Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This wholesale turning on the players 00:18 - Mar 28 with 7237 viewsreusersfreekicks

Is unseemly imo. They haven't been properly organised/coached for a couple of years. Now just cos Cook turns up and things don't improve many people turn on them as he can't be doing anything wrong. I beg to differ, he has achieved no bounce and has been less pragmatic than Gill was. He should be doing whatever works these last few games, same as Lambert should have when we were in the championship. Instead I see a fairly rigid adherence to a style/formation. As others have said we have no-one in form to play in the 3 behind the forward except maybe Judge who was poor today and Bishop who is required in a deeper role. So let's not play like that. A new managet should be able to galvanise and enthuse the players to do better
This wholesale turning on the players on 00:22 - Mar 28 with 3385 viewsSuffolkBlue11

The thing is he said he wants to play Jackson through the middle with Norwood yet says it will change the ethos of the team too much. Seems like he doesn’t trust the players to play in a different formation rightly or wrongly
This wholesale turning on the players on 00:34 - Mar 28 with 3350 viewsCoastalblue

I think the reality is that we're in such a mess, whichever aspect of the club you look at and people want somewhere to direct their ire.

Lambert has gone and is replaced by a new guy, that a lot wanted so they can't throw stones that way, Evans seems to be deaf to anything that's said anyway so it just leaves the players.

We need a root and branch sort out from top to bottom with some clear strategies in place, nit a pointless 5 point plan that we'll deviate from when it suits.

I think we have to limp through to the end of this season, accept it's fecked and has been for a long time and then in the summer we have got to decide what we actually are, or want to be and start working toward it.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

This wholesale turning on the players on 00:40 - Mar 28 with 3323 viewschrismakin

Once again though, it can't turn into another 'lets protect the players' era

To many are to comfortable, they have been for years, and when the same people are around and new players come into the club, the negative mentality breeds.

To much is being spoken of about formation etc, it doesn't matter what we play if the players haven't got the mentality to shoot, cross, pass or run forwards rather than back.

It's not even positioning etc which is a major problem, it's the lack of urgency, and no matter how much coaching you put in, if the player don't want to push themselves, nothing will change it.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

This wholesale turning on the players on 00:50 - Mar 28 with 3308 viewspointofblue

This wholesale turning on the players on 00:40 - Mar 28 by chrismakin

Once again though, it can't turn into another 'lets protect the players' era

To many are to comfortable, they have been for years, and when the same people are around and new players come into the club, the negative mentality breeds.

To much is being spoken of about formation etc, it doesn't matter what we play if the players haven't got the mentality to shoot, cross, pass or run forwards rather than back.

It's not even positioning etc which is a major problem, it's the lack of urgency, and no matter how much coaching you put in, if the player don't want to push themselves, nothing will change it.

Likewise it cannot be another “let’s give the manager a transfer window after he fails to make any clear improvements with the squad he’s got” - look how well that worked for Lambert. If we fail to make the play offs with the position we were in and squad we have (it’s awful but look at most others in the league) then Cook has failed his first objective IMO.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

This wholesale turning on the players on 00:58 - Mar 28 with 3289 viewschrismakin

This wholesale turning on the players on 00:50 - Mar 28 by pointofblue

Likewise it cannot be another “let’s give the manager a transfer window after he fails to make any clear improvements with the squad he’s got” - look how well that worked for Lambert. If we fail to make the play offs with the position we were in and squad we have (it’s awful but look at most others in the league) then Cook has failed his first objective IMO.

As i mention in the other thread, that's my belief on why it's not a failure, and despite 'wants' he wouldn't have been hired with promotion this season as his objective,

Lambert had 31 games, training and a transfer window before taking us down, I agree he was given way to much 'respect' for such a bad job. But you can't judge any manager at any level at any club without being able to do things 'their' own way and with 'their' signings involved. Football is to unpredictable. We don't know for example IF any of the 'old school' players with respect for lambert are playing hardball with Cook, we don't know if they are all downing tools because they've all accepted contracts elsewhere.

There's to many unknowns to judge cook IMO.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2021 0:59]

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

This wholesale turning on the players on 02:26 - Mar 28 with 3261 viewsSuffolkBlue11

This wholesale turning on the players on 00:58 - Mar 28 by chrismakin

As i mention in the other thread, that's my belief on why it's not a failure, and despite 'wants' he wouldn't have been hired with promotion this season as his objective,

Lambert had 31 games, training and a transfer window before taking us down, I agree he was given way to much 'respect' for such a bad job. But you can't judge any manager at any level at any club without being able to do things 'their' own way and with 'their' signings involved. Football is to unpredictable. We don't know for example IF any of the 'old school' players with respect for lambert are playing hardball with Cook, we don't know if they are all downing tools because they've all accepted contracts elsewhere.

There's to many unknowns to judge cook IMO.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2021 0:59]

Yeah as much as I’d like to see us go up this year I don’t think cook can be slated too much if we don’t. He needs to be given a full transfer window, hopefully get his assistant, get a full pre season under our belts and see how we start next season. Of course this is partly dependent on whether evans plays ball transfer wise
This wholesale turning on the players on 02:28 - Mar 28 with 3257 viewschrismakin

This wholesale turning on the players on 02:26 - Mar 28 by SuffolkBlue11

Yeah as much as I’d like to see us go up this year I don’t think cook can be slated too much if we don’t. He needs to be given a full transfer window, hopefully get his assistant, get a full pre season under our belts and see how we start next season. Of course this is partly dependent on whether evans plays ball transfer wise

I think for PC he needs to get a couple more wins just to keep some people onside

I can understand the fear, afterall look how it went with Hurst. So fingers crossed he can get some over the next few weeks.

This wholesale turning on the players on 08:46 - Mar 28 with 3081 viewsbluejacko

This wholesale turning on the players on 02:28 - Mar 28 by chrismakin

I think for PC he needs to get a couple more wins just to keep some people onside

I can understand the fear, afterall look how it went with Hurst. So fingers crossed he can get some over the next few weeks.

You can’t compare Hurst with Cook can you? Hurst was the maker of his own downfall with his disaster of a transfer window. If Cook gets his way close season then we can judge him on his players not Lamberts/ Hursts.
Mind you that’s if Evans let’s him have a clear out!
Login to get fewer ads

This wholesale turning on the players on 08:51 - Mar 28 with 3061 viewsHighgateBlue

This wholesale turning on the players on 00:22 - Mar 28 by SuffolkBlue11

The thing is he said he wants to play Jackson through the middle with Norwood yet says it will change the ethos of the team too much. Seems like he doesn’t trust the players to play in a different formation rightly or wrongly

It's his utterings on this issue that most confuse me. He's made lots of statements about how he wants his 1 up front, and that's how he's played at every club. But then he says he's desperate to try Jackson and Norwood together down the middle. I honestly haven't a clue what he thinks.
This wholesale turning on the players on 08:54 - Mar 28 with 3046 viewsgazzer1999

Remember all those that said any decent manager should get promoted with this squad? Well we were moving in the right direction before Cook arrived, now look at the dross we are being dished up.
This season is over with 10 games to go.
I fear this manager will be gone after a poor start next season and the cycle begins again, same c**p different manager.
This wholesale turning on the players on 09:11 - Mar 28 with 2985 viewstextbackup

na fck it, they've been protected way too much.

hurst was at fault, lambert was at fault..... which they were to a degree.

come play for Ipswich and get the easiest ride of your life, because nobody expects anything of you

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

This wholesale turning on the players on 09:43 - Mar 28 with 2872 viewspointofblue

This wholesale turning on the players on 09:11 - Mar 28 by textbackup

come play for Ipswich and get the easiest ride of your life, because nobody expects anything of you

Hurst expected more and the players promptly downed tools.

This wholesale turning on the players on 09:53 - Mar 28 with 2837 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Utterly ridiculous that you wouldn't even give a manager one transfer window. You expect him to take what's been left by successive failed managers and turn them into winners overnight.

I thought I'd seen it all with the modern football fan's lack of patience, but you've set a new level.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

This wholesale turning on the players on 09:58 - Mar 28 with 2822 viewstractorboy1978

In a 4-4-2, who are you playing in the wide midfield roles? And who are you playing as the central midfield two?

It's absolutely staggering to me that anyone is getting on Cook's back - this is the most feeble, weak squad we've had in my time of watching ITFC and I can't wait for a lot of them to be shown the door.
This wholesale turning on the players on 10:00 - Mar 28 with 2807 viewstextbackup

This wholesale turning on the players on 09:43 - Mar 28 by pointofblue

Hurst expected more and the players promptly downed tools.

they then tell their friends about how nasty the managers are, knowing it'll get out, and the manager becomes the fall guy.

the managers have been pretty sht, appointed by a sht owner..... but the players have been the consistent sht for a period of years.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

This wholesale turning on the players on 10:45 - Mar 28 with 2716 viewspointofblue

This wholesale turning on the players on 09:53 - Mar 28 by The_Flashing_Smile

Utterly ridiculous that you wouldn't even give a manager one transfer window. You expect him to take what's been left by successive failed managers and turn them into winners overnight.

I thought I'd seen it all with the modern football fan's lack of patience, but you've set a new level.

The previous manager left us in the play off mix at point of departure. Maybe Cook will once we get through the sticky start, we’ll see.

This wholesale turning on the players on 11:34 - Mar 28 with 2670 viewsN2_Blue

Sorry but the players have got to take some responsibility. Some of these players have failed to play under 3 managers and the fans are realising it's no longer just because of management...we have every right to give them some flak now!

Why is it the players always get off scott free when things go wrong? Manager gets the flak. Lambert was an awful man and a useless coach but I also think the players didn't do him any favours.

They are so used to not being bothered that they are struggling to raise themselves and put in performances under Cook and that's not acceptable.

It's the lack of effort that is worrying.

Dozzell pulling up his socks as oppo players run past him is symptomatic of this club for so many years. Until that attitude stops and players give everything this club will rot whoever the manager is!

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

This wholesale turning on the players on 11:35 - Mar 28 with 2668 viewsgazzer1999

This wholesale turning on the players on 09:53 - Mar 28 by The_Flashing_Smile

So why does everyone think that this squad should be getting promoted easily. Transfer windows is an easy curtain to hide behind, they all do it. Good coaches like Sir Bobby didn't bring in 5 players every year they coached good players through the ranks. At least we have K/D working with the first team as he knows what he and T/B have been working with, I just hope he is able to put his mark on the 1st team moving forward. He is really unfortunate not to have been given the job over one dimension Cook.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2021 11:36]
This wholesale turning on the players on 11:39 - Mar 28 with 2654 viewsSomethingBlue

Have we not reached the point where — rather than blaming manager after manager — we look at the people who have survived several of them and serially failed? That's the players ... and the owner.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2021 12:00]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

This wholesale turning on the players on 11:51 - Mar 28 with 2626 viewshaynes_toe1

I agree but its clear from this forum that the fans are as much responsible for the easy ride.

There's no way we got rid of Lambert and brought Cook in now with the related finances involved if it wasn't with the intention of reaching the playoffs.

To not manage this is a failure from PC. The performances so far have been slightly worse than under Lambert. All the stats point to it too.

Our fans shouldn't even be contemplating not making the play offs. That doesn't mean he has to be sacked as soon as we don't make them but it should be the minimum expectation from the position we were in when he came in.
This wholesale turning on the players on 11:52 - Mar 28 with 2620 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Precisely.

Far too many players coasting and freewheeling along with no real pressure to succeed, nice area, reasonable pay, placid fanbase, missus & kids settled , failure accepted......whats not to like for many of them?

This job is gonna be Cooks biggest managerial challenge ever.
This wholesale turning on the players on 11:53 - Mar 28 with 2615 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

This wholesale turning on the players on 10:45 - Mar 28 by pointofblue

The previous manager left us in the play off mix at point of departure. Maybe Cook will once we get through the sticky start, we’ll see.

Gill got a slight up-turn while Lambert was still here. Do you seriously not have the ability to look further than a handful of games?

This wholesale turning on the players on 11:54 - Mar 28 with 2609 viewstractorboy1978

This wholesale turning on the players on 11:35 - Mar 28 by gazzer1999

So why does everyone think that this squad should be getting promoted easily. Transfer windows is an easy curtain to hide behind, they all do it. Good coaches like Sir Bobby didn't bring in 5 players every year they coached good players through the ranks. At least we have K/D working with the first team as he knows what he and T/B have been working with, I just hope he is able to put his mark on the 1st team moving forward. He is really unfortunate not to have been given the job over one dimension Cook.

He also didn't coach them into world beaters overnight.

'One dimension Cook' has 3 league titles and two play finishes on his CV in the last 7 years, so it's not a bad dimension to have.
This wholesale turning on the players on 11:56 - Mar 28 with 2600 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

This wholesale turning on the players on 11:35 - Mar 28 by gazzer1999

Sir Bobby didn't hit the ground running after a handful of games.

I'm wasting my time here debating with sieve-heads. I'm done.

This wholesale turning on the players on 11:57 - Mar 28 with 2594 viewspointofblue

This wholesale turning on the players on 11:53 - Mar 28 by The_Flashing_Smile

Gill got a slight up-turn while Lambert was still here. Do you seriously not have the ability to look further than a handful of games?

The upturn was four games which was enough to get us within one point of the play offs - if the aim was to miss out on the play offs we may as well as have kept Lambert, which might have saved Evans money on the release clauses.

(As an aside we should have ditched Lambert and hired Cook post Portsmouth at home at the very latest to give him the January transfer window but heaven help we do something logical)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024