Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) 00:03 - Mar 29 with 3023 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Hi all. I was just wondering if anyone who has played sport at any level in the last three years would complete this quick survey for me on coaching and its affects and importance at different levels.

(Worth saying that each survey is totally anonymous and whatever answers you select will take you to various pathways and follow-up questions).

Very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

https://forms.gle/tVFncNjKiHb938XL9
[Post edited 29 Mar 2021 0:08]

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 16:52 - Mar 29 with 2140 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Cheers to the responses I’ve had already. Is much appreciated

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 17:09 - Mar 29 with 2126 viewsSteve_M

Done.

That last question though, you might need to weight your answers given the likely TWTD response.

Edit: Also Phil/Gav could you make this a sticky for a few days please.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2021 17:10]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 17:13 - Mar 29 with 2102 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 17:09 - Mar 29 by Steve_M

Done.

That last question though, you might need to weight your answers given the likely TWTD response.

Edit: Also Phil/Gav could you make this a sticky for a few days please.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2021 17:10]

Thanks mate. And cheers Phil/Gav for the sticky.

As for the last question, that’s more for my own analysis than to be used in statistics and graphs so the number of likely Ipswich related answers there is alright.

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 17:21 - Mar 29 with 2087 viewsclive_baker

Done.

Noticed an error on the 2nd page, you've accidentally listed darts as a sport...

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 17:30 - Mar 29 with 2078 viewsPlums

Done - or rather, done by my 16 year old son.
Good luck with your studies.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 17:32 - Mar 29 with 2077 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 17:21 - Mar 29 by clive_baker

Done.

Noticed an error on the 2nd page, you've accidentally listed darts as a sport...

Thanks bud.

Lockdown 1 maybe cost me a decent darts career I think. Played for a pub team in second year of uni. Was unbeaten for 15 weeks in singles (and doubles) and was barely dropping a leg when winning before lockdown and the regional team captain was coming to watch my next match with an idea of singing me to represent High Wycombe in the Buckinghamshire County league. Unfortunately, my next match was the week after the Cheltenham festival (because I’d gone to that so missed a week of darts) and lockdown came in and the rest of the season was postponed.

Next time darts returns.. I’ll have left High Wycombe. So I’ll probably never know. But I could’ve definitely done alright.. even hit 5 perfect darts of a 9 darter in one of my matches.

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 17:40 - Mar 29 with 2065 viewsfooters

Too lazy for sport but it's effects, not affects this time Rommy. Effect is a noun and affect is a verb.

May be helpful in your final write-up :)

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 18:04 - Mar 29 with 2042 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 17:40 - Mar 29 by footers

Too lazy for sport but it's effects, not affects this time Rommy. Effect is a noun and affect is a verb.

May be helpful in your final write-up :)

Thanks mate. Will edit that when I close the survey in about a weeks time.

Login to get fewer ads

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 18:09 - Mar 29 with 2037 viewsADStephenson

I've also completed it (well, am in the process) and found an error (unless I'm being idiotic - it happens...)
I put that I've had regular coaching and then got a follow up question that says "Do you believe that the introduction of a coach would have improved the results of your team/yourself?" The bit at the top says "Previously, you said that you did not receive regular coaching for your sport." I refreshed in case I'd clicked the wrong option but I don't think I have...

www.adstephenson.com

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 18:20 - Mar 29 with 2019 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 18:09 - Mar 29 by ADStephenson

I've also completed it (well, am in the process) and found an error (unless I'm being idiotic - it happens...)
I put that I've had regular coaching and then got a follow up question that says "Do you believe that the introduction of a coach would have improved the results of your team/yourself?" The bit at the top says "Previously, you said that you did not receive regular coaching for your sport." I refreshed in case I'd clicked the wrong option but I don't think I have...

Not sure what’s happened there. Apologies

I’ve just done it and if clicking yes to regular coaching, it goes to a page saying ‘Previously, you said thag you received coaching for your sport regularly (at least monthly).

Once you submit, I’ll have a look though and see what’s happened.

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 18:24 - Mar 29 with 2016 viewsJamestownPrince

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 17:32 - Mar 29 by The_Romford_Blue

Thanks bud.

Lockdown 1 maybe cost me a decent darts career I think. Played for a pub team in second year of uni. Was unbeaten for 15 weeks in singles (and doubles) and was barely dropping a leg when winning before lockdown and the regional team captain was coming to watch my next match with an idea of singing me to represent High Wycombe in the Buckinghamshire County league. Unfortunately, my next match was the week after the Cheltenham festival (because I’d gone to that so missed a week of darts) and lockdown came in and the rest of the season was postponed.

Next time darts returns.. I’ll have left High Wycombe. So I’ll probably never know. But I could’ve definitely done alright.. even hit 5 perfect darts of a 9 darter in one of my matches.

Keep at it mate

plenty of England Darts and WDF comps to play in mate, hopefully get going in the Autumn - British Open at Bridlinton in October, English Open at Selsey in September - been a year since I've played (other than 15 mins a day in my living room) - its actually helped me as it has stopped the degeneration of my shoulder!

Look after yourself

Neil
Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 18:25 - Mar 29 with 2013 viewsADStephenson

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 18:20 - Mar 29 by The_Romford_Blue

Not sure what’s happened there. Apologies

I’ve just done it and if clicking yes to regular coaching, it goes to a page saying ‘Previously, you said thag you received coaching for your sport regularly (at least monthly).

Once you submit, I’ll have a look though and see what’s happened.

I did get that option first, then the next page asked me about not having a coach. I put an answer saying that I did have a coach, if that helps...

www.adstephenson.com

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 18:27 - Mar 29 with 2011 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 18:25 - Mar 29 by ADStephenson

I did get that option first, then the next page asked me about not having a coach. I put an answer saying that I did have a coach, if that helps...

Yeah I have no idea then. Haha.

Cheers. Appreciate everyone helping out

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:31 - Mar 29 with 2004 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 18:25 - Mar 29 by ADStephenson

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 18:44 - Mar 29 with 1991 viewsRyorry

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 18:09 - Mar 29 by ADStephenson

I might have missed it, but don't think I was asked if I've had regular coaching.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 18:51 - Mar 29 with 1985 viewsN2_Blue

Done!

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 19:08 - Mar 29 with 1969 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 18:44 - Mar 29 by Ryorry

I might have missed it, but don't think I was asked if I've had regular coaching.

That question only applies to people who answer a previous question in a certain way.

The survey basically has 8 separate pathways based on three yes/no questions throughout the survey. The other 7 pathways are skipped and so some questions apply to some but not others.

Thanks all once again

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 20:41 - Mar 29 with 1911 viewsCoachRob

Nice little questionnaire - quite enjoyed the final question!

Good luck with the dissertation.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2021 20:59]
Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 08:33 - Mar 30 with 1739 viewsSaleAway

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 20:41 - Mar 29 by CoachRob

Nice little questionnaire - quite enjoyed the final question!

Good luck with the dissertation.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2021 20:59]

The problem with the final question, is that it is a thesis subject in its own right.

Having said that, interesting questionnaire. My only feeling about it is that it doesn't really address the full breadth of sports coaching.

As an example, at the racquets club where I play squash and tennis, we have elite level coaches working with performance pathway atheletes, and we have coaches teaching youngsters how to hit a ball, and learn the rules of a new game. How do you compare the value of taking someone from number 2 to number 1 in their age group, to instilling a love of a new sport to a group of kids.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 08:43 - Mar 30 with 1730 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 08:33 - Mar 30 by SaleAway

The problem with the final question, is that it is a thesis subject in its own right.

Having said that, interesting questionnaire. My only feeling about it is that it doesn't really address the full breadth of sports coaching.

As an example, at the racquets club where I play squash and tennis, we have elite level coaches working with performance pathway atheletes, and we have coaches teaching youngsters how to hit a ball, and learn the rules of a new game. How do you compare the value of taking someone from number 2 to number 1 in their age group, to instilling a love of a new sport to a group of kids.

‘How do you compare the value of taking someone from number 2 to number 1 in their age group, to instilling a love of a new sport to a group of kids’.

Good question. Which is handy really as my dissertation title I’ve decided on is:
‘The importance of coaches for the success and development of sports teams and individuals’

The primary objective for my research is to compare the different ways to measure ‘success’ for a coach to both individuals and teams and how the actual role of a coach influences both of these things.

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 08:47 - Mar 30 with 1725 viewsdirtyboy

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 08:33 - Mar 30 by SaleAway

Hugely challenging isn't it?

I'm relatively new to coaching, but I've been lucky enough to work on occassion with a British Record holder and also, those kids who are 8-10 just getting into the sport.

Athlete development has long been the holy grail of all sports, but I'm a great believer of keeping the kids happy and ensuring they want to stay in the sport as being a measure for younger ones. Having been on a GB squad selection as a kid but actually hating every moment of what I did meant I left the sport.

I'm acutely aware that success doesn't mean much if you're not loving what you do.

At elite level, it's different of course, everything is measured and those athletes are target driven and times/wins are generally the measure when someone is paid to do what they do. (Although you'd still want to see them turn up with a smile!)

Coaching is hugely underrated and missunderstood my so many....mostly parents!
Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 09:10 - Mar 30 with 1711 viewsSaleAway

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 08:43 - Mar 30 by The_Romford_Blue

‘How do you compare the value of taking someone from number 2 to number 1 in their age group, to instilling a love of a new sport to a group of kids’.

Good question. Which is handy really as my dissertation title I’ve decided on is:
‘The importance of coaches for the success and development of sports teams and individuals’

The primary objective for my research is to compare the different ways to measure ‘success’ for a coach to both individuals and teams and how the actual role of a coach influences both of these things.

Yeah, its a fascinating subject. I come at this from the point of being on the exec committee of previous mentioned club. We had to instill a new head pro for the squash section, a few years ago, and chose an ex-professional, who turned out to be a very strong elite coach, but a very poor club pro. His interest was only really in taking excellent players, and making them better. The club though needed the school outreach programs, and the saturday morning kids clubs, and the junior pathway work. All the things that take young kids, and bring them up. One of the most exciting things for me, was seeing a 13/14 year old kid, start to join the mens teams, and grow up, before your eyes, as they suddenly started being treated like adults. Also interesting watching someone who has played with coached kids all their life, suddenly come across an idiosyncratic 65 year old who has an unorthodox but beautifully honed game.

The value also of a coach being an evangelist for the game, and/or club that they represent is really hard to quantify. Our latest pro was a decent county player, but never played professionally. What she could do though was organise a team of coaches to provide a full range of services across the club, and drive participation and enjoyment within it. To me, that adds so much more value, than seeing a few elite players get a little bit better.

However, the elite coach probably earns more.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 12:12 - Mar 30 with 1608 viewstractordownsouth

When you say any level is 12 months on the right-wing for St Buryan Reserves in Trelawny League Division 4 acceptable?

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 12:50 - Mar 30 with 1586 viewsWallingford_Boy

Done.

I coach sport at a reasonable level and have completed many courses/qualifications as well as worked with professional academies, so do reach out to me if you need any other help.

Cheers.

RIP Sir Bobby

Dissertation Survey (6 minutes approximately) on 13:27 - Mar 30 with 1562 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

Done, hope it's helpful.

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024