norwood stopped and then it just looked like an isolated striker uptop.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2021 6:13]

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 08:35 - Mar 27 with 1237 viewsjayessess

I dunno why everyone is so fixated on 4-4-2 as the solution to our problems. Parrott's a centre forward and he spends most of his time on the pitch close to the striker. When he's played and we've tried to play through midfield, like at Fleetwood and Gillingham, our midfield has been out-numbered and over-powered.

It worked well a few times when we went direct and bypassed the midfield (Hull, Oxford, Doncaster to a lesser extent), which is what Cook means by "changing the ethos". We play 4-4-2, we have to lump it.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 08:39 - Mar 27 with 1223 viewsBondiBlue

3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 08:35 - Mar 27 by jayessess

I dunno why everyone is so fixated on 4-4-2 as the solution to our problems. Parrott's a centre forward and he spends most of his time on the pitch close to the striker. When he's played and we've tried to play through midfield, like at Fleetwood and Gillingham, our midfield has been out-numbered and over-powered.

It worked well a few times when we went direct and bypassed the midfield (Hull, Oxford, Doncaster to a lesser extent), which is what Cook means by "changing the ethos". We play 4-4-2, we have to lump it.

Lump it or get it wide and cross it. Either way, we’d really need Hawkins fit. How Norwood and Jackson worked so well is beyond me, on paper they are too similar. Mind you the Mathie and Johnson partnership also lacked a target man and that worked fine.

Poll: Which would you accept?

3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 09:08 - Mar 27 with 1193 viewsgordon

3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 08:35 - Mar 27 by jayessess

But the absolute main problem for this team is not scoring enough goals and has been all season. The thing we really need is players on the pitch with a knack for scoring or creating goals.

We've shown repeatedly this season that we struggle to pass through teams playing nice football for whatever reason. That just isn't going to change because we've got a new manager.

Regardless of whatever ethos we might have in the long-term, in the short-term we just need to put a team on the pitch with a bit more of a goal threat. Can't remember how long Downes + Nolan are out for, but they'd be straight in once back - Bishop can tuck inside on the right with KVY bombing outside.

Vincent-Young---Wilson---Chambers---Kenlock
Bishop--------Downes-------Nolan--------Edwards
----------------Jackson--------Norwood

I'm not criticising PC for not picking injured players, and I know we haven't got like for likes for these two now, just generally saying this is what I'd go for.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2021 9:10]
3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 09:42 - Mar 27 with 1155 viewsBlueBoots

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the list of link-up goal stats (i.e. combinations of who provided the assist when a particular player scores a goal) our best combination so far this season has been the 3 goals scored by Norwood that were assisted by Jackson - but I honestly can't remember them starting a game together this season...

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 09:47 - Mar 27 with 1142 viewsjayessess

3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 09:42 - Mar 27 by BlueBoots

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the list of link-up goal stats (i.e. combinations of who provided the assist when a particular player scores a goal) our best combination so far this season has been the 3 goals scored by Norwood that were assisted by Jackson - but I honestly can't remember them starting a game together this season...

Kayden has 1 assist this season, which was a flick on for Keanan Bennetts.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 09:51 - Mar 27 with 1137 viewsgordon

3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 09:42 - Mar 27 by BlueBoots

https://fbref.com/en/squads/b74092de/Ipswich-Town-Stats

That site has assists listed as well, and Jackson only has one there.
3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 10:14 - Mar 27 with 1082 viewsbluewein

Just to repeat what I said on the news comments...

Not sure why so many are bothered by this. It's a long term project for Cook, and playing the system that has brought him success over the last 9 years will tell him which of these players are good enough for his system and which aren't. With all the contracts up in the summer, playing his preferred style will have helped him chuck out all the deadwood at this club and bring in the players he can trust.

Lambert was slaughtered because he had been bloody awful as a manager for 9 years. I'll trust Cook to get this right over PL...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 10:53 - Mar 27 with 1036 viewsTieDyedIn95

The best forward pairing we have, as proven, is Jackson and Norwood up front. The only time we did well enough in this league was when we had them both in the team.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 11:00 - Mar 27 with 1012 viewsgordon

3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 10:14 - Mar 27 by bluewein

Just to repeat what I said on the news comments...

Not sure why so many are bothered by this. It's a long term project for Cook, and playing the system that has brought him success over the last 9 years will tell him which of these players are good enough for his system and which aren't. With all the contracts up in the summer, playing his preferred style will have helped him chuck out all the deadwood at this club and bring in the players he can trust.

Lambert was slaughtered because he had been bloody awful as a manager for 9 years. I'll trust Cook to get this right over PL...

Yes, I'd expect him to have a decent-ish shot at getting it right in the long-term.

Just think that it doesn't make much sense to leave Jackson on the bench when we have such an awful goalscoring record, if we're genuinely trying to get promoted.

Iif we're actually just getting things in place for next year, then fair enough, but if most of this squad are going to be binned off, again it doesn't really matter what formation they play now.
3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 11:08 - Mar 27 with 1003 viewsThe_Realist_09

Paul Cook has followed a successful career as a footballer, with a successful career in management where this success has been based off his strong ethos of how his team plays in a certain 4-2-3-1.

I really don't think we should be questioning his knowledge on these subjects as mere spectators. Unfortunately this isn't football manager or Fifa where we have the luxury of just adjusting tactics and seeing different results instantly.

When you employ a manager, you know what their ethos is and what has brought them success. You are buying into that at this point, from here you must give them the time and resources to make that work, especially if you've seen them have recent success with it. If over a period of time with this backing it doesn't work out, then fair play and they move on.

I believe Paul Cook has missed out in the playoffs a couple of times with previous clubs then come back and won the league the next year. Let's just give him some backing, he's been in the job a month and had one full week of training and us fans seem to think we are more tactically advanced than him..
3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 11:13 - Mar 27 with 996 viewstractorboy1978

3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 09:08 - Mar 27 by gordon

But the absolute main problem for this team is not scoring enough goals and has been all season. The thing we really need is players on the pitch with a knack for scoring or creating goals.

We've shown repeatedly this season that we struggle to pass through teams playing nice football for whatever reason. That just isn't going to change because we've got a new manager.

Regardless of whatever ethos we might have in the long-term, in the short-term we just need to put a team on the pitch with a bit more of a goal threat. Can't remember how long Downes + Nolan are out for, but they'd be straight in once back - Bishop can tuck inside on the right with KVY bombing outside.

Vincent-Young---Wilson---Chambers---Kenlock
Bishop--------Downes-------Nolan--------Edwards
----------------Jackson--------Norwood

I'm not criticising PC for not picking injured players, and I know we haven't got like for likes for these two now, just generally saying this is what I'd go for.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2021 9:10]

And there you go, you want to play a 4-4-2 with a central midfielder out wide and two central midfielders that aren't even going to be fit for the remainder of this season.

The idea 4-4-2 is some panacea is absolutely nonsense.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2021 11:15]
3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 11:43 - Mar 27 with 944 viewsbluewein

3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 11:00 - Mar 27 by gordon

Yes, I'd expect him to have a decent-ish shot at getting it right in the long-term.

Just think that it doesn't make much sense to leave Jackson on the bench when we have such an awful goalscoring record, if we're genuinely trying to get promoted.

Iif we're actually just getting things in place for next year, then fair enough, but if most of this squad are going to be binned off, again it doesn't really matter what formation they play now.

I think deep down Cook knows this squad isn't good enough for promotion, and if we did get promoted we'd be emulating Wycombe next season.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is he has the rest of the season to see who is good enough to work in a system he trusts and that will give these players a head start on next season wherever we end up...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 12:10 - Mar 27 with 885 viewsgordon

3 teams in League 1 with less goals than ITFC this season on 11:13 - Mar 27 by tractorboy1978

And there you go, you want to play a 4-4-2 with a central midfielder out wide and two central midfielders that aren't even going to be fit for the remainder of this season.

The idea 4-4-2 is some panacea is absolutely nonsense.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2021 11:15]

Pretty sure it isn't a panacea too! Just making the point that if you've been playing 1 up front for 30 odd games, and you've got close to the worst attacking record in the division while having a pretty good squad, and you've also got two strikers in the squad who have a pretty good record while played together, it may be worth a shot.

The point of putting in Nolan and Downes was to acknowledge that they might be the best 2 in a 4-4-2 and are out injured.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024